Street Fighter, who cares?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tbs76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 tbs76
Member since 2004 • 479 Posts

I can't help but notice based on current sales of the Street Fighter IV and from surveys that the once dominating franchise has seen its day in the sun. I used to love Street Fighter. Back in the '90s it was one of the coolest games going and a big reason I loved arcades and it was pretty sweet on consoles too. The videogame dynamic has definitely changed since then. In those days fighting games and space shooters were pretty common but now that focus seems to be more on FPS and RPG games.

Don't get me wrong, I think Street Fighter will always have fans and sales will stay pretty decent but overall, does anyone care about this franchise the way they used to. I personally do not. I just find fighting games stale compared to other games and I have no interest in playing them online. Nothing worse than playing SF and gettng your behind handed to you cause most of your opponents play the game religiously and can pull off the moves as easy as picking your nose, while I stuggle to even get one "Hadoken" off properly.

I am pretty sure that SFIV and SSFIV sales have been decent but still haven't matched the sales output Capcom had hoped for. This is one fan that pretty much gave up on the franchise shortly after Super Street Fighter II and will not buy another SF game.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20972 Posts
Uh, Street Fighter IV was a multi-million seller (for a game no one expected to sell more than a few hundred thousand units) and caused Evo attendance to more than double since its release. Street Fighter IV at Evo 2009 drew a crowd of over 1000 players and Super Street Fighter IV this year even topped that, with individual qualifying pools ending up larger than most major tournaments. Players from 37 countries came to play Street Fighter IV. The scene is as healthy, if not healthier, than it was back in the early 90s. Street Fighter IV also generated such a resurgence in the community that it created a very large market for top-quality arcade sticks at the retail level (previously, one had to order from a specialty manufacturer, import from Japan, or have one custom-made by other members of the community). Waves of players are so interested in improving that they're shelling out $150 for Sanwa sticks on a mass-market level.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

We care.

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I love SF from the old to the new. I don't buy many fighting games but SF will be something I will always go to.

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

It's fun to rip a new ******* for the people who don't play as well as you by being able to perform combos as easily as picking your nose. And when someone of similar skill comes along, it will be an awesome fight.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#7 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I still love Street Fighter.

4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
Well OP, it seems like you're the odd man out on this debate.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

DC pretty much said everything I wanted to say, since all of that is pretty much true.

Street Fighter II revolutionized the fighting genre and will continue to be the one 2D series that every other fighter will try to top. Some have failed, others have done well for itself, but could never ignite the spark that lit a fire under the fighting genre's a**, to say the least. Street Fighter IV and Super did that, however, and both are excellent games in their own right.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

I care!

I can't really add anything since DC already stated everything that needed to be said. It got a lot of old fighting player back into the scene. Like me, mainly. Then more fighting games came out and now we are facing a full blown revival of the genre.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Do I care like I used to? No. I care even more.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkCatalyst

I care!

I can't really add anything since DC already stated everything that needed to be said. It got a lot of old fighting player back into the scene. Like me, mainly. Then more fighting games came out and now we are facing a full blown revival of the genre.

Ravirr
I would've loved to have dragged out some harder numbers, and tried to before I posted, but don't generally care enough about them to have any sources. What I did find was... -SFIV sold over two million copies in its first week, crossed the three million mark not long after that, and enjoyed a very good remainder of 2009, while Super seems to have done nothing to break the momentum. -I believe the SFIV entry count at Evo 2009 was 1,042 but don't quote me too strongly on that. If that is not the exact number then I'm within 20 players of it. Prior to that point, Marvel vs Capcom 2 had been the largest draw, topping off well below 600 players. -37 represented countries at Evo 2010 is iron clad. For those with sources, here's what I'd like to see. -All-time worldwide sales figures for Street Fighter IV -All-time worldwide sales figures for Super Street Fighter IV -North American sales figures for the MadCatz line of FightSticks (even if just TEs)
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44403 Posts
Oh yeah I most definitely care and from what DC has already posted it would seem that a lot of other people care as well. I've been enjoying fighting games ever since the release of Street Fighter II in the arcades and seeing this resurgence in the genre is really a fantastic thing to experience.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Metamania

[QUOTE="Ravirr"]

I care!

DarkCatalyst

I would've loved to have dragged out some harder numbers, and tried to before I posted, but don't generally care enough about them to have any sources. What I did find was... -SFIV sold over two million copies in its first week, crossed the three million mark not long after that, and enjoyed a very good remainder of 2009, while Super seems to have done nothing to break the momentum. -I believe the SFIV entry count at Evo 2009 was 1,042 but don't quote me too strongly on that. If that is not the exact number then I'm within 20 players of it. Prior to that point, Marvel vs Capcom 2 had been the largest draw, topping off well below 600 players. -37 represented countries at Evo 2010 is iron clad. For those with sources, here's what I'd like to see. -All-time worldwide sales figures for Street Fighter IV -All-time worldwide sales figures for Super Street Fighter IV -North American sales figures for the MadCatz line of FightSticks (even if just TEs)

DC, according to this link, SSFIV has gone on to sell 1.35 million units worldwide.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

What's a street fighter?

