So, what's your favorite RPG character class?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vieo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vieo
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

What's your favorite RPG character class?

Forme, it would be Paladin. I love Paladins and always choose them when given the chance to do so in RPGs. Paladins get to wield awesome blessed two-handed swords, they will stare a dragon down without getting afraid, and they have a diety watching their back. They also get spiffy armor, shields, and optional warhammers.

Paladins rock.

edit:lolhowdidthathappen?

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#2 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

I know the spacing in the forums is messed up... but you have to have made that post looking like that on purpose.

anyways my favorite is Thief or Assassin, usually any kind of stealthy character that kills from the dark and robs things

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts
Bard. Jack of all trades - varied skillset, usually some neat utility magic, and great tools for roleplaying in ways that will confound your DM. Of course, this is from playing pen and paper D&D where you really use the non-combat oriented abilities. In video gaming RPGs, the most important thing is usually how big a fireball you can launch, which is definetly not the bard's strong point.
dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts

I know the spacing in the forums is messed up... but you have to have made that post looking like that on purpose.

anyways my favorite is Thief or Assassin, usually any kind of stealthy character that kills from the dark and robs things

smerlus

me to :D

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Black Mage/Wizard. It's the main reason why I have Vivi as my avatar. :)
toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 toment
Member since 2005 • 8396 Posts
Any type of magic user. Offensive/defensive casters or healers, I love em' all:)
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts

I am usually draw to the animal/pet classes.
Be it rangers that can tame companions or shaman that can summon animal spirits

dreamachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dreamachine
Member since 2003 • 2071 Posts
theives and assassins do for me... in D&D stuff anyway. for stuff like FF i always prefer the mages over everything else
gamefreak781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 gamefreak781
Member since 2007 • 392 Posts
Assasins because I love sneaking around
Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Zagrius
Member since 2002 • 3820 Posts
Red Mage-like characters. They usually have some class (no pun intended) and have a bit of everything when it comes to combat.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Oh my, that's a stalemate between Black Mage and Dragon Warrior Hero. Black Mage is up here because he looks cool and gets the job done. DWH is up here for the same reason.
the_mad_madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_mad_madman
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts

The Wild Mage subclass in Baldur's Gate. It makes every spell you cast a gamble, sometimes it pays off better than you could ever except, a magic missile has a spell surge and becomes a chain lightning for example, or bad... errr, acidentally lighting yourself on fight, summoning demons, firballs into the middle of your group...

Gotta love em. Plus they technically get the most high level spell slots in the game, it's just... err, they don't always end up as the spell you meant to cast. I once made it start raining cows, that was awkward considering I'd been hoping for a meteor storm.

Zorgol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zorgol
Member since 2004 • 114 Posts
Well, i like the classic warrior/fighter/guy with big sword type of fellows/ladies. Allthough it can be fun to play unusal classes like Rangers or Bards or something like that too.
luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 luno-gamer
Member since 2007 • 405 Posts
warrior! Lots of RPG's have a lot of different things you can do like magic and different skills and things you can use...I don't like that. I like to focus more on brute force and combat with a weapon. And I like to choose a specific type of weapon to train most with and master all of its aspects. Swords are my favorite. (except in star war's case it would be lightsabers) All the different kinds of magic and skills...not for me. I keep it simple so I can be great at that one thing instead of being okay with lots of other things.
Mexaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mexaman
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

warrior! Lots of RPG's have a lot of different things you can do like magic and different skills and things you can use...I don't like that. I like to focus more on brute force and combat with a weapon. And I like to choose a specific type of weapon to train most with and master all of its aspects. Swords are my favorite. (except in star war's case it would be lightsabers) All the different kinds of magic and skills...not for me. I keep it simple so I can be great at that one thing instead of being okay with lots of other things.luno-gamer

