Story Driven Games: Can You Finish Them?

• 148 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@The_Last_Ride

lol... See ?

You're doing "it" again....... :)

I don't have an issue with accepting something I don't like.... I can do that easily.... The issue arrises when you back up and take a closer look.

You know somebody once told me games are all about "immersion"...... As much as I liked the idea I could still see something was wrong with it...... Just like I do with how games are now.......

This whole "like it or not" thing was never a factor.....

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#102 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@The_Last_Ride

lol... See ?

You're doing "it" again....... :)

I don't have an issue with accepting something I don't like.... I can do that easily.... The issue arrises when you back up and take a closer look.

You know somebody once told me games are all about "immersion"...... As much as I liked the idea I could still see something was wrong with it...... Just like I do with how games are now.......

This whole "like it or not" thing was never a factor.....

Why do sites like Rev3Games, IGN, Gamespot, Machinima, GiantBomb, etc are all reviewing it. THat means they view it as a game...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Lulu_Lulu

@The_Last_Ride

How they view it is just that.... Their view.

If I were to hold a coin up to your face you would only "view" one side of it......

Its just pecreption. You remember Bioshock Infinite right ?

Things may have changed and people may like the changes, and we may have built a whole massive ecosystem out of these changes.... Doesn't mean they're not undisputable....... In essence thats sort of what happened, people are interchanging the concepts of colonizing and nativity.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#104 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

How do you feel about story driven games? Does the gameplay keep you engaged or is a good story enough for you to ignore lazy cut and paste scenarios? Let's discuss.

Story driven games are the main reason I got into video games, I can honestly say if I never got into video game characters and stories, I wouldn't here. To answer your second question, both evenly keep my intrigued.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#105 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@The_Last_Ride

Believe it or not I don't have a solid answer for that one......... Or maybe this language is too insufficient to come up with one.....

The best I can do is Identify the key components are: Interaction, a Goal, Rules and Challenge.

The boys in the lab are still working on the rest.

Defining games is like trying to define Happyness.

What are you talking about LuLu? defining games are as easy as defining what a car is, you might not like the idea that your 1million$ Ferrari is just a car like the 200$ Ford Mustang with rust all over. And people might argue from here until eternity that a Ferrari is more than just a car, but it doesn't change the facts.

We are dealing with an objective definition like with games and what can be called a game, so again yes Beyond two souls is just a game, Heavy Rain is just a game just like Pong is just a game or Farmville is just a game.

It´s kinda funny that you treat games like something subjective that are open for interpretation like art and what art is, but art is not games and games are never art.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

I think you're confusing defining with coming to a conclusion.

And ofcourse a ferrari is a car..... The situation arise when in the future cars hover instead of role on wheels.... But I'm not going into that today....

Also I'm the only one here whos not treating it subjectively....

I hate the idea of art..... It overated and its a load of bullsh!t... Just like immersion..... !

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

I think you're confusing defining with coming to a conclusion.

And ofcourse a ferrari is a car..... The situation arise when in the future cars hover instead of role on wheels.... But I'm not going into that today....

Also I'm the only one here whos not treating it subjectively....

I hate the idea of art..... It overated and its a load of bullsh!t... Just like immersion..... !

Well, i dont know why others are looking at what is a game as something subjective. After all pick up any dictionary and look under what game is, and then you have what a game is.

And immersion isn't just a buzz word, infact thats the key to why a lot of gamers play games. But that is subjective ;)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

Yes.... Because the guy who wrote the definition of the word game is totally a Super Mario fan.......

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

Yes.... Because the guy who wrote the definition of the word game is totally a Super Mario fan.......

And the girl who wrote what colour is , is also totally a Super Mario Fan.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

Nope.... Shes a Naruto fan Obviously...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

Nope.... Shes a Naruto fan Obviously...

Nah, thats what you think :)

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@behardy24: "Story driven games are the main reason I got into video games, I can honestly say if I never got into video game characters and stories, I wouldn't here. To answer your second question, both evenly keep my intrigued"

You didn't answer the second question.

