Sony should overclock GPU by 25-30%

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts
Of course now with the recently overclocked CPU and GPU of the Xbox One we now have a more competitive console war. It's an improvement and I respect Microsoft for doing something to the performance in order to close the gap. If they drop the Kinect as being included I think we would have a very interesting generation of consoles. Of course what I would like to see and wouldn't be surprised if I did is the PS4 GPU to be overclocked. Now if it happens it will be known at the very last minute. It's possible it may already have happened and we don't have the sources to find out. I would like to see Sony do something to keep the gap open. I know cooling could be an issue but I wouldn't mind a little more heat and enhanced performance. It would be nice to see some better frame rates in Driveclub. In all honesty I will still purchase Xbox One but I would like to see more exclusives for both consoles. Maybe eventually Microsoft will drop that DVR contraption inside the box and make a smaller box. :)
Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

You should also remember that Xbox hardware is likely to burn down your house and that overclocking drastically increases the risk of a system overheating.

If graphics are that important to you just get a PC. Also, get a PC for the best library, community prices, and so that you can play on an open platform.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Bad idea
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

There's no need.

The GPU is still better than the Xboner one and it will have "asychronous compute" to help CPU.

Drive Club's framerate is the developer's decision.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RimacBugatti
Yeah heat for sure is a problem. I built a PC last year but the one problem I have is being able to find the hard copies of the games. My PC is running a GTX 690 so it's decent. I have heard of the specs of the PS4 but I am not familiar with it's GPU or performance. After seeing Killzone Shadowfall I know PS4 has some power. If PS4 can render 1080p at 60fps then that's fantastic. Perhaps they will produce in the future a performance upgrade device that we can incorporate into the system that will give us higher resolutions.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
You can't just overclock for the sake of overclocking. You have to keep in mind power consumption and heat (which is probably the biggest issue for a console). The more the hardware is working, the more juice it needs and the more heat is creates. Since the cooling solutions for consoles are lackluster at best (usually one small fan blowing out the back), they probably don't have a lot of room to work with.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

The GPU is supposedly based on the same PC models that ususally have a 1000 Mhz clock speed. They purposely downclocked it to 800 mhz for whatever reason. Same goes for the 1.6 Ghz CPU speed. It's usually 2 Ghz but they brought it down to 1.6Ghz. 

The PS4 apparently only uses around 100W which is nearly half as much as what the PS3 used. It's also smaller than the PS3. They obviously chose that speed after a lot of testing. As much as I'd like to see them upgrade it, it's highly unlikely. 

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

you do know the downsides of overclocking? more heat generation and shorter life cycles.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RimacBugatti
I guess putting into consideration the power consumption for performance it's insanely powerful. Yeah probably not likely since Sony wants a reliable system. Oh well I guess we will just have to rely on the developers in hoping that they optimize the games as much as they can. But considering Killzone Shadowfall is a launch title I think that's proof that this gen will be awesome. Although with the consoles not being up to date per say I mean as far as some individuals standards I doubt this gen will last more than 4 years. And to be honest I don't want to wait longer than that for next gen. I am really excited for launch. Probably as excited if not more than when Dreamcast launched. I love my PC but it does crash from time to time so that's why sometimes I prefer consoles. I would like to see Nintendo ditch the Wii U and produce a console that gives Microsoft and Sony some competition. :)
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
Of course now with the recently overclocked CPU and GPU of the Xbox One we now have a more competitive console war. It's an improvement and I respect Microsoft for doing something to the performance in order to close the gap. If they drop the Kinect as being included I think we would have a very interesting generation of consoles. Of course what I would like to see and wouldn't be surprised if I did is the PS4 GPU to be overclocked. Now if it happens it will be known at the very last minute. It's possible it may already have happened and we don't have the sources to find out. I would like to see Sony do something to keep the gap open. I know cooling could be an issue but I wouldn't mind a little more heat and enhanced performance. It would be nice to see some better frame rates in Driveclub. In all honesty I will still purchase Xbox One but I would like to see more exclusives for both consoles. Maybe eventually Microsoft will drop that DVR contraption inside the box and make a smaller box. :) RimacBugatti
1 Ghz 7870 GE would require ~175 watts.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

There's no need.

