Supreme Court Case

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Remy_Labue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Remy_Labue
Member since 2003 • 327 Posts

So I've been following this story for a while and I'm a little confused as to why this is such a big issue. Maybe I'm missing something that you guys can shed some light on....

So if this law passes, A rated games can't be displayed in stores with M rated ones. As far as I know, that's already being done by most companies.

A 18 sticker 2"x2" must be placed on the cover, as long as its on the cellophane (spelling), I don't care. I'm a hardcore collector and hate it when there's stickers on my packaging.

M rated games can't be sold to anyone under 18. As far as I know, Best Buy, Walmart, and GameStop all check ID's. I work at GameStop and check ID's religously, however if the parents want to buy their childeren a M rated game, we can't stop them.

If a retailer is caught selling an M rated game to a minor, they'll be fined. This is, as far as I can tell, the only new change coming with this law.

Personally, I don't believe young kids should be playing certain games depending on their content, I know if I had kids, i would regulate what they play. But as far as this law is concerned, I don't see why everyone's up in arms about it, other then it's infringing on the 1st amendment. This isn't going to stop us from getting our games or stop developers from making M rated games, so what's the issue? Maybe someone can explain what I seem to be missing...

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
The only people getting up in arms about it are the games industry and children.
Remy_Labue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Remy_Labue

The only people getting up in arms about it are the games industry and children.gameguy6700

I understand that, but why is the industry getting upset? How will this change what they're doing right now?

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]The only people getting up in arms about it are the games industry and children.Remy_Labue

I understand that, but why is the industry getting upset? How will this change what they're doing right now?

Because it cuts into their profits. There are stores that do not have M-rated games policies, and if you make the stickers bigger then some parents who didn't notice it before will now. It's a small impact regardless, but when you consider how much money even a fraction of a percent of the industry's gross income is worth you realize why the industry doesn't want this sort of legislation to pass.
kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

This is what we are trying to get in Australia, as we have no R rating, and 15 year olds can buy any game (leading to a couple games a year being censored)

Remy_Labue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Remy_Labue

This is what we are trying to get in Australia, as we have no R rating, and 15 year olds can buy any game (leading to a couple games a year being censored)

kate_jones

See, this makes me think that this is a good thing. I'd much rather have enforced sales to minors policies than censored games...

meyerchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 meyerchamp
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts
yea, the M label should just be a warning, it beat censorship of the game or not having the game at all.
appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 appleater
Member since 2002 • 1574 Posts

I think it comes down to:

(1) Is there a scientific basis for believing violent video games cause violent behavior?

(2) Are video games art?

Schwarzenegger says the answer to 1 is yes.

Game designers say the answer to 2 is yes, and that Schwarzenegger is wrong about 1.

The Supreme Court's power is plenary so they can do anything, including banning violent video games entirely.

Their grilling of the opposing lawyers might hint at what they will do. They're old, but they'll be completely prepared to argue about video games today.

appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 appleater

Postal 2 is the game California cited as an example of games it wants to ban.

Remy_Labue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Remy_Labue

appleater

Wait, I haven't heard anything about California wanting to ban any video games. Can you provide a source for this?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

So I've been following this story for a while and I'm a little confused as to why this is such a big issue. Maybe I'm missing something that you guys can shed some light on....

So if this law passes, A rated games can't be displayed in stores with M rated ones. As far as I know, that's already being done by most companies.

A 18 sticker 2"x2" must be placed on the cover, as long as its on the cellophane (spelling), I don't care. I'm a hardcore collector and hate it when there's stickers on my packaging.

M rated games can't be sold to anyone under 18. As far as I know, Best Buy, Walmart, and GameStop all check ID's. I work at GameStop and check ID's religously, however if the parents want to buy their childeren a M rated game, we can't stop them.

If a retailer is caught selling an M rated game to a minor, they'll be fined. This is, as far as I can tell, the only new change coming with this law.

