Sometimes its the little things that count

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

Ever see something in a game and think to yourself, "oh gee that's really cool" or "wow that's neat"? These minor touches may seem trivial and insignificant to some, but to others, these spark a feeling of delight and pleasure to one's senses.

Personally, I like how Dante in the first DMC bellows as he slices his foes to oblivion, as well as the weapon animation when you go to the menu screen.:D

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Sweet thread. The first moment like this that I can remember is watching Megaman's tiny 8-bit sprite blink. OMG.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
My favorite "little thing" in games almost always ends up being a deep physics system that lets you play around with the environment. I love screwing around with the gravity gun in Half-Life 2, and I love shooting the propane tanks in Killzone 2. If you shoot the cap of the propane tank, gas starts leaking out at high pressure and the tank starts spinning around like one of those groundflower fireworks until it blows up.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
I always got a kick out of the pedestrians in Grand Theft Auto. My favorite was probably in GTA San Andreas how the pedestrians changed their reaction to you based on your physical appearance. Different clothes and different body types would elicit different responses.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BladesOfAthena

My favorite "little thing" in games almost always ends up being a deep physics system that lets you play around with the environment. I love screwing around with the gravity gun in Half-Life 2, and I love shooting the propane tanks in Killzone 2. If you shoot the cap of the propane tank, gas starts leaking out at high pressure and the tank starts spinning around like one of those groundflower fireworks until it blows up.rragnaar

Yeah, KZ2 apparently seems very physics intensive. Have you seen this one? Notice how bullets from the soldier's rifle hits something on the table as he falls to the ground. That's crazy!

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#6 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
This is really hard to think about but i got one!! When I was playing Digital Devil Saga 1 for a second time I noticed that sometimes it was raining and other times it wasnt during missions. I think it was random. That was cool. I know there have been other things but I just dont make a habit of memorizing those types of things lol.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

@ BladesofAthena- That is sweet! I hadn't seen that.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

@ BladesofAthena- That is sweet! I hadn't seen that.

rragnaar

I hope you both noticed the decapitation in that gif.

Yeah for a shooter, Killzone 2 seems to have a lot of these little touches that go unnoticed at first.

I remember the area behind the waterfall in Uncharted with the sun setting down, it looked stunning. I also liked how Drake would get all scared whenever a grenade landed near him. :lol:

The physics in Half Life blew me away. I must have played that Ravenholm (sp?) demo a hundred times and each time, it was different.

MGS games have always had these little things most will probably never notice. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but when Liquid/ocelot kisses Snake during that fight, I was like ,'This is probably too much detail. this is TMI!!!' :lol:

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
The character animation in SFIV is tremendously awesome! Every character has their own personality that comes to life on screen. I agree, it's these little touches that go a long way. When you play other 3D fighters like Tekken, VF, MK vs DC, DOA 4, or SCIV, they lack this personality that I'm seeing in SFIV. They all feel technical and mechanical, which is understandable since they're going for a more realistic feel. But SFIV has a unique cartoony art sty-le which gives it that personality. Capcom and DIMPS did a great job animating the game.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Of all games I can pick im going to go with Metal Gear 4 for my example of a little detail I really liked. Snake being so old and crabby in the game sometimes when I would do a somersault his back would give out midroll and he would spasm and fall helpless to the ground. I thought that was pretty cool. ......even though it got me killed more than once :x
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BladesOfAthena

Other things I think to be worthy of note:

-Yunsung's victory pose where he twirls his sword, does the splits, and goes, "no one can stop me!" Now usually I'm not the type who finds cockiness attractive, but this one just appealed to me for some reason

-Listening to the Sims talk gibberish. First time I heard it, I totally laughed my ass off.

-Tales Of Symphonia's intro screen. So relaxing!

-In Lord Of The Rings: The Third Age, whenever you tweak the armor/weapons, the character's look changes accordingly. If only more RPGs can do this.

-Link's (WW) animation everytime he opens a treasure chest.

-The various scenery in Bioshock

-Kirby's little victory dance

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

I have tons from over the years,but my favorite of all time, is in GTAIV. When you see the garbage trucks and the guys on the back just like in real life,hanging on and swinging according to the movement. And then when you jack one they get off and run aways. those are the details that to me make a game world seem real.

