street fighter 4 fight stick, is it worth buying?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KevH1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 KevH1986
Member since 2009 • 40 Posts

I am now the proud owner of the fabled street fighter 4 as of yesterday....thing is trying to pull of the ultra combos is an absolute mare! I was trying for ages to get used to them but to no avail. should i dish out the cash for one of these joysticks or not. comments appreciated, cheers.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Well me personally would never spend 150 bucks on a fighting stick.I say if you are going to buy one,try to look for a cheaper one.Maybe in the 50-70 dollar range.But before any of that keep trying with the controller.You just got the game yesterday.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
Look for some of the cheaper, older, Hori Stick models. I got the EX 2 for about $40 at Gamestop last month...although they aren't very common.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Let me tell you this.It might take you even longer to get use to an arcade stick because you are so use to the controller.Now I could be wrong about that,but just keep that in mind.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts
I ordered one from Amazon Japan 10 days ago and it's finally ready to ship. I think it'll be worth it for me because I need all the help I can get pulling off moves.
KevH1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KevH1986

cheers, will take about it over the wkend....see if a can get any better 8)

lonewolfx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lonewolfx7
Member since 2005 • 182 Posts
I have one (the 1 for 150.00) I like it a lot and I think Its worth every penny I paid. Its still hard to get use to, after using the controller for so long. but Practise make perfect. :)
Fightwinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Fightwinner
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
You have to get a joystick. It's really hard to get win with the original controller pad. My fingers was getting very painful, but I still can't make the movement smooth. Just got a PS3 joystick from http://www.gadget-asia.com/en/3.html. It also sells Xbox 360 joystick. It's much cheaper (~$40) than elsewhere.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

If you want to enjoy this game to the fullest, you need the arcade stick. I bought the Hori stick for a pretty penny and so far it's been worth every cent. Only drop a dime if you're serious about the game though, if you're a casual player I wouldn't bother.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
It's worth it if you love Street Fighter and play it every time or if you're a tournament level competitor. For me, I don't have the cash to get one and I'm not a tournament level player to justify buying a $100 joystick. A Gamepad is doable though, maybe later on for me.
Lxthr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lxthr
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

Before you buy anything, consult this article. It's in Spanish, so you'll have to Babelfish it or something, but the author of the article knows what he's talking about.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20972 Posts
Depends on what you mean by the Fight Stick. Your best bet for an entry level stick is, depending on what system you have, the Hori EX2 or the Hori HFS3. Probably the best first sticks you can get. I'd really avoid the "$70-80" MadCatz SFIV Fight Stick unless you plan on modding it with Sanwa or Seimitsu parts, but both companies are backordered to hell. Then there's the "$150" MadCatz SFIV Tournament Edition. Best sticks I've ever used. Absolute top quality, taken straight from a Japanese arcade machine. Now here's the catch. SFIV has sold nearly or beyond a million copies in the US alone, and the expanded (ie: non-competitive players included) playerbase is doing something that it has never done before; realize that playing a fighting game with a controller is like playing Guitar Hero with a controller.. Suddenly every decent PS3/360 stick on the market got bought up, started eBaying for twice (or more) the MSRP. This is absolutely ridiculous, and I would wait for supply to catch up to demand, rather than shell out such absurd amounts of money like $400-1000 for the MadCatz TE. Best stick I've ever played on, still not worth THAT damn much. Give it a month or two...
4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
Dont think for a sec that a stick will improve your game just b/c you have one. The learning curve isnt as flat as some may believe. I have the TE stick and although i enjoy playing with it, I can tell that my level of play has suffered. Also, i find myself not playing as much as i thought i would but i guess that goes back to how much i enjoy the game as oppose to how much i enjoy the hardware. As stated above, i wouldnt recommend buying one unless you're serious player. If you just play casually, then a controller or a lower end stick would be more adequate.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20972 Posts
Dont think for a sec that a stick will improve your game just b/c you have one. The learning curve isnt as flat as some may believe. I have the TE stick and although i enjoy playing with it, I can tell that my level of play has suffered. Also, i find myself not playing as much as i thought i would but i guess that goes back to how much i enjoy the game as oppose to how much i enjoy the hardware. As stated above, i wouldnt recommend buying one unless you're serious player. If you just play casually, then a controller or a lower end stick would be more adequate.4NGoods
Generally, when a player transitions from a gamepad to a stick for the first time, there will be an initial (and sometimes very discouraging) drop in success, followed by a gradual and permanent improvement that will eventually soar well beyond anything they could've reached on a gamepad. It's something everyone has gone through except those who started out in the arcades.
ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 ShenlongBo
Member since 2004 • 3800 Posts

[QUOTE="4NGoods"]Dont think for a sec that a stick will improve your game just b/c you have one. The learning curve isnt as flat as some may believe. I have the TE stick and although i enjoy playing with it, I can tell that my level of play has suffered. Also, i find myself not playing as much as i thought i would but i guess that goes back to how much i enjoy the game as oppose to how much i enjoy the hardware. As stated above, i wouldnt recommend buying one unless you're serious player. If you just play casually, then a controller or a lower end stick would be more adequate.DarkCatalyst
Generally, when a player transitions from a gamepad to a stick for the first time, there will be an initial (and sometimes very discouraging) drop in success, followed by a gradual and permanent improvement that will eventually soar well beyond anything they could've reached on a gamepad. It's something everyone has gone through except those who started out in the arcades.

I'd just like to cosign for this assessment. I was one of those people who struggled during the transition to an arcade stick. I swear by it now though.

KevH1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KevH1986

thats me had itfor a few weeks now and i seem to have gotten used to it, I can do the super's and ultras pretty easily now with the normal control pad and am winning most of my fights.....so its all good