Same here. I find melee is the best form of offense. It is also the easiest to train with.Go with full heavy armor, a sword and a shield. The only magic (depends on RPG) I use would be for healing and that is it. An all out charge with a powerful character will win the fight.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Give me a damn sword, some dingy armor, 5000 quarts of ale to last me the quest and half a dozen lusty bar wenchs per night! FIGHTER BABY!!! Since I like to drink, can somewhat sword fight and im a ass in real life, I like to make a medevial version of myself. And then my next play through I like to play a female mage or something to have a different experience, but hitting things until they stop moving is my favorite.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Usually a spellcaster/blademaster/archer. I like to have a diverse arsenal of techniques and abilities to use so if I'm in a locked room with superpowered enemies, I can sneak past them to get the stuff done or fight them and see if I can hold my own.

After a while, I really just hack, slash, and special attack.

Teuvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Teuvan
Member since 2003 • 10151 Posts
Usually either warrior or insert-healing-class-here. I'm extremely good at healing, and in MMORPG's it's always stupidly easy for healers to find groups. Although I generally enjoy it, I can get a little bored with it depending on how the game handles healing. With warriors, I like the fact that they usually have the most barebones skillsets, but can be the most interesting to play. Plus I like them the best by far when it comes to roleplaying. And when I say roleplaying, I don't mean the goddamn "doth art seeketh" crap that most idiots do.
Etheralfayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Etheralfayt
Member since 2004 • 477 Posts
I perfer high damaging weapon type a** kickin classes i.e. Samurai, ninja, warrior, but I also like Theives
Momo-yan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Momo-yan
Member since 2007 • 444 Posts

I like playing Thieves, the money reassures me (^.^) Except for the amount of time wasted to very very slooowly haul the loot away. Either thieves, or offensive magic users.

I'm starting to like fighter types now though...so much easier...

trigun3x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 trigun3x
Member since 2004 • 1987 Posts
always loved the rogue or the warrior's, either big damage givers or tanks, love being in the combat, hate sitting back
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I prefer a simple character one that just fights with a sword, katana, or a basic firearm,nothing fancy, not a noble, nor a powerful warrior or magic user. So basically, the lowest class that use these weapons.

I always entertained the idea of a lower class nobody becoming a hero.

toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 toment
Member since 2005 • 8396 Posts
Give me a damn sword, some dingy armor, 5000 quarts of ale to last me the quest and half a dozen lusty bar wenchs per night! FIGHTER BABY!!! Since I like to drink, can somewhat sword fight and im a ass in real life, I like to make a medevial version of myself. And then my next play through I like to play a female mage or something to have a different experience, but hitting things until they stop moving is my favorite.GodModeEnabled
LARP much?

:P
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19591 Posts

Mages/sorcerors for most RPGs - they're usually the most formidable and versatile characters, even if they are the weakest.

Also, they usually have the highest intelligence, which often help in dialogue.

*Edit* Now that you mention it, user-below-me, I really should get back to my fancy priss rapier wielder in NWN 2. He's even got a flamboyant hat! :P

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Give me a damn sword, some dingy armor, 5000 quarts of ale to last me the quest and half a dozen lusty bar wenchs per night! FIGHTER BABY!!! Since I like to drink, can somewhat sword fight and im a ass in real life, I like to make a medevial version of myself. And then my next play through I like to play a female mage or something to have a different experience, but hitting things until they stop moving is my favorite.toment
LARP much?

:P

Ssssh I need no more notches in my pure geekery belt! This is real life, I got in a sword fight just the other day when I was ambushed by a one legged hobo on my way to work. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! *swoosh* *head rolls*
Serge-Chrono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Serge-Chrono
Member since 2007 • 691 Posts
Black mage, what if we can't take a lot of hits, the enemy will be dead by the time they reach us.
killeer2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 killeer2007
Member since 2004 • 793 Posts
Offensive magic user. Look at the warrior with all his metal armor -thunderbolt- warrior dead.:P
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Whatever a class with high charisma and intelligence would be called. Diplomat maybe?
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#30 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

In MMORPGs I'm always a support job mostly because I hate waiting for parties, but also I'm just not confident in other people to keep me alive. I'm that much better than everyone else as a healer in FFXI and Everquest. Besides it takes a great healer/support to keep the team together.

