Tales of Vesperia announced for PS3, Tales of Gracious announced for Wii

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FishSquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FishSquared
Member since 2007 • 773 Posts

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173546

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/01/goodness-gracious-tales-of-graces-announced-for-wii/

I'm pretty excited for Tales of Graces, and It's cool that if you don't own a 360 a very great game will be comming your way if you own a PS3.

I suspect the graphics will be slightly better on the PS3 as well.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I hope this isn't an April Fool's joke. The PS3 needs more JRPGs.

FishSquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FishSquared

rragnaar
I doubt it is, Kotaku and joystiq, and 1up all have it up. And, they all listed the jokes this year, this wasn't one of them.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 33820 Posts

Well that's certainly good news for PS3 owners. Tales of Vesperia is an excellent game. I'll have to get back to it sometime because there's still a good deal of things I'd like to do in it.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

good news on both counts. vesparia seems interesting enough, though ill have to do a bit of research on it. ive only played 2 tales games and im pretty mixed on the series. symphonia was good fun, but i didnt like legendia enough to even finish it.

it looks like graces is bringing back the overworld, so thats nice.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

rragnaar

Oh it's real. Fear not. PS3 version of Vesperia will have a new playable character. And in addition, PSP is getting Tales of VS. A game apparently influence by Dissidia Final Fantasy.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
One year later, extra content. Same old story. Screw over the early adoptors. If they release free DLC, great. If they release paid DLC, urgh, fine. If they keep it exclusive to PS3... on come the hate as they continue this stupid development pattern.
N3MO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 N3MO
Member since 2002 • 20333 Posts
One year later, extra content. Same old story. Screw over the early adoptors. If they release free DLC, great. If they release paid DLC, urgh, fine. If they keep it exclusive to PS3... on come the hate as they continue this stupid development pattern.MAILER_DAEMON
Why doesn't Namco just cut the crap and release it for both patforms at the sametime? I hate feeling burned by them because I jumped on one of their games early. I am going to pull what I did with the PS3 version of Eternal Sonata. Pick up a used copy so Namco doesn't see my money. I refuse to throw money behind stunts like this.
Albert_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Albert_King
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

hooray, that is really a good news. i am a fan of the tales series

FishSquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FishSquared
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]One year later, extra content. Same old story. Screw over the early adoptors. If they release free DLC, great. If they release paid DLC, urgh, fine. If they keep it exclusive to PS3... on come the hate as they continue this stupid development pattern.N3MO
Why doesn't Namco just cut the crap and release it for both patforms at the sametime? I hate feeling burned by them because I jumped on one of their games early. I am going to pull what I did with the PS3 version of Eternal Sonata. Pick up a used copy so Namco doesn't see my money. I refuse to throw money behind stunts like this.

I understand that you may be a tad bit upset, but that's going way overboard IMO. It's not like the story (The main point of JRPGs) is any different. Just because the graphics are a tad better and some random DLC is released doesn't really break a game for me. Take NG2 for example, I wont be getting the PS3 version even if it looks prettier and has a horde mode.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="N3MO"][QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]One year later, extra content. Same old story. Screw over the early adoptors. If they release free DLC, great. If they release paid DLC, urgh, fine. If they keep it exclusive to PS3... on come the hate as they continue this stupid development pattern.FishSquared

I understand that you may be a tad bit upset, but that's going way overboard IMO. It's not like the story (The main point of JRPGs) is any different. Just because the graphics are a tad better and some random DLC is released doesn't really break a game for me. Take NG2 for example, I wont be getting the PS3 version even if it looks prettier and has a horde mode.