The GPU is still better than the Xboner one and it will have "asychronous compute" to help CPU.

nameless12345
All GCNs supports asynchronous compute.
RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RimacBugatti
Yeah your right about the overclocking as far as life expectancy. Although they did downclock the CPU so it should actually run really cool I would imagine. Well maybe once we get our hands on the console we can figure out a way to overclock the GPU and or CPU. I would like to try to figure out how to water cool the PS4 if it's not already water cooled. It will be interesting to finally get to open one of these consoles up to see what Sony was able to come up with.
RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RimacBugatti
What is asynchronous compute?
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Dunno, the PS4 is pretty small size-wise and I'm sure would not take well to extra heat. With more power than the One packed in something almost half the size, plus power supply, it better have some magical cooling going on. That or it will be as loud as the various iterations of the PS3 when they hit max fan speed. I really hope that isn't the case, but given how small the PS4 is something will have to push air out.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 S0lidSnake

Dunno, the PS4 is pretty small size-wise and I'm sure would not take well to extra heat. With more power than the One packed in something almost half the size, plus power supply, it better have some magical cooling going on. That or it will be as loud as the various iterations of the PS3 when they hit max fan speed. I really hope that isn't the case, but given how small the PS4 is something will have to push air out.DJ_Lae

Yup and unlike the Xbone, the PS4 power brick is in the box. 

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RimacBugatti
Well if they used a fan in scale with the console we are screwed as far as noise. When I built my computer I couldn't believe how loud the smaller fans were in comparison. I wonder if it's possible that Sony used dual fans this time. I would think that an intake fan would be more important than an exhaust fan. But intake and exhaust would be the best set up. I wish Sony would have made it standard with a SSD. That would have helped with noise and temperatures.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

You should also remember that Xbox hardware is likely to burn down your house and that overclocking drastically increases the risk of a system overheating.

If graphics are that important to you just get a PC. Also, get a PC for the best library, community prices, and so that you can play on an open platform.

Big_Red_Button
This plus the first post are hilarious. After the RROD disaster MS made sure that would never happen again. They already said you could run the console for 10 years without it breaking down. They took the overheating issue s seriously that they underclocked the Xbox One and only recently increased it just to make sure it could handle the heat and strain. To the OP, stop saying the PS4 is more powerful like it's a fact. It isn't. And even though it doesn't mean much, the Xbox One now has a higher clock speed than the PS4.
Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

[QUOTE="Big_Red_Button"]

firefox59

This plus the first post are hilarious. After the RROD disaster MS made sure that would never happen again. They already said you could run the console for 10 years without it breaking down. They took the overheating issue s seriously that they underclocked the Xbox One and only recently increased it just to make sure it could handle the heat and strain. To the OP, stop saying the PS4 is more powerful like it's a fact. It isn't. And even though it doesn't mean much, the Xbox One now has a higher clock speed than the PS4.

On paper the PS4 is faster than the Xbox One. That is a fact, based on the internal specs of the console. Now what we do not know are the final clock speeds of the CPU on the PS4. As recent as Gamescom, Sony was still showcasing PC bssed units under a PS4 shell. So perhaps they too are in the final stages prior to full production.  Oddly enough, unless I missed this, has Sony announced that they are indeed in full production?

Whatever the case may be, it is a fact that the PS4 is a bit more powerful. However, from what I have been reading it is not vastly more powerful as some people make it out to be. Where its edge in power may come into play, is on the graphics sides of things. But it is way too early to tell if we will visually notice a difference at all. That part is really left up to the developers to figure out. 

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RimacBugatti
Being that Sony is hush hush I think they may be up to something so lets not be surprised if we find out that they overclocked the GPU and or CPU. And as far as production we havent heard anything. I doubt they are in full production as of yet.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

A 25-30% clock increase would probably have a non-trivial effect on the heat and power-consumption of a GPU, and consoles have to be carefully designed around those two things. Also an increase in core clockspeed on a GPU would likely require a corresponding increase in memory bandwidth for it to be really effective, unless the GPU was designed to be light on resources relative to the bandwidth.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="Big_Red_Button"]

Areez

On paper the PS4 is faster than the Xbox One. That is a fact, based on the internal specs of the console. Now what we do not know are the final clock speeds of the CPU on the PS4. As recent as Gamescom, Sony was still showcasing PC bssed units under a PS4 shell. So perhaps they too are in the final stages prior to full production.  Oddly enough, unless I missed this, has Sony announced that they are indeed in full production?