Personally, I don't believe young kids should be playing certain games depending on their content, I know if I had kids, i would regulate what they play. But as far as this law is concerned, I don't see why everyone's up in arms about it, other then it's infringing on the 1st amendment. This isn't going to stop us from getting our games or stop developers from making M rated games, so what's the issue? Maybe someone can explain what I seem to be missing...

Remy_Labue
There are a couple problems with the law. 1) The law singles out the game industry (I see no reason why there should be one set of rules for games and a different set for everyone else). 2) The law makes makes no reference to ratings (its content based regulations). Quite a few T rated games and even some E rated games could fall afoul of the law. In summary, the law, like its predecessors, is an attempt to destroy the first amendment protection of videogames. If that protection is stripped away, expect even nuttier, more restrictive laws to follow.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

The truth is that there are no laws for video games. There is nothing preventing a store from listing and selling Adult Only games even to a minor. They wont even get fined for doing so.

ESRB (which controls the little ratings on the box) is a business organization that is voluntary. A game developer chooses to have their ratings listed and stores, like Gamestop, voluntarily choose to be fined if they break the ratings by selling it to someone under age. The reaon you dont see any Adult games being sold is because Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony will not agree to provide a license to Adult Only games that work on their systems. They do this to keep their completely false "Family Friendly" image. The only AO games that exist will be for the PC (as no license of any kind is required) or hacked games on consoles.

As it stands the government has no control over video games. Stores and companies follow and agree to the ESRB's ridiculous rules, fines, and sanctions in order to avoid government regulation. If the games industry can prove that its properfly self regulated, then government intervetion isn't necessary. Companies are despereately trying to avoid government regulation because government oversight tends to be stricter, more expensive, with far more red tape.... but the truth is that they also hate the ESRB. It just the lesser of two evils with the other evil being much, much greater in comparison.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Remy_Labue

According to the ESRB the age is 17

appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 appleater

[QUOTE="appleater"]

Remy_Labue

Wait, I haven't heard anything about California wanting to ban any video games. Can you provide a source for this?

That's because you're not a minor!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/03/us/03scotus.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

California cited a GameSpot forum message in its brief--now, that was disturbing.

The Attorney General repeatedly said which games are covered is up to juries because game companies and sellers would be hauled into court.

appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 appleater

[QUOTE="appleater"]

Remy_Labue

That's because you're not a minor!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/03/us/03scotus.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

California cited a GameSpot forum message in its brief--now, that was disturbing.

The Attorney General repeatedly said which games are covered is up to juries because game companies and sellers would be hauled into court.

appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 appleater

Here's the GameSpot forum message cited in California's brief and argued about today by the US Supreme Court:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26467378

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]The only people getting up in arms about it are the games industry and children.Remy_Labue

I read the transcript of the hearing, and what several of the Justices were concerned with was that it's extremely vague. The law as it's written now makes multiple references to "ultra-violent games" but it doesn't define what that means. Justice Scalia actually came right out and said that since they don't specify that, a game developer will have no idea what to do to avoid getting that label. As it is right now, the ESRB is fairly clear on what it takes to earn their Adults Only rating, which means game developers know what to avoid. They know what they should not put in the game if they want to keep the T rating from going to M. With this new California law, they won't know until the finished product is reviewed and then it's too late. And then there is of course the matter that this would brand the video game industry as considerably worse than any other entertainment medium. To reference Scalia again, if we're so concerned about protecting the children, what do we go after next? Books? Movies that show people smoking and drinking? The violence in the Grimm's fairy tales? The Supreme Court and those who are against this law are concerned that it will frighten game developers into toning down games in order to obey, and that this will only be the first step in a downwards spiral. If movies were treated this same way, then a lot of very good movies would not have been made because the possibility of not being able to show the finished product in theaters and having it feature prominently at BlockBuster and Netflix would not be worth the risk. There might be no Godfather, no Schindler's List, no American History X, and no Clockwork Orange. Being forced to suffer the existence of Twilight and Saw Five(-hundred) is worth it, if movies like the ones I mentioned earlier can be made as well. The same applies to games. Ban Manhunt or Postal 2, and developers will shy away from making Max Payne, Alan Wake, or The Witcher, as well. I'd rather not see that happen.
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

