The Arrival of Dead Space 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Samcro810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Samcro810
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

Dead Space was the first Xbox 360 game I bought. When I first looked into open deep space while I was in a vacuum, I was in awe. The graphics were brilliant from this view. The planets and stars were impressively vivid, giving me a sense of wonder of what may be out there. On the flipside, this was a very gruesome game, where the true delight of playing it rested. The necromorphs were savage monsters that could only die by being ripped limb by limb. The most entertaining aspect to me personally was the atmosphere, constantly keeping me in suspense and struggling to stay alive and to be alert at all times. Then there is the ending which I thought was classic and worthy of the title sci-fi horror.

Dead Space received mixed reactions from various critics, people either loved it or thought it to be insignificant, merely a footnote in the reviews. To me, it was intense and exhilarating. The sequel arrives early next year, promising an improved experience and even a multiplayer mode. The multiplayer seems to have potential, pitting a team of humans against a team of necromorphs. Isaac Clarke's new suit is more polished and has more style. There are a greater variety of necromorphs as well as new weapons. Stasis and kinesis remain as they should. Isaac even has a voice this time around.

Please post your thoughts on Dead Space 2, positive or negative, I'd appreciate the feedback!

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19584 Posts
The first game was a fun action game with great graphics, a few cool gameplay ideas and phenomenal sound design...but I wouldn't call it a great horror game, and it was wayyy too derivative of games like System Shock 2 and Doom 3. I got a huge sense of deja-vu throughout the entire game. The second game sounds like it'll focus more on action than horror - which is probably a good decision, since that was the first game's strength. I'm not looking forward to the multiplayer however, since nothing about Dead Space made me think "wow, this game would be so much better if it was more like Left4Dead".
Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
Should be a fun game.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44618 Posts
Dead Space made many attempts at survival horror before this look like crap, every aspect of this game was fine-tuned and polished, Dead Space is truly the best survival horror out there, still though I'm worried about Dead Space 2, two of the senior designers that helped make Dead Space the excellent title that it was are now working for Activision, and considering they're making it an action game instead of keeping it horror has me uneasy. Anyhow, yeah, Dead Space did get mixed reviews but part of that is because it's a new franchise breaking new ground and people need time to know what to think, after all reviewers (IMO) are the worst for having an original opinion about games, plus Dead Space released that same 1 month timespan that other highly anticipated games were released on, like Fable 2, Fallout 3, Little Big Planet, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Left 4 Dead, Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider Underworld, Far Cry 2, Gears of War 2, Resistance 2, Call of Duty World At War, Endwar.. I mean Dead Space that's a lot of significant competition, releasing then made it hard to be noticed. Holiday releases haven't been the same ever since.
nav_auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nav_auron
Member since 2005 • 15619 Posts

Premium Edition for me. Extraction would've been an excuse for me to use my Wii again, but I'd rather have it on PS3.

Excited for Dead Space 2. While I'll be focussing on singleplayer, I'm glad that the multiplayer is purely objective-based.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Already played Extraction on the Wii. I'm grabbing up Dead Space 2 for PC, for sure. I cannot wait... and I'm loving the multiplayer-horde mode.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19584 Posts

Dead Space made many attempts at survival horror before this look like crap, every aspect of this game was fine-tuned and polished, Dead Space is truly the best survival horror out there, still though I'm worried about Dead Space 2, two of the senior designers that helped make Dead Space the excellent title that it was are now working for Activision, and considering they're making it an action game instead of keeping it horror has me uneasy. Anyhow, yeah, Dead Space did get mixed reviews but part of that is because it's a new franchise breaking new ground and people need time to know what to thinklamprey263

I wouldn't say that Dead Space broke any new ground. The only original ideas in it were the anti-gravity sections and the in-character menus - other than that the game was pretty much System Shock 2 with Doom 3's scares.
I wouldn't say that it was a great horror game either - after the first hour the enemy locations became incredibly predictable (you could even tell when enemies were in the room because of the music), and by that point you were armed to the teeth with powerful weaponry anyway, so you almost never felt like you were in a situation that you couldn't handle. And the first hour wasn't all that scary to begi with.

Great game though.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Dead Space may not have broke new ground but I enjoyed it even more than System Shock & definitely more than Doom 3. Sure it lost its edge as a horror game halfway through or so but it was still intense & a great TPS the whole way through.