scootersgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 scootersgaming
Member since 2017 • 38 Posts

It's only $39 and they just had an expansion. The recent YouTube videos about EOS in 2018 say it's much improved. So I gave it a shot. I'm a big fan of Skyrim!

Bug #1: the installer that downloads the 85 gigs doesn't download in the background. I left my computer on at night expecting the game to be downloaded when I got to my desk this morning. Nope. If the screen saver goes on, or if the installer is in the background, it stops downloading. Seriously?

Bug #2: it crashes on launch. Clicking on the PLAY button launches the game and it immediately "Quits unexpectedly".

Is this the first puzzle in the game, figuring out how to play it? ;)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58274 Posts

That's too bad, it's a fun game.

Maybe the problem is with your computer?

Also, are you sure it stopped? A lot of times when downloading/installing stuff will "freeze" and then you'll see it go like 10% all of a sudden; have you been giving it the opportunity?

Another question: when you leave your computer on overnight, does it go to "sleep"? Does the hard drive/computer essentially turn off?

scootersgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By scootersgaming

Yeah, it slows down to ZERO on downloading if the installer app isn't in the foreground. You can see it happen just by switching between the installer app and other apps. My computer was on all night. It definitely stopped. I had to stop working on that Mac this morning while it downloaded with the installer in the foreground.

I can't get it to launch. It quits every time with "eso quit unexpectedly..." dialogue.

Apple hardware well above the system requirements (2013 Mac Pro dual 700 GPU)
Apple operating system
Game has been out 4 years
No excuses for this

I'm downloading the PS4 version and requesting a refund from the eso store.

Thanks again

scootersgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 scootersgaming

@mrbojangles25: I played it a few hours on the PS4, yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it so far! It's very much like Skyrim, except the load times are much shorter. Ha! Thanks again.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56041 Posts

I'm just waiting for the main Elder Scroll game to be release after Skyrim anyways. I'm not interest in these spin-off Elder Scroll games.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

Played The Elder Scrolls Online at launch and when it got the Dark Brotherhood DLC.

Neither time did I enjoy the game.

Terrible gameplay, even for an MMO.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#7 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I would just as soon say "Stay away from ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE...period."

I played it for about a month, thought it was pretty bad, then remembered the reason I enjoyed the Elder Scrolls so much in the first place. This game is not that.

Avatar image for furiousfighterz
FuriousFighterZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FuriousFighterZ
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

@scootersgaming: Lol

scootersgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scootersgaming
@RSM-HQ said:

Played The Elder Scrolls Online at launch and when it got the Dark Brotherhood DLC.

Oh, OK. The gameplay is pretty much identical to Skyrim, IMHO – map, compass, combat, spell casting, receiving quests, NPC interactions with voiceover and response options menu, crafting (more in-depth than Skyrim), buying a house and furnishing it (more in-depth than Skyrim). The game has been out for about 4 years, I think. Apparently, it has seen some hefty updates since then, like bug fixes, owning homes (just like Skyrim) and furnishing them and sharing them with your guild members.

@Blueresident87 said:

I played it for about a month, thought it was pretty bad, then remembered the reason I enjoyed the Elder Scrolls so much in the first place. This game is not that.

What did you enjoy in Elder Scrolls that ESO is not?

They just need to work on their quality control on the Mac, apparently.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RSM-HQ

@scootersgaming:

The gameplay is pretty much identical to Skyrim

combat, spell casting,

If that was a compliment to the game you would be sadly mistaken. Attacks have detection errors that make Skyrims combat seem well refined. Duel wielding is added but worse in the MMO, not to mention it's something you unlock much later in the game; while in Skyrim you have it from the beginning.

receiving quests, NPC interactions with voiceover and response options menu, crafting (more in-depth than Skyrim)

From my experience quests are terrible in both Skyrim and Online so in this area I may agree. Yet even then Online to me was the worst quest experience I've had in an Elder Scrolls game

map, compass

Cosmetic similarities don't hide that it's a more shallow experience.

crafting (more in-depth than Skyrim)

One of the few things I enjoyed in my time playing ESO. And that says a lot when quests and combat should be an Action RPGs main appeal.

I think. Apparently, it has seen some hefty updates since then, like bug fixes, owning homes (just like Skyrim) and furnishing them and sharing them with your guild members.

