Sony details PS4 interface, user accounts, and more at GDC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#1 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Link.

Chris Norton, senior staff engineer from the strategy team for developer services and support at Sony Computer Entertainment America, showed off the console's interface and pointed out that it will show information about a game including comments from other players and downloadable content before you boot up a game.

A "digest" screen tells you what your PlayStation Network friends are playing at the moment, and you'll have the option to use their real names, which will show up in games. If you link your PSN account to your Facebook account, you'll be required to use your real name (or, presumably, whatever name is on your Facebook account). If some players haven't linked their accounts, then everyone will have to agree to use their real names in order for all players to see them.

In a game, you might see a player's real name overlaid on a part of a race course, for example. According to Norton, Sony wants to put players' real names into games wherever it makes sense. User accounts are tied to a player or controller, not a single PS4 console. And Norton said that Sony is increasing the PSN friend limit PlayStation 3 users are limited to 100 friends.

Remote Play with the PlayStation Vita is also baked into the PS4, and both the handheld screen and TV will mirror each other, instead of the TV showing a message telling you to look at the PS Vita. Since the PS Vita doesn't have triggers like the DualShock 4, a default controller mapping for those buttons will be available, and developers can customize that layout. The new PlayStation Eye, a depth-sensing device with two cameras, plugs into the PS4 with a proprietary connector, not through USB.

Polygon

I don't mind using my real name, but I can see that being contentious for most people. When Blizard tried doing that with Battle Net, nearly the whole community rallied against it.

The social features seem all right, but I wish there were video of it. Hard to get a feel for it without an actual demonstration to watch.

Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Jerell_rast
Member since 2004 • 7095 Posts
I just hate using my real name for online gaming so I will try to avoid it at all cost. Part of the gaming culture was always to represent with your gaming alias, and own people with it :/.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Meh, I have no intentions of connecting with Facebook or using my real name.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
no thanks, i will not use my real name when gaming
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#5 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I prefer usernames to real ones when playing video games. Also, I would like to know more about the PlayStation 4's game streaming capabilities.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Just do what I did, make a gaming account on Facebook with a fake name and link that account. Screw Sony and using real names, that's just stupid and setting yourself up for trouble.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Last_Ride

Just do what I did, make a gaming account on Facebook with a fake name and link that account. Screw Sony and using real names, that's just stupid and setting yourself up for trouble.

Bigboi500
that's what i am going to do if they are forcing us
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I dont mind the idea of people using the real names. You cant just be a d*ck to everyone when everyone knows who you are. 

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

The_Last_Ride

that's what i am going to do if they are forcing us

In the education segment on facebook I put "Studied button presses at Wii U".

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#10 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Bigboi500

If it comes down to them forcing this on us, I will do just this. I will give myself the dumbest name ever as well.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 c_rakestraw  Moderator

I dont mind the idea of people using the real names. You cant just be a d*ck to everyone when everyone knows who you are. S0lidSnake

People will still be jerks if they really want to. Just means they can actually be held accountable now, not that it will stop them.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]I dont mind the idea of people using the real names. You cant just be a d*ck to everyone when everyone knows who you are. c_rake

People will still be jerks if they really want to. Just means they can actually be held accountable now, not that it will stop them.

In a world were employers are going over people's social media profiles I think a lot more people will be more careful with their online behaviour if it could be used against them to cost them their jobs.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I dont mind the idea of people using the real names. You cant just be a d*ck to everyone when everyone knows who you are. 

S0lidSnake

I can. :P

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

No way am I using my real name for anything online gaming. Don't need someone getting so pissed off at me in-game that they decide to track me down in real life. 

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#15 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Nope, no thanks. Im going to be sticking with ps3/360 for a long while anyway.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

That's lame! Why not just give us an option to just stick with a username only? I understand the social aspect of it and wanting to get together, but I think forcing you to have a real name on there is a bit too much. I hope fans are already rallying against Sony on that idea.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

S0lidSnake

Eh, that doesn't really stop people on Facebook and Twitter though.

Even though my user name is part of my actual name, I'm not really comfortable using my complete full name online for everybody to see. It is nice to hear that the system will be much easier for devs to work on, though.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I dont care to use my real name.. if playing with friends sure, but since 99% of the time I'm playing with people I don't know, no thanks.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Lucky_Krystal

If it comes down to them forcing this on us, I will do just this. I will give myself the dumbest name ever as well.

Bonnie McFishface.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Yeah, because youy really want a bunch of raving online lunatics to know your real name and stalk you on facebook
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 c_rakestraw  Moderator

No way am I using my real name for anything online gaming. Don't need someone getting so pissed off at me in-game that they decide to track me down in real life. 

