Survival Horror Recommendations - GC, XBOX 360, or N64

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tchurch95
Member since 2013 • 86 Posts
Hey guys! I own three consoles: the Gamecube, the Xbox 360, and the N64. I am more and more intrigued with the Survival Horror genre, and just recently I purchased Resident Evil 4. I have never played a Resident Evil game in entirety before, and so I'm very psyched to play this one. I like being scared, but really I am almost totally unexposed to some of the best titles in the SH genre. I've never played Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, or Haunting Ground, or anything like that. The scariest game I've ever played is Dead Space (1), which I beat only recently. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but honestly it felt more like a Third-Person Shooter Thriller game, as opposed to a survival horror. The game was certainly scary and chilling at times, but I ultimately gained the advantage over the enemies later on, and I think that the shooting controls were too reliable to warrant any feelings of helplessness. I felt like after an hour of playing, I knew what I had to do to kill a necromorph. I want to be scared shitless, and so I'm asking for some good recommendations for these consoles. Anything would be good. I also have a SNES up in the attic, but I don't know if that would necessarily apply to the SH genre, because I've never heard of any major thriller titles on that console; even the N64 is a stretch. I would appreciate recommendations even for other consoles, especially legacy consoles because I've heard that the '90s were the high point of the Survival Horror genre. Thanks! -Tom
MC_Bally_Who

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 MC_Bally_Who
Member since 2008 • 111 Posts
Hi Tom! Gamecube wise definitely go for Eternal Darkness, the Resident Evil remake is pretty damn impressive even by today's standards and Resident Evil: Zero is also pretty solid (strange gameplay mechanics aside). For Xbox 360 I would recommend Alan Wake, not exactly pant-destroyingly scary but very spooky/atmospheric with plenty of suspense. If you want unreliable controls (?) and would like to see a weirder side of the genre check out Deadly Premonition. Easily one of the most original and memorable games of recent times, with as many genuinely hilarious moments as there are terrifying ones. The Condemned games are great on the 360, very visceral and violent but with lots of atmosphere. The Nintendo 64 doesn't have many notable survival horror games. Resident Evil 2 being the obvious one but Nightmare Creatures is also there if you want something along the lines of a Gothic hack 'n' slash title. The best survival horror titles in my opinion live on the PS2. Depending on where you are in the world they can usually be picked up pretty cheap, and the games (a few exceptions aside) can also be picked up for peanuts. Backwards compatibility for PS1 horror games doesn't hurt either! -Fergus
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

REmake on the Gamecube is still a truly great game, filled with atmosphere and great graphics (even by today's standards). 

For the xbobx 360, I'd reccomend Silent Hill Downpour and the HD colleciton. Many people love to b!tch about how awful the port of the HD collection was, but I played both SH2 and 3 for the first time on my 360 and I loved them. True survival horror. But Downpour is also great. It brings the focus back on atmosphere and horror storytelling.

Silent hill Homecoming on the 360 is much more of a hit or miss. I personally enjoyed it, but it has tons of really obvious flaws and the story (while enjoyable) is really derivative of other games in many ways.  At least the soundtrack's great.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#5 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5890 Posts

Play REmake on the Cube, also Resident Evil 0 is a pretty good game. Eternal Darkness is a must on this system.

Resident Evil 2 on the N64.

Condemned, Alan Wake, Silent Hill Downpour, and Silent Hill HD Collection on 360. Doom 3 is also creepy, but there's not much 'survival' about it since you pretty much just shoot everything in the face to win.

tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tchurch95
[QUOTE="MC_Bally_Who"]Hi Tom! Gamecube wise definitely go for Eternal Darkness, the Resident Evil remake is pretty damn impressive even by today's standards and Resident Evil: Zero is also pretty solid (strange gameplay mechanics aside). For Xbox 360 I would recommend Alan Wake, not exactly pant-destroyingly scary but very spooky/atmospheric with plenty of suspense. If you want unreliable controls (?) and would like to see a weirder side of the genre check out Deadly Premonition. Easily one of the most original and memorable games of recent times, with as many genuinely hilarious moments as there are terrifying ones. The Condemned games are great on the 360, very visceral and violent but with lots of atmosphere. The Nintendo 64 doesn't have many notable survival horror games. Resident Evil 2 being the obvious one but Nightmare Creatures is also there if you want something along the lines of a Gothic hack 'n' slash title. The best survival horror titles in my opinion live on the PS2. Depending on where you are in the world they can usually be picked up pretty cheap, and the games (a few exceptions aside) can also be picked up for peanuts. Backwards compatibility for PS1 horror games doesn't hurt either! -Fergus

