deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I hope people find a way to pirate microstractions **** 2K.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I can't even imagine the fuckton of money they've made off of GTA Online, so I don't see this as shocking news at all. It's a sensible business decision even if it will piss some people off. Not saying I like it, but I do really look forward to RDR2 for its single player and not so much whatever money grabbing nonsense its online portion will consist of. I haven't really read or watched anything for specific details, but my assumption is that the microtransactions will stay in the online portions of their games. As long as that shit doesn't start leaking to SP I feel like I can ignore it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@SoNin360 said:

I can't even imagine the fuckton of money they've made off of GTA Online, so I don't see this as shocking news at all. It's a sensible business decision even if it will piss some people off. Not saying I like it, but I do really look forward to RDR2 for its single player and not so much whatever money grabbing nonsense its online portion will consist of. I haven't really read or watched anything for specific details, but my assumption is that the microtransactions will stay in the online portions of their games. As long as that shit doesn't start leaking to SP I feel like I can ignore it.

I feel the same way but I'm worried it's just a matter of time WB already had the nerve to put in Shadow of War singleplayer so I feel like we are walking on egg shells at this point.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

Welp, time to buy some Take Two stock.

You guys should see how they did after GTA V (GTA Online) came out, with all their microtransactions, DLC, and so forth in that game.

Is RDR 2 going to have multiplayer?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

This is exactly why I've been moving away from gaming in general.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25

@crimsonbrute said:

Nah just don't give the alleged-"AAA" studios your money. There are soooooooooo many great independent games out there (especially on PC), and even a lot of excellent publisher-developer games as well.

It's the ol' Star Wars thing; the more tightly you close your grip, the more star systems will slip through their fingers :P These big companies are tightening their grip, squeezing every penny to pay for their A.) needless and B.) unwanted development budgets (does anyone here really care that Josh Duhamel and Idris Elba were in the past few COD games? And I wonder how much they cost...).

Just don't buy them, send your money to the other side of the market.

The exact same thing is happening in the beer world: the macrobreweries are losing half a percent here, a percent there, to smaller and local breweries and they need every single penny. You might think "Oh but indie games only make up X% of the sales out there, the GDP or whatever of gaming" but these big publishers need every single percent, so even taking fractions away from them makes a huge impact.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
@mrbojangles25 said:

Nah just don't give the alleged-"AAA" studios your money. There are soooooooooo many great independent games out there (especially on PC), and even a lot of excellent publisher-developer games as well.

Sure but I have yet to see something from some indie developer within the last 10-15 years that have caught my eye hence my decreasing interest in gaming.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

If you are sold a complete game and then they offer ways for you to enjoy that game further for a small additional cost, so what? Don't feel it's worth the money, don't buy it. Seems ridiculous to be upset over someone trying to sell you something.

But it's funny, even in free to play games you get people complaining about MTs even when they get the whole game free up front with no limits ever like PoE or MHO. Or in games like GW2 where you can use in- game currency to buy store currency, basically funding your RMTs with fake money, people still bitch. The vast majority of the time it's cosmetic or time saving (for those who have more money than time), but still qq. It's just become a boogey man.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

General consensus seems to be "its bad but lets keep it away from sp"....problem is it has infested several major single player games already and knowing just how ruthlessly capitalistic TT and Rstar have become, I am worried about the sp portion of RDR2...which I was even before this leaked.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25

@crimsonbrute said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Sure but I have yet to see something from some indie developer within the last 10-15 years that have caught my eye hence my decreasing interest in gaming.

what genres do you favor?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25

@Enragedhydra said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@crimsonbrute said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

what genres do you favor?

Crimsonbrute, your saying that among the hundreds of indies games in even the last 5 years that came out not one caught your eye? I think your just not looking.

Depends on the platform, really. And the genre, to an extent. Not many indie shooters or MMOs (some, though!).

With that said, here are some I favor:

Halcyon 6
Factorio
Hyper Light Drifter
Elite: Dangerous (yup, indie!)
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Grim Dawn
Stellaris
Galactic Civilizations
Kerbal Space Program
Bastion
SOMA
Stardew Valley (...if that's your thing :P...)
ABZU
Prison Architect
Pyre

Honestly my main problem is people think that just because something is called "indie" it has to automatically be this artistic hipster game-that's-not-really-a-game, and that is simply not true. Just has to be self-published.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
@Enragedhydra said:

Crimsonbrute, your saying that among the hundreds of indies games in even the last 5 years that came out not one caught your eye? I think your just not looking.

Trust me, ever since single player games have been forced to have multiplayer and lately micro-transactions and loot boxes, I've seen searching high and low for a good single player experience. But sadly, as mrbojangles25 pointed out in his post above this one (assuming he didn't post something as I was typing this) it depends on not only the platform and genre but how much a game it is? For instance:

• How long is the story?
  • What kind of characters are in it (if at all)?
  • How much content does it have? Side missions/quests? Item collecting?
  • How good does it look?
  • How well does it play?

So as I said before, there hasn't been anything at all in the indie scene that caught my attention.

That and what mr b also pointed out at the bottom of his post, that stigma is just one more reason I tend to stick to AAA titles.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

Me too. I feel really awful about this. I just bought a really nice PC earlier this year and while I can rack up lots and lots of hours on the games that don't have gameplay-affecting MTs that I own like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, MGSV, Dishonored 2, etc. I am gonna really miss out on getting the newest gaming has to offer if everything comes with these pay-2-win MTs including SP games.