Brotherhood DLC was 2016. I've seen the improvements in this MMO. The game was just worse at launch, and by worse, I mean a really bad game.

scootersgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 scootersgaming
@RSM-HQ said:

@scootersgaming:

The gameplay is pretty much identical to Skyrim

combat, spell casting,

If that was a compliment to the game you would be sadly mistaken. Attacks have detection errors that make Skyrims combat seem well refined. Duel wielding is added but worse in the MMO, not to mention it's something you unlock much later in the game; while in Skyrim you have it from the beginning.

receiving quests, NPC interactions with voiceover and response options menu, crafting (more in-depth than Skyrim)

From my experience quests are terrible in both Skyrim and Online so in this area I may agree. Yet even then Online to me was the worst quest experience I've had in an Elder Scrolls game

map, compass

Cosmetic similarities don't hide that it's a more shallow experience.

crafting (more in-depth than Skyrim)

One of the few things I enjoyed in my time playing ESO. And that says a lot when quests and combat should be an Action RPGs main appeal.

I think. Apparently, it has seen some hefty updates since then, like bug fixes, owning homes (just like Skyrim) and furnishing them and sharing them with your guild members.

Brotherhood DLC was 2016. I've seen the improvements in this MMO. The game was just worse at launch, and by worse, I mean a really bad game.

Yeah, if you don't like Skyrim, you won't like ESO. Agreed. However, I disagree that ESO is a more shallow experience than Skyrim. It has a ton more depth from my experience.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RSM-HQ

@scootersgaming: If you enjoy the game? By all means don't let my opinion reflect your enjoyment.

Only write on behalf my own experiences and stick to how I felt while playing. If others agree or not is really debateable_

It has a ton more depth from my experience

I would not use the word "depth" to anything related to ESO but again, that's just one opinion. You have builds but they rarely have drastic differences compared to Action RPGs with far more depth. It's an MMO so I don't expect much in that area.

Denklord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Denklord
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

@scootersgaming: it works well on windows

scootersgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 scootersgaming
@RSM-HQ said:

You have builds but they rarely have drastic differences compared to Action RPGs with far more depth. It's an MMO so I don't expect much in that area.

5 different classes – 3 different class skill lines in each. Each skill line has 10 skills.

Then you have skill lines for each guild – Fighter, Mage, Thieves etc. Each of those has 10 different skills too.

6 different weapons – 2-hand, 1-hand, dual, bow, destruction staff, restoration staff – each with 11 different skills.

3 different types of armor – each with 6 skills.

10 different races – each with 4 skills.

Alliance war (siege combat) has 2 skill lines (Assault & support) and each has 8 skills.

Soul magic skill set, and "legerdemain" skill set, which are another 5 skills for thieves.

7 crafting skill lines with 6 different skills in each.

Each skill can be leveled 1-4.

Not really sure what you mean by not much difference between builds. There are literally hundreds of differences, just in skills. Then you have the depth of apparel and weapons. Each one has the material it's made of, the level it's made at, the style (about a dozen – Dark Elf, Nord, etc), and then the trait. You only get traits by researching magic items you find, which destroys them. One of the crafting perks for each (woodworking, jewelry, blacksmith...) is to be able to research 2 at a time instead of just 1. Then you have the enchantments for each weapon/apparel.

Once you make an item with all those aspects, you can edit the color dyes of every item. You find different dyes throughout the game.

Then you have the costumes, the huge number of different mounts you can get and each mount has 3 attributes that you can pay to upgrade – speed, carrying capacity, stamina. You can only upgrade 1% each day up to a 60% increase on each of those.

The housing and furnishings is ridiculously deep in this game too.

At this point I'm wondering what action RPG you are playing that is deeper than this! I'd like to check it out! ha

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RSM-HQ

@scootersgaming: A lot of that doesn't really change from a combat perspective. Do some Cyrodiil skirmishes and you'll see exactly what I mean. Skills are hollow if the results barely have a difference in depth.

You have the falsehood of choice but don't really have many actual choices.

You have casters, ranged, and melee. Little else outside that, well Nightblade has it good for illusion if I'm being generous to add one more build.

10 different races – each with 4 skills

Some have starting advantages but has little difference once you have a levelled build. This isn't new to any Elder Scrolls game though.

7 crafting skill lines with 6 different skills in each.

I'm starting to see you refuse to acknowledge what depth actually is in a game.

