THE ABANDONED MASTERPIECE K1 kickboxing grand prix...The greatest strategic fighter in console HISTORY!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Guerrilla999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Guerrilla999
Member since 2020 • 12 Posts

I remember back in the day when karate champ hit the arcade!!

As a kid that grew up in a rural Asian culture I was really psyched to have cool realistic martial arts competitive games made for head-to-head combat against your buddy

then the street fighter 2 era hit and it was an absolute fight game Revolution

The main thing that bothered me was the apparent addition of silly characters that didn't make sense in a martial arts contest and the weirdiest of all the "knockdown trope" (where a player was knocked down flat and in a seemingly comatose position while the opponent may land one single "free hit" before you magically sprung back to life seemingly unaffected) this ridiculous trope seemed to persist thruought the genera but was nonetheless tolerable

As each new and exciting title was released they all fell prey to the same silly tropes and I always found myself going back to what I consider the king of strategic fighting games...K1

Although by today's standards the graphics and animations are archaic the fact that K1 Still Remains as the only international kickboxing title ever released on the console is an absolute tragedy

When you consider that old school Stadium MUAY THAI actually included a series of incredible Greco-Roman slam maneuvers its nothing short of a TRAGEDY that Muay Thai itself never made an inroad into the console fighting game genre!!!

I can't believe it's 2020 and with all the MMA hype we literally don't have a Muay Thai game of any kind EVER!!!!

All the game developers would have to do is take the K1 series... modernize it and add a series of huge counter slams designed to break up the punch/ kick/ block /perry contest (the same way that the genius mechanic of Tekken and K1 figured out)

It would be a dream come true to have a realistic fighter based on a Tekken/ K1 Style of combat completely devoid of silly characters like schoolgirls and pandas

The original K1 series still holds up in its depictions of the kickboxing contest

This game series was literally a masterpiece

it's hard to believe it was abandoned so long ago

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 42553 Posts

I would say, Blog this cause this is a blog.