So what's wrong with Remasters games all of a sudden?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56041 Posts

Whenever I see news on game sites like Gamespot post news about games getting remasters, it's always the negative feedbacks from gamers who complaints about remasters this/that, okay I get it, but those remastered games are for those who miss out last-gen and wanted to play the better version for this gen, what's the big deal now I ask? We are still getting new IP games, these remaster games are just a bonus though. After seeing the latest news on remaster games like Dead Island Definitive Collection and Batman Arkham HD Collection very few were cool happy to hear this news, other were unhappy about it. So this bring to my question, is having more and more remaster games are now becoming a problem now despite we're still getting more new IP games?

(Also for the record, I'm totally looking forward to Dead Island Collection cause I really enjoy the Dead Island games from last-gen, so I'll be getting that on PS4)

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Nothing is wrong about it, But some seem to have gotten the notion in their head that Remastered games are going to take over and there won't be released any new IP's.

It's more or less just trival whining over a company taking a economically safer route with remastering a game that sold well, rather then the more risky route of creating a brand new IP every time and risk the sales revenue be less then the cost of creating the game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58860 Posts

Depends on the quality, Publishers are notoriously lazy bastards.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

I don't mind remasters for the most part. It's when they arrive shortly after the original games release that I find bothersome.

Scholar of the First Sin for example was a big %#*@ you to the early investors. Same with The Last of Us. But that's just my opinion as someone who bought the originals then 11 months later am being told I was a glorified ßeta tester.

With that. 'most' remasters I have no issue with, as plenty of time has past. Playing classics is awesome and normally fair priced.

Razrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Razrabbit
Member since 2013 • 166 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Depends on the quality, Publishers are notoriously lazy bastards.

Seconding this as hard as I can.

I'm perfectly fine with remasters and remakes and re-releases on newer systems as long as its done properly, and not just some quickly ported pile of garbage.

SuperClocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SuperClocks
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

I've only played one remaster, Halo. The remake is awful, IMO. The audio is garbled and it somehow looks worse in many areas. How did someone think that it was acceptable to ruin the audio in a game with the greatest soundtrack in history?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44109 Posts

I don't have a problem with them myself in fact I really like them. As games take longer and longer to make plus more expensive this helps fill in the time between new game releases plus help bring in revenue. Most games I've already played originally but I still like picking up the remastered versions and every now and then I'll get a chance to pick up a game that I previously missed.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The concept of being against remasters is not new. This has been talked about at least as far back as the 7th generation.

If people are willing to pay for the same IPs year after year, that is their choice, but I think that younger gamers consistently like new cutting edge games instead of older games. A shiny coat of textures is sometimes not enough to improve the interaction with the game. I recall the Halo: Combat Evolved HD Remaster. The graphics are improved, but the game physics looked dated in comparison. As a result, I played with the original graphics for a little while then stopped playing altogether.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#9 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

They're mostly cheap cash grabs and don't really contribute anything to this current-gen. It just feels like this gen is being filled with games of the previous gen. Maybe in the grand scheme of things they don't affect much, but I still find them annoying for the most part.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I don't have issues with it! For those who do, "DON'T" buy them, nobody is putting a gun to your head. I just read today over at IGN that there could possibly be a re-release of the first 2 Arkham games! If true, I would love to see origins included, but there's seems to be alot of hate for that game but I actually liked it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator

@Archangel3371 said:

I don't have a problem with them myself in fact I really like them. As games take longer and longer to make plus more expensive this helps fill in the time between new game releases plus help bring in revenue. Most games I've already played originally but I still like picking up the remastered versions and every now and then I'll get a chance to pick up a game that I previously missed.

Pretty much this. I mean, we are still getting new games, it just takes time now due to the fact that PS4/Xbox One/Wii U games takes more time for developments, so I'm totally okay with remasters to fill in the gap.

@BranKetra said:

The concept of being against remasters is not new. This has been talked about at least as far back as the 7th generation.

If people are willing to pay for the same IPs year after year, that is their choice, but I think that younger gamers consistently like new cutting edge games instead of older games. A shiny coat of textures is sometimes not enough to improve the interaction with the game. I recall the Halo: Combat Evolved HD Remaster. The graphics are improved, but the game physics looked dated in comparison. As a result, I played with the original graphics for a little while then stopped playing altogether.