"Does the gameplay keep you engaged or is a good story enough for you to ignore lazy cut and paste scenarios?"

The question is asking if you can ignore mediocre gameplay for the sake of a good story.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#113 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm very surprised at the number of people that say story is the most important aspect to them in a video game. I guess I'll just have to accept that point of view as something I may never understand. I've always find the strength of this medium comes from that aspect that separates it from other mediums: interaction. The more a game attempts to tell you a specific story, the less choice/ interaction the player is given. It's this conflict between these two aspects that makes me feel like they'll never coexist to their fullest potential. Gameplay and story, for the most part, work against one another. Compromises have to be made on one end to accommodate the other.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

Gameplay for me comes first and foremost. If the game isn't fun to play or has broken and/or underdeveloped mechanics then there really isn't a point. That being said, I do really enjoy story driven games. A lot of the times the story gives context to the players action and puts them in interesting scenarios that would otherwise seem out of place.

You've usually been pretty vocal about your dislike for narrative in games, Uncharted in particular (I fucking love Uncharted), but I find The Last of Us to be one of the few games that does the mixture of gameplay and story/narrative just right.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

I can "think" ? :o

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#116 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@Pikminmaniac: what about interactivity as a means to create your own story?

Fistan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#117 Fistan87
Member since 2011 • 62 Posts

i think it needs to be a mix between, a bad gameplay will always bore us as would having too many cutscenes. But story really is one of the most important aspects of a game. Gameplay nowadays are extremeley similar in every fucking game. even controls are standardized. I think devs need to be a bit more creative.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 The_Last_Ride

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@The_Last_Ride

How they view it is just that.... Their view.

If I were to hold a coin up to your face you would only "view" one side of it......

Its just pecreption. You remember Bioshock Infinite right ?

Things may have changed and people may like the changes, and we may have built a whole massive ecosystem out of these changes.... Doesn't mean they're not undisputable....... In essence thats sort of what happened, people are interchanging the concepts of colonizing and nativity.

But these make a freaking living off gaming. If the industry as a whole didn't feel that these weren't games, then nobody would review them...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Lulu_Lulu

@The_Last_Ride

Theres no rule that says you can't build an empire on a lie.... Infact thats pretty much how things usually are.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

I can "think" ? :o

Nope, but who on this forum can that :D

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

".....interactivity as a means to create your own story?"

You mean interpretation.... (The Sims, Left 4 Dead) ?

Or do you you mean choose your own adventure type thing (Heavy Rain, Mass Effect) ?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 The_Last_Ride

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@The_Last_Ride

Theres no rule that says you can't build an empire on a lie.... Infact thats pretty much how things usually are.

I don't see a counter argument. You're basicly saying the entire industry behind a conspiracy to call Beyond Two Souls a game. You do know how stupid that sounds right?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Lulu_Lulu

@Pikminmaniac

I wouldn't be so bold to make a claim like that but all evidence up to this point has been in your favour..... The boys in the lab are hard at work trying to figure it out.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Lulu_Lulu

@The_Last_Ride

Its not a conspiracy, its the human condition, we blurr the facts with subjective bias constantly.....

And yeah I realise its stupid... Thats kind of the point, this medium is full of backwards thinking and you shouldn't expect its shortcommings to be deep and profound. Only humans are this self centered, we're so narcisistic that even when we're wrong we want to be wrong in a way that seems clever instead of accepting that sometimes we forget to plug in the machine when we complain that its broken..... Thats Gaming in a nutshell.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: why don't you make an actual counter argument instead of just saying "I think you're wrong. You mad?" As for what type of storytelling there should be, who cares? Stories are made in many different ways. Hell, I've made stories vastly different from one another. Some use world building, others have dialogue and human conflict, while a few are simply nothing but the character's thoughts. Video games have their own methods of storytelling distinct from one another. To say one way is the only way to do it is to limit the medium into producing only one type of video game, which would immediately kill the industry.