But when I'm on my own in like a single player RPG, I'll take someone with a sword with minimal magic (usually healing) and just wade in and dice and slice away.

Serge-Chrono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Serge-Chrono
Member since 2007 • 691 Posts

In MMORPGs I'm always a support job mostly because I hate waiting for parties, but also I'm just not confident in other people to keep me alive. I'm that much better than everyone else as a healer in FFXI and Everquest. Besides it takes a great healer/support to keep the team together.

But when I'm on my own in like a single player RPG, I'll take someone with a sword with minimal magic (usually healing) and just wade in and dice and slice away.

SemiMaster

I was a Whm/Blm in FFXi and I hated it, hated it, hated, hated it! It takes a lot of skill to keep a party alive and honestly, I just can't watch Hp guages for THAT long. XD

Avatar image for lilburtonboy748
lilburtonboy748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lilburtonboy748
Member since 2007 • 2536 Posts
Fighter class usually, or ranger.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#33 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I like getting my hands dirty, wading into a group of enemies and beating the living hell out of them while shrugging off their attacks. If there is a warrior or barbarian class I'll usually take it, and I'm particularly fond of speed and dual-wielding, though not at the expense of armor or anything.

In case it's not clear, these were my choice characters in these games:

Baldur's Gate II - Dual sword wielding anti-mage fighter
World of Warcraft - Fury warrior, dual-wielding those zul'gurub blades (while I played, anyway)
Guild Wars - Warrior/Ranger with an axe, charging in and poisoning everyone in sight.
Diablo II - Dual-wielding barbarian (swords, usually). Of course.

Likewise, in pretty much every other RPG imaginable I went with a character who enjoyed taking something heavy and smacking other people with it. I have little room for subtlety. :P

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SemiMaster
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

Serge-Chrono

I was a Whm/Blm in FFXi and I hated it, hated it, hated, hated it! It takes a lot of skill to keep a party alive and honestly, I just can't watch Hp guages for THAT long. XD

Well, I am attentive, and am only confident in myself to keep myself alive among others. Besides, it keeps me on my toes... with something like...oh say monk or ranger, just mash your attack button, maybe use Chi blast or something.

But like I said, I was good at it, and hate waiting for parties.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

For me, if I had to choose a favorite style of class, it would be more along the lines of the Bard, or other support focus team member that isn't strictly a healer.The rationale is that while the bard isn't that great on his/her own, he makes the rest of the team stronger by being around, and offering perks in the form of bard songs and the such (especially with some of the perks offered in the Complete Adventurer expansion book, like awesome bard prestige classes).

Otherwise, one of my favorite style of characters to play is a rather alternative sort of support character, a Divination focused Wizard-type, due to the support granted by being able to research and understand a wide range of topics to give that sort of backing support. It also helps if you have a character with spells like Comprehend Languages and Tongues permanently casted on himself, so he can read, speak, and understand any language. ;)

Anyone else out there who likes more support based characters, or concepts regarding alternative styles of support characters?

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SemiMaster

I had to choose a favorite style of class

Skylock00

ZOMG hax! Must be mod power to be able to write those words without being sensored... that or I suck.

And as far as your last statement, yes, I play White Mage/ Red Mage in FFXI and tried to do enchanter and shaman in Everquest. They kinda suck at the start, but boy, are those guys some of the most powerful classes end game.

But if you let me play an open ended game like Oblivion, I just go for the best abilities of all, like sword, heavy armor, healing, destruction, etc... Why gimp yourself with "less useful" abilities?