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

What's a street fighter?

Phantom_Leo

I think its similiar to a fighting street

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 ZimpanX
Member since 2005 • 12636 Posts

We care.

rragnaar

That was fast. :P

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Though it's not as fun as SSF2 was back then, SF4 was still good fun, despite the cheap unblockable moves (Abel, Blanka...)
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I just find fighting games stale compared to other games and I have no interest in playing them online. Nothing worse than playing SF and gettng your behind handed to you cause most of your opponents play the game religiously and can pull off the moves as easy as picking your nose, while I stuggle to even get one "Hadoken" off properly. tbs76

There's the reason for your hate right there. First of all, fighting games especially SF is ALL about competition. So if you don't want to play online or with friends then there's no point in being a fan of fighting games.

And of course if you keep getting killed online it's a natural tendency to hate it. But it's those who persevered through the beatings and losses that find the most reward out of the game. Heck, I get my butt handed to me online all the time but I still hang in there and love the series!

Some can take it, some can't. And some have it, and some don't.

pankaj_31085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pankaj_31085
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

I love the Street Fighter and will love it forever. It was the first fighting game that i have played in my childhood. I played with Ken for the first time.

I just love the street fighter.... 8)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's all a matter of taste. I'm not very fond of fighting games either. But for those who love the genre, more power.

I mean I love flight sims. But I'm sure many would find that genre boring.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Metamania

It's all a matter of taste. I'm not very fond of fighting games either. But for those who love the genre, more power.

I mean I love flight sims. But I'm sure many would find that genre boring.

jun_aka_pekto

Exactly.

For example, I do not like sports game. I feel that the are stale and is pretty much the same game, just with improved graphics and improved rosters. But I care less about them. Meanwhile, millions of others love those games and enjoy them, so more power to them.

For me, I love fighting games because they are always challenging and I have friends on here and elsewhere that love the challenge and enjoy competing against each other. On the other hand, like you said, you arne't fond of them, which is fine. More power to you. :)

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

I love fighters, though I'm a Tekken man myself. I owned SF2 way back, but was pretty young never really got into it. Since the original Tekken I've always picked up the next installment, & after all the hype & loving the art style, decided to pick up SSF4 (& Blazblue) a few days ago & both are awesome. I even talked with the store manager for awhile about Street Fighter for awhile. He had bought an arcade stick & everything. I went home, ordered a FightPad & plan on trying to scrape up enough cash to get a quality fight stick as well.

In short, I care. So does the manager at GAME.

Edit: I forgot Soul Calibur & Mortal Kombat. Both are popular.

KidComputer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KidComputer
Member since 2010 • 67 Posts
I don't see the appeal of SF myself. Who knows.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I can't help but notice based on current sales of the Street Fighter IV and from surveys that the once dominating franchise has seen its day in the sun. I used to love Street Fighter. Back in the '90s it was one of the coolest games going and a big reason I loved arcades and it was pretty sweet on consoles too. The videogame dynamic has definitely changed since then. In those days fighting games and space shooters were pretty common but now that focus seems to be more on FPS and RPG games.

Don't get me wrong, I think Street Fighter will always have fans and sales will stay pretty decent but overall, does anyone care about this franchise the way they used to. I personally do not. I just find fighting games stale compared to other games and I have no interest in playing them online. Nothing worse than playing SF and gettng your behind handed to you cause most of your opponents play the game religiously and can pull off the moves as easy as picking your nose, while I stuggle to even get one "Hadoken" off properly.

I am pretty sure that SFIV and SSFIV sales have been decent but still haven't matched the sales output Capcom had hoped for. This is one fan that pretty much gave up on the franchise shortly after Super Street Fighter II and will not buy another SF game.

tbs76

Do some research before you flood this forum with your ignorance.

SFIV exceeded Capcom's expectations to such an extent that they are now focusing heavily on fighters again, including Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Tekken v. SF, and an online version of SFIII. SF is among the most recognizable brands in gaming and the franchise will always be seen as the benchmark for fighters as well as the template the entire genre is predicated upon.

Your own proclivities are irrelevant and your position reeks of the pedantic, myopic postulations of yet another person who thinks their opinion alone, backed up by nothing substantial, should be seen as some sort of truth. You've offered no logic for you assertions, provided no sales data to buoy your already flaccid argument that sales were weak, and you certainly haven't demonstrated any viable logic that would support your claim that fighters enjoy a greater degree of stagnancy.

