Spore reviews coming in: 'Delivers a myriad of delights' - GameSpot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Rundown of reviews:

"Taken on their own, its pieces are nothing special. As parts of a singular ambitious vision, they work far better. Throw in the best customization tools seen in years and an enthusiastic community brimming with creativity, and you have a legitimately great game that will deliver hours of quality entertainment." - GameSpot

"Spore's triumph is painfully ironic. By setting out to instill a sense of wonderment at creation and the majesty of the universe, it's shown us that it's actually a lot more interesting to sit here at our computers and explore the contents of each other's brains. " - PC Gamer

"It may not be a perfect game, but truly innovative titles seldom are. Spore is a technological triumph that introduces a whole new way of tapping into a bottomless well of content." - GameSpy

"We're all familiar with the innovative, web-aware customisation cloud that underpins Spore, but nobody's done it better (even though many now do it - apparently years after Maxis thought of doing it here) and the final game is proof that it was all worth it: you're all one big Designer, and Spore succeeds as much because of you and me as the many worlds scattered across the stars and the many ways we've been given to explore them." - Eurogamer

"While Spore is an amazing product, it's just not quite an amazing game. I can't help but feel that Spore is ambitious and memorable, but I also admit that, save for the cool Space Stage, there's not a lot of depth here. Rookie gamers are going to feel at home here, but veteran gamers may feel like they need more." - IGN

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Pretty much what I expected. I'm going to create terrifying monsters and take delight in knowing they will populate other people's games.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Interesting. I have CVG blocked at work, but given the sheer scope of the concept of this game, I think it is remarkable that Maxis managed to fulfill almost every expectation.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Pretty much what I expected. I'm going to create terrifying monsters and take delight in knowing they will populate other people's games.inoperativeRS
Noes!
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
Its a good score, PC gamer tends to be rather harsh in their reviews, and its nice to hear that Spore fuffiled virtually all of their promises.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I def wanna play it
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts
I probably won't get around to playing it, but I have to say the concept was pretty neat.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
Well much like GS, PC Gamer tends to be be pretty strict with its reviews and scoring system so I'll definitely take their word for it.
jtemplegarage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jtemplegarage
Member since 2008 • 266 Posts
Totally sounds like fun - and kind of like a griefer's dream. "My beasts will devour your earth - muwahahaha!"
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I've spent all the money I can spend on games this month, but this game looks great. I know I will get it eventually. For now I guess I will just have to make due with Crysis and Oblivion.:P
litewo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 litewo
Member since 2005 • 333 Posts

"Spore falls a little short of its promise at every stage"

I wouldn't say "flop" but that's disappointing. I'm waiting to see what they do with the Wii version,

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i want to play this game. i just ogt my computer fixed and i played thecreature creator for like 10min that was fun. i can't wait for this game to come out so i can download it. it will be great to see mods for this game.
Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts

IGN AU have their review up, and it's a 9.2

Reading through it at the moment:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/907/907287p1.html

EDIT: Linkified...

al-128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 al-128
Member since 2005 • 304 Posts
I would get it, but 3 installs is dumb, especially considering it's done nothing to subside piracy of the game. I'll see how I feel on Friday :P
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Im glad I cancelled my Mercenaries 2 order so I could get this instead :)
F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
"simple" is not a word I would like to hear describe this game tbh. I haven't been following it but I did watch that Robin Williams demonstration which peaked my interest so i hope the depth is enough to satisfy but I guess im cautiously optimistic for now.
F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

Ok, so Gamespot has their review up.

Its a little disappointing to see an 8.0 for a game as highly anticipated as this, I just assumed it was going to be this revolutionary game of epic proportion or something. Has the game changed throughout production or was it always this "simple"?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Ok, so Gamespot has their review up.

Its a little disappointing to see an 8.0 for a game as highly anticipated as this, I just assumed it was going to be this revolutionary game of epic proportion or something. Has the game changed throughout production or was it always this "simple"?

