Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-5cad308c20fc4
Member since 2018 • 51 Posts

Where does everyone stand on this matter

Why i dislike gamestop (read bolded duh)

https://www.svg.com/119581/shady-side-gamestop/

I feel as though they have to exist somehow somewhere

Not saying have them in every street corner (oversaturated like gamestop)

But have a couple locations every other street with quality service to match

DONT FORGET TO CHECK OUT PAST THREAD IF YOU HAVENT ALREADY

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/the-definitive-game-recommendation-thread-33453281/

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Don't feel like ordering all my console games, consoles and peripherals online. I also don't trust Sony and Nintendo with digital licenses. Stores are nice to have. I know what to look out for when I go to Gamestop.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#3 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I’ve gone pretty much all digital when it comes to gaming. But that’s just my choice.

Also, I don’t really like the idea of consoles especially being bought online. Mail carriers can be pretty rough with packages these days and if it’s not packed properly, then, trouble.

Back when I did buy physical copies of games, I was one of those guys who would know what I’m getting and just duck in and duck out of the store. I’ve never really been that type of person to stick around & look at games. Plus some of the store clerks want more of a sale out of you.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

Stores are fine here. Usually a better option over digital, we don't have Gamestop so that maybe the main factor.

Think it's a regional issue, I've seen most in the US here and on GFAQs argue "physical is dead". While in other parts of the world it's still the best for value, return, and overall long-lasting. Digital only games die hard deaths (Scott Pilgrim versus the World, P.T., etc)

Only times I will go digital is if it's mandatory or if requires outdated formats to go physical (like floppy disks).

Steam users for example only accept digital because it's the only option so let's no play the fool. Most sellers that even offer box copies come with a download code to store (I know this from my 'copy' of War for the Overworld). So pretending one has a choice, and not, isn't an actual choice.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Depends on the store. EB Games usally has pretty good sales. Department stores like Target and big W are great for new release as they are usually cheaper and they always have great clearance when either they want to get rid of it or the case is damaged.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I've bought nearly every console in a store. PS4 Pro and Vita I ordered online, but I got my 3DS at target and basically everything else from Walmart, etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@RSM-HQ said:

Steam users for example only accept digital because it's the only option so let's no play the fool. Most sellers that even offer box copies come with a download code to store (I know this from my 'copy' of War for the Overworld). So pretending one has a choice, and not, isn't an actual choice.

Yeah, it seems suspicious that EVERYONE on PC thinks physical is so awful. I would love it if Blu-ray drives were widely adopted on PC and devs sold DRM free discs. Owning my media is still more appealing to me than trusting one company with an online account attached to 300 games. It also means I don't have to slow our internet for thirty minutes and use up some of our 1 TB monthly bandwidth every time I'm installing a big game. And it means I can give it away, lend it or sell it if I don't like it. My film collection has monetary value. My Steam collection does not.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2133 Posts

@ezekiel43: It would be nice, sure, but you forget the day 1 game sized patches most games get these days.

As for physical video game stores, I have no stance on that, because my country never had those and I was buying pirated physical copies from a local market in the pre-Internet/Steam days.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RSM-HQ
@rmpumper said:

@ezekiel43: It would be nice, sure, but you forget the day 1 game sized patches most games get these days.

Difference is when one owns the physical copy you can put in and still play, with or without patches. Played many offline with zero patches while travelling and rarely had a bad experience. And usually only a case for bad products to begin with.

Could have been smoother sometimes, sure. Sometimes patches actually make games worse also. . But most games especially now just patch in the multiplayer modes or microstransaction stores. Bug fixes are in the norm immersion related like exploits, vanishing corpses, and clipping. Rarely gamebreaking.

Even a Bethesda published game (The Evil Within 2) I got 100% with no patches. The update added a Bethesda.net feature (lol)

Only shady companies like Activision make Gamers download the entire game from a physical copy.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

As someone who prefers to get their games on physical formats I like going to the physical stores to buy my games. I don’t particularly dislike GameStop but I just don’t really go there that much. My only real gripe with them is that sometimes the only copies of games that they have available are ones that they’ve opened up and that just rubs me the wrong way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@RSM-HQ said:
@rmpumper said:

Difference is when one owns the physical copy you can put in and still play, with or without patches. Played many offline with zero patches while travelling and rarely had a bad experience. And usually only a case for bad products to begin with.

Could have been smoother sometimes, sure. Sometimes patches actually make games worse also. . But most games especially now just patch in the multiplayer modes or microstransaction stores. Bug fixes are in the norm immersion related like exploits, vanishing corpses, and clipping. Rarely gamebreaking.

Even a Bethesda published game (The Evil Within 2) I got 100% with no patches. The update added a Bethesda.net feature (lol)

Only shady companies like Activision make Gamers download the entire game from a physical copy.

Besides, it should be really easy to put a link on the box with "Look for future updates here" written over it or to put a shortcut or self-checker on the disc. That way you can also choose if you want the update or not. I thought PC players liked choice. With Steam, you have to be up to date if the client is in online mode.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RSM-HQ
@ezekiel43 said:

Besides, it should be really easy to put a link on the box with "Look for future updates here" written over it or to put a shortcut or self-checker on the disc.

While a good idea I think it's self explanatory in this day and age. Especially younger gamers, they wouldn't know of an age with games without optional patches. Not against patches anyway, for the most part they add, or set to refine. Would not call the be-all-to-end-all-though

That way you can also choose if you want the update or not. I thought PC players liked choice. With Steam, you have to be up to date if the client is in online mode.

Haha, depends who you ask. The vocal minority have really taken that 'Master Race' meme too far (ironic considering the origin).

Just enjoy many mouse and keyboard games myself, depending on genre will always select P.C. Would love some physical games however, my poor disc drive is a glorified movie player. . And I don't watch many movies haha.

Lady_Aijou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lady_Aijou
Member since 2019 • 24 Posts

I definitely find it sad that there are fewer and fewer physical game stores. It feels like the end of an era, and I spent so much time at game stores when I was a kid. The feeling of having saved up for a new game, and then getting to go in and pick it out in person was just so much fun!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I miss this for PC the most I still buy physical copies for PS4. As great as Steam is I'm getting so damn sick of these launchers it's becoming to much I rather have a physical copy with a CD key code and no launcher. Remember how shit Games for Windows live was I would still take that over the Bethesda and Epic store launcher anyday.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I still prefer physical copies of console games so I normally shop at Gamestop for them. PC games, however, I'm fully fine with getting them off of Steam...

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I still like buying physical copies for some games, and I definitely prefer buying hardware from a store... I don't trust delivery people to handle it carefully.