Each skill can be leveled 1-4

Standard progression rules, not gameplay depth. You need these higher to be relevant as you progress.

There are literally hundreds of differences

No, not really. And what you've provided doesn't show this either outside of cosmetics. Cosmetics are not depth.

Once you make an item with all those aspects, you can edit the color dyes of every item. You find different dyes throughout the game.

Oh, so it's doing something most RPGs have been doing for decades

And what's that got to do with "depth". That's another cosmetic quality.

At this point I'm wondering what action RPG you are playing that is deeper than this! I'd like to check it out! ha

Sarcasm isn't helping your stance but I will humor the ignorance.

Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, Monster Hunter. Should I name more?

Here is an Elder Scrolls one_

Morrowind.

Have a nice day dood.

Again, if you like the game? that's all fine.

You don't need to convince me, as the arguments you've given only remind me more why I dislike ESO.

scootersgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 scootersgaming

Hey, man, I realize it's OK that I like the game and you don't. No worries. You replied to my post about how I liked the game and you said things that confused me, that's all.

You have the falsehood of choice but don't really have many actual choices.

Having hundreds of skills to spend skill points on is the definition of many choices.

Skills are hollow if the results barely have a difference in depth

Having hundreds of skill choices that give you new abilities is the very definition of depth. I can summon a Storm Atronarch because I spent a skill point on that ability. If you didn't spend a skill point on that ability, you don't have it. And that is a DPS ability. I could CHOOSE to spend a skill point on healing, instead. And there are huge differences between tank/dps/healing in the raids. Anyone who raids will laugh when you tell them there is no difference between tank/dps/healing.

I'm starting to see you refuse to acknowledge what depth actually is in a game.

I missed where you explained it. You've only said ESO lacks depth and cited character builds as an example when each character literally is differentiated by hundreds of skills. Please explain what you mean by "depth" and how ESO is lacking it.

You have casters, ranged, and melee

What more would you expect in a fantasy RPG? I mean, you cited Monster Hunter and it has that MINUS spells.

And what you've provided doesn't show this either outside of cosmetics

Skills are abilities, not cosmetics.

Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, Monster Hunter. Should I name more?

I haven't played Dragon's Dogma. How is it more deep than ESO?

Dark Souls doesn't even have quests or story. Maybe we are thinking of different definitions for the word "depth". How is it more deep?

Monster Hunter World? No spell casting at all, and for me, it's way too shallow. You go out, kill a monster with melee or range, and then you go back to the base. Nothing more to it than that, really. Got bored very quickly. But hey, if you like those games, great. How is it more deep than ESO?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RSM-HQ

@scootersgaming: I think we're getting words confused with "choice" and "depth", more choices isn't really depth, it can be but for ESO it's really not.

An example-

If I told you in Pokémon you can have a Pichu instead of a Pikachu. Would you call that depth? No, it's a choice, and an irrelevant one at that.

Skills are abilities, not cosmetics

They are cosmetic

cosmetics/=/appearances

If the only difference is animation and minor damage differences. I recall having a crossbow that functions exactly like a Casters fireball. You can't run with the crossbow it just appears and activates, like a spell. That's cosmetic. When playing ESO played with a group of friends each trying to be something different and the changes turned out extremely minor. This is the false-hood of depth I'm writing about. The lists you provide don't change actual gameplay and the context in the abilites the game provides.

Dark Souls doesn't even have quests or story. Maybe we are thinking of different definitions for the word "depth". How is it more deep?

No one I've ever known calls quests depth. If it's a regional term I can understand but would state that's more you using the term out of context.

Some may say a story has depth, but I'm clearly been in discussion of combat though most my messages. Goes without stating. You actually have hundreds of builds in DkS. And can check PvP contests for any DkS game to find out more.

Monster Hunter World? No spell casting at all, and for me, it's way too shallow.

At least know the games you comment on, sheesh. .

For one, MH has been going on since the 128-bit generation. World is the 17th mainline game in the series. Secondly you don't know what "shallow" means if you use it for Monster Hunter.

Solely on the case of 'I need magic to enjoy a game' MH has a weapon class called a Hunting Horn which applies buffs in various ways, and many Event weapons of all classes, some which cast magic from the franchise they come from.

Even without that, magic isn't really that differently used in games to firearms especially in Elder Scrolls and ESO, something MH has plenty of.

Nothing more to it than that, really. Got bored very quickly.