Whatever the case may be, it is a fact that the PS4 is a bit more powerful. However, from what I have been reading it is not vastly more powerful as some people make it out to be. Where its edge in power may come into play, is on the graphics sides of things. But it is way too early to tell if we will visually notice a difference at all. That part is really left up to the developers to figure out. 

I'm not trying to argue here, but the only thing the PS4 had over the Xbox One in terms of paper numbers was the DDR5 vs DDR3. But people still don't understand the differing architecture between the two consoles. The Xbox One has potentially greater bandwidth, on paper, than the PS4 with the ESRAM on the GPU die. Both consoles are basically the same but since MS did such a crap job of explaining their system everyone thinks the PS4 is superior because 5 > 3.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

There's no need.

ronvalencia

and xbox one gpu isnt gcn so what the point of this comment?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

In addition to its last minute tune ups, the Xbone has DA INFINITE POWER OF THE CLOUD. No way even a 30% overclock could match that.

Seriously, I think its scary for companies to screw around with hardware this late in the game. I place a high value on my hardware lasting because I hate having to argue with HW companies or get rid of systems mid-generation. I refuse to pay for a HW's company's incompetence if a system breaks down in less than 5 years and given the amount of games I buy, if a hardware company refuses to stand behind their product, they are costing themselves money and saving me money.

Judging by the launch window games like Killzone and Infamous, the PS4's hardware is fine.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#24 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

There's no need.

Krelian-co

and xbox one gpu isnt gcn so what the point of this comment?

Yes, it is.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 S0lidSnake

I'm not trying to argue here, but the only thing the PS4 had over the Xbox One in terms of paper numbers was the DDR5 vs DDR3. But people still don't understand the differing architecture between the two consoles. The Xbox One has potentially greater bandwidth, on paper, than the PS4 with the ESRAM on the GPU die. Both consoles are basically the same but since MS did such a crap job of explaining their system everyone thinks the PS4 is superior because 5 > 3.firefox59

Umm No.

Both consoles  have the same CPU and GPU architecture so yes we can compare the two on that front. And no, Xbox One does not have greater bandwidth. That is complete bullshit. The ESRAM has a bandwidth of 102 GB/s. It is also only 32MB. The PS4 has access to 8GB of GDDR5 RAM at 176 GB/s.

Stop buying into MSs bullshit of the ESRAM giving you a 200 GB/s bandwidth. This claim has been debunked by many tech sites on the internet.

And no, anyone who says both consoles are basically the same likely does not have a good understanding of how statistics or simple math work. A 50% difference in power is a SUBSTANTIAL difference. If a companys $18 stock drops to $12 you get huge headlines like Stock fell 50%!!!.  Or in this case, an $1,840 stock drops to $1,300 people would go nuts. They would lose millions.

The entire PC hardware industry is based upon these incremental upgrades to the hardware. Its what people look at when they want to buy a new GPU. And now all of a sudden, we are disregarding these upgrades? These are just some of the areas the PS4 has an advantage over the Xbox One GPU.

Compute Units
PS4 18 - Xbox One 12 (50% advantage)

Texture Units
PS4 72 Xbox One 48 (50% advantage)

Shader Cores
PS4 1,152 Xbox One 768 (50% advantage)

Render Output Units

PS4 32 Xbox One 16 (50% advantage)

And then you have the customizations Sony has made like adding 64 compute queues vs the Xbox Ones 4 or is it 8?

Lets look at the RAM.

PS4 8GB GDDR5 @ 176 GB/s

Xbox One 8 GB DDR3 @ 68 GB/s

So no the difference isnt 5>3. The difference is 250%. Advantage Sony.  But yes, the 32MB ESRAM can give them up to 102 GB/s so Sonys bandwidth advantage drops down to a still very significant 72%.

Bottom line is you cannot disregard simple math.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
If you could manually overclock it, there would be no point since the games aren't designed for that. You wouldn't be able to change the game settings like you can on PC. I don't think anyone wants to risk what MS went through last gen with the red ring epidemic.
Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Areez

[QUOTE="Areez"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"] This plus the first post are hilarious. After the RROD disaster MS made sure that would never happen again. They already said you could run the console for 10 years without it breaking down. They took the overheating issue s seriously that they underclocked the Xbox One and only recently increased it just to make sure it could handle the heat and strain. To the OP, stop saying the PS4 is more powerful like it's a fact. It isn't. And even though it doesn't mean much, the Xbox One now has a higher clock speed than the PS4.firefox59

On paper the PS4 is faster than the Xbox One. That is a fact, based on the internal specs of the console. Now what we do not know are the final clock speeds of the CPU on the PS4. As recent as Gamescom, Sony was still showcasing PC bssed units under a PS4 shell. So perhaps they too are in the final stages prior to full production. Oddly enough, unless I missed this, has Sony announced that they are indeed in full production?

