Steam Machine unboxing video

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-s-steam-machine-gets-unboxed-by-lucky-gamer/1100-6416731/

300 beta testers have received their Steam... things (consoles? Standard hardware PCs? What are they?)

Well, feast your eyes on the unboxing and booting videos.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70910 Posts

Hmmm. It would be interesting to see how this SteamOS impacts console game. Fall 2016 :)

Why is this monkey focusing on the greenlight in the second video?

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@Pedro said:

Hmmm. It would be interesting to see how this SteamOS impacts console game. Fall 2016 :)

Apparently we are looking at a $900-$1500 price range, so...

I just don't see why anyone who owns a gaming PC should be interested in this and why anyone who games on consoles should want this over a gaming PC.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

lol the guy needs to learn not to let his daughter do the camera work, she was more interested in the green light than the screen.

But its a pc sooooooooo i can't see me getting one at all.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pedro

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@Pedro said:

I just don't see why anyone who owns a gaming PC should be interested in this and why anyone who games on consoles should want this over a gaming PC.

"The Verge reports that the Steam Machine will pack a multi-core AMD CPU, AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card and be bundled with one of Valve'sSteam Controllers for $499when it arrives. It's not clear which model that list of specs and price tag apply to, but we've reached out to iBuyPower for clarification and will update once more as soon as we find out."

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

If it comes out at 499. That's going to make it interesting. It's not going to sell 20 mil. It could do 5 mil

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@Pedro: Yes, I found a link detailing that model as well (the poor man's model :P )

My question is still: why would anyone with a capable gaming PC want one? In what ways does it differ from a gaming PC?

I'm too lazy to google it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jacanuk

@Pedro said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@Pedro said:

"The Verge reports that the Steam Machine will pack a multi-core AMD CPU, AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card and be bundled with one of Valve'sSteam Controllers for $499when it arrives. It's not clear which model that list of specs and price tag apply to, but we've reached out to iBuyPower for clarification and will update once more as soon as we find out."

You do know that what you're linking to is not the Valve made Steam Box? its a another company who have build a formfactor pc with the steam OS.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59585 Posts

As a pc gamer already with a pc, the pad is probably the most interesting aspect. Hopefully it's reasonably priced and well supported.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Wish they sent them cameras too

Holy crap, what people use for video these days.....

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pedro

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@Pedro: Yes, I found a link detailing that model as well (the poor man's model :P )

My question is still: why would anyone with a capable gaming PC want one? In what ways does it differ from a gaming PC?

Pretty simple, they are a Steam fanboy or some folks may want a gaming PC without the "hassle" of building or configuring one.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pedro

@Jacanuk said:

You do know right that what you're linking to is not the Valve made Steam Box right? its a another company who have build a formfactor pc with the steam OS.

Yes, I am aware of that because SteamOS systems would not be limited to the ones made exclusively by Valve, so if you are using a price range it would include all Steam boxes.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jacanuk

@Pedro said:

@Jacanuk said:

You do know right that what you're linking to is not the Valve made Steam Box right? its a another company who have build a formfactor pc with the steam OS.

Yes, I am aware of that because SteamOS systems would not be limited to the ones made exclusively by Valve, so if you are using a price range it would include all Steam boxes.

Not really since you have the Valve Steam Box which haven't been named as a form factor PC,

The link you came with is a company that has come out and said its a FFPC, and if we talk about that, even 499 is not the cheapest you can get, since it now depends on what kind of pc graphics you want.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacanuk

@Black_Knight_00 said:

That is indeed the question.

Personally i think Gabe has lost it a bit and have let his hate against microsoft cloud his judgement.

Because so far the best thing is the steam os, which i must admit seems like a great idea, the steam box tho is a strange idea and with the price tag of a genuine Valve-Steambox, it seems to be targeted a select group.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pedro

@dvader654 said:

I love how Pedro has a time set for the console apocalypse. :P

I still dont get why I should get this.

Because the apocalypse draweth near. :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pedro

@Jacanuk said:

Not really since you have the Valve Steam Box which haven't been named as a form factor PC,

The link you came with is a company that has come out and said its a FFPC, and if we talk about that, even 499 is not the cheapest you can get, since it now depends on what kind of pc graphics you want.

I don't see how any of what you say changes anything that was written in my original response.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Black_Knight_00

@Pedro said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Pretty simple, they are a Steam fanboy or some folks may want a gaming PC without the "hassle" of building or configuring one.

"Cashing in on Steam fanboys who'll buy Gaben's navel lint if he sold it" was also what I was leaning towards when it comes to marketing these, but on a more practical side, do we know what they will do? Can I open a spreadsheet on them? Can I install and use photoshop? If no, why would I buy these over a PC?

Are they simpler? How? How is the software structured? Does the OS have a registry that gets clogged and tangled when you install and uninstall a hundred games? And if yes, again: why would I buy this over a preassembled and preconfigured PC or pay a local geek 20 bucks to assemble some components in case I were unable to?

Darkeroid2212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkeroid2212
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

Well, I think that, like consoles, games will be optimized for Steam OS, or Steam Machines. Like, they can run games way better with prettier visuals and other extra features, than a PC of the same specs. This will be hard, because then they will have to basically make two copies of every game, one for Steam OS and one for Windows or other Linux machines, but that is the only way they can drive people to buy one.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

There is no Valve Steam Machine. They won't be selling them. The ones they've given out are to beta test the OS and controller ahead of other manufacturers throwing their units onto the market.

They're PCs, they'll be able to be slightly cheaper than most prebuilt PCs because they don't need the added cost of a Windows license. I say "need" because some will come with Windows installed.

As for why someone with a gaming PC would want one, I've no idea. But for someone without a gaming PC they'll be a good option for getting access to Steams cheap library.

The OS is basically a stock minimal Debian install with the standard Steam client booting to big picture mode. It doesn't really add anything you can't do with the normal Steam client on either Windows or other Linux distros.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21  Edited By Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Gets computer with a pretty nice Nvidia graphics card...plays game that would run just fine on a $50 CPU's integrated graphics.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

just get a gaming pc. unless they were going to release this at the same price as the sony and microsoft consoles, why are they even trying? real pc gamers already have gaming pcs or are planning on making new ones in the next year or so.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Well I would be interested as I like the looks of the console and the fact that it's compact unlike a typical PC that takes up way too much room. I don't like the fact that it's digital only. I doubt that it will get the support that it's looking for from the developers. It's a great idea but not sure if it will catch on.

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

Indeed! The gamepad is interesting, so is the machine but I prefer my desktop.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

I'm still curious about the gamepad, but like many ITT I really don't know who would be interested in buying the machine.