Not sure who you're fooling or the game was simply too much for you. I'm sure you tried your best regardless, World hasn't got a good building block tutorial for knowing what a MH game has to offer. Despite that, it's still very present_

Even as simple as the gestures that can throw a Ryu fireball and shoot Dantes guns in MH:W act differently unlike the majority of abilities in that mediocre MMO.

On top of that the game has Traps to put monsters to sleep with trans, you can manipulate turf wars, flash pods to knock winged beasts out the air, bombs to rip off limbs, drugged meat, screamer-pods to stop burrowing. That's not even going into the depth of abilities you can activate, and environment hazards. . And I'm only scratching the basics_

These things are the definition of "depth" in gameplay.

At least I provide context for ESO, and it's lacking features. You're giving the most dismissive 'I haven't played it' opinion to Monster Hunter I've read on these forums.

But hey, if you like those games, great. How is it more deep than ESO?

Already explained above. All that is "depth".

ESO is not. But enjoy it regardless.

I don't get why you just can't see Elder Scrolls Online as the shallow game it is with a lack of depth, it really doesn't try to be more than what it is. In fact I would say ESO clearly embraces its shallow nature for simplicity. Which is what most people like about MMO games, a dumb game that doesn't require much from the player outside of 'time'.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@scootersgaming said:
@RSM-HQ said:

Oh, OK. The gameplay is pretty much identical to Skyrim, IMHO – map, compass, combat, spell casting, receiving quests, NPC interactions with voiceover and response options menu, crafting (more in-depth than Skyrim), buying a house and furnishing it (more in-depth than Skyrim). The game has been out for about 4 years, I think. Apparently, it has seen some hefty updates since then, like bug fixes, owning homes (just like Skyrim) and furnishing them and sharing them with your guild members.

@Blueresident87 said:

What did you enjoy in Elder Scrolls that ESO is not?

They just need to work on their quality control on the Mac, apparently.

The game just doesn't feel like Elder Scrolls. I've always played Elder Scrolls games for their freedom, the joy of finding equipment randomly in the world that is better than what I have, of pacing myself so I enjoy as much as possible as I play through the game.

Elder Scrolls is a great theme for a MMO, so it makes sense. Not for me though, once I ran around a bit and saw a bunch of other stranger avatars running around it was over for me. The immersion was gone, and that's what I like about ES games.

scootersgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 scootersgaming

@RSM-HQ said:

Skills are abilities, not cosmetics

They are cosmetic

cosmetics/=/appearances

If the only difference is animation and minor damage differences. I recall having a crossbow that functions exactly like a Casters fireball.

OK, so it's pretty clear you haven't played ESO because it doesn't have crossbows and there is no fireball spell, and no class called "Caster".

No one I've ever known calls quests depth

Everyone I know does, and they prefer to have quests in their RPG. But hey, if you think Witcher III would be better without quests, more power to you.

Monster Hunter World? No spell casting at all, and for me, it's way too shallow.

At least know the games you comment on, sheesh. .

Monster Hunter World doesn't have spell casting - period. You were criticizing a game you obviously haven't even played for only having spell/range/melee and I pointed out that MHW has one less from that list.

Solely on the case of 'I need magic to enjoy a game' MH has a weapon class called a Hunting Horn which applies buffs in various ways

Oh wow, buffs. Good for MHW. ESO has dozens of buff and debuffs. You'd know that if you played it.

Even without that, magic isn't really that differently used in games to firearms especially in Elder Scrolls and ESO, something MH has plenty of.

That's hilarious, and ignorant. How do you summon a Storm Atronach with a firearm in MHW?

That's not even going into the depth of abilities you can activate, and environment hazards.

Nah, those are just cosmetic. Skills/abilities aren't depth, remember? lol

Monster Hunter World is a boring game where you simply gear up, go out and kill a monster, rinse, repeat. But hey, if you like it, that's great.

scootersgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By scootersgaming

@Blueresident87 said:

The game just doesn't feel like Elder Scrolls. I've always played Elder Scrolls games for their freedom, the joy of finding equipment randomly in the world that is better than what I have, of pacing myself so I enjoy as much as possible as I play through the game.

Elder Scrolls is a great theme for a MMO, so it makes sense. Not for me though, once I ran around a bit and saw a bunch of other stranger avatars running around it was over for me. The immersion was gone, and that's what I like about ES games.

