Stadia may be bigger then we think.

#1 Posted by Ryno1179 (186 posts) -

Stadia may have a rocky start, with it being an all streaming service in a world with data caps and not everyone having an internet connection fast enough but Google knows this and I believe they are in it for the long run. Eventually data caps will go away with ISP competition and the speeds do keep increasing so those problems will not be around forever. Stadia may not come out on top next Gen. but it will be #1 overall in the coming years unless MS and Sony makes some changes.

Now most people ask who is Stadia aimed at?

The answer: Everybody.

As a hardcore gamer I felt that the Stadia was not for me. I asked myself why would I buy a game on Stadia when I know I am going to buy a PS5 next Gen.? Then I had a discussion with my cousin who loves to game but doesn't really have a loyal following to any game franchises or consoles and he is stoked for the Stadia. So I was very curious as to why, and what he said makes a lot of sense.

1.Stadia will not have any kind of hardware restrictions that a console or even a PC could have so developers are very free to develop what they want.

2. It's free for everybody unless you want to stream in 4k but 1080p has no subscription fees.

3. Everybody already has Stadia for free, and as long as you have Chrome browser you have Stadia.

4. Instant games, no longer do you have to wait for your game to download and install. Now sure the games you buy are only streaming but as the future goes digital you will no longer own physical anyway.

5. No hardware, means no worries about malfunctions, theft or loss. Stadia is where you are.

So after hearing this I thought to myself, the only real reason I'm buying a PS5 is for the Sony exclusives that I love. How many people really don't care enough about game franchise to warrant them spending $500 (Guessing) on a next Gen. console? Maybe enough for next Gen. but things change very fast in this industry and Google will be securing exclusives themselves as well. Stadia may be bigger then everybody thinks.

#2 Edited by RSM-HQ (8604 posts) -

@ryno1179: Nah I don't see it, on its best day seems as relevant to gaming as 3d televisions or a kinnect. Both of which I predicted to crumble.

Cool on paper, and how you describe it. Yet, that's PR nonsense really, the word free gets thrown around a lot doesn't it. Same with PSPlus/Switch Online/ Pass Ultimate (best of all these deals). Free to those who cannot count. It's not free, Stadia you are paying each game through a service, games you simply do not own buy/ yet pay for anyway.

What do I mean by this? Let's fortuitously suggest one day Google decide this Stadia thing isn't making enough profit and plugs-out. Which Google is already notorious for

Well all that money you spent on games can no longer be accessed, thanks for the money sucker!

Why, because you never bought a game to begin with. You paid to use a service model for as long as it had warrant-of-use. So while some may see it as a cheaper investment, the doubters foresee burning money. Just like buying Hearthstone packs.

And that's not even bringing up quality control, they have not proven anything in the quality they tell the public (the controller is also abysmal).

Telling us "it's all fine"; is as reliable as Todd Howards "it just works" for Fallout 76

Has history really taught the gaming industry nothing?

#3 Posted by npiet1 (2519 posts) -

So from what I hear (so could be completely wrong) you still have to pay for the games, it's not just a monthly fee.

#4 Posted by RSM-HQ (8604 posts) -

@npiet1: Here you go-

Google Stadia will require users to purchase games to use over the service, though it does also plan to offer a library of free games over time for Pro tier subscribers, as well as offering the first two years of Destiny 2 content for free for those that purchased the Founder's Pack. At the time of the platforms full reveal in June 2019, Google announced Gylt by Tequila Works and Get Packed by Moonshine Studios would be exclusive to Stadia.

#5 Posted by Speeny (1968 posts) -

I'm not interested in it & expect it to not do all that well. I could be totally wrong though.

#6 Posted by SaltSlasher (1313 posts) -

I like the ideal of owning 1 copy and playing it everywhere, but Xbox already done that for me, between Xbox and PC is good enough, but gonna have the cloud as well.

I don't want to uproot away from my gamerscore or trophies. I already like what Xbox/PC offers with play between the two, and I'm on second tour of PS Now, so rather wait for them to invest than bother with a cloud store.

Personally I think Xbox has the best setup, where you could buy a digital game, and get a downloadable copy on Xbox and PC, or could just play completely on cloud with it, or all 3. I think that is neat, but the PS Now Netflix style, with download options just makes more sense, except they no longer have a handheld nor one with PS Now on it.

#7 Posted by npiet1 (2519 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: Thanks, makes it a little better I guess.

