Solution to a lot of online matchmaking systems

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Laughing_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Laughing_God
Member since 2008 • 473 Posts

In most games, the match pairing system is messed up making it almost impossible for new players to win. I thought of a solution that might fix this problem. Everytime you play online, the system would always pair you up against someone thats a lower rank than you, that way you'll have a good chance of winning.

Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
That could work. Unless you were the lowest ranked player in the world, in whcih case you could never get into a game. Seriously though I prefer not having a matchmaking system in place and just have all random matches.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
It's by playing with/against stronger players that you get better
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
if you only fight lesser opponents, how are you to rank up?
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
if you only fight lesser opponents, how are you to rank up?BiancaDK
Spamkill them for XP, duh.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here but that makes no sense at all.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The only problem with most match-making systems now is you get randomly put in games with people from too far away sometimes, and then you get a bunch of lag. They should match people who are closer to each other, geographically, when they can. Half the time I end up in some match from Japan or somewhere really far away.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Increased skill comes with practice against tougher opponents.
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

This won't work because of the way ranking systems are in games now. You could be ranked 15 and match up against someone who's level 50 and you could be far better than them, they get XP just for playing, regardless if they're any good or not, they could be a higher rank just because they've put a considerable amount of hours into the game.

If games used the mgo or older halo leveling system this could work. But now levels have nothing to do with skill. When I play cod against players who are several prestige's in I still do really well. But when I played mgo and I was hovering between the 10-12 range, players who were around 15 would slaughter me. Even when I was a few hundred hours into the mgo, playing it all the time, I would still get wrecked by people who were levels 14-15.

In the older ranking style system you would get more XP from playing well against higher leveled players. But if you do just ok against players who are lower levels than you then you would go down in rank. Do poorly against players lower than you and your rank will start to drop pretty fast. There was no leveling up like you see today, it was a scale that could go up and down depending on your performance.

This simply cannot work with the way leveling systems are in nearly every game these days, if not every game.