Yeah, this is where I'm wondering if the game has changed quite a bit since it came out in 2014.

Just like Skyrim, there are a ton of NPCs all over the place and you interact with them just like you do in Skyrim. Many of the NPC have stories to tell me that lead to quests, just like Skyrim. There are vendors and crafting stations, just like Skyrim. Cities with castles in different parts of the world with different races, different cultures, different architecture, different topography and climate, etc. It's all just like Skyrim in that regard.

The quests will take me outside of town to caves/dungeons or bandit camps or Daedric Prince realms, etc., just like Skyrim and when you kill a baddie, they drop gear. Some of the quests are huge main storyline quests with huge production value, others are side quests for some NPC you meet on the side of the road, just like any RPG.

Just like Skyrim, you can craft better gear yourself, or gear will drop from fights. The difference is, yes, there are other players in the world with you. I personally think that's an improvement over Skyrim. The voice chat system works well on my PS4 with the headset. If you walk up to someone, you just start talking and they can hear you. You might have a quest that you are having problems finishing at your level and joining up with someone who has the same quest is very useful, and fun, in my humble opinion. I'm already in two guilds (you can be in 5) in this game and it's pretty awesome. Both guilds have a guild house (you can buy and furnish housing, like in Skyrim) and they have all the crafting stations and you can meet up to get a raid group, etc.

You have the choice to do a 4-man dungeon with matchmaking, or with your friends. They have dozens of dungeons in two difficulty levels - better gear at the higher difficulties. You can also do 12-man raids, which I haven't done yet because I'm not high enough level yet.

You also have PVP fights with the traditional game modes, and massive campaign PVP mode that is more extensive and has siege engines you use to fight and need to repair, etc.

But you don't have to do multiplayer. I've barely scratched the surface on the amount of solo content this has.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RSM-HQ

@scootersgaming:

OK, so it's pretty clear you haven't played ESO because it doesn't have crossbows and no class called "Caster".

Checkmate

Well aware what I play dood. Unlike yourself with terrible MH knowledge_

And caster is a build term, do you know what an RPG 'build' is?

Monster Hunter World doesn't have spell casting - period. You were criticizing a game you obviously haven't even played for only having spell/range/melee and I pointed out that MHW has one less from that list.

Already shown a link proving you wrong on an unfounded claim, you could at least know the game you are attempting to defend.

I'm going to gladly ignore the rest. You're continuing this for no good reason after a long pause anyway, and it's clear you're a Bethesda fanboi that can't judge a spin-off on its own merits, so resort to sarcasm and never keep the argument you started on subject; off branching it for random reasoning.

Please move along from my posts. You turned this into the argument that it spawned into, as couldn't accept my opinion on a shallow MMO trash-heap. That many think likewise. Little less needs to be stated.

As before, if you find any joy with the game, that is fine and have made that perfectly clear from the get-go. I judge games, not people who play them, unless they post stupid replies/

scootersgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By scootersgaming

@RSM-HQ said:

I recall having a crossbow ...

There is no crossbow in Elder Scrolls Online. You never had a crossbow, as you stated. Not sure what you mean by "checkmate".

Your link to the skill in the One-Handed and Shield Skills tree does not change the fact that there is no crossbow. You obviously don't know what the skills are. The list of weapons in ESO has no crossbow. Surprised you missed that when you were googling about ESO to make it seem like you have played it.

And, again, there is no fireball spell.

Please move along from my posts

You responded to my post, "dood". So all you have to do is not troll my posts anymore.

I mean, you said "quests and combat should be an Action RPGs main appeal" and then when I pointed out that a game you cited as being a game with a lot of depth doesn't even have quests, you then said "No one I've ever known calls quests depth". LOL. You can't even keep your BS straight.

And how am I a Bethesda fanboi in a thread I created telling people to stay away from this game on the Mac?

Londmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Londmen
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

indeed

abelsgmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By abelsgmx
Member since 2004 • 27 Posts

The game is bugged, they elease new content without a good testing process before be launched, they "fix" one thing and break others in that process. PVP have heavy lag issues (almost unplayable) and is full of one shoot exploiters since begin and they can't or don't want fix it. PVE end game force people to do exagerated DPS to be elegible for others in that content. Large race against Champion Points doing this a big breach betwen new and veteran players. I just quit tyred of this game after 3 years playing it.