I don't think it's going to be successful. Gamepass is going to be the main one, since day 1 downloads for Xbox games and they won't get the Sony games. It's just going to be multiplats but between MS and Sony, it's covered. So why go the third option?

#8 Posted by Archangel3371 (28539 posts) -

I’m pretty skeptical of it myself. Google seems to have a habit of dropping things quickly when they don’t take off right away.

Personally I just much rather have the hardware to play the games locally along with my games on a physical format so I can pay once and play my games whenever I choose without the need of maintaining a subscription service or worrying about having access to the internet to play games. Streaming services just give me way too little control of the product to the point where I just don’t feel comfortable about it.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#9 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (21592 posts) -

Stadia and all of the streaming services are targeted at people who really used to love videogames, but don't really play them all that much anymore. As such they won't be as bothered by the inevitable input lag as gamers who play hours every day and are accustomed to zero input lag beyond what the TV or monitor generates.

That's the technical side of things, then there is the business side: with a streaming service you are effectively renting access to games that may or may not be available the next time you log in. We see this with Netflix: you log in expecting to watch a movie only to find it's gone and not likely to be coming back (here's a video that exemplifies that "I know this movie used to be there" effect) and it's going to be the same with games because similar legal hurdles with rights and licensing apply there.

Game streaming is convenient on paper, but it's a monthly subscription plus paying full price for access to games you do not own in any way, and I don't see gamers as likely to be suckered into that kind of deal, especially if they are the sort of people who like to go back and play older games.

#10 Posted by DaVillain- (38062 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

@RSM-HQ: Thanks, makes it a little better I guess.

I don't think it's going to be successful. Gamepass is going to be the main one, since day 1 downloads for Xbox games and they won't get the Sony games. It's just going to be multiplats but between MS and Sony, it's covered. So why go the third option?

While it's true I do sub to Game Pass & EA Origin Premier (and I won't pay full price for any EA games anymore) I find them to be very helpful in ways but for Stadia, I don't like the idea of streaming games like that. Digital gaming has been so much easier for me personally and don't even regret it but streaming isn't one of them.

#11 Posted by npiet1 (2519 posts) -

@davillain-: Yeah that's my biggest issue too. I like game pass because I download them.

#12 Posted by RSM-HQ (8604 posts) -

@davillain-: From my knowledge many EA games are designed around an online multiplayer service so really the content dies when they pull the server. Seems that's a rare example of the subscription model working with the content it's providing. People play those Soccer games, BattleField will see them as a benefit.

But when this new Stadia game dies with the service forever, and was a single player game. Cannot help but think that's sad. As many know the Ducktales game which featured Alan Youngs last known voice work was pulled very recently. Scott Pilgrim and P.T. are still also glowing examples.

#13 Posted by DaVillain- (38062 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: I mainly play just single player games if it happens to be an EA game and I rarely if ever play MP games and I don't like pure Sport games either, they bored me to death lol.

#14 Posted by RSM-HQ (8604 posts) -
@davillain- said:

@RSM-HQ: I mainly play just single player games if it happens to be an EA game and I rarely if ever play MP games and I don't like pure Sport games either, they bored me to death lol.

Oh no I hear soccer fans in the distance. . .

#15 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5199 posts) -

@ryno1179:

Nope. Still don't see it. I like my games being owned and downloaded. I don't want to have to rely on the Internet in order to play it, period. I don't care how fast the connection speed is.

#16 Posted by UmameNinja (29 posts) -

Again I repeat that without the infrastructure there is no market much less even a future for game streaming. Shield is dead in the water, and Ouya scrapped past launch only to die within a matter of months. I wager this will be no different even if it is from Google.

#17 Posted by VFighter (5239 posts) -

@ryno1179: Bwahahaha, thanks for the laugh. Stadias already dead, but your post was kinda cute.

#18 Posted by DaVillain- (38062 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@ryno1179: Bwahahaha, thanks for the laugh. Stadias already dead, but your post was kinda cute.

Let's not party just yet. I give Stadia a 1 year later and see how it fairs at the very least. I for one don't expect Stadia to be that successful but at the same time, I seen few gamers here in GS are taking an interest and if they have good Wi-Fi support that is.

We all know Streaming games will be coming in the distance future for good. It's not a "if" but when? (And when that day comes, I'll be gaming just on PC forever should physical consoles go extinct)

#19 Posted by Kadin_Kai (540 posts) -

@ryno1179: I believe you are right. I think Google will take a sizeable chunk of the gaming market eventually.