[QUOTE="Remy_Labue"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]The only people getting up in arms about it are the games industry and children.ChiliDragon

I read the transcript of the hearing, and what several of the Justices were concerned with was that it's extremely vague. The law as it's written now makes multiple references to "ultra-violent games" but it doesn't define what that means. Justice Scalia actually came right out and said that since they dont' specify that, a game developer will have no idea what to do to avoid getting that label. As it is right now, the ESRB is fairly clear on what it takes to earn their Adults Only rating, which means game developers know what to avoid. They know what they should not put in the game if they want to keep the T rating from going to M. With this new California law, they won't know until the finished product is reviewed and then it's too late.

Exactly, the law is so vauge many T rated games such as Street Fighter IV, Tekken 6, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Final Fantasy XIII could technically fall under this laws restrictions. It's THAT vauge. Yet with the way the law is worded, an M rated game like Dead Space may not.

It's for convoluted reasons like this the law will most likely not pass. Also because precidents for things like this with other media have already been set. Movies, music, and telivision are protected under the 1st amendment against laws like this. Most don't see how video games are any different.

This doesn't even factor in the landslide effect passing a law like this could create. If a law like this passes, it opens the floodgates for even more laws like it, not just in video games. But politicians could cite this as an excuse to try and challenge 1st amendment protection for other media once again.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChiliDragon

Exactly, the law is so vauge many T rated games such as Street Fighter IV, Tekken 6, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Final Fantasy XIII could technically fall under this laws restrictions. It's THAT vauge. Yet with the way the law is worded, an M rated game like Dead Space may not.

keech
I noticed that as well. The lawyer arguing for the state of California even specified when asked, that they are only considering extreme violence towards "humanoid creatures", and as soon as I read that, Dead Space immediately came to mind. It would be in the clear under this law, and so would a game like Amnesia, a survival horror game that I'm starting to think should come with a mandatory psych evaluation so you can check if you're emotionally stable enough to play it. As for the rest of your post, that was what a lot of the Supreme Court Justices kept coming back to... they want the petitioner to tell them, in detail and with good arguments, what it is that makes video games different from music, movies, and TV. It's a new medium, yes, but so was TV once, and yet no one outlawed the Bugs Bunny cartoons for extreme violence. I think they are very aware of the precedent their ruling in this case will set, and that's a good thing. Whatever they end up deciding on will greatly affect the future of gaming in the US, and since the US is the greatest gaming market and where a lot of developers are based... yes, it's a very good thing the Supreme Court is taking this seriously. I just hope they make the right decision.
appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 appleater

[QUOTE="Remy_Labue"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]The only people getting up in arms about it are the games industry and children.ChiliDragon

I read the transcript of the hearing, and what several of the Justices were concerned with was that it's extremely vague. The law as it's written now makes multiple references to "ultra-violent games" but it doesn't define what that means. Justice Scalia actually came right out and said that since they don't specify that, a game developer will have no idea what to do to avoid getting that label. As it is right now, the ESRB is fairly clear on what it takes to earn their Adults Only rating, which means game developers know what to avoid. They know what they should not put in the game if they want to keep the T rating from going to M. With this new California law, they won't know until the finished product is reviewed and then it's too late. And then there is of course the matter that this would brand the video game industry as considerably worse than any other entertainment medium. To reference Scalia again, if we're so concerned about protecting the children, what do we go after next? Books? Movies that show people smoking and drinking? The violence in the Grimm's fairy tales? The Supreme Court and those who are against this law are concerned that it will frighten game developers into toning down games in order to obey, and that this will only be the first step in a downwards spiral. If movies were treated this same way, then a lot of very good movies would not have been made because the possibility of not being able to show the finished product in theaters and having it feature prominently at BlockBuster and Netflix would not be worth the risk. There might be no Godfather, no Schindler's List, no American History X, and no Clockwork Orange. Being forced to suffer the existence of Twilight and Saw Five(-hundred) is worth it, if movies like the ones I mentioned earlier can be made as well. The same applies to games. Ban Manhunt or Postal 2, and developers will shy away from making Max Payne, Alan Wake, or The Witcher, as well. I'd rather not see that happen.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/08-1448.pdf

Official transcript.

