So who is buying Rage 2?!

Posted by mrbojangles25 (43748 posts) 7 days, 7 hours ago

Poll: So who is buying Rage 2?! (31 votes)

Pre-order! 10%
I will, after release 29%
Depends on the score (maybe) 19%
Nah, not me. 42%

Just curious.

I generally do not pre-order games these days, but I am really desperate for a good, single-player shooter right now so, I am giving serious thought to purchasing it so I can play it bright and early Tuesday morning.

I wonder how it will be. TBH I am one of the few people it seems that actually liked the original Rage.

Avalanche is also a good developer; with the exception of Just Cause 4 (which iirc was handed to their "B-Team", much like ME: Andromeda was handed to Bioware's "B-team") I have enjoyed most of their games.

Looking forward to it. The driving aspect of it was honestly not a big selling point to me, but after watching some gameplay footage of it, the car combat looks really fun!

#1 Posted by Xtasy26 (5394 posts) -

I am looking forward to it. The problem is I never finished Rage 1 which I want to. Any ideas how long it will take to finish Rage 1. I have finished about I would say half-dozen missions and I have my buggy.

#2 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43748 posts) -

@Xtasy26 said:

I am looking forward to it. The problem is I never finished Rage 1 which I want to. Any ideas how long it will take to finish Rage 1. I have finished about I would say half-dozen missions and I have my buggy.

I don't remember it being all that long. Maybe 15 hours?

*My play time according to Steam is 9 hours.

#3 Posted by RSM-HQ (8208 posts) -

As someone who hyped D00M (IV) to hell while everyone on the forums gushed over Fallout 4, I picked

"Nah, not me"

And same goes for D00M(V): Eternal, both for slightly different reasons; which I've already mentioned in past threads on GD.

I'm more interested in the full release of Ion Maiden honestly in 2019.

#4 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18670 posts) -

Nah don't think so... doesn't really appeal to me.

#5 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4766 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: Rage was fun for me too. However, it just isn't the right time for me to be buying 60 dollar games. Also I still have Mad Max to play in my collection. It's gathering digital dust at the moment.

#6 Posted by watercrack445 (1433 posts) -

Rage 2 is actually looking pretty good. I like the visuals and there's lots of variety of enemies. It has also has a story and good supporting cast. I like how It's trying aim for that silliness in Borderland games.

#7 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43748 posts) -

@watercrack445 said:

Rage 2 is actually looking pretty good. I like the visuals and there's lots of variety of enemies. It has also has a story and good supporting cast. I like how It's trying aim for that silliness in Borderland games.

That's kind of what I like about it too.

Sounds like there are four (or more?) enemy factions in the game, which is cool, especially if they're all kind of different.

And I really enjoy the overall style as well; you got this post-apocalyptic sci-fi setting--futuristic buildings set in a "badlands" style wasteland--but then you have this "bubblegum punk" feel to it. Plus, it's not all dessert like a lot of post-apocalyptic games are; there's cities, jungles, etc.

#8 Posted by Xtasy26 (5394 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Xtasy26 said:

I don't remember it being all that long. Maybe 15 hours?

*My play time according to Steam is 9 hours.

That's not that bad. Considering that it's an open world game with multiple missions. I expected 20+ hours easily.

#9 Posted by robert_sparkes (2906 posts) -

I'm looking to get it but not day one can see it dropping in price fairly quickly.

#10 Edited by warmblur (2127 posts) -

I preordered it the gameplay looks really fun. I liked the original Rage for what it was it's funny the most memorable thing about the first game for me was the Breaking Bad Easter eggs needless to say Rage 2 looks like a huge improvement over the first game. The weapon variety and powers look really cool I'm hoping to create some unique combos.

#11 Posted by Archangel3371 (27551 posts) -

I’d like to get it sometime later on down the road as it does look to be some pretty good fun. There’s some other stuff I’d like to get first though.

#12 Posted by uninspiredcup (32731 posts) -

It's a Steam sale. Can see it getting very repetitive.