It's not random DLC though. Namco has done this kind of thing in the past-- they take a game, say it's exclusive (Tales of Symphonia on GC, Eternal Sonata on 360), then port it to a PlayStation system with things like new characters, new battle abilities, AND new story sequences that enhance the story. It's a complete rip for the people who bought it originally, just as GC owners who bought RE4 were denied the full story when the PS2 version had extra content. If they would somehow release that content back on the original game via a "Director's Cut" or DLC, then there's no real problem, but it's idiotic to release anything on another console a year later while withholding content when there's no exclusivity deal.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Honestly, I'm not that bothered that the PS3 version of Vesperia may get some extra content; the 360 version was awesome anough as it was ;)......okay, maybe it is a little annoying :|.......ah well.

And I totally want to get Tales of Graces for the Wii. :D

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

New content with extra characters is annoying and does get me angry especially if you got the first one that came out.

I do have Vesperia for the 360. And although I sort of criticized the game for poorly conceived character designs (well, in my eyes anyway) it's still a solid JRPG that I think all JRPG fans should play because I think it's the best one on current gen systems. So seeing how the PS3 version is better and has a pretty cool new character with extra stuff in it, and since I don't own a PS3, this news kind of sucks.

That's how I feel about it. I hope Namco at least puts the extra stuff as DLC for 360 owners. I highly doubt it, but that would at least even the playing field a bit.

And Namco has been the most notorious and worst DLC spamming offenders among ALL the developers this gen. Have you seen Vesperia or Ace Combat 6's DLC cumulative total? Holy cow it's over $100! So things like Vesperia on the PS3 doesn't surprise me one bit. It's Namco being Namco.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ-Lafleur

Ha, I read the first article more in-depth and saw that there will be a Tales fighting game. I always thought that that would be an awesome idea. 8)

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ASK_Story

Ha, I read the first article more in-depth and saw that there will be a Tales fighting game. I always thought that that would be an awesome idea. 8)

DJ-Lafleur
Like Dissidia. Tales games on the PSP generally sell pretty well in Japan. So I'm not surprised by this move. But a fighting game? Interested on how this will turn out.
argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#16 argianas
Member since 2005 • 6779 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]One year later, extra content. Same old story. Screw over the early adoptors. If they release free DLC, great. If they release paid DLC, urgh, fine. If they keep it exclusive to PS3... on come the hate as they continue this stupid development pattern.N3MO

I get the feeling that MS is paying for timed exclusivity for the 360, judging from the lineup they're getting. If Namco simply made the port a year later as is, it would suffer horribly in sales, so they add in content to entice people to get it, perhaps a second time. It'd still make sense to just offer the new content as DLC - after all it's more profitable to the publisher that way in the long run.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MAILER_DAEMON

[QUOTE="N3MO"][QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]One year later, extra content. Same old story. Screw over the early adoptors. If they release free DLC, great. If they release paid DLC, urgh, fine. If they keep it exclusive to PS3... on come the hate as they continue this stupid development pattern.argianas

I get the feeling that MS is paying for timed exclusivity for the 360, judging from the lineup they're getting. If Namco simply made the port a year later as is, it would suffer horribly in sales, so they add in content to entice people to get it, perhaps a second time. It'd still make sense to just offer the new content as DLC - after all it's more profitable to the publisher that way in the long run.

They didn't pay for exclusivity though... Namco has a history of doing this kind of thing.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
They didn't pay for exclusivity though... Namco has a history of doing this kind of thing. MAILER_DAEMON
Shamelessly stolen from SolidTy over in System Wars: "I have an Issue of PLAY magazine that's about a year and half old, and the Tales of Vesperia team outright said that they were going to port this game to PS3. According to the team, the game was supposed to come out for both HD platforms initially, however Namco had made a deal with M$, and the Timed Excusivity was born. I brought this news to SW back then, and the majority of SW laughed it off, and laughed at PLAY even though they were talking to the Team. Oh well, my point is this is OLD news." Furthermore, your earlier post about getting screwed over. You get the game about a year earlier than PS3 users and are upset that Namco throws them a bone with some exclusive content, which I should add, at the moment is only an extra playable character? You must have a very bizarre concept of getting "screwed." I would gladly swap places- I'll take the game last year with one less character and maybe a few fewer quests. And argianas' point still stands- Namco wouldn't be able to sell this to PS3 owners unless it has some exclusive content. Assuming you own both the 360 and PS3, you could pick up a used copy for $30 and just download the extra content for free or pay $60 for the new content...which is a better deal?
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Already have the 360 version of TOV, but it's still nice to see the PS3 getting more JRPGs. I agree though that Namco-Bandai just needs to release games for both platforms instead of "rewarding" the late-buyers. I bought TOV used though, so pooh on them :P