I have (in theory) 1gbs internet connection so I think Stadia will work seamlessly for me. I am looking forward to it.

#20 Posted by robert_sparkes (3313 posts) -

Google are capable of taking some of the market depending on how serious they take gaming. They are in a better position than apple.

#21 Posted by dzimm (5563 posts) -

@ryno1179: Nice bullet points. Did you copy them directly from the marketing literature?

#22 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2517 posts) -

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ryno1179:

Nope. Still don't see it. I like my games being owned and downloaded. I don't want to have to rely on the Internet in order to play it, period. I don't care how fast the connection speed is.

This. Call me old fashioned or whatever but I can't get behind this. I'd never buy a Stadia or stream any game. period. I prefer a console with physical copies of my games. I need something tangible, not some temporary license that reminds me that I don't own the game smh

#23 Edited by RSM-HQ (8604 posts) -

@davillain- said:

We all know Streaming games will be coming in the distance future for good.

People said the same for motion controls and 3D televisions. Many also stated in 2006 Mobile gaming would kill the console/ P.C. market. And look how wrong they turned out_

I think streaming will improve, but at best will be a niche product for a different demographic. Cannot be exploited like television. Inputs matter, and globally is way out of reach.

Those on television services Hulu, Netflix and ForJoyTV don't care for quality. They'd settle for choppy frames and 360p. Now imagine that for gaming, something that has to be playable, and even multiplayer.

Oh that's PSNow, and it's garbage.

On it's best day Stadia will be twice as good, which is still playing Skyrim on a PS3.

#24 Posted by DaVillain- (38062 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:
@davillain- said:

We all know Streaming games will be coming in the distance future for good.

People said the same for motion controls and 3D televisions. Many also stated in 2006 Mobile gaming would kill the console/ P.C. market. And look how wrong they turned out_

I think streaming will improve, but at best will be a niche product for a different demographic. Cannot be exploited like television. Inputs matter, and globally is way out of reach.

Those on television services Hulu, Netflix and ForJoyTV don't care for quality. They'd settle for choppy frames and 360p. Now imagine that for gaming, something that has to be playable, and even multiplayer.

Oh that's PSNow, and it's garbage.

On it's best day Stadia will be twice as good, which is still playing Skyrim on a PS3.

I was suggestion something becoming an actual thing in the next century or something like that. Mobile however, it's showing it's domination but not that crazy taking over anytime soon. Trust me, I'm not even looking forward to dystopia gaming world for streaming only. I think we all know the world isn't even ready for streaming so it's something I'm not worry about, we'll still have physical games for years to come.

#25 Posted by VFighter (5239 posts) -

@davillain-: Legit streaming isnt happening in our lifetime, its not going to take over. Its no different then 3d, motion controlls, the Sega channel, etc. Nobody is asking for this, nobody wants this, and luckly for us money talks more then marketing idiots and out of touch business men.

#26 Posted by SBan83 (41 posts) -

Stadia's biggest red flag is they're charging full price for the games instead of a Netflix-style subscription service. If someone is too cheap to pay $300-$400 for a console, I don't see them paying $60 for a game they can only play when online.

#27 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44379 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

@davillain-: Yeah that's my biggest issue too. I like game pass because I download them.

same

streaming has absolutely zero appeal for me.

It works for movies because you can watch a movie in two hours, watch one movie per day, so you don't end up spending 400 dollars per month watching movies.

But for games it doesn't make sense, from a customer standpoint. Seems a bit like a "because we can" sort of attempt.

#28 Edited by RSM-HQ (8604 posts) -

@davillain-: Personally not sure why you think that. At that point we're more likely to go a different path in gaming. Too many problematic variables for streaming. Benefits don't outweigh the negatives.

@vfighter has a very good point, ask around. Personally I know no one who's asking for a streaming service in gaming. PR always state somethings "it's the future" that doesn't mean it's true. It's a marketing strategy to manipulate customers who don't know any better. And frankly they've done it for many crappy products.

I'm sure if TC ever comes back (stop and drop users are the worst) to the thread may use PSNow as a shining example people want it. Because they slotted how many have used it. Well I've used it, twice. PSNow has a free-use period. And I'm sure that's where all the numbers are coming from.

If you ask me Sony should slot-estimate how much they've made off the service in yen or dollar. Or at least how many hours at average the service is used. Because I reckon the figure is very low.

*Also shout-out. Thanks for cleaning up Necro and Bot threads. Much appreciated!