#13 Posted by Macutchi (6693 posts) -

i've been going through a phase of hankering for good sp fps these past couple of months. it's a genre largely in the doldrums and has been for some time afaic. i've been waiting for a price drop for exodus for ages but its not budged from £50 on amazon since released and i'm not paying fp.

played through some oldies but goodies like fear and the early cods, titanfall 2 and just started to replay doom over the weekend. the idea of an open world shooter with doom style mechanics is appealing, it's the open world aspect and the likelihood of grind that's off putting to me. i'll wait for reviews before deciding what to do but it's got 6-8, with the occasional 9, across the board written all over it. hope to be proven wrong

#14 Posted by speedytimsi (925 posts) -

I figured i might as well. 20% off + $10 gift certificate from Best Buy for a PC release is a nice deal.

#15 Edited by Litchie (23682 posts) -

I really want a new good FPS to play on PC, but Rage 2 does not look worth 60 bucks. Especially not if it's getting DLC. I'm thinking 30 would be a good price, so I plan to wait a bit to get it for ~30 on a cdkey website. Will probably happen a few weeks from release.

#16 Posted by DaVillain- (35989 posts) -

To be honest, I'm more interest buying Doom Eternal because I love the hell out of Doom 2016 and Rage 2 doesn't interest me to say the least, but I thought about buying it for only $40 from CDKey.

As far as shooter goes this year, I'm only eyeing on Doom Eternal & Borderlands 3. (BL3 I'm being very skeptical until I see the reviews for it first)

#17 Posted by Sevenizz (3592 posts) -

Looks like they’re going for a Fortnite crowd with this game. Probably a smart marketing move. But it’s not my thing. I’ll pass. Never even played the first game.

#18 Edited by Litchie (23682 posts) -
@Sevenizz said:

Looks like they’re going for a Fortnite crowd with this game.

Rage 2, an open world single-player FPS goes after the Battle Royale multiplayer TPS crowd?

..what?

#19 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43748 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

Looks like they’re going for a Fortnite crowd with this game. Probably a smart marketing move. But it’s not my thing. I’ll pass. Never even played the first game.

Umm what?

No BR mode...

...no cel-shaded cartoon visuals...

...no base-building...

...no multiplayer...

...no microtransactions.

How is it similar?

#20 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43748 posts) -

Meh, scored a six here. Not bad and about what I was expecting.

What is disappointing is that it sounds like yet another boring open-world experience. I might wait for a sale on this one.

Of special concern is this bit:

the game is trying to strike a balance between the nonchalant badassery of Doom and the larger-than-life characterizations of Wolfenstein, and missing the mark on both ends of the spectrum leaves it directionless. As a result, it's hard to care about what you're doing in the world without much intrigue or a sensible thread to weave all your standard open-world activities together.

It's not so much that I dislike open-world games, it just seems like most of them are simply open world for the sake of being open world, and I really dislike that whole "why? Because we can" attitude.

I've got plenty of games to hold me over until the Steam Summer or Winter sale.

#21 Posted by RSM-HQ (8208 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Sevenizz said:

Umm what?

No BR mode...

...no cel-shaded cartoon visuals...

...no base-building...

...no multiplayer...

...no microtransactions.

How is it similar?

Sevenizz has a history of odd-ball posts that make zero sense. I wouldn't pay it much mind.

#22 Edited by warmblur (2127 posts) -

I'm still buying it don't give a damn about the GS review can't wait to play tomorrow. I trust ACG and GGGmanlives in their reviews even IGN gave it a 8. I love Mad Max and Doom so this is right up my alley I don't care if the story is bland it's the gameplay that matters the most to me.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
#23 Posted by GettingonwithGamingLife (221 posts) -

Might do.

#24 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43748 posts) -

@warmblur said:

I'm still buying it don't give a damn about the GS review can't wait to play tomorrow. I trust ACG and GGGmanlives in their reviews even IGN gave it a 8. I love Mad Max and Doom so this is right up my alley I don't care if the story is bland it's the gameplay that matters the most to me.

