The 7th gaming gen was so mediocre. Thank the Elder Gods it's been over for years now, sorry not sorry

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 499 Posts

I starting taking gaming seriously in my early teens. By that time I got a 360 and was blindly loyal to the latest Call of Dutys' that came out. But speaking beyond that series and more about the 7th gen....yeah gaming was going nowhere. Sorry to say it.

The only good games popped up practically once every two years. Beyond that it was macho shooters with fake so called "stories," I.e. Black Ops II....not that anyone cared for them anyway, but they dominated and made more money than the following titles I'm mentioning, and most people didn't care:

- Mirror's Edge

- God of War III

- Heavenly Sword

- Remember Me

- Borderlands

These all came out before studios saw more potential in open worlder RPGs. Care to critique anyone?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Gen 7 was kind of a messy transition period for gaming. Indie gaming was just starting out, AAA began implementing a lot of lousy business practices, some great companies like Midway went under. That said, even though CoD and Assassin's Creed kept stealing the show, a lot of fantastic games came out in this time period, along with newfound access to older classics. It was a bumpy ride, but a fun one nonetheless.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@sanghelle56 said:

I starting taking gaming seriously in my early teens. By that time I got a 360 and was blindly loyal to the latest Call of Dutys' that came out. But speaking beyond that series and more about the 7th gen....yeah gaming was going nowhere. Sorry to say it.

The only good games popped up practically once every two years. Beyond that it was macho shooters with fake so called "stories," I.e. Black Ops II....not that anyone cared for them anyway, but they dominated and made more money than the following titles I'm mentioning, and most people didn't care:

- Mirror's Edge

- God of War III

- Heavenly Sword

- Remember Me

- Borderlands

These all came out before studios saw more potential in open worlder RPGs. Care to critique anyone?

Remember me deserves a sequel it's such a hidden gem and I would love another Mirror's Edge.

DonaId

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DonaId
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts

Big D, I prefer this gen. Ps1/n64/sat and ps2/gc/Xbox, but there were some phenomenal gen 7 titles

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I had a great time last gen myself. A few of the games that I loved were:

- Gears of War games

- Lost Odyssey

- Bayonetta 1 and 2

- Vanquish

- Street Fighter IV games

- Marvel vs. Capcom 3

- Dragon’s Dogma

- Dragon’s Crown

- Bioshock games

- Grand Theft Auto IV

- Tomb Raider

- Ninja Gaiden II

- Uncharted 1, 2, and 3

- God of War III

- Blazblue games

- Metal Gear Solid 4

- New Super Mario Bros. U

- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

- Super Mario 3D World

and many more. I played a ton of excellent games last gen.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Thought seventh generation did plenty. @Archangel3371 overall has most the games I would have listed, they're some of the greatest games of all time in my view_

If I added it would be the depth of Makai Senki Disgaea Surī, while sum don't like the story or ageing graphics this has more depth than previous entries.

Media Molecules efforts as well, Little Big Planet predates Minecraft, and Tearaway was an amazing and innovative 3D platformer still with nothing of similar vane.

Add Splatoon, which sure wouldn't be perfected till Splatoon 2 but still turned the wheel on third person arena shooters.

And finally the best and most polished Tekken game (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)

*If all people followed was heavy global promotions such as stellar flop Battlefront? Well it sucks for you to be that gullible honestly. And shouldn't be seen as representing the entire seventh generation. Today's marketing is no less the same; Anthem and Fallout 76 having two of the biggest global marketing campaigns within the past four months.

Also lets not forget Evolve existed and was an early eight generation marketed juggernaut. And turned out to be a shallow game marketed towards people willing to burn money on a pitched concept than quality execution.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

I agreea and disagree basically.... I don't know how else to put it in many ways.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

DLC, Trophies/Acheivements, internet connection ... Indie, digital store ...

They all integrated those stuff during the X360, PS3 and Wii/WiiU gen.

So yeah many games where very crappy or not so great. I did hate that gen a lot ...

Final Fantasy became a joke

Too many Bro shooting game

Too many shit DLC

So far I love my PS4 and Vita. I'm a little disappointed by the Switch. But yeah it is miles above the X360/PS3 gen for sure.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Gen 7 was great: there was so much innovation it was mind-melting. Of course it also got bogged down in uncreative CoD and Gears cloning too, which is what most people complain about, with good reason.

Now gen 8 is the most generic "same but bigger" thing ever: 80% of the games that come out these days you literally have already played them last gen, only smaller in scale.

DonaId

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DonaId
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts

HD was such a mind blowing jump from SD and indies flourished

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

To be honest I actually enjoyed the 7th generation of gaming. We had a lot of greate games such as...

Ace combat six and Assault horizon where great games, as where the 7th Katamari games, Albeit Namco's micro-transaction policy with Ace combat 6 and Beautiful Katamari did rub me the wrong way. Also, Soul Caliber 4 was awesome IMO.

The cod and assassion's creed games where pretty good most of the time. Granted, they look fairly dated now but back then I was impressed with my PS3's visuals.

Gran Trusimo 5 was a mixed bag for me, though mainly due to the fact that a lot of the cars didn't have interiors in them, and that the license test had little to no bearing on story progression, (where as previous Gran Trusimo games actually required you getting the various licenses in order to advance.) Still better than that awful excuse they called a Gran Trusimo game for the PSP they came out with. I think I can speak for everyone when I say we'd much rather had a remnake of Gran Trusimo 2 with NO new cars than that steaming pile of mess. Forza 3, on the other hand, was quite enjoyable.

There where a lot of other great games during the time as well. Elder scrolls and Fallout (When they played properly without low fps and weird glitches) Halo, Mirror's edge, Minecraft, the Pokemon and mario games, The Tom Clancy Hawx series, Battlefield Bad Company, Fable, Portal 2, Star Wars the Force Unleashed, I could go on forever.

heljar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By heljar
Member since 2016 • 176 Posts

@warmblur: "Remember me" was ok, but it was disappointing. The sections where you had to alter someone's memory was very cool and well thought-out. But there was too few of them. I think I altered 4 or 5 memories throughout my whole playtime. And the sections between was just an average boring action game. I've tried replaying it a few times. But I just get so bored walking about shooting enemies until the first memory alteration I just quit before I get there.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

Lots of great things to play last gen, hardly mediocre. But yes, for some, it was a downturn. We saw lots of studios revered for their past successes fall on hard times due to the increased costs of development. I think we are still seeing the aftermath of that even today.

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 Enragedhydra
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

Seventh generation was probably my favourite and I have a massive library to pick from.

Some of my favourites
Borderlands 2
Halo 3
Medal of Honor
Castle Crashers
Gears 1/2/3
Sly Cooper
Battlefield Bad Company
Bioshock
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#15 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

The 7th gaming generation had it's ups & downs (variety of games, but PSN hacking was a big deal). But, it was better than 8th gaming generation & I'll leave it at that.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Gen 7 was better than gen 8. Not sure if I'm getting older and just not having enough time for gaming. I see myself playing less games now.