Something I just thought about - future of digital purchases

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MegaMatt91
Member since 2011 • 462 Posts

If in the future everything is bought online, how will parents buy games for their kids? The entire thing of opening video games as presents will be gone.

That, and the fact I prefer having physical media is the reason I am not looking forward to the day we go digial 100%.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
1) The same way parents usually buy kids a present: With a credit/debit card instead of cash. "Opening presents" is an incredibly weak excuse. If someone wants something as a gift, parents will buy it whether its physical or digital. 2) Any well done digital distribution system is superior in almost every way to a physical only medium. I would get used to digital.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I couldn't care less about what kids will do not opening up physical games on Christmas. There are much larger concerns to worry about with digital distribution and cloud gaming.

MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MegaMatt91

1) The same way parents usually buy kids a present: With a credit/debit card instead of cash. "Opening presents" is an incredibly weak excuse. If someone wants something as a gift, parents will buy it whether its physical or digital. 2) Any well done digital distribution system is superior in almost every way to a physical only medium. I would get used to digital. XaosII

What, so how exactly are we going to give each other video games as presents, give each other our credit card info?

Go to our friends computer, put the info in, buy it and download it? How is the digital system superior? I can play instantly, have it for life, don't need internet. There will be no more excitement of opening your games for christmas or birthday.

Will your family / friends give you pieces of paper with codes on it.

Meh, I hope the day of 100% digital never comes. I still buy music and dvds in physical form. Having the physical item is nicer.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]1) The same way parents usually buy kids a present: With a credit/debit card instead of cash. "Opening presents" is an incredibly weak excuse. If someone wants something as a gift, parents will buy it whether its physical or digital. 2) Any well done digital distribution system is superior in almost every way to a physical only medium. I would get used to digital. MegaMatt91

What, so how exactly are we going to give each other video games as presents, give each other our credit card info?

Go to our friends computer, put the info in, buy it and download it? How is the digital system superior? I can play instantly, have it for life, don't need internet. There will be no more excitement of opening your games for christmas or birthday.

Meh, I hope the day of 100% digital never comes. I still buy music and dvds in physical form. Having the physical item is nicer.

The bolded is proof you've got no idea what you're talking about.

Come back when you've used digital distribution. Gifts are availible in todays world, yet you're worried about gifts in the future...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44146 Posts
I'm not looking forward to digital only either. I greatly prefer to get my games in physical format and am willing to pay more for it. I also still buy my music on cd's. Hopefully digital only is a looooooong way off and I don't even want to entertain the thought of cloud-based gaming.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

1) The same way parents usually buy kids a present: With a credit/debit card instead of cash. "Opening presents" is an incredibly weak excuse. If someone wants something as a gift, parents will buy it whether its physical or digital. 2) Any well done digital distribution system is superior in almost every way to a physical only medium. I would get used to digital. XaosII

I think opening gifts is a fairly valid point. This is why I am adamantly against pure DD---that physicality that you and everyone seems to downplay I see as crucial to the overall enjoyment of any game. Opening a well done collector's edition makes a game's release exponentially more gratifying instead of just hitting the download button. How exciting. This is why I hate e-books and fear print will eventually disappear. E-books are good for convinience only, it can never capture the care and craftsmanship a well put together book can. Same with games.

Avatar image for Majd_Abdulqadir
Majd_Abdulqadir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Majd_Abdulqadir
Member since 2009 • 295 Posts

I've already gifted several games to my nephews on their birthdays. I made it through the steam gift system.

They enjoyed my digital gift more than any of the physical gifts their friends and parents gave them.

MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MegaMatt91

[QUOTE="MegaMatt91"]

[QUOTE="XaosII"]1) The same way parents usually buy kids a present: With a credit/debit card instead of cash. "Opening presents" is an incredibly weak excuse. If someone wants something as a gift, parents will buy it whether its physical or digital. 2) Any well done digital distribution system is superior in almost every way to a physical only medium. I would get used to digital. Nibroc420

Come back when you've used digital distribution. Gifts are availible in todays world, yet you're worried about gifts in the future...

So you think everyone's parents is going to create a steam account rather than go to the store, buy it, wrap it and actually enjoy their kid opening their presents? This isn't restricted to kids by the way. I'm 21 and still get given games as presents and love opening them. This will thankfully be a long long way off anyway. Heaps of gamers still don't have a HDTV or broadband according to various sources including cliffy b from epic games.
MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MegaMatt91

[QUOTE="XaosII"]1) The same way parents usually buy kids a present: With a credit/debit card instead of cash. "Opening presents" is an incredibly weak excuse. If someone wants something as a gift, parents will buy it whether its physical or digital. 2) Any well done digital distribution system is superior in almost every way to a physical only medium. I would get used to digital. MirkoS77

I think opening gifts is a fairly valid point. This is why I am adamantly against pure DD---that physicality that you and everyone seems to downplay I see as crucial to the overall enjoyment of any game. Opening a well done collector's edition makes a game's release exponentially more gratifying instead of just hitting the download button. How exciting. This is why I hate e-books and fear print will eventually disappear. E-books are good for convinience only, it can never capture the care and craftsmanship a well put together book can. Same with games.

EXACTLY. That is just how I feel. I don't get why people would rather a download button rather than a new game with awesome box art, smells great, and looks great when you build up a big collection of games. I feel like I have got my money's worth when I can actually see what I bought.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Nintendo won't let that happen, but in the real world today, take apple as an example; they've got a number of decorated iTunes/app gift cards, some even displaying "games" or "rock"-----you know, to let the child know that the parents have an idea of interest.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Just think of waiting for Christmas and only to get a DD card in an envelope. Then there is the waiting for hours to play a game.