And cool news on the Wii Tales game. I seriously love the Tales series. Just wish I had played the some of the older titles as well...

N3MO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 N3MO

Furthermore, your earlier post about getting screwed over. You get the game about a year earlier than PS3 users and are upset that Namco throws them a bone with some exclusive content, which I should add, at the moment is only an extra playable character? You must have a very bizarre concept of getting "screwed." I would gladly swap places- I'll take the game last year with one less character and maybe a few fewer quests. And argianas' point still stands- Namco wouldn't be able to sell this to PS3 owners unless it has some exclusive content. Assuming you own both the 360 and PS3, you could pick up a used copy for $30 and just download the extra content for free or pay $60 for the new content...which is a better deal?LongZhiZi

Let's ignore what consoles these are on and focus on the fact that Namco is screwing over FANS of the series with this move. I bought the game originally because I am a fan of the series. I own both consoles so I didn't care where it popped up. But as a fan, it burns to see something like this happen with a game that I adored. Eternal Sonata on the PS3 felt more complete with it's extra content added in not because it has extra content. The extra content felt like it was suppose to be in there originally. And I have a feeling that the new content for Vesperia will be the same. There are people that bought a 360 over a PS3 because Vesperia was there. Namco should have planned to offer the extra content in the 360 version with at least a price. And as for attracting PS3 users to picking up the game with extra content... how is this going to make it more attractive to a userbase that originally never had it? Either they want it or they don't. The extra content isn't really going to have much sway in this regard. The game is now available to a userbase that was previously denied it. The real way to attract them is not charging $60 for a year old port. That is part of the reason the likes of Eternal Sonata and Bioshock couldn't move for crap on the PS3.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
[It's not random DLC though. Namco has done this kind of thing in the past-- they take a game, say it's exclusive (Tales of Symphonia on GC, Eternal Sonata on 360), then port it to a PlayStation system with things like new characters, new battle abilities, AND new story sequences that enhance the story. It's a complete rip for the people who bought it originally, just as GC owners who bought RE4 were denied the full story when the PS2 version had extra content. If they would somehow release that content back on the original game via a "Director's Cut" or DLC, then there's no real problem, but it's idiotic to release anything on another console a year later while withholding content when there's no exclusivity deal.MAILER_DAEMON
And the the PS2 version of Tales of Symphonia wasn't even released outside of Japan, screwing us over even further. This platform-exclusive extra content is all stupid. Why even bother buying the game in the first place if they're just going to release a better version on another system later on?
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][It's not random DLC though. Namco has done this kind of thing in the past-- they take a game, say it's exclusive (Tales of Symphonia on GC, Eternal Sonata on 360), then port it to a PlayStation system with things like new characters, new battle abilities, AND new story sequences that enhance the story. It's a complete rip for the people who bought it originally, just as GC owners who bought RE4 were denied the full story when the PS2 version had extra content. If they would somehow release that content back on the original game via a "Director's Cut" or DLC, then there's no real problem, but it's idiotic to release anything on another console a year later while withholding content when there's no exclusivity deal.LordAndrew
And the the PS2 version of Tales of Symphonia wasn't even released outside of Japan, screwing us over even further. This platform-exclusive extra content is all stupid. Why even bother buying the game in the first place if they're just going to release a better version on another system later on?