I'm not trying to argue here, but the only thing the PS4 had over the Xbox One in terms of paper numbers was the DDR5 vs DDR3. But people still don't understand the differing architecture between the two consoles. The Xbox One has potentially greater bandwidth, on paper, than the PS4 with the ESRAM on the GPU die. Both consoles are basically the same but since MS did such a crap job of explaining their system everyone thinks the PS4 is superior because 5 > 3.

You are correct in regards to the potentially greater bandwith the Xbox One has over the PS4. However, let us not forget that the GPU on the PS4 is roughly 50% more powerful, with 1152 shader peocessors against the Xbox Ones 768, which has since increased with the GPU speed increase to 853 mhz. In theory this should allow the PS4 to have better visual effects. The problem is we do not know how much better the visuals will be, all of that depends on the developers utilizing the system to its potential. Now is the PS4 vastly more powerful than the Xbox One? Probably not, the gap is probably closer than what most of us realize.

What is interesting is while MS has announced that they are in full production and that the clock speed of the CPU is now 1.75 GHZ, Sony has announcend nothing of the sorts. With the launch window a week ahead of Microsofts, I wonder if Sony is having yeild problems with their chiips coming off the line. Perhaps, and this purely speculation, they are having heating issues with the chip clocked at the rumored 2GHZ. Again, pure speculation on my behalf....

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Areez

[QUOTE="firefox59"] I'm not trying to argue here, but the only thing the PS4 had over the Xbox One in terms of paper numbers was the DDR5 vs DDR3. But people still don't understand the differing architecture between the two consoles. The Xbox One has potentially greater bandwidth, on paper, than the PS4 with the ESRAM on the GPU die. Both consoles are basically the same but since MS did such a crap job of explaining their system everyone thinks the PS4 is superior because 5 > 3.S0lidSnake

Umm No.

Both consoles have the same CPU and GPU architecture so yes we can compare the two on that front. And no, Xbox One does not have greater bandwidth. That is complete bullshit. The ESRAM has a bandwidth of 102 GB/s. It is also only 32MB. The PS4 has access to 8GB of GDDR5 RAM at 176 GB/s.

Stop buying into MSs bullshit of the ESRAM giving you a 200 GB/s bandwidth. This claim has been debunked by many tech sites on the internet.

And no, anyone who says both consoles are basically the same likely does not have a good understanding of how statistics or simple math work. A 50% difference in power is a SUBSTANTIAL difference. If a companys $18 stock drops to $12 you get huge headlines like Stock fell 50%!!!. Or in this case, an $1,840 stock drops to $1,300 people would go nuts. They would lose millions.

The entire PC hardware industry is based upon these incremental upgrades to the hardware. Its what people look at when they want to buy a new GPU. And now all of a sudden, we are disregarding these upgrades? These are just some of the areas the PS4 has an advantage over the Xbox One GPU.

Compute Units
PS4 18 - Xbox One 12 (50% advantage)

Texture Units
PS4 72 Xbox One 48 (50% advantage)

Shader Cores
PS4 1,152 Xbox One 768 (50% advantage)

Render Output Units

PS4 32 Xbox One 16 (50% advantage)

And then you have the customizations Sony has made like adding 64 compute queues vs the Xbox Ones 4 or is it 8?

Lets look at the RAM.

PS4 8GB GDDR5 @ 176 GB/s

Xbox One 8 GB DDR3 @ 68 GB/s

So no the difference isnt 5>3. The difference is 250%. Advantage Sony. But yes, the 32MB ESRAM can give them up to 102 GB/s so Sonys bandwidth advantage drops down to a still very significant 72%.

Bottom line is you cannot disregard simple math.