Thanks for the heads-up.

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 keech

[QUOTE="keech"]

ChiliDragon

I noticed that as well. The lawyer arguing for the state of California even specified when asked, that they are only considering extreme violence towards "humanoid creatures", and as soon as I read that, Dead Space immediately came to mind. It would be in the clear under this law, and so would a game like Amnesia, a survival horror game that I'm starting to think should come with a mandatory psych evaluation so you can check if you're emotionally stable enough to play it. As for the rest of your post, that was what a lot of the Supreme Court Justices kept coming back to... they want the petitioner to tell them, in detail and with good arguments, what it is that makes video games different from music, movies, and TV. It's a new medium, yes, but so was TV once, and yet no one outlawed the Bugs Bunny cartoons for extreme violence. I think they are very aware of the precedent their ruling in this case will set, and that's a good thing. Whatever they end up deciding on will greatly affect the future of gaming in the US, and since the US is the greatest gaming market and where a lot of developers are based... yes, it's a very good thing the Supreme Court is taking this seriously. I just hope they make the right decision.

Could not agree more on the Anmesia comment. I've been attempting to beat the game, but can only manage to play it for 30 minutes at a time before my nerves get frayed. This is coming from someone who has played every survival horror game under the sun. The last horror game that got to me like Amnesia was Silent Hill 2.

I just find it funny that they are basically saying minors shouldn't be playing games where they can violently kill/harm other human or like-human characters. But minors playing games that put a real mental and emotional strain on yourself is perfectly resonable.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ChiliDragon

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/08-1448.pdf

Official transcript.

Thanks for the heads-up.

appleater
I found a link to the transcript in Gamespot's news story covering the hearing, but forgot to put it in my post. Thanks for fixing that over-sight. :)

I just find it funny that they are basically saying minors shouldn't be playing games where they can violently kill/harm other human or like-human characters. But minors playing games that put a real mental and emotional strain on yourself is perfectly resonable.

keech
Yet another reason why game ratings should be monitored and created by people who know them... like, say, a board of industry representatives? That's a great idea, actually. We could make it optional for developers to submit the games, becuase we can safely assume that without a rating no store will agree to sell the game, and then we'll take a group of different people, let them all play through the game while following a checklist of guidelines in rating the content they come across, and then we rate the game based on their consensus. That would work! Oh wait, we're already doing that. Never mind. :P
appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 appleater

Most fascinating thing I've read in a while--thank you for mentioning the transcript. I looked for GameSpot's coverage but couldn't find it. I'll look again.

I was wrong that California's argument was violent video games cause violent behavior.

Justice Thomas was the only one who didn't speak. I think he has said something only twice his whole career.

He should have jumped in.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChiliDragon

Most fascinating thing I've read in a while--thank you for mentioning the transcript. I looked for GameSpot's coverage but couldn't find it. I'll look again.

I was wrong that California's argument was violent video games cause violent behavior.

Justice Thomas was the only one who didn't speak. I think he has said something only twice his whole career.

He should have jumped in.

appleater
Gamespot news story I think California's argument is that since minors still get access to these games, the current system isn't working and needs to be stricter, but I could be wrong.
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 keech

Just finished reading the transcript. It seems gamers are more informed about this law than the person trying to defend it to the court. At the very end when one of them asked if you replaced a Human with a Vulcan would this still apply he says no. Then proceeds to say the law only covers violent actions on humans. Apparently a human looking person with pointy ears does not count as "exceedingly human characteristics".

appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 appleater

That was funny. Justice Sotomayor should have asked him about Spock, half-human, half-Vulcan.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

Remy_Labue

I have not read past your post, so if it's been discussed to death then skip reading below. I read the transcript of today's oral arguments so hopefully I can shed some light on what's going on.