F1Lengend

It is interesting to see a game not live up to the hype. I think we get used to being able to predict how games will turn out. I am sure that Spore is great, but from following it over the years it seemed like the sort of game that would be an inevitable GOTY candidate. I think this goes a long way towards shutting people up who assume that reviewers simply score games according to the hype they have going before they come out. I do plan on picking this game up at some point soon, so the lower than expected scores from GS and a few other sites certainly haven't deterred me, I just think it is interesting now that Spore is here. For years we heard about how revolutionary and incredible it would be, and the reality is that it is just another high quality game.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
I would get it, but 3 installs is dumb, especially considering it's done nothing to subside piracy of the game. I'll see how I feel on Friday :Pal-128

3 installs? What's that all about? :?
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UpInFlames

From reading the reviews, Spore delivered what it always promised to deliver. And I don't see how you could call this game anything else but revolutionary whether you like it or not. Spore manages to combine several gameplay elements across multiple genres in an accessible cohesive way, its scope is incredible and it ushers a new way for user-created content in single-player games. Can't really recall any other game coming even close to that.

Spore always promised scope, not depth. Will Wright said back in 2005 that making Spore as simple and accessible to people will be the biggest challenge in its development. This is Will Wright we're talking about, The Sims didn't sell 100+ million copies because of its gameplay depth. Pretty much all of Wright's games have been simple and accessible, that's the very key to their success - along with being unique, inventive and terribly addictive, naturally.

Saying that Spore's different elements aren't very remarkable on their own is completely missing the point, in my opinion. It's like when people say silly stuff like there's better shooting and better driving than the ones offered in Grand Theft Auto. The point is Grand Theft Auto doesn't offer just shooting, it doesn't offer just driving, it offers all of that combined in a single experience.

I've been watching a few gameplay videos KevinV posted up and I'm a lot more excited about this game than a couple of weeks ago. I also think reviews have been rather spot on. But reviews can't predict the future. With Spore's unprecedented emphasis on user-created content, who knows what this game is going to evolve into?

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 UpInFlames

3 installs? What's that all about? :?Teufelhuhn

Beginning with Mass Effect, EA implemented SecuROM anti-piracy servers automatically checking your hardware. Basically, you can install Spore on 3 different machines. It will also use up an activation every time you change a "major" hardware part. After 3 activations, you will have to contact EA and show some proof of purchase. It's pathetic especially since I hear Spore has been pirated for a week now.

al-128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 al-128
Member since 2005 • 304 Posts

[QUOTE="al-128"]I would get it, but 3 installs is dumb, especially considering it's done nothing to subside piracy of the game. I'll see how I feel on Friday :PTeufelhuhn

3 installs? What's that all about? :?

You can only install Spore 3 times, and have to contact EA to get more (though I don't think theyh vae to give you any more). If you buy Spore, don't upgrade certain hardware, get certain drivers, bother with mods (in case you screw up your game), and many other tasks until you're done with the game ;)

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]3 installs? What's that all about? :?UpInFlames

Beginning with Mass Effect, EA implemented SecuROM anti-piracy servers automatically checking your hardware. Basically, you can install Spore on 3 different machines. It will also use up an activation every time you change a "major" hardware part. After 3 activations, you will have to contact EA and show some proof of purchase. It's pathetic especially since I hear Spore has been pirated for a week now.

Ridiculous.

Sometimes I feel like PC developers don't want me to buy their games. Or maybe they want me to buy them, and not be able to play them.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

If I was going to play a PC game, this is one I'd definitely play. I always thought The Sims was way too scurried and hectic to actually be very enjoyable, but I've always liked the sound of Spore.

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts

The reviews don't scream landmark game to me but it still sounds like a fun, innovative title with some awesome community features. Good enough for me, I'll be picking this baby up on launch day.

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]3 installs? What's that all about? :?UpInFlames

Well, at least it's better than Starforce. :?
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Im probably gonna get absolutley lambasted for my opinion but I have a bad feeling and some concerns about Spore. It just sounds like its trying to do too much without offering much depth to any one aspect. Im gonna carefully read reviews and impressions but im just not convinced it will deliver yet.