Haha! Your optimism and positive outlook just changed my mind back to "will buy"

#25 Posted by with_teeth26 (9468 posts) -

I think i'll get it this week. expecting some dumb fun but nothing too special

#26 Edited by Ish_basic (4970 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

Haha! Your optimism and positive outlook just changed my mind back to "will buy"

their last review of an open world game (Days Gone) was pretty off the mark, imo. I generally can't finish open world stuff as I'm not a fan of the genre, but DG was pretty fun. The fan average (8) was pretty spot on for it, so maybe look at that with Rage 2 instead.

I don't really like Mad Max post apocalypse style stuff, so I haven't been that interested in this game. Plan to watch a few streams by regular gamers, though, so I can get in-context gameplay, a sense of the gunplay, level design and quest mechanics, without having to try to figure that out by reconstructing the words of a reviewer who may or may not like the kinds of games I do.

#27 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43748 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

their last review of an open world game (Days Gone) was pretty off the mark, imo. I generally can't finish open world stuff as I'm not a fan of the genre, but DG was pretty fun. The fan average (8) was pretty spot on for it, so maybe look at that with Rage 2 instead.

I don't really like Mad Max post apocalypse style stuff, so I haven't been that interested in this game. Plan to watch a few streams by regular gamers, though, so I can get in-context gameplay, a sense of the gunplay, level design and quest mechanics, without having to try to figure that out by reconstructing the words of a reviewer who may or may not like the kinds of games I do.

Yeah it's less the "6" score it received as it is the actual content of the review.

I was a huge Just Cause fan (the other big Avalanche franchise), but their most recent one JC4 was a total disservice to the series. A lot of what the reviewer wrote seemed like it was pulled from my thoughts about JC4.

With that said, Rage 2 sounds like it actually has good gameplay and honestly I just need a half-decent single-player FPS right now, feels like ages since there has been a good one released. Feels like the last one I played was the most recent Wolfenstein.

#28 Posted by SOedipus (11392 posts) -

I think that Ghosts has it pre-ordered.

#29 Posted by RSM-HQ (8208 posts) -

On quite the role guessing games success or decline recently.

Rage 2 seems more or less what I expected. Very Borderlands, shallow 'pew pew' openworld game with edgy sound effects. On Metacritic seems to be holding a 76; respectable. Same score as Bethesdas other shallow sandbox The Elder Scrolls Online, such a high honor indeed.

@SOedipus said:

I think that Ghosts has it pre-ordered.

Nah, I assume just one ghost? Pinky

#30 Posted by warmblur (2127 posts) -

FYI the game released early on Steam I'm unpacking the files now.

#31 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43748 posts) -

@warmblur said:

FYI the game released early on Steam I'm unpacking the files now.

Playing it now. Got a couple hours in.

It's pretty fun!

It has moments of DOOM in it; fast-paced, reaction-based shooting mechanics. The open world is pretty great; it's not the prettiest game, but it is fun to drive around in. Bases, Arks, and other things are fun to storm and take over.

It does seem like a game that is sort of at war with itself, can't find it's identity; on one hand, it is fast paced, but on the other hand you're stopping every five minutes to look at a map, find something to do, upgrade equipment, or talk to people. It's definitely a game that would have benefit from a more focused level design, slightly more linear, less open-world. But whatever, still fun.

I'm playing on PC, controls are a little weird, but I haven't bothered to look into rebinding them yet. Having to press a modifier key (ctrl, in this case) to use any power is a little weird. I'll have to see if I can change that around, if there is a doubt-tap option for dodging, for example.

#32 Edited by Dolonesper (6 posts) -

I will wait for a review from the community, I have already made too many mistakes in my life.

My first unsuccessful purchase is Battlefront on PS4 - I do not like the FPS on the pad at all. The second unsuccessful purchase was Escape From Tarkov (Escape from Tarkov is a different story, because EFT has been available for quite a while.) I paid about 40 Euro and played the game 4 times. Since then, EFT is the least used icon on my desktop.)