1. It isn't just "A" rated games, it is any game that can be deemed excessively violent. Whether it is rated "M" or "T" or "E".

2. The sticker was not a part of the arguments today.

3. Parents could still buy minors whatever games they wanted.

4. A large chunk of the arguments was dedicated as to how do you determine whether a game is OK for an 18 year old, 17 year old, or 16 year old, and that California's law does not distinguish a 5 year old from a 17 year old. This brings up an issue with the publisher and developers when creating a game for a more mature market, will their content be placed on shelves if it there is no concrete rules deciding on what is for 18 year olds and what is for 17 year olds.

A lot of time was spent on arguing defining the difference of excessive violent and morbid violence, the loose standards used by California's law, and why the industry is against protecting children from overly violent games.

I'm no law expert, but I think the SCOTUS will rule that the law is too vague, thus giving California or other states the ability to create a more specific law clearly defining different levels of violence. This is part of the EMA's argument, that variations of violence can not be defined using the English language as shown by the FCC's recent attempt at doing so.

I don't think they will say all games are protected by free speech, but only some of them.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
[QUOTE="Remy_Labue"] But as far as this law is concerned, I don't see why everyone's up in arms about it, other then it's infringing on the 1st amendment. /QUOTE] Right. so nothing besides the alleged Bill of Rights violation. :P
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 keech

[QUOTE="Remy_Labue"] But as far as this law is concerned, I don't see why everyone's up in arms about it, other then it's infringing on the 1st amendment. /QUOTE] Right. so nothing besides the alleged Bill of Rights violation. :PElraptor

Yes, JUST a 1st amendment violation. The amendment that all other amendments are based off of, and when violated make all other amendments moot and invalid.

I find it interesting (and sad) that people are so quick to say "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Yet really don't understand what it means. That statement is listed in that order for a reason. The reason is priority. "Life" is the number one priority, if a law would directly protect the lives of the people that trumps all else.

Next is liberty. Providing it doesn't put anyones life in danger. The right to freedom of choice, and speech, the idea of justice, and doing whats is right to uphold these ideals. These are more important than someones personal happiness.

Lastly, happiness. Being able to chase your own dream, and make it a reality. To live your life the way you choose to live it. As long as it doesn't infringe on anyone elses liberty or put anyones life in danger.

In short: Protecting someones right to make and sell violent video games, providing it does not directly cause people to die, is more important than your personal opinion of said games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Isn't it a simple law to stop minors for buying excessively violent games? While I read that the law is way too vague and imprecise, the principle sounds more than reasonable to me.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="IronBass"]Isn't it a simple law to stop minors for buying excessively violent games? While I read that the law is way too vague and imprecise, the principle sounds more than reasonable to me.

That's the general idea. Their problem is that they are only concerned with violence towards humans; Tekken would be banned, but not Dead Space, for example. They are also completely ignoring the current rating system, and they don't take into account that there's a big difference between a 5-year old minor and a 17-year old minor.
dparnass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 dparnass
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

The Swartzenager is a Hipocrot. Look at the movies and games he has been involved in. The terminator video game in the Arcade was not villent. And it did have him in it.

appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 appleater

Yeah, he is. He won't say a word against steroids, even though football players and others were dying; some of the Pittsburgh Steelers who used to be my team died. He used steroids when he won some or all of those Mr. Olympia's, I think about the one in Germany where he was unbelievable, maybe because he had to top Sergio Oliva, and today's bodybuilders use them and he knows it.

It was sort of predictable California would be the state the Supreme Court wanted to hear: a lot of the video game makers are there, I think, Silicon Valley, etc.

Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

My coworker's 4 year old plays GTA on the PSP. For that matter, I was 10 when I first saw Robocop. This political grandstanding is a waste of everyone's time.