These are the definitions of a story:

1. a narrative, either true or fictitious, in prose or verse, designed to interest, amuse, or instruct the hearer or reader; tale.

2. a fictitious tale, shorter and less elaborate than a novel.

3. such narratives or tales as a branch of literature: song and story.

4. the plot or succession of incidents of a novel, poem, drama, etc.: The characterizations were good, but the story was weak.

5. a narration of an incident or a series of events or an example of these that is or may be narrated, as an anecdote, joke, etc.

Now tell me how video games can't possibly apply this when they have been trying to do so since the 1980s?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 The_Last_Ride

@mastermetal777: The only thing you need is interaction and BOOM! You got a game

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Yeah.... All I did was ask what you meant....... You could atleast wait for me to actually make the argument before you jump the gun counter something I haven't said yet.....

Also I'd like to adress point 5..... The problem with narration of anything is just that, narration, to narrate is to tell a story...... Implying one person speaks and the other persons sits on their ass and does nothing more than listen..... Its the brick wall this medium has been running into since the 1980's.

Now if you want have a story in a game then no problem.... Story and Gameplay can coexist comfortably..... But if you want to somehow mix gameplay and narratives then you're in for a long and painfull eternity because these concepts clash at every turn.

ChefPers0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#128 ChefPers0n
Member since 2012 • 44 Posts
@jimmy_russell said:

I don't play games for a story, I play them for the gameplay. If I wanted a good story with believable characters and a plot that is intriguing, I would be reading a book or watching a movie. Video games with narrative are some of the worst pieces of entertainment in existence.

Apart from Silent Hill 2, I don't believe I've played a video-game which deviates from It's paint-by-numbers genre template. Most, if not all, video-games have dull, derivative and genuinely shit storylines. There is no value in looking to games for story and it's high-time the industry shuts up about it.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@ChefPers0n:

"Apart from Silent Hill 2, I don't believe I've played a video-game which deviates from It's paint-by-numbers genre template. Most, if not all, video-games have dull, derivative and genuinely shit storylines. There is no value in looking to games for story and it's high-time the industry shuts up about it"

Hope you feel better now, no use keeping all that bullshit locked away inside

ChefPers0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By ChefPers0n

@xeno_ghost: Considering that you popped your Gamespot cherry with that, I can only assume my post angered you enough to warrant creating an account (or sock). It is a pity that you couldn't find an argument to accompany your bitterness and condescension.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#131  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

I can finish them if the gameplay isn't oppressively awful. Unfortunately this is rarely the case.

mattarous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#132 mattarous
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

For the exact same reasons as you, sir, I have never finished one story-based video game on my PS3.

evan22198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 evan22198
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

For me, I can only play story driven games. I feel that when you only play games online, everything ends up repeating itself, and the gameplay elements become repetitive, therefore requiring you to buy DLC, such as map packs. Story driven games, however, have that same gameplay while engaging you and giving you something new at each and every turn. While story games are barely replayable, online games are, which is why a balance is needed. Personally, I do not like them, however I can see why people do. Games like bioshock have an incredibly engaging story while succeeding in creating a game that is worth playing in it's gameplay core. When a balance between the two is found, then it is something beautiful. Otherwise, it can be one way or the other, and that all depends on preference.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 mastermetal777

@evan22198: This. If you don't like story-driven games, don't play them. There are plenty of options for the gameplay-only crowd. Don't try to force your gaming preferences down everybody's throat saying that it's "the only way to play", because that's very narrow minded.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@ChefPers0n: I know you was just voicing your opinion but to say

"Most, if not all, video-games have dull, derivative and genuinely shit storylines"

It's kind of a dumb blanket statement.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 mastermetal777

@xeno_ghost: I wouldn't say "shit" storylines, but very few video games have truly great stories. Over 90% of games have very generic types of stories, like saving the world, defeating the enemy force, finding a hidden treasure, etc. Film can be the same way, as can novels, but video games seem to have it more so.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Jacanuk

@mastermetal777 said:

@xeno_ghost: I wouldn't say "shit" storylines, but very few video games have truly great stories. Over 90% of games have very generic types of stories, like saving the world, defeating the enemy force, finding a hidden treasure, etc. Film can be the same way, as can novels, but video games seem to have it more so.