Regarding the eSRAM on the Xbox One. If it is used as a cache, it should significantly cut down on GPU memory bandwith requests, which will give the GPU much more bandwith than the 256 bit DDR3 memory would otherwise have. Depending on how the eSRAM is managed, it is possible that the Xbox One could have comparable bandwith to the PS4. Again, this depends on how the developers utilize the tech in the device.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RimacBugatti
With that said it does sound like PS4 GPU is more powerful. It will be iinteresting to see what the slight overclock will do to close the gap. Being that we havent heard anything about Sony your right in saying I hope they arent having issues. Im sure they have it under control otherwise they would have to notify us of a release date change.
danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts
Do we really want a repeat of last gen(hardware-wise)? 2006-2008 were not good years for 360, especially.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"] I'm not trying to argue here, but the only thing the PS4 had over the Xbox One in terms of paper numbers was the DDR5 vs DDR3. But people still don't understand the differing architecture between the two consoles. The Xbox One has potentially greater bandwidth, on paper, than the PS4 with the ESRAM on the GPU die. Both consoles are basically the same but since MS did such a crap job of explaining their system everyone thinks the PS4 is superior because 5 > 3.Areez

You are correct in regards to the potentially greater bandwith the Xbox One has over the PS4. However, let us not forget that the GPU on the PS4 is roughly 50% more powerful, with 1152 shader peocessors against the Xbox Ones 768, which has since increased with the GPU speed increase to 853 mhz. In theory this should allow the PS4 to have better visual effects. The problem is we do not know how much better the visuals will be, all of that depends on the developers utilizing the system to its potential. Now is the PS4 vastly more powerful than the Xbox One? Probably not, the gap is probably closer than what most of us realize.

What is interesting is while MS has announced that they are in full production and that the clock speed of the CPU is now 1.75 GHZ, Sony has announcend nothing of the sorts. With the launch window a week ahead of Microsofts, I wonder if Sony is having yeild problems with their chiips coming off the line. Perhaps, and this purely speculation, they are having heating issues with the chip clocked at the rumored 2GHZ. Again, pure speculation on my behalf....

And you are correct in that regard. I'm just tired of people messing up the bandwidth numbers. Right now there are a number of games that look better on the Xbox One than anything on the PS4. Until we get a PS4 game that is comparable we will have to speculate as to how the higher GPU numbers will translate to visuals. The only reason the PS4 would be having heating issues, if true, is because they insist on having an internal power supply for some reason.
RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RimacBugatti
An internal power supply in addition to the small size is kind of crazy but I would have rather seen a smaller console with an external power supply. Hopefully when they make the PS4 slim they will use an external power supply.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="Areez"]

On paper the PS4 is faster than the Xbox One. That is a fact, based on the internal specs of the console. Now what we do not know are the final clock speeds of the CPU on the PS4. As recent as Gamescom, Sony was still showcasing PC bssed units under a PS4 shell. So perhaps they too are in the final stages prior to full production. Oddly enough, unless I missed this, has Sony announced that they are indeed in full production?

Areez

Sony has already stated that the PS4 is in production. They announced their release date long before and aren't frantically changing specs at the 11th hour, so it wasn't considered a big deal.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/08/29/watch-sonys-gamestop-expo-2013-conference-off-screen-ps4-is-in-production-right-now-as-we-speak/

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Areez

[QUOTE="Areez"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"] I'm not trying to argue here, but the only thing the PS4 had over the Xbox One in terms of paper numbers was the DDR5 vs DDR3. But people still don't understand the differing architecture between the two consoles. The Xbox One has potentially greater bandwidth, on paper, than the PS4 with the ESRAM on the GPU die. Both consoles are basically the same but since MS did such a crap job of explaining their system everyone thinks the PS4 is superior because 5 > 3.CarnageHeart

Sony has already stated that the PS4 is in production. They announced their release date long before and aren't frantically changing specs at the 11th hour, so it wasn't considered a big deal.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/08/29/watch-sonys-gamestop-expo-2013-conference-off-screen-ps4-is-in-production-right-now-as-we-speak/

They may be in production with the PS4.  But we have heard nothing in the way of the clockspeed of the CPU, specifically what will be for the final product. Right now it is speculated that it will 2ghz -2.4 ghz...Sony was also having production issues early on...

Will they meet their goal of 14 million consoles shipped by tbe end of the year? And will the final build have a cpu that clocks in at the speeds that have been speculated for some time? We shall see.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 S0lidSnake

They may be in production with the PS4.  But we have heard nothing in the way of the clockspeed of the CPU, specifically what will be for the final product. Right now it is speculated that it will 2ghz -2.4 ghz...Sony was also having production issues early on...

