Team Bondi (L.A Noire Dev) Bankrupt? Studio dissolved.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

From gaf:

Originally Posted by Strummerjones: Team Bondi are now bankrupt and the remaining staff are going to be bought by KMM, including Brendan McNamara who was instrumental in sealing the deal. Apparently Depth Analysis (the sister company who own the face tech) are also in some trouble after making little to no money off of LA Noire (like TB themselves).

Rockstar own the LA Noire ip, so it will be interesting to see what happens next.

Thats after this:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...emails-article
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-seeking-buyer

Shocking turn of events. Have to say after eating up Sony's $20 million and then taking four more years working with Rockstar and god knows how much more money, it was to be expected. But the game sold really well. Topped the NPD charts two months in a row afterall.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Wow... it sounds like such a poorly run studio, so I can't say I'm surprised. Hopefully the grunts can find better working conditions somewhere else.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 S0lidSnake

Wow... it sounds like such a poorly run studio, so I can't say I'm surprised. Hopefully the grunts can find better working conditions somewhere else.rragnaar

Actually some of the developers who left the studio after they refused working 100+ hours a week went to the same studio Team Bondi is now merging into. :lol:

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Yeah sounds like a terrible studio that's badly mismanaged so it is not a huge shock that something like this is happening. I wouldn't work 100 hour work weeks for anything :P Maybe for a date with Natalie Portman or something.
minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 minh800
Member since 2011 • 1166 Posts

I can't imagine they're bankrupt. If Konami could profit from MGS4's sales then I'm sure that LA Noire gave them some profit, and since there's still a PC version coming out, they could make some more money. I think this merger has more to do with the bad reputation the studio got after working conditions were revealed. Here's a source on that: http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/221676/rumor-l-a-noire-dev-team-bondi-merging-with-film-studio-to-avoid-killing-next-game/

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]Wow... it sounds like such a poorly run studio, so I can't say I'm surprised. Hopefully the grunts can find better working conditions somewhere else.S0lidSnake

Actually some of the developers who left the studio after they refused working 100+ hours a week went to the same studio Team Bondi is now merging into. :lol:

Is it just me or is it ironic how rragnaar is in your sig and you say he should step down, while at the same time you two are talking RIGHT now?
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Honestly, I couldn't even really see a L.A. Noire 2 coming out anyway. I mean I guess they could do it but...

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]Wow... it sounds like such a poorly run studio, so I can't say I'm surprised. Hopefully the grunts can find better working conditions somewhere else.kris9031998

Is it just me or is it ironic how rragnaar is in your sig and you say he should step down, while at the same time you two are talking RIGHT now?

He was joking around, and a bunch of people thought it was serious. If you've got any interest in e-drama, here is the whole story.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 S0lidSnake

I can't imagine they're bankrupt. If Konami could profit from MGS4's sales then I'm sure that LA Noire gave them some profit, and since there's still a PC version coming out, they could make some more money. I think this merger has more to do with the bad reputation the studio got after working conditions were revealed. Here's a source on that: http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/221676/rumor-l-a-noire-dev-team-bondi-merging-with-film-studio-to-avoid-killing-next-game/

minh800

Rockstar owns the L.A Noire IP. They published it. They definitely got a huge chunk of the cash.

miso870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 miso870
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="minh800"]

S0lidSnake

Rockstar owns the L.A Noire IP. They published it. They definitely got a huge chunk of the cash.

I'm sure R* made profit off LA Noire since they funded the project after Sony dropped it but that doesn't mean Team Bondi is bankrupt. They probably just couldn't find another publisher to fund their next project.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Is it just me or is it ironic how rragnaar is in your sig and you say he should step down, while at the same time you two are talking RIGHT now?kris9031998
They have some...history. They used to be e-married until S0lid asked rag to step down so he could devote more time to him.

On topic: I guess I should be amazed at the fact even a million+ seller can't keep a dev study afloat, but then again, this one game had an abnormally long dev cycle and apparently came from a studio with big mismanagement issues.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Expected. Brendan McNamara ran that studio into the ground.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#14 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Weird that they couldn't stay afloat even after the game topped the NPD charts. You'd think that would have been enough to keep them alive. All those management issues must have been more costly than we thought.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="kris9031998"] Is it just me or is it ironic how rragnaar is in your sig and you say he should step down, while at the same time you two are talking RIGHT now?SteelAttack

They have some...history. They used to be e-married until S0lid asked rag to step down so he could devote more time to him.

On topic: I guess I should be amazed at the fact even a million+ seller can't keep a dev study afloat, but then again, this one game had an abnormally long dev cycle and apparently came from a studio with big mismanagement issues.

The guy above you may have a point. Rockstar refused to publish their next game, and they simply couldnt find another publisher. Sony's definitely not going to work with them after losing $20 million.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
Good riddance. I hope the low level guys land on their feet.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I'm with Rag on this one. It sounds like to me there was a lot of trouble and drama going on during the development of L.A. Noire and after reading this, I feel that those factors were primarily responsible for shutting down the developer. It's too bad though...I keep hearing how great L.A. Noire is.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

It's definitely plausible...they could go bankrupt very quickly if they couldn't find a publisher for another project. Once LA Noire was finished they would no longer be receiving money from Rockstar, and they wouldn't start making royalties until all of their development costs were made back (and I'm betting those costs were pretty damn high). So they would just be burning money until they had another project going, and I doubt they would have enough money in the bank to do that for very long.

Either way it sounds like the project was mismanaged from the start, so I doubt anybody is going to cry any tears for Brendan McNamara.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

I can't say that I'm surprised. The game played like it was the result of a project that became broken and had to be pieced together into something that could be sent to market. I was disappointed by L.A. Noire, too much unrealized potential and bad gameplay.

Now if only someone could rework the game to fix all of its problems and release a revised version that actually lives up to the hype...