SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

The Super Mario Bros theme will be the first piece of video game music to be preserved in the Library of Congress.

Since 2002, the Library has been maintaining the United States National Recording Registry, a list of sound recordings that are “culturally, historically or aesthetically significant, and/or inform or reflect life in the United States”.

Every year, 25 pieces of music are selected to be added to the National Recording Registry, which means they will be preserved in the Library of Congress.

This year, Koji Kondo‘s main theme for Super Mario Bros is one of the 25 chosen, marking the first time a piece of video game music has been added to the Registry.

Other sound recordings chosen for inclusion this year include ‘Imagine’ by John Lennon, ‘Stairway to Heaven’ by Led Zeppelin, ‘Take Me Home, Country Roads’ by John Denver, ‘Like a Virgin’ by Madonna, ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ by Mariah Carey and ‘Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)’ by Eurythmics.

While the national library already has a vast sound collection of nearly four million items, the recordings selected for the Registry – of which there are now a total of 625 – are considered so important that they must be permanently preserved.

The accessibility issues surrounding Nintendo soundtracks is inadvertently fueling music piracy, rather than preventing it

“These recording are not necessarily selected as the ‘best’ recordings of all time, but rather as works of enduring importance to American culture and, hence, in need of permanent preservation by either the Library of Congress or another qualified institution,” the Library of Congress explains.

Partly inspired by ‘Sister Marian’ by Japanese jazz fusion band T-Square, the Super Mario Bros theme is one of the most iconic pieces of video game music ever created.

Wow, it looks like video game music has come a long way. Would you say it’s as respected as regular music now, GD? I think in some cases, it can be even better 😄

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

About as iconic a game track as you can get. For a time, at least here in the US, just about anybody would recognize it, gamer or not.

Bro am I going crazy or did you post this on SW first?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

What a great moment it is for video games everywhere and therefore, the entire world. 👏

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic  Online

@ConanTheStoner said:

About as iconic a game track as you can get. For a time, at least here in the US, just about anybody would recognize it, gamer or not.

Haha. I thought the GD crowd would appreciate this more. SW can be unpredictable. Sometimes I think people will like the topic and then they start shit-posting.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11669 Posts

I'll just post that theme, because it's so iconic. Found the whole classic playlist enjoy_

Loading Video...

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

start shit-posting.

irrelevant baby game just jump grab star save princess stupid story nostalgia sonic is better anyway nintendo paid reviews congress same game for 30 years no mocap where 4k ray trace switch 2 mario gritty guns

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic  Online

@ConanTheStoner: 😄

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Haha. I thought the GD crowd would appreciate this more. SW can be unpredictable. Sometimes I think people will like the topic and then they start shit-posting.

Especially if they're certain trolls on that forum. Like one Sony troll with a hate boner for Nintendo with fixations on certain users (won't name who on both fronts).

There was a reason I don't like to talk certain subjects there.

Anyway, subject on hand, this needs to happen more. And should get us closer to game preservation on a government level.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic  Online

@nintendoboy16 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Especially if they're certain trolls on that forum. Like one Sony troll with a hate boner for Nintendo with fixations on certain users (won't name who on both fronts).

There was a reason I don't like to talk certain subjects there.

Anyway, subject on hand, this needs to happen more. And should get us closer to game preservation on a government level.

Yea I agree, while I do like to tease certain forum users, some people are just blatantly disruptive posting.