Areez

lol you are just pulling this out of your ass. There have been zero reports of Sony having production issues. I haven't heard any rumors of a 2 -2.4 ghz upgrade either other than fanboys begging for one.

If they are already in production then we can pretty much forget about the upclock. They might end up doing it like they did with the PSP, but to claim that they are having production isues simply because they havent announced a clock increase is ridiculous.

Also, it's 14 million fiscal year. Where are you getting all this info from. Links please.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Areez

[QUOTE="Areez"]

S0lidSnake

lol you are just pulling this out of your ass. There have been zero reports of Sony having production issues. I haven't heard any rumors of a 2 -2.4 ghz upgrade either other than fanboys begging for one.

If they are already in production then we can pretty much forget about the upclock. They might end up doing it like they did with the PSP, but to claim that they are having production isues simply because they havent announced a clock increase is ridiculous.

Also, it's 14 million fiscal year. Where are you getting all this info from. Links please.

Earlier in the year, their were reports of production issues. And if you had read my previous posts, you would have seen where I state, that I am speculating here!!!! 

More than anything, I am curious why we have not heard confirmation on the actual clock speed of the PS4s cpu from Sony as we have with MS. And if the silence we are hearing has to do with poor yeilds from the chips during manufacturing. Again, regarding the 2-2.4 ghz rumors, that has been all over the net, including an FCC filing showing 2.4 ghz. I would provide you the link, but I am on my Galaxy S4. :)

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Areez"]

Areez

Earlier in the year, their were reports of production issues. And if you had read my previous posts, you would have seen where I state, that I am speculating here!!!! 

Perhaps I was not specific enough here about why I am speculating. I am curious as to why we have not heard any confirmation on the actual clock speed of the PS4s cpu from Sony as we have with MS. And if the silence we are hearing has to do with poor yeilds from the chips during manufacturing. Again, regarding the 2-2.4 ghz rumors, that has been all over the net, including an FCC filing showing 2.4 ghz. I would provide you the link, but I am on my Galaxy S4. :)

The FCC filing showed 2.75 Ghz and it was for the Wifi.

There have been zero reports of production issues with the PS4.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Areez

[QUOTE="Areez"]

S0lidSnake

I will have  to pull the link later but I did read that the goal was 12 million by 2013. If you are correct, than it would be that many units shipped by March 31 2014, the end of Sonys fiscal year.

The 2.75 ghz from what I read was in reference to the "max clock frequency".

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Areez

[QUOTE="Areez"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]lol you are just pulling this out of your ass. There have been zero reports of Sony having production issues. I haven't heard any rumors of a 2 -2.4 ghz upgrade either other than fanboys begging for one.

S0lidSnake

Perhaps I was not specific enough here about why I am speculating. I am curious as to why we have not heard any confirmation on the actual clock speed of the PS4s cpu from Sony as we have with MS. And if the silence we are hearing has to do with poor yeilds from the chips during manufacturing. Again, regarding the 2-2.4 ghz rumors, that has been all over the net, including an FCC filing showing 2.4 ghz. I would provide you the link, but I am on my Galaxy S4. :)

If you go back to reports in May, their were rumblings of production issues...

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Areez"]

Areez

If you go back to reports in May, their were rumblings of production issues...

Anyway, a guy claiming to work in one of the factories producing PS4s provided some photos and stated that his factory alone is slated to ship one million PS4s at launch.

Credit for the find to the neogaf (the link below provides a link to the Chinese language website where the photos were originally posted.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671749

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RimacBugatti
Wow that's awesome so now atleast we know everything is under way and going as planned with no apparent delays. Thanks very much for the photos! :) I'm really disappointed that we haven't seen any demo consoles at the stores as of yet. So I'm assuming that Sony doesn't have a factory in America manufacturing the PS4?
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 S0lidSnake

Anyway, a guy claiming to work in one of the factories producing PS4s provided some photos and stated that his factory alone is slated to ship one million PS4s at launch.

Credit for the find to the neogaf (the link below provides a link to the Chinese language website where the photos were originally posted.

CarnageHeart

lol there you go. This is a console that was revealed MONTHS in advance of the Xbone. A console  that hasnt seen its specs changed. A console with specs set in stone since its initial reveal. A cheaper, smaller, more powerful with a much simpler designed console. A console that went into production with THE biggest preorder numbers ever for a console and Sony claiming they will have enough to meet the demand. That console is now all of a sudden having production issues?