I keep trying to explain this very important lesson to internet dwellers such as you who think opinion alone shields you from rebuttal: even an opinion must be backed up with some sort of logic, evidence, etc.

If you claim SFIV didn't perform as well as Capcom anticipated, where are your numbers and sales data? Where is thequote from Capcom stating their disappointment?

If the fighting genre is more "stale" than other genres, where are your examples of the sweeping innovations seen in these supposedly superior games?

You are entitled to an informed opinion but your assessment of SF isn't informed nor is it particularly astute or articulate. I invite you to finish what you started and delineate your arguments in a more thoughtful and deliberate way. You've made a pretty bold claim and the onus is now upon you to defend this position or admit your assertions were nothing more than sensationalist bravado.

Your move.

gamer_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 gamer_96
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

Street Fighter is great.

The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 The-Longshot
Member since 2006 • 1321 Posts

We care.

rragnaar

LOL exactly.

zeorshadow19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 zeorshadow19
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

We care.

rragnaar

That was great!

Jaco230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jaco230
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Street Fighter will always be cool. Capcom just needs to learn how to stop selling updated versions on a seperate disk and complete the game beforehand.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DarkCatalyst

Ok..punks..meet me in the real street and I will show ya a fight. No hadokens then. Just a broken nose and a battered ego! Give me more Dead or Alive and less Street Fighters...please!

tbs76
If you don't like it, don't play it. Also, the assumption that fighting gamers in general, or even Street Fighter players in particular, know nothing about actual fighting is an extremely dangerous one. Finally, the basic tone of your post makes it evident that you're just trolling. [QUOTE="Jaco230"]Street Fighter will always be cool. Capcom just needs to learn how to stop selling updated versions on a seperate disk and complete the game beforehand.

There will always be updates on a disc because first-edition fighting games can always be made better (and in fact usually suck once the community gets hold of them, SFIV was actually abnormally good), and the logistics involved with tournament play demand the convenience of a disc. It's no secret now that Capcom and the tournament community are strongly connected, to the point where the tournament players are really the ones pulling all the strings in where Street Fighter, and truly the fighting genre as a whole, goes.
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

Ok..punks..meet me in the real street and I will show ya a fight. No hadokens then. Just a broken nose and a battered ego! Give me more Dead or Alive and less Street Fighters...please!

tbs76

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! ! ! :lol:

I hope you intended that to be a joke, because that was hilarious!

Thanks! Perfect start to my day!

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

tbs76

Fighing genre takes time to learn. If you cant do that then its not for you.

tbs76

Oh you're just trolling.

Gtfo.

ThePRGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThePRGod
Member since 2010 • 130 Posts

1. You hate Street Fighter because you can't even hadoken and think everyone who beats you plays the game religiously.

2. You want more DoA games..

I've come to a few conclusions.

1. You suck and like the worst 3D fighter that requires almost no thought process at all

2. You're trolling.

I'm going with option 2.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

Actually some of us don't like breaking the game down into frames just to get an advantage. It sort of kills the "game" aspect and breaks things down into numebers.

Some of us don't want to go to forums just to memorize wall charts of every character's frame data. I like playing games and not studying them.

*SPOILER ALERT!!!!* Now some people are not going to like the game.

Take a minute to breathe.

Now if you like the game then that's fine but don't attack the op because they are not as hardcore as you may be at the game. The title may have angered(?) some but I'm sure he's not saying the street fighter sucks. Street fighter doesn't suck.

It feels like everyone from that huge street fighter thread came over here to just wail on the op.

I played a lot of virtual fighter 5, MVC2, Street Fighter vs SNK and SC4 so I'm not some complaining scrub. I personally just got tired of them.

Now the crap about sales and fighting in the street :roll: is definetly trolling so throw stuff at him for that but not because he doesn't like the game anymore.

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

Actually some of us don't like breaking the game down into frames just to get an advantage. It sort of kills the "game" aspect and breaks things down into numebers.

Some of us don't want to go to forums just to memorize wall charts of every character's frame data. I like playing games and not studying them.

*SPOILER ALERT!!!!* Now some people are not going to like the game.

Take a minute to breathe.

Now if you like the game then that's fine but don't attack the op because they are not as hardcore as you may be at the game. The title may have angered(?) some but I'm sure he's not saying the street fighter sucks. Street fighter doesn't suck.

It feels like everyone from that huge street fighter thread came over here to just wail on the op.

I played a lot of virtual fighter 5, MVC2, Street Fighter vs SNK and SC4 so I'm not some complaining scrub. I personally just got tired of them.

Now the crap about sales and fighting in the street :roll: is definetly trolling so throw stuff at him for that but not because he doesn't like the game anymore.

anthonycg

You dont really have to read up on frame data if you just want to do decent online you know..