Well, games also have to be interactive but if you look at movies, book, music its also for 90% the exact same, they have a generic template they run by and just change the story.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#138 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I found The Last of Us' game play to be more engaging as it progressed. I'm usually able to finish narrative driven games. Most are short. Only time becomes a factor for me not finishing a game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Lulu_Lulu

As Awesome as The Last Of Us was..... I think the best Story Driven games will come from the Adventure genre.....

My number 1 candidate is the deeply Flawed LA. Noire.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Lulu_Lulu

Actually now that I think about it.... What the hell does "Story-Driven" mean exactly ?

Does the story actually drive the game or does that simply mean that theres alot of story. ? Is it story-driven or "Story Heavy" ?

Or maybe the actual meaning got lost somewhere and now people think that "Story Driven" means the story "drives" the player.... Not the game.

Feel free to chip in...

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: story-driven means that the main reason for playing the game - learning mechanics and all that - is to play through the game's story. It's a game where what you learn as you play is directly related to how the story plays out. This is opposed to gameplay-driven games, where the reason for playing is to become better at the game by mastering its rules.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#142  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Actually now that I think about it.... What the hell does "Story-Driven" mean exactly ?

Does the story actually drive the game or does that simply mean that theres alot of story. ? Is it story-driven or "Story Heavy" ?

Or maybe the actual meaning got lost somewhere and now people think that "Story Driven" means the story "drives" the player.... Not the game.

Feel free to chip in...

I like to think that in a story-driven game the gameplay mechanics and progression all serve to further develop the plot rather than being simple means to end, and make sense lore-wise. To separate this from probably every game ever made, they rely on exposition and cutscenes.

I guess a story-heavy video game contains a lot of background lore, regardless of it's use in the actual gameplay

Didn't give this post much thought, gotta watch that World Cup :P

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

But you can still play a gameplay oriented game for the story, games usually include both and I don't think defining a game by what a user plays a specific game for as a reliable way to define something... After all, I didn't care much for TLOU's story, I kept playing for the gameplay.... Played it twice now, skipped past all the cutscenes on the second playthrough.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Lulu_Lulu

@SovietsUnited

The reall problem is seperating game mechanics that are story oriented from the game mechanics the the player merely perceives as being related to the story.....

The other problem is determining whether a game mechanic is actually gameplay or just an interaction...... Obviously before we can cross that bridge we need to clarify the difference between a gameplay and a game mechanic/interactions and how not all game mechanics/interactions are actually gameplay.....

Also I like football but damn I hate the World Cup..... I think the most exciting competition to watch is The UEFA Champions League.

ChefPers0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By ChefPers0n

@xeno_ghost: I can only assume that you aren't articulate enough to challenge the statement. Well then, just keep calling it "dumb" and "bullshit".

Though you're right, It's a deliberately superfluous blanket statement tailored to my opinion, but I wouldn't call it dumb. Had I said "all video-games have shit stories" then it would be dumb, but, as you can see, I word it like an estimation "most, if not all". This, I feel, redeems it from sounding too much like a sweeping generalisation.

Avatar image for mastershake1985
MasterShake1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 MasterShake1985
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

It is a combination of both gameplay and story. First thing you notice is gameplay. Even if a game has a great story if you can't play it due to terrible gameplay then it fails. What keeps you around after that fact is the story. Last of Us is a good example. The gameplay was decent, but if the story wasn't good I would have put an hour into it then quit.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Lulu_Lulu

Wow this thread takes me back.....

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Wow this thread takes me back.....

Yep it takes you back 7 months to be precise.

But Thread Necromancy is just bad......

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Please do not bump old threads, make sure to check the date of the last post before posting, will be locking this folks.