Vari3ty

I nearly had that happen to me once. Scary stuff.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Metamania

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

c_rake

Yeah, that too. None of that needs to happen. If Sony can give us the option to put in our usernames only and leave out any real information, then the whole thing is better in the long run.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Metamania

Yeah, that too. None of that needs to happen. If Sony can give us the option to put in our usernames only and leave out any real information, then the whole thing is better in the long run.

Or you could just punch in a fake name
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

Black_Knight_00

I suppose it's possible to do that, but wouldn't Sony be able to find out who is real and who isn't and block/banish/punish/etc those that are fake?

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

I suppose it's possible to do that, but wouldn't Sony be able to find out who is real and who isn't and block/banish/punish/etc those that are fake?

They haven't been so far
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Yeah, that too. None of that needs to happen. If Sony can give us the option to put in our usernames only and leave out any real information, then the whole thing is better in the long run.Metamania

I've just resigned myself to accepting that it's something I just have to be wary off. My name's already out on the web thanks to my writings. Best I can do is try not to piss anyone off enough to cause such drastic action.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Metamania"]Yeah, that too. None of that needs to happen. If Sony can give us the option to put in our usernames only and leave out any real information, then the whole thing is better in the long run.c_rake

I've just resigned myself to accepting that it's something I just have to be wary off. My name's already out on the web thanks to my writings. Best I can do is try not to piss anyone off enough to cause such drastic action.

Or make an anonymous account to piss people off. Not that I would do that, of course.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Metamania

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]Yeah, that too. None of that needs to happen. If Sony can give us the option to put in our usernames only and leave out any real information, then the whole thing is better in the long run.Black_Knight_00

Or make an anonymous account to piss people off. Not that I would do that, of course.

Someone will do that and probably stir ire from Sony's side anyway. You watch.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

According to IGN, the real name thing is optional (also, you can choose who sees your real name). I'm not deeply opposed but I don't have a Facebook account and have no plans to set one up.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/28/playstation-4-the-coolest-stuff-you-probably-didnt-know

Your Real (PSN) Names

At the February debut, Sony showed the PlayStation 4 dialing into your social networks and then using your real name on the console. This, as predicted, is something youll need to enable. If enabled, when you import your friends from social networks, youll use your real name. You can decide which of your PlayStation only friends see your real name, too. If any.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

I'm cool with using real name, but not going to be using FB (don't use it now).

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Metamania

According to IGN, the real name thing is optional (also, you can choose who sees your real name). I'm not deeply opposed but I don't have a Facebook account and have no plans to set one up.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/28/playstation-4-the-coolest-stuff-you-probably-didnt-know

Your Real (PSN) Names

At the February debut, Sony showed the PlayStation 4 dialing into your social networks and then using your real name on the console. This, as predicted, is something youll need to enable. If enabled, when you import your friends from social networks, youll use your real name. You can decide which of your PlayStation only friends see your real name, too. If any.

CarnageHeart

I know that this is off-topic a little bit, but the information IGN brought up about your PS4 controllers charging while your system is off is excellent. I didn't know the PS3 had that problem, so it's good to see that they are fixing it.

Back to this though, if the real name thing is completely optional, then that's a sigh of relief, IMO.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Yeah....no way am I'm linking anything to Facebook, nor am I using my real name online.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 The_Last_Ride

Your Real (PSN) Names

CarnageHeart
yeah that's great
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#34 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Some cool stuff announced. I like the sound of a recharing controller while the system is off. Though I'll try and keep my real name from appearing.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Using my real name on PSN would be a deal breaker.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

I'm okay with using my real name. I won't have a credit card saved to it anyways and it's not like people don't know my name exists. I vote afterall. It's public record.

I can see why someone wouldn't want to.  The pissing someone off and them coming to kill you scenario is pretty scary.  Fortunately, I don't get into pissing contests with people while gaming.  Not really an issue for me.  That said, I'll probably still use my username for public multiplayer if I can.  I don't know why they couldn't just let your Facebook friends see your real name while other people see your username.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
I don't mind using my real name and it would help me figure out who do i actually know in real life on my friend list. but what about the kids! a minor shouldn't have their name out their like that
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="playmynutz"] but what about the kids! a minor shouldn't have their name out their like that

I think you weren't serious, but if someone does have an answer for it then I'm interested. What can someone do with a name? That's not good enough to steal your identity. You can't just walk into a car dealership and say "Oh, it's okay. I'm Bob Jenkins. Just mail me the bill." If you want to protect your name from being known, then you'd have to avoid going to school or working because of the hundreds of kids, thousands of parents, and hundreds of coworker families.