There is a lot of BS about thrown around recently. Two MS PR folks have been downplaying Sony's 50% GPU advantage in the most clinical manner. First it was 50% then they upped the clock so the Tflops difference was brought down to 40%. Nevermind the fact that the PS4 still has 50% more Texture Units, Shader Cores and 100% more ROPs. And then they did a minor upclock on the CPU and now all of a sudden the difference is down to 30% according to them. :lol: 

The funniest thing is that now they are saying Xbone has some secret sauce and is just as powerful if not more than the PS4. This is a classic case of damage control and lots of people are falling for it. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 S0lidSnake

Wow that's awesome so now atleast we know everything is under way and going as planned with no apparent delays. Thanks very much for the photos! :) I'm really disappointed that we haven't seen any demo consoles at the stores as of yet. So I'm assuming that Sony doesn't have a factory in America manufacturing the PS4? RimacBugatti

America doesnt manufacture electronics. Well not all electronics. It will be too expensive to manfacture the PS4 here with all the factory workers getting paid $100k a year. :lol:

They should have some PS4s by the end of October. The picture suggests that they have working hardware already. Now they just need working demos. 

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Areez

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

S0lidSnake

lol there you go. This is a console that was revealed MONTHS in advance of the Xbone. A console  that hasnt seen its specs changed. A console with specs set in stone since its initial reveal. A cheaper, smaller, more powerful with a much simpler designed console. A console that went into production with THE biggest preorder numbers ever for a console and Sony claiming they will have enough to meet the demand. That console is now all of a sudden having production issues?

There is a lot of BS about thrown around recently. Two MS PR folks have been downplaying Sony's 50% GPU advantage in the most clinical manner. First it was 50% then they upped the clock so the Tflops difference was brought down to 40%. Nevermind the fact that the PS4 still has 50% more Texture Units, Shader Cores and 100% more ROPs. And then they did a minor upclock on the CPU and now all of a sudden the difference is down to 30% according to them. :lol: 

The funniest thing is that now they are saying Xbone has some secret sauce and is just as powerful if not more than the PS4. This is a classic case of damage control and lots of people are falling for it. 

Has Sony announced the clock speed of the CPU yet? 

And please explain to me why tweaking the cpu is such a bad thing? I was unware that it it is detrimental to the consumer, to have a product improved upon. Competition is a good thing folks, as consumers we are the beneficiaries of it.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Areez

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Areez

And please explain to me why tweaking the cpu is such a bad thing? I was unware that it it is detrimental to the consumer, to have a product improved upon. Competition is a good thing folks, as consumers we are the beneficiaries of it.

Interesting.....just read that for the dev kits...the CPU for the PS4 was 1.6ghz and that it would be bumped to 2ghz for the final versions...this has not been confirmed by Sony...

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 S0lidSnake

Interesting.....just read that for the dev kits...the CPU for the PS4 was 1.6ghz and that it would be bumped to 2ghz for the final versions...this has not been confirmed by Sony...

Areez

Where did I say it was a bad thing? I want Sony to upgrade their CPU AND their GPU. Hell, I even commended MS for doing so. 

What I am shitting on are the false rumors that Sony is having production issues. 

Where did you read that the CPU would be bumped to 2ghz? This is what the Digital Foundry guy had to say. It seems highly unlikely that Sony would allow the TDP to increase by that much for a measly 400 mhz bump on the CPU.  Especially when they've spent so much time upgrading the compute abilities of the GPU.

Interesting AMD Jaguar stat from @anandshimpi: 2GHz clock speed requires 66% TDP increase compared to 1.6GHz, ruling out next-gen console.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#47 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts
no they should not overclock the GPU, more chances on having hardware problems
RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RimacBugatti
Well it's only speculation but I think Sony is going to adjust to the wants of the consumer and the competition due to the fact that they know our expectations are to exceed the competition as they did when they introduced the Blu-ray unlike Microsoft. They already have a one up as far as price but now with the Xbox One spec overclocks they will probably overclock as well just to please the Sony fans. They may perhaps exceed what Microsoft has done but not to let us know until very last minute so that Microsoft doesn't have time to scramble and try to match the adjustments. Japan is very smart and not self destructive like Microsoft. Microsoft has an issue with keeping a hush mouth. I'm very excited to see what happens over the next 9 weeks.