Square-Enix: The loser of E3 2018

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Lembu90 (601 posts) -

I mean no brand-new titles announced directly. No gameplay footage of Final Fantasy XIV x Monster Hunter crossover. Kingdom Hearts 3 were delayed to late January 2019. Final Fantasy VII Remake and Avengers are mysteriously absent in the event. Left Alive also absent as well but nobody wants to see a generic battle royale game with Front Mission skin. Some people speculated those games may have been delayed if not cancelled outright. This also saddened FFVII fans as they waiting for more than 3 years as it was publicly announced in E3 2015. As for Avengers game, I suspect it be a FFXV clone with Marvel skin.

On the bright side, at least no more DLCs planned for FFXV. Last year it caught everyone off-guard as SE announced 4 more DLCs planned for 2017-2018 release, with another 4 released in 2016-2017. The release date for the English version Dragon Quest XI also published, making it the only SE's major release in this year to have a confirmed release date.

#2 Posted by RSM-HQ (8610 posts) -

I think some people are forgetting EA.

#3 Posted by Lembu90 (601 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:

I think some people are forgetting EA.

Honestly I think EA wasn't that bad in comparison to Square-Enix in this year's E3 event. The promise of no loot boxes in Anthem is a major plus from me. Yes EA sucks but at least it had better press conference than SE, albeit not by much.

#4 Posted by omegaMaster (1322 posts) -

Not surprised. Only thing Square-Enix can make headlines are KH3 and FFVII because none of the other games showcased at E3 are blockbuster titles anyway.

Looking forward to KH3 and Dragon Quest XI :D

#5 Edited by RSM-HQ (8610 posts) -

@lembu90: Disagree. Difference is Gamers expect more from Square-Enix. New games- is Nier 3 in development?, Final Fantasy Remake. . List could go-on.

EA, no one expects much from them. As a quality standpoint, not in 2018. Anthem not having lootboxes doesn't make them better, it's just a reminder how greedy they actually are. And should make Bioware fans question how they'll suck the money from your pocket anyway. Bioware attempts to market Anthem like it's MH, and we know it's not going to turn out that way. From both a quality standpoint or content-wise. It screams Evolve all over again.

Lastly let's not act like they didn't spend a lot of the conference resurrecting/ butchering another P.C. franchise gone mobile_

#6 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2522 posts) -

Still my favorite developer. Once Kingdom Hearts 3, Dragon Quest XI, Avengers, and FFVII: Remake drop everyone proceeds to jump right on the bandwagon, though lol

#7 Posted by RSM-HQ (8610 posts) -
@valgaav_219 said:

Still my favorite developer. Once Kingdom Hearts 3, Dragon Quest XI, Avengers, and FFVII: Remake drop everyone proceeds to jump right on the bandwagon, though lol

I've found Capcom to be treated in a similar vain around here.

They hate a developer, till they don't. Some 'fans' can be so hypocritical.

#8 Posted by Lembu90 (601 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: I know this is a very subjective matter but I still think Square-Enix is the biggest letdown in E3 2018. Electronic Arts have been a soulless corporation with underwhelming presentations in every gaming conventions, not just E3. In other words nobody expect anything "good" from them. Of course they hits the new low with the mobile-only Command & Conquer bastardization, which looks like another countless crappy "strategy" games on smartphones.

I hate to use metaphor here but I think EA is a bad student who got F in almost every exams and I never expect anything better from him or her. SE in other hand is a newly-transferred student who had better academic achievements than EA but in the end, both got F in the exam. While it's true that EA performed worse than SE in comparison but SE disappoints me more than EA.

Absence of FFVII Remake and Avengers, no gameplay footage of their brand-new IP, Babylon's Fall, Kingdom Hearts 3 got delayed yet again, unimpressive gameplay footage of Tomb Raider. They only good thing about SE press conference is Dragon Quest XI (English) release date, which only months away.

So the comparison between EA and SE is battle of perceptions than anything else. I personally "crowned" SE as the loser of E3 2018 for disappoints me more, not by technical reasons or some sort.

#9 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2522 posts) -

@lembu90: Do you know how many millions of people are happy af right now just to have a concrete Kingdom Hearts 3 release date? The wait is almost over and come 1/29/2019 they will be the JRPG developers to beat similar to Atlus when they released Persona 5. Watch and wait. There is no way in hell Tetsuya Nomure is screwing this one up lol

#10 Edited by RSM-HQ (8610 posts) -

@lembu90: Not exactly going to give Square Enix a reward for effort as it was lacking sure. But when I look at them, they at least showed a Platinum game, and advertised what I believe they had able to show from other titles. Titles people are excited for. Dragon Quest XI isn't a big deal for me because we've had it over here for awhile. So that's not a game I'm giving credit.

Nintendo wasn't much better, they had Smash Ult and. . . That's it. If one judges out of expectations I would put Square and Nintendo in the same room.

EA however, even if they are already deemed as the runt of gaming industry. Doesn't mean we act like they have a get-out-of-jail-free-card.

#11 Edited by Lembu90 (601 posts) -

@valgaav_219 said:

@lembu90: Do you know how many millions of people are happy af right now just to have a concrete Kingdom Hearts 3 release date? The wait is almost over and come 1/29/2019 they will be the JRPG developers to beat similar to Atlus when they released Persona 5. Watch and wait. There is no way in hell Tetsuya Nomure is screwing this one up lol

I believe the real reason SE pushed back KH3 is to give more space for Dragon Quest XI as well as FFXV DLCs. While I'm quite happy that the English version DQ XI finaly got a release date but I'm also worried that DQ XI not going to perform well in the West, sales-wise. In Japan DQ XI outsold both Persona 5 and FFXV but the same can't be said to the West. DQ IX flopped in the West because it was released in the dying days of Nintendo DS. DQ X was an MMO. Lack of additional promotion meaning SE don't put much hope DQ XI in the Western market and in fact its action-based spinoffs like Heroes and Builders are promoted in the West better than its turn-based counterpart.

Honestly I'm not particularly impressed with KH 3. Expect tons of updates and DLCs like FFXV.

#12 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2522 posts) -

@lembu90: If that's the case I'll pass. If they ever pull another FFXV and release another unfinished project I will not support it. FFXV was kind of fun but story and contentwise it was a hot mess lol

#13 Edited by warmblur (3023 posts) -

Square are losers long before E3 they cancelled Sleeping Dogs 2.

#14 Posted by johnd13 (9789 posts) -
@warmblur said:

Square are losers long before E3 they cancelled Sleeping Dogs 2.

And put the Deus Ex franchise on hiatus. Shame on them!

Avatar image for bigalchubbs4444
#15 Posted by BigAlChubbs4444 (7 posts) -

Agree - not enough info on final fantasy xv

#16 Posted by npiet1 (2527 posts) -

square had kh3 and TR, EA only had anthem unless the announce you can also be first person im not intrested.

#17 Posted by mandzilla (4194 posts) -

Are you people forgetting that EA practically showed a full mobile game match live with commentary, effectively shitting on the C&C franchise's corpse?

#20 Posted by gulpaloyn (7 posts) -

I hate Square Enix for not showing the new Final Fantasy and Avengers game.