Thanks so much! Yeah I kick myself all the time for not having a PS2 like everyone else. I miss out on so many fantastic games. Some of the titles I've always wante to try are Okami and Shadow of the Colossus. But in terms of survival horror, I have definitely heard that some great games live on the PS2. Perhaps in the near future I'll look into purchasing one. In terms of the consoles I *do* have I'll see if I can pick up any of those games for relatively cheap. I never knew that Alan Wake was a SH franchise, I didn't really know anything about it, so that's pretty interesting! Thanks so much everyone! Right now, though, I'm gonna get started on RE4, which I've *never* played before.
tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tchurch95

Hi. Its a bit off topic from your question, but just wanted to tell you about my experiences with, imo, the best games in the genre...

I don't know much about the older consoles, except Resident Evil 1 for the PS1. That game creeped me out, i can still remember the sound of the doors opening from one room to the other... and back then i was like 11, playing in a club 500 meters down a pretty dark road from where i was living. You can imagine the stuff i had to go through to get home... Anyway...

My big eye-opener to Survival Horror came with Amnesia: The dark descent... It is to this day, the most horrific experience i have had with SH and i can still feel every step and every ... But it is only for PC... And there is another Amnesia coming out on September 30th...

I'd recommend that to any SH fan.

Dannerfjord
Much appreciated! I knew Amnesia would pop up sooner or later, it's too good of a game not to. Played some on my brother's laptop. It is phenomenal.
The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 The-Longshot
Member since 2006 • 1321 Posts

Ok, so for starters REmake for GC is the greatest survival horror game ever made. Enjoy that experience, and replay it annually cuz its as good as it gets.

2ndly your looking for these types of games on GC and N64? They aren't really out there. Another thing you have to consider is a lot of peoples definition of this genre vary widely, so what one person considers "survival horror" you may not. Having said that,....

For the 360 I highly recommend the Condemned series. The 1st game is a thriller in its purest form, you take the role of a detective and are trying to solve a series of murders. Its amazing, trust me. The 2nd one is good to, but not nearly as dark and atmospheric as the original.

You should also check out

Silent Hill- The HD Collection for 360 because it has Silent Hill 2, best in series IMO.

Silent Hill Homecoming- for 360 amazing game despite its low scores if you truly love survival horror, you will love it, I had to give up at a particular boss (and start over later on, still haven't beat it) due to the difficulty, i.e. not enough bullets, health items and basically just a knife, against an insane demon, the games awesome, and has a few good "pop out" scares too. Again if you really enjoy Survival Horror, you will enjoy this game.

*For the record I was playing ^ on hard mode, which I've found is an excellent way to make a Survival Horror game last.

I havn't checked out Silent Hill Downpour yet, but I hope too soon. That could be a good one.

It sounds like you've already played and enjoyed Dead Space, that would have been my final recommendation. 

Good luck, and I hope they bring out more good scare games soon, Im starting to get very bored, haha.

"A Lannister always pays his debts"

tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tchurch95

Ok, so for starters REmake for GC is the greatest survival horror game ever made. Enjoy that experience, and replay it annually cuz its as good as it gets.

2ndly your looking for these types of games on GC and N64? They aren't really out there. Another thing you have to consider is a lot of peoples definition of this genre vary widely, so what one person considers "survival horror" you may not. Having said that,....

For the 360 I highly recommend the Condemned series. The 1st game is a thriller in its purest form, you take the role of a detective and are trying to solve a series of murders. Its amazing, trust me. The 2nd one is good to, but not nearly as dark and atmospheric as the original.

You should also check out

Silent Hill- The HD Collection for 360 because it has Silent Hill 2, best in series IMO.

Silent Hill Homecoming- for 360 amazing game despite its low scores if you truly love survival horror, you will love it, I had to give up at a particular boss (and start over later on, still haven't beat it) due to the difficulty, i.e. not enough bullets, health items and basically just a knife, against an insane demon, the games awesome, and has a few good "pop out" scares too. Again if you really enjoy Survival Horror, you will enjoy this game.

*For the record I was playing ^ on hard mode, which I've found is an excellent way to make a Survival Horror game last.

I havn't checked out Silent Hill Downpour yet, but I hope too soon. That could be a good one.

It sounds like you've already played and enjoyed Dead Space, that would have been my final recommendation. 

Good luck, and I hope they bring out more good scare games soon, Im starting to get very bored, haha.

"A Lannister always pays his debts"

The-Longshot
Thanks so much! I'll definitely look into these. I've been wanting to play Silent Hill for ages now it seems like. I will definitely look out for any Silent Hill title!