DD give more power to the publisher. Given the action and preserved entitlement that game publishers and developers have, I am scared of a pure DD market.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

If in the future everything is bought online, how will parents buy games for their kids? The entire thing of opening video games as presents will be gone.

That, and the fact I prefer having physical media is the reason I am not looking forward to the day we go digial 100%.

MegaMatt91
Who cares about opening presents? The real issue here is if you eliminate physical media say goodbye to the game rental business. And for that matter say goodbye to taking a game over to a friend's house to play together. We've already seen publishers/developers abuse DLC and microtransactions. Going 100% digital-only would surrender our last remaining consumer rights where every gamer would then be beholden to each company's demands on how THEY want you to play their games.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XaosII

What, so how exactly are we going to give each other video games as presents, give each other our credit card info?MegaMatt91

Almost every DD service has a gifting option. Buy the game as a gift and it sends them an e-mail with a link for that person to download it.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XaosII

MirkoS77

I too enjoy opening a well made, fairly priced CE. I own the CE for most Blizzard games. CE isn't mutually exclusive with a DD system, especially since they are already low print run items.

But the physical extras in a CE are the only thing worth actually having. A standard game will always have the same crap: DVD case, disc, a skimpy manual that has more text in EULA than actual content, and MAYBE a poster. Amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
The present argument is legitimate. Have you heartless people never opened presents on Christmas or some holiday or your birthday? As a kid, it's not the same when you open up a wrapped box and a paper receipt is lying inside. The anticipation is what makes Christmas morning great, as far as present opening goes. I'm not looking forward to the day everything is digital either even though I mostly buy digital. Occasionally, I'd rather have the box. Not usually.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

Visa gift cards, or steam gift cards. Eh, no biggie not to open a present.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#18 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

There are plenty of ligitimate concerns about digital distribution (what defines ownership, whether games will be treated solely as a service, price and availablity, etc). Not being able to open one as a gift isn't one of them.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#19 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Merry Christmas megamatt91! Don't you go killin nobody.

[spoiler] psn-card-1.jpgmspoints_4000.jpgwii-points-20061118032838390.jpgsteam-cards.jpg [/spoiler]

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

How about you forget so much about giving and getting material gifts and give your time, your energy and your love? I hate Christmas because of the rush to purchase crap.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

How about you forget so much about giving and getting material gifts and give your time, your energy and your love? I hate Christmas because of the rush to purchase crap.

PC_Otter

Yea, but taking the time to think of what someone would like, taking the time to go out and find it, buy it, and wrap it demonstrates your time, energy and love. I find cash and giftcards (though the latter to a lesser extent) to be relatively thoughtless presents.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="PC_Otter"]

MirkoS77

Yea, but taking the time to think of what someone would like, taking the time to go out and find it, buy it, and wrap it demonstrates your time, energy and love. I find cash and giftcards (though the latter to a lesser extent) to be relatively thoughtless presents.

But they're so much more practical. I don't have the time or energy needed to be able to track down an individual gift for everyone.
rannoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rannoni
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

PC_Otter
How dare u talk down on CAPITALISMS greatest days!!!!!! I do agree with u though... But if we go DD only, how will the CE be in the future..
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="MegaMatt91"]

MegaMatt91

So you think everyone's parents is going to create a steam account rather than go to the store, buy it, wrap it and actually enjoy their kid opening their presents? This isn't restricted to kids by the way. I'm 21 and still get given games as presents and love opening them. This will thankfully be a long long way off anyway. Heaps of gamers still don't have a HDTV or broadband according to various sources including cliffy b from epic games.

you can buy games on steam and gift them to other accounts :|

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 toddx77
Member since 2008 • 3395 Posts

MegaMatt91

EXACTLY. That is just how I feel. I don't get why people would rather a download button rather than a new game with awesome box art, smells great, and looks great when you build up a big collection of games. I feel like I have got my money's worth when I can actually see what I bought.

My main reason is space. I have so much games, manga, comics, graphic novels, blu rays, and dvd's I was running out of space. When I switched to PC gaming back in 2010 I didn't plan on using steam for everything but after I used it once I loved it. I loved having all my games in one place with no box taking up space. Yes it sucks when I don't have the box for a game when a voice actor in it is at an anime con but I do buy the retail copy for games that require steam or origin since it does offer faster installation. Same with my comics. I buy the combo packs so I have both physical and digital and that way if needed I can sell off the physical copies in the future. With manga I buy whatever I can from the viz app because manga is what was taking up most of my shelf space. I hardly buy new american comics right away in digital only since I refuse to pay $4 for digital only when print is the same price. Books I always buy from the kindle store.

Also the price is usually cheaper for games if you buy digitial. I often wait for steam sales and I have so much money. Comixolgy is always having sales on issues and viz sometimes does sales but usually their manga is always a few bucks cheaper digital. Also it is just more convient for me to do some things digital. I still buy movies and tv shows physically but for games, books, and manga I love having them digital. With comics I still try to buy the combo packs, but right now for me digital works great since I am living abroad and having all my games digital I didn't have to worry about brining all these cd's with me. Also I can still buy books and manga from kindle and viz plus my parents send me the codes from the comic book back in the US and I am able to redeem them while over here.

I wil say though I do not want there to be a day where it is digital only and I never want to see cloud gaming become the norm.. People should have the choice to buy physical or digital and digital should be seen as a choice of convience and not the future. I understand some people may like opening games which is true even for me but I would rather just download it to my hard drive from steam. Plus kids can open other things like toys, dvd's, board games, clothes they want, consoles, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Kids shouldn't be playing videogames. Video games are for people that grew up in the 80s and 90s. These people are adults now. Please keep kids out of discussion as they have no reason playing games.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I think it's a fairly valid complaint, especially if you have children or a wife who actively refuses to purchase gift cards as a present.