GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 2562 Posts

I'm currently in San Antonio without electricity. The Xbox and Playstation are completely useless not only without electricity but the digital games on them are unplayable without an internet connection, including the single player games.

Enter the Switch. I've been able to charge it when the power occasionally returns. The vast majority of the library I own is on cartridge. The one digital game I have (Hades) is still playable without an online connection.

Thank goodness for competition that allows for at least one console platform that doesn't require an online connection.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9777 Posts

Don't think any of the main gaming platforms require an always online feature (probably more depends on the game itself), yet do agree that it's good to have choices. Variety is the spice of life and do not like the idea of one faction controlling the whole monopoly.

Personally a big supporter of handheld and mobile gaming as well. Do enjoy my stationary gaming too but something nice about picking up my device and taking it as I go.

For the go recommend a matte screen overlay as well, really helps. And can find one for almost any given device. Switch/ 3DS included. They're cheap and useful.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 6068 Posts

@GalvatronType_R said:

I'm currently in San Antonio without electricity. The Xbox and Playstation are completely useless not only without electricity but the digital games on them are unplayable without an internet connection, including the single player games.

Enter the Switch. I've been able to charge it when the power occasionally returns. The vast majority of the library I own is on cartridge. The one digital game I have (Hades) is still playable without an online connection.

Thank goodness for competition that allows for at least one console platform that doesn't require an online connection.

Is your gripe about an online connection or consoles requiring electricity? If you can charge Switch when the power returns, can't you play something on the other two?

Be glad you have one console to use as a form of entertainment during your power emergency.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts

I think Texas needs to fix their broken power grid before starting the epic battle to have games printed on physical copies and requiring no internet to run them. Only third world countries have their power go down from cold temperatures.

But if I was in their place, I doubt I'd be playing games since I'd be busy hoarding fuel and weapons for the end of times.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 627 Posts

I’m not a fan of how a lot of games rely too much on an internet connection or DLC, I miss when it was all just on one physical disc and no need for updates, Downloads, etc.