Super Mario Brothers 3 problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 fadeetoblackk
Member since 2011 • 459 Posts

I have a retron 3 and it plays games like battletoads(lol) and double dribble perfectly. So I am having a great time and I pop in what I bought it for, SMB3. It shows the intro screen but the controller does not react, it just sits there taunting me. There is also no sound but I feel like there was never sound at the begging I can not remeber. Does anyone know why this could be happening. Also SMB1 just sits on a grey screen but that is because the stupid game store i go to sells crappy games =/. And these games are compatible with the retron it is not like I did not do some research. Thanks fellow legacy gamers.

CUDCUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CUDCUD
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

Have you cleaned the cartridges? if you don't know how you can use some q-tips soaked in some window cleaner or some similar similar solution the rub it along the cartridges contacts then let it sit to dry (don't put it in the console covered in the cleaning solution). Hope that helps.

fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 fadeetoblackk
Member since 2011 • 459 Posts
i cleaned it and it ended up working, I actually just recently learned that you could straight up scrub it with window cleaner. I wish I always knew thats what you could do opposed to blowing on it until its broken ahah. I am going to have many super mario sesions ahead of me now haha =D thanks for the response
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

yeah i was about to say, there are hardly ANY games that are NOT compatible with the retro consoles. usually it has to be SNES or Genesis games that have a chip in them that makes the game better (Doom on snes, Virtua Racing for genesis, etc)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
i cleaned it and it ended up working, I actually just recently learned that you could straight up scrub it with window cleaner. I wish I always knew thats what you could do opposed to blowing on it until its broken ahah. I am going to have many super mario sesions ahead of me now haha =D thanks for the responsefadeetoblackk
I don't even use window cleaner for cartridges. I just take a cotton bud, soak it a bit in water and use that, works perfectly every time, just let it dry for 5 minutes and its all good.
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#6 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
Take a Q-Tip, some rubbing alcohol and dab one end of the Q-Tip inside the alcohol, and gently clean the cartridge. Then use the dry end and get the excess alcohol off. It works 99% of the time for me, no matter the game.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

[QUOTE="fadeetoblackk"]i cleaned it and it ended up working, I actually just recently learned that you could straight up scrub it with window cleaner. I wish I always knew thats what you could do opposed to blowing on it until its broken ahah. I am going to have many super mario sesions ahead of me now haha =D thanks for the responseDarkman2007
I don't even use window cleaner for cartridges. I just take a cotton bud, soak it a bit in water and use that, works perfectly every time, just let it dry for 5 minutes and its all good.

It's probably better to use alcohol though, not because it's a better solvent but just because it dries so quickly and you don't really have to worry about it being dry.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="fadeetoblackk"]i cleaned it and it ended up working, I actually just recently learned that you could straight up scrub it with window cleaner. I wish I always knew thats what you could do opposed to blowing on it until its broken ahah. I am going to have many super mario sesions ahead of me now haha =D thanks for the responsemagnax1

It's probably better to use alcohol though, not because it's a better solvent but just because it dries so quickly and you don't really have to worry about it being dry.

alcohol would be ok , just make sure to dillute it a bit with water as undiluted alcohol will have more chance of leaving residue, which will do more harm then good