And yeah,that killzone gif looks sweet,thats also another type of detail I really like. So a combiantion of odd real life type details mixed with real world physics I guess.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
In those Super Mario Advance games, the fact every time I push the jump button mario grunts... that was the icing on the cake of how the little things can just make something so awesome /sarcasm. One of the newer little things was the level in World of Goo where you finally get to talk to MOM. The GUI window let you still play with the goo in it even though it had no relevance to the level... thought that was interesting.
theharlemshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 theharlemshake
Member since 2009 • 808 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]My favorite "little thing" in games almost always ends up being a deep physics system that lets you play around with the environment. I love screwing around with the gravity gun in Half-Life 2, and I love shooting the propane tanks in Killzone 2. If you shoot the cap of the propane tank, gas starts leaking out at high pressure and the tank starts spinning around like one of those groundflower fireworks until it blows up.BladesOfAthena

Yeah, KZ2 apparently seems very physics intensive. Have you seen this one? Notice how bullets from the soldier's rifle hits something on the table as he falls to the ground. That's crazy!

Beautiful. In addition to bullet ricochet becoming a main stay in shooters, I first thought "OH SNAP!" the first time I saw an enemy continue to keep firing his weapon as his body fell to the ground. Also, back on the Nintendo64, playing "Jet Force Gemini" (great game) was the first time I saw a bullet hit a grenade in mid air and the grenade actually blew up. I thought that was groundbreaking.
Chaos1031

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chaos1031
Member since 2005 • 94 Posts

In Tomb Raider Anniversary the dirt and soot that would get on Lara would still be on her in the cutscenes.
Also the water effects when she would get out of the water and she didn't instantly become dry (Loved that effect in Twilight Princess as well).
Pretty minor things that have probably become somewhat standard lately.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
So many, but the things that really made me smile that was when I came to the second islan in GTA 4, got out of the car and walked down 12 blocks in the pouring rain. The way the other pedestrians reacted to the weather felt so real, running while holding a newspaper over their head, folding up umbrellas, lifting their shoulders to preserve body heat, the way the rain drops dabbed off parked cars and how Niko reacted to the weather when I stopped on a corner. Those little things actually makes walking, for the first time in GTA, fun. Atleast for me.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BladesOfAthena

In Tomb Raider Anniversary the dirt and soot that would get on Lara would still be on her in the cutscenes.
Also the water effects when she would get out of the water and she didn't instantly become dry (Loved that effect in Twilight Princess as well).
Pretty minor things that have probably become somewhat standard lately.

Chaos1031

Oh yeah! I forgot about that one! Yeah, I thought that was pretty amazing. Graphics have certainly come a long way from the days of the Atari.

Speaking of water, I love how Okami shakes herself dry like a dog after having bathed in the water. I thought that was really cool.

Insurrection4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Insurrection4
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

Once upon a time, I made a thread like this one in a different forum. Can't remember for the life in me what I had put in it.

As a lefty, I take joy in knowing that Link is a lefty. I'm a big fan of the dismemberment in Call of Duty World at War. It's always fun to shoot somebody and then watch their arms or legs fall off.

Other than that, I can't think of anything. I know there's a whole list of the little things that I liked, but I can't think of squat right now.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
All the time. For example, I love how in Perfect Dark, when you shoot a guard in the crotch, they cover their bleeding balls with their hands to ward off future bullets :P.
webhead921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 webhead921
Member since 2009 • 684 Posts

I loved the nods to other GTA games in vice city.

I love the music in zelda games. A lot of the same motifs as music from previous zeldas, but the music still feel fresh.

I liked trying to write my name on the walls with bullet holes the first time I played Halo, and repeatedly meleeing corpses.

I love the music in Super Mario Galaxy. It adds soooooo much to the game's feel.

Genia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Genia
Member since 2003 • 185 Posts

I know there have been loads of these but the only one I can remember is similar to whats been mentioned before:

When I played Dungeon Seige every weapon and bit of armour on your character matched how it looked in the inventory. This is the first game I played that had that. It sometimes really bothered me in Diablo that there were so many cool looking weapons in your inventory but on your character they often just looked like a generic weapon of that type.

Genia

kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kulmiye
Member since 2004 • 12094 Posts
The animation and health warnings in MGS4 in between loading times is the recent one I can remember.