The same happened to me when I bought FO76 preorder and I do not have a grudge when someone calls me a fool for that reason.

No more preorders

#33 Edited by DaVillain- (35989 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: I change my mind. Looking at CDKey for only $40, I just couldn't past this deal and I watch several gameplays on YouTube, I'm gonna go ahead play it with an open mind. I'll return later and past my thoughts.

#34 Posted by Solaryellow (4801 posts) -

IDK. I just don't know. Between still playing the story in RDR2 and very possibly purchasing the new Sonic racer next week I don't know. The Castlevania collection comes out in a few days too. This is a tough month not monetarily but time wise.

#35 Posted by iambatman7986 (2763 posts) -

I'll personally be skipping this one. It just does not look like my cup of tea.

#36 Posted by cejay0813 (1453 posts) -

Bought it digital of all things. The game is fun and very Doom-esque with a slightly better plot.

#37 Edited by warmblur (2127 posts) -

I actually refunded the game this morning I'm just not feeling it maybe I'll pick it up when it's on sale I think it has to do with me being in a shitty mood today more then anything.

#38 Posted by Ish_basic (4970 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Ish_basic said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

Yeah it's less the "6" score it received as it is the actual content of the review.

I was a huge Just Cause fan (the other big Avalanche franchise), but their most recent one JC4 was a total disservice to the series. A lot of what the reviewer wrote seemed like it was pulled from my thoughts about JC4.

With that said, Rage 2 sounds like it actually has good gameplay and honestly I just need a half-decent single-player FPS right now, feels like ages since there has been a good one released. Feels like the last one I played was the most recent Wolfenstein.

yeah, i just meant "seek alternate opinions." The text review of DG here was very misleading (thanks to an egregious lack of detail) and often ambiguous as to whether the writer was criticizing DG or the open world genre in general.

I watched a 3 hour stream and came away more interested than I started. Probably not enough to buy it right now because I've been on a story fix lately and it doesn't seem to scratch that itch, but the combat looked undeniably fun thanks to creative abilities and some really visceral gibbing and ragdoll. It really does seem like an open world Doom 2016, which is great, imo, because I love that game. Strikes me as more of an action fix than an immersive experience, which is will be great later, just not what I want right now.

#39 Posted by henrythefifth (2194 posts) -

I was going to buy it for the open world exploration... but many reviews say the open world is empty with nothing to do, so I guess its a pass.

I did love Mad Max tho, especially the exploration. Great game, that.

#40 Posted by Raining51 (800 posts) -

Not me thi sis an overall down month no way about it.

#41 Edited by warmblur (2127 posts) -

Well I changed my mind again lol and bought it on Steam I feel better today and I'm ready to play.

#42 Posted by CTR360 (8665 posts) -

after the price drop i buy it

#43 Edited by warmblur (2127 posts) -

Well I got 13 hours in the game and I don't regret buying it's actually starting to feel like a cult classic to me no BS. I love the atmosphere in the game the world may be empty in alot of areas but that doesn't bother me as much as it did in Mafia 3 for some reason. The guns sound amazing especially the assault rifle love hearing the bullet shells hitting the ground. I will say it again but the atmosphere in the game is so good it reminds a tad of that old Prey 2 demo E3 2011.

#44 Posted by Ish_basic (4970 posts) -

@warmblur: Well I got 13 hours in the game and I don't regret buying it's actually starting to feel like a cult classic to me no BS. I love the atmosphere in the game the world may be empty in alot of areas but that doesn't bother me as much as it did in Mafia 3 for some reason.

maybe because it's the apocalypse and emptiness makes sense. I used to say the lifelessness of the NPCs in Bethesda games bothered me in Elder Scrolls, but actually worked for me in Fallout. One of those things where maybe the subject matter makes a deficiency tolerable...like fog in Silent Hill.