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
The D&D style cleric. Bringing down righteous vengence while equipped with plate mail and a big heavy mace.
sadiztik26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sadiztik26
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Anybody skilled with a sword, or sometimes an archer. I'm not big into magic stuff, I like hand to hand, or sword to sword for that matter, type combat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 190586385885857957282413308806

So far the games with the best thieving experience for me are Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights... Morrowind was fun pick pocketing, breaking into houses and stealing things...

Neverwinter Nights made a rogue/shadowdancer/assassin almost invincible.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GodModeEnabled

For me, if I had to choose a favorite style of class, it would be more along the lines of the Bard, or other support focus team member that isn't strictly a healer.The rationale is that while the bard isn't that great on his/her own, he makes the rest of the team stronger by being around, and offering perks in the form of bard songs and the such (especially with some of the perks offered in the Complete Adventurer expansion book, like awesome bard prestige classes).

Otherwise, one of my favorite style of characters to play is a rather alternative sort of support character, a Divination focused Wizard-type, due to the support granted by being able to research and understand a wide range of topics to give that sort of backing support. It also helps if you have a character with spells like Comprehend Languages and Tongues permanently casted on himself, so he can read, speak, and understand any language. ;)

Anyone else out there who likes more support based characters, or concepts regarding alternative styles of support characters?

Skylock00
Regarding playing DnD with friends a Bard is one of the best characters to have in my opinion. Say if there are four or five you than a bard is a perfect fit almost all the time. Especially in third edition rules with so many great spells to choose from, you can take a bit of healing magic and help the cleric out, you can take spells like cats grace to up your dexterity and carry a bow as your main weapon, invisibilty and other illusion spells to compliment your nice theiving skills, or you can carry a sword and some light armor and melee from time to time too. Being the most versistile class is the biggest benefit to the bard altogether as you have something for every situation. In games lke NWN though where its just you and one NPC I feel playing a bard is really underpowered and underwhelming compared to the other class choices.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GodModeEnabled

So far the games with the best thieving experience for me are Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights... Morrowind was fun pick pocketing, breaking into houses and stealing things...

smerlus
You know what does that though? Hide in plain sight, its basically invisibilty anytime you want *hide in plain sight- sneak attack-death*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="smerlus"]

GodModeEnabled

You know what does that though? Hide in plain sight, its basically invisibilty anytime you want *hide in plain sight- sneak attack-death*

yep... I made a killer character that duel wields short swords plus is proficient with a short bow, can summon and Epic Shadow Lord.

I remember when i was in one server and this wizard and a barbarian picked a fight with me... they last thing they whined about was how unfair it was that i can disappear... i just told them to put their big girl panties on and stop crying that i'm using my abilities.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="smerlus"]

smerlus

yep... I made a killer character that duel wields short swords plus is proficient with a short bow, can summon and Epic Shadow Lord.

I remember when i was in one server and this wizard and a barbarian picked a fight with me... they last thing they whined about was how unfair it was that i can disappear... i just told them to put their big girl panties on and stop crying that i'm using my abilities.

Yeah about the only person that can stop a character like that is one of my killer wizards, and thats only if I get protection spells up quick enough, otherwise its splat time. I stand firm that if you know what spells to take and what you are doing with a high level wizard you can stop anything. High level fighter is probably the worst to be in that game. When I get onboard the gaming pc lovetrain later we will have to have some duels and see!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 190586385885857957282413308806

I've played with my character so much that I was able to buy all the upgrades to his weapons that were availible in Hordes of the Underdark... now when I try to play my character online, it says it's a cheap character.

and i snatched up all the profiency in the bows and bought all the upgrades for that so that a wizard can't cast his spells, plus I have a bunch of very powerful traps to lay around...

it's a pretty solid character but you're right, only a spell caster would be able to beat me.

KhanhAgE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KhanhAgE
Member since 2004 • 1345 Posts

I love playing healers. Great fun in a group but tough when you have to solo.

I also enjoy the assassin and pet classes.