The PS2 version of Symphonia was a strange case in that Nintendo helped fund the translation, so the main reason it didn't come over is simply because they'd have to start NA localization from scratch. That said, even though the PS2 version had more content in just about every way, they had to drop the framerate from 60 fp/s to 30 fp/s, and even with that the graphics and sound were said to suffer. Just like RE4, there was no definitive version... though RE4 at least got the dignity of the Wii edition.
N3MO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 N3MO
Well I would consider the Wii version the definitive version of Resident Evil 4. It took all the perks each version had over each other and combined it into a final product. Plus added a superior control scheme that neither had.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ASK_Story

Just one more thing I want to add.

I'm sure a lot of Japanese gamers who bought a 360 just for Tales of Vesperia are pretty tee'd off at Namco. Check this out from Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5202789/tales-of-vesperia-rage

I think this is from a disgruntled Japanese gamer who bought a 360 Tales of Vesperia when it was a exclusive.

And seeing the extra features such as twice as more voice overs with the new character, I'm a little upset as well. I'm almost thinking about not playing the rest of Vesperia anymore (I'm still in the first part) and maybe wait for the PS3 version.

Anyway, I hate it when things like this happen and it seems like Namco has a habit of doing this.

It sucks.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]They didn't pay for exclusivity though... Namco has a history of doing this kind of thing. LongZhiZi
Shamelessly stolen from SolidTy over in System Wars: "I have an Issue of PLAY magazine that's about a year and half old, and the Tales of Vesperia team outright said that they were going to port this game to PS3. According to the team, the game was supposed to come out for both HD platforms initially, however Namco had made a deal with M$, and the Timed Excusivity was born. I brought this news to SW back then, and the majority of SW laughed it off, and laughed at PLAY even though they were talking to the Team. Oh well, my point is this is OLD news." Furthermore, your earlier post about getting screwed over. You get the game about a year earlier than PS3 users and are upset that Namco throws them a bone with some exclusive content, which I should add, at the moment is only an extra playable character? You must have a very bizarre concept of getting "screwed." I would gladly swap places- I'll take the game last year with one less character and maybe a few fewer quests. And argianas' point still stands- Namco wouldn't be able to sell this to PS3 owners unless it has some exclusive content. Assuming you own both the 360 and PS3, you could pick up a used copy for $30 and just download the extra content for free or pay $60 for the new content...which is a better deal?

Yeah, whenever a developer does something that seems counterintuitive (FF13 being released on the X360, but not in Japan, Bioshock PS3 being mysteriously cancelled, Fallout DLC only for systems MS likes) I figure money has changed hands.

I don't cry myself to sleep when exclusive content or an 'exclusive' game hits a system I don't own (MSis thebiggest buyer of exclusivity this gen and thus far their pattern seems to be that exclusive DLC is forever, exclusivity on games last a year or so) and I don't see why anyone would either. Exclusivity has always been part of the business.

If someone enjoyed a game back when, I don't see why the impending release of a better version of the game would retroactively spoil whatever time they spent with it.

I'm a big jrpg fan, but I've never messed with the Tales games. However, this gen hasn't exactly suffered from an embarrassment of riches when it comes to jrpgs, so I'll keep an eye on them.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#26 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
I don't see why we're pointing fingers at Namco for this port when this kind of practice is common. Anyway, I'm glad I'll be able to play this game when it's released.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
I don't see why we're pointing fingers at Namco for this port when this kind of practice is common. Anyway, I'm glad I'll be able to play this game when it's released.King9999
This kind of practice is pretty common now, but Namco made it popular. Remember Soul Calibur II? The PS2 version of Tales of Symphonia? They're still doing this crap, but now other companies are doing it too. :(
N3MO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 N3MO
It's stunts like this that piss off and hurt fanbases. While it seems minor to people outside of the fanbase, this is a noteworthy sucker punch to face to it's fanbase. The people throwing money at Namco for every Tales release.
argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 argianas