If it gets to a point where everything (SP and MP) has the pay-2-win MTs or you have to grind really, really long (Diablo style) to get better weapons that you used to be able to get in older games through level progression, then I will officially quit buying the new games and just focus on my old ones. I can go back to Fallout 3 or Oblivion. I can go even further back to F-Zero GX and Jedi Outcast 2. No MTs. More fun.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@crimsonbrute: Oh and I recommend Hollow Knight if you are looking for a very challenging, but rewarding single-player only (no MP at all) Dark Souls-style Metroidvania game. It is also very long for an indie Metroidvania platformer as I am only at 77% completion at 36 hours. The main story took me 30 hours for reference. It is very hard though, but very well done and I haven't been this invested in a game in a long time. For $15 it is very well done.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soul_starter

I gotta wade into the whole indie discussion. I think what crimson is getting at is he wants a great, sp experience with AAA qualities and thats just not possible with indies. The closest may be Senua because of how damn good it looks but its a pretty short game from what I've read.

I dunno what crimson would say on this or any of the others, but personally, the indies dont really touch what AAA developers were doing from around the late 90s to just before the start of this gen. Much like crimson, I'm a bit tired of modern gaming and all its bs.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator

@poe13: @soul_starter:

You two understood exactly what I was trying to say.

I tip my hat to you both.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

This publisher, along with most of the other large publishing groups, seem set on this course of making 'games as a service'. They are trying to make console and PC games function like the old arcade games, except now when you put a coin in the slot, it is the full retail price of the game, and every subsequent coin to keep playing is now translated into micro-transactions and loot boxes. Assuming control over how and when you can play a game has been the end goal of these corporations for some time, so they can lock you into an ongoing monetisation spiral. It has just taken them a little longer than expected, with many blips along the way, but these corporations are playing their own long-term game. Take three steps forward, pushing certain practices and business models, then if there is a backlash from the consumers, they take one or two steps back (never three), and say 'hey, we listened', when in reality they are one or two steps closer to their end goal. This three-step dance has been going on for many years.

It has taken time, and considerable manipulation to get gamers to accept ever more intrusive and egregious business models. We are the frogs slowly boiling in the pan of hot water, hardly noticing that the temperature has continued to rise over the years because it has been such a gradual process. On occasions, the corporations turn the heat up a little too much to the point where we notice and complain, then turn it down again slightly until we settle back into our comfort zones. In the end, however, we will still be boiled and taken for every free cent, penny, (or insert currency here) that they can finagle out of us.

If you truly oppose the direction many of these companies are going, then the only thing they understand is lost sales. It is no good buying a game and complaining afterwards, because they already have your money. Not buying a game at all is the only thing that hits their bottom line, but that takes willpower, especially if it is a franchise you love. They know this, and prey upon that weakness, making their proposition as attractive and 'user friendly' as possible. Apologists will claim it is just something extra and 'you don't have to buy it', but if it affects the fundamental game design, as with the recent Battlefront 2 debacle, then it affects everyone, and those who do not buy into it are going to be the most negatively impacted, especially during online play, when they go up against someone who bought their way to extra power to dominate the now unlevel playing field. Literally paying to win.

The choice is in the hands of gamers, and we each have to choose where to draw our own lines of what is acceptable, and what is not. Unfortunately, I do not have much faith going forward, because so many current gamers have grown up not knowing any different. Some have grown used to micro-transactions in mobile games, or games tied to online accounts, while others simply don't care. The financial success of games employing some dubious business models speaks for itself, and the corporations know they have a captive audience, bolstered by the ongoing analytics of their psychological profiling of game consumers.

Caveat emptor, fellow gamers. The fat sharks are hungry and looking for whales.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 soul_starter

@Gallowhand: Great post!

I personally just can not fathom how anyone can be so hooked on a franchise to not protest with their wallet. I have not bought a number of games this gen because of their microtransaction rubbish, along with refusing to pay for PSN. If more people did that, these companies would be in such dire financial need, they would stop their fraudulent behaviour...sadly that is just not happening.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@soul_starter said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlsQK3KVGvw

Watch it and weep.

Why would anyone weep?

Microtransactions done correct like with GTA Online is no problem at all

Also i love the entitlement of some people today, they want everything free and don't get that it costs more and more to create games like Take-Two is and they are not in it not to make money.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

Not sure I'm going that far, but I'm definitely being a lot more selective with my AAA purchases nowadays... and a big part of my gaming purchases are now Indie games.

icolyze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 icolyze
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@soul_starter said:

Watch it and weep.

Why would anyone weep?

Also i love the entitlement of some people today, they want everything free and don't get that it costs more and more to create games like Take-Two is and they are not in it not to make money.

This is some youtube comment level of ignorance.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@icolyze said:
@Jacanuk said:
@soul_starter said:

Watch it and weep.

Why would anyone weep?

This is some youtube comment level of ignorance.

Of course because everyone has to be against what you say right?

But you continue to cry, Gaming will still continue down this road and i bet it hurts that there is nothing you can do about it.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 soul_starter

@icolyze: exactly