Tear-jerking: Saddest Music in Video Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

What is the Saddest Music in Video Games. You can either talk about the entire soundtrack or a specific song, but it has to be sad/emotional. You can mention the part of the game where the sad music was put in, but if features spoilers please spoiler block!

#2 Posted by Ish_basic (5019 posts) -
Loading Video...

Guild Wars 2, Fear Not this Night by Jeremy Soule. Occurs at the ending and sadly was not included on the official OST. I can't think of anything else that has come close for me.

#3 Posted by mastermetal777 (3236 posts) -
Loading Video...

Possibly the saddest song I've heard in any game. I want to spoil the details, so here goes: You get to battle your best friend's father, who has been unwillingly forced to guard the ultimate power in this game, and the fact is he wants you to kill him so that you can free him from his eternal prison, which had been his fate.

#4 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6856 posts) -

Elizabeth from bioshock infinite-

Loading Video...

You were there from ICO-

Loading Video...

#5 Posted by c_rakestraw (14626 posts) -

I think Kentucky Route Zero's "Too Late to Love You" takes the cake on that category.

Loading Video...

#6 Posted by Jacanuk (18733 posts) -

@behardy24 said:

What is the Saddest Music in Video Games. You can either talk about the entire soundtrack or a specific song, but it has to be sad/emotional. You can mention the part of the game where the sad music was put in, but if features spoilers please spoiler block!

Music alone doesn't do it, music has to be accompanied by something either a movie scene or some memory.

So for me the saddest thing i have seen was the walking deads good ending. Normally i don't tend to get emotional over games, movies or books, but that scene just felt so fulfilling and a fitting end to that part of the Walking Dead for Telltale.

Now they can move on to other things in the Walking Dead.

#7 Edited by SovietsUnited (2457 posts) -
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Aren't exactly tear-jerkers... but are forlorn and bleak nonetheless

Avatar image for deactivated-5c072abf2e969
#8 Posted by deactivated-5c072abf2e969 (249 posts) -
Loading Video...

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
#9 Posted by harry_james_pot (11408 posts) -

:(

Loading Video...

#10 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6856 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:
Loading Video...

Guild Wars 2, Fear Not this Night by Jeremy Soule. Occurs at the ending and sadly was not included on the official OST. I can't think of anything else that has come close for me.

Awesome soundtrack. Saving it on youtube.

#11 Posted by kingcrimson24 (824 posts) -
Loading Video...

#12 Posted by CrimsonBrute (25406 posts) -

The Other Promise from Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix

Loading Video...

#13 Posted by hecklion101 (44 posts) -

Final Fantasy 8

Mad World

#14 Posted by ZephyrOmega (1 posts) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD55e8LIL9A

"What Should Be" From Star Ocean for the SNES.

This theme plays when you're exploring a village of people afflicted with a disease slowly turning them to stone. To make it even more depressing, in one of the houses you can see a little girl hugging her brother. Both of them are petrified, but the characters remark that the girl seems "still alive, but trapped in stone".

#15 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44181 posts) -

Brahms' "Adagio for Strings" in the original Homeworld. On its own the song is heart wrenching, but in the game you have witnessed the genocide of your people, the burning of your planet, and the currently-ongoing extermination of a few hundred thousand survivors as they rest in cryosleep. Add to this the narrator's disbelief and shock at what is occuring, and, well...just devastating. And all through music and voice acting, there are no people there to emote or anything.

Game has an outstanding soundtrack, criminally overlooked when game soundtracks are mentioned.

Loading Video...

#16 Edited by uninspiredcup (34431 posts) -

^^ Le sadness.

Some pro 1999 voice acting as well, can hear the dudes voice breaking up.

Loading Video...

Always annoys me when Metal Gear Solid gets credit for being a cinematic game, Homeworld blew it out of the water quality wise.

#17 Posted by CrimsonBrute (25406 posts) -

NECRO THREAD!!!!

-LOCKED-