Yeah, I agree. Then again, it's all business, and the publishers lately have been pushing the limits to see what they can get away with. Why give yoru fanbase free DLC, or $5-10 DLC, for extra content when you can very likely con them into dropping $60? Will the fans they lose offset the increased profit from doing this? Time to find out, it seems. Eternal Sonata didn't have a fanbase to chase away, but Tales does. And from the looks of things, Japanese are buying 360's ONLY because it's getting exclusive JRPG's they want... and it turns out even better versions come out for the PS3. Right after MS started getting some minimal traction in Japan, they pretty much tarnish their reputation again by encouraging this model.

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts

I'm never buying a Namco RPG for the XBOX 360 until I definitely know that there won't be a PS3 version with extra content. I own both Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia, which I have never touched yet, and I'm annoyed that they both are for the PS3 with extra content.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
I'd rather buy the extra stuff for $20 and not $460. I also think that the DLC, if there is to be more, needs to stop being just "codes" and start being things like a new weapon, etc. (Maybe a dungeon?) (Which also happened with RE5 recently.)
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DJ-Lafleur

Just one more thing I want to add.

I'm sure a lot of Japanese gamers who bought a 360 just for Tales of Vesperia are pretty tee'd off at Namco. Check this out from Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5202789/tales-of-vesperia-rage

I think this is from a disgruntled Japanese gamer who bought a 360 Tales of Vesperia when it was a exclusive.

And seeing the extra features such as twice as more voice overs with the new character, I'm a little upset as well. I'm almost thinking about not playing the rest of Vesperia anymore (I'm still in the first part) and maybe wait for the PS3 version.

Anyway, I hate it when things like this happen and it seems like Namco has a habit of doing this.

It sucks.

ASK_Story

Well, I can say I am not THAT angry by all this. :P

But the more I think about it, the more annoyed I do get. One main reason I bought the 360 over PS3 was for vesperia and other RPGs exclusive for the 360, and now many of these exclusives might not be exclusive anymore and go to the PS3! :evil:

Hmph, whatever...>_>

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
It's stunts like this that piss off and hurt fanbases. While it seems minor to people outside of the fanbase, this is a noteworthy sucker punch to face to it's fanbase. The people throwing money at Namco for every Tales release.N3MO
I hate to say it, but the fanbase is the easiest to sucker-punch. They know you are likely to buy any future products from them based off the franchise and will probably get enough fans to buy a second copy of the more "elite" version to more than offset any fans that refuse to buy future iterations. Going back to my last post and your response, while you may want to leave the PS3/360 out of it, it's important to my argument that it's selling to a new userbase, so I have to keep the fact that it's becoming a multiplat. It basically goes like this- Vesperia is old hat now. It had its big marketing push already and Namco isn't going to do another for another release of the same game. That's just not financially sensible. So what's the incentive for a PS3 owner to pick up an "old" game? You're not going to see another ToV impressions thread here on GGD just for the PS3 release, so there's significantly less excitement about picking up a copy. To counteract this, Namco packs more into the game and fine-tunes parts. Then they can go to the PS3 owner and say, "this isn't an old game, this is the REAL version. It's got the whole story we wanted to tell. It's superior." How much of an impact this actually has, I don't know, but I'm sure there's a certain psychological factor that makes companies do this. I want to buy RE5 for the PC, but if that ends up releasing in October at $50, I'm not buying it until it's $20. But if the port gets a new ending which is going to be cannon, I'm far more likely to jump on board day one. I agree with you- as a PS3 owner, I should just be happy to get the game. But I can honestly say that if there was absolutely nothing extra in this version of ToV, I probably wouldn't be looking to buy it nearly as quickly. If it was just a straight port, I'd probably just wait until it's on a greatest hits lineup. Sixty bucks is too much for a game that feels old, even if it's new to me. Call me shallow if you will, but I think this is something that all people experience in some regard.
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#35 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

I never got around to getting Tales of Vesperia for the 360 but it was a game that I really wanted since I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube. Now that Tov is coming to the PS3 with new content I'll just wait to get it. I also want to get my hands on Dawn of a New World but Tales of Gracious sounds pretty sweet. The Wii could seriously use some good RPG's

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ASK_Story

I never got around to getting Tales of Vesperia for the 360 but it was a game that I really wanted since I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube. Now that Tov is coming to the PS3 with new content I'll just wait to get it. I also want to get my hands on Dawn of a New World but Tales of Gracious sounds pretty sweet. The Wii could seriously use some good RPG's

princesszelda
IMO, I recommend playing Dawn of the World only because it's a sequel to Symphonia. I'm not sure if it's a good sequel but if you liked Symphonia, I'm sure it's still worth playing. I'm saying this because I saw some new pics for Tales of Graces and it looks like the primary Tales' team isn't behind it. First of all, the character designer is a different artist, not the main Tales' guy. This might be no big deal but remember Tales of Legendia? Anyway, the main character designs for Graces look...um...odd. He looks like he's wearing a Elvis Presley costume with bell-bottoms! Yeah, it's bizarre a design. Of course bad character designs doesn't mean it'll be a bad game but I would wait to see how this game is reviewed before wanting it. That's what I'd do.
N3MO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 N3MO

But I can honestly say that if there was absolutely nothing extra in this version of ToV, I probably wouldn't be looking to buy it nearly as quickly. If it was just a straight port, I'd probably just wait until it's on a greatest hits lineup. Sixty bucks is too much for a game that feels old, even if it's new to me. Call me shallow if you will, but I think this is something that all people experience in some regard. LongZhiZi

My point in my original reply was the biggest issue Namco will have selling the game is not weather or not it's a straight point, it's that they are taking a year old game and selling it for $60. They would have a much easier time selling it at a budget price. Straight port or not.

IMO, I recommend playing Dawn of the World only because it's a sequel to Symphonia. I'm not sure if it's a good sequel but if you liked Symphonia, I'm sure it's still worth playing. ASK_Story

The main Tales team did not do Dawn of a New World either. Let's also add that Dawn of a New World is gawd awful. If you have any love for the original Symphonia, DO NOT play Dawn of a New World.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ASK_Story

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]But I can honestly say that if there was absolutely nothing extra in this version of ToV, I probably wouldn't be looking to buy it nearly as quickly. If it was just a straight port, I'd probably just wait until it's on a greatest hits lineup. Sixty bucks is too much for a game that feels old, even if it's new to me. Call me shallow if you will, but I think this is something that all people experience in some regard. N3MO

My point in my original reply was the biggest issue Namco will have selling the game is not weather or not it's a straight point, it's that they are taking a year old game and selling it for $60. They would have a much easier time selling it at a budget price. Straight port or not.

IMO, I recommend playing Dawn of the World only because it's a sequel to Symphonia. I'm not sure if it's a good sequel but if you liked Symphonia, I'm sure it's still worth playing. ASK_Story

The main Tales team did not do Dawn of a New World either. Let's also add that Dawn of a New World is gawd awful. If you have any love for the original Symphonia, DO NOT play Dawn of a New World.

Thanks for the info. Did not know that. Basically, the lesson here is, don't play any other Tales game that is NOT developed by the main Tales team (the team that made the original Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, and the original Tales games like Phantasia, etc.)
argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 argianas

I also agree that games that are ports of year-old games shouldn't start off at $60, even if there's a bit of new content added in. $30 or $40 would be much better I think. Actually, I got Eternal Sonata for $30 over Thanksgiving, wasn't too hard to find slashed half off in sales. Actually, it probably would have been a huge help if they didn't release a year-old port (both ES and BioShock) up against new games like Fable II, Fallout 3, LBP, etc. If you're going to release an old port, do it in like July or August or something, seriously. Late October for the full $60 is just a bad idea all around.