I can also agree to that as well with Halo CE remastered version. The game is still good but yeah, outdated for the most parts, it's still fun to revisit old games as times have passed though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58274 Posts

Nothing is wrong with remasters, my only problem with it is they're remastering games that are not that old; should just make the console backwards compatible. I mean we really need a remaster of PS3/X360 games?

Now, the new Battlezone remaster? That's a worthwhile remaster; game is like 18 or so years old, a classic a lot of current gamers missed out on. But Beyond: Two Souls? Did that really need to be remastered? Did The Last of Us really need a remaster?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10419 Posts

there's a few reasons

1. agree or disagree there's a strong feeling amongst some gamers that this gen has a disappointing lack of quality new IPs that will stand the test of time.

2. this feeling is aggravated by the dearth of remasters this gen which further breeds apathy towards the current gen and a degree of resentment that time developing them is time taken away from developing new games.

3. some of these remasters are seen as unnecessary or lacking in anything of any substance technical or otherwise that set them apart from their previous gen counterparts which amplifies the feeling of disappointment this gen, particularly when some are priced as full price or near games.

4. this lack of improvement / over -pricing is seen as a cynical cash grab by some, and further emphasises the feeling of bewilderment that previous gen support is not included as standard in the current gen consoles.

5. there's a lot of gamers who feel quite strongly about the above or certain points. unless it's a game they missed out on previously, in which case they're ok with them. so there's a degree of double standards / hypocrisy in people's views

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#14 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

@Macutchi: yep you got it

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Big deal? This has been a problem since this generation of consoles were released. When you release a next generation console, you expect next generation games and to see rehashed old games rereleased after a simple recompile.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@davillain- said:

Whenever I see news on game sites like Gamespot post news about games getting remasters, it's always the negative feedbacks from gamers who complaints about remasters this/that, okay I get it, but those remastered games are for those who miss out last-gen and wanted to play the better version for this gen, what's the big deal now I ask? We are still getting new IP games, these remaster games are just a bonus though. After seeing the latest news on remaster games like Dead Island Definitive Collection and Batman Arkham HD Collection very few were cool happy to hear this news, other were unhappy about it. So this bring to my question, is having more and more remaster games are now becoming a problem now despite we're still getting more new IP games?

(Also for the record, I'm totally looking forward to Dead Island Collection cause I really enjoy the Dead Island games from last-gen, so I'll be getting that on PS4)

Nothing is wrong with it, and some remasters are really good. Problem is though is that some are only cash-grabs and all the remaster means is that you can play it on the new console. And that is bad.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I think people are annoyed at the ones that have been half-assed. There has been a surge in them in the past few years so I can understand the evident frustration that can be seen online. Those are clearly cash-grabs and it's a slap on the face for fans. I simply buy the ones I want and ignore the rest. I bought some remasters where I still had the originals and were readily playable if I wanted. It's fun and fulfilling to replay the favorites with prettier graphics and better performance, or even unlocking trophies/achievements. I'm still waiting for the Onimusha remasters!

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Some gamers whine about everything that companies do that is not to their liking.

The whine when companies talk about raising the cost of game to offset the increase cost.

The whine when companies make extra content instead of raising the cost of game to offset the increase cost

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@Macutchi said:

there's a few reasons

1. agree or disagree there's a strong feeling amongst some gamers that this gen has a disappointing lack of quality new IPs that will stand the test of time.

2. this feeling is aggravated by the dearth of remasters this gen which further breeds apathy towards the current gen and a degree of resentment that time developing them is time taken away from developing new games.

3. some of these remasters are seen as unnecessary or lacking in anything of any substance technical or otherwise that set them apart from their previous gen counterparts which amplifies the feeling of disappointment this gen, particularly when some are priced as full price or near games.

4. this lack of improvement / over -pricing is seen as a cynical cash grab by some, and further emphasises the feeling of bewilderment that previous gen support is not included as standard in the current gen consoles.

5. there's a lot of gamers who feel quite strongly about the above or certain points. unless it's a game they missed out on previously, in which case they're ok with them. so there's a degree of double standards / hypocrisy in people's views

Almost exactly how I feel. I've bought a decent amount of the remasters so far, but never once paid full price. I think they do serve a purpose, as I had not played TLoU nor Uncharted 2 & 3(though I do own all 3 on the PS3), but I never felt that the games, even with the minor updates, were still $60 games. I wont pay more than $30 for a remaster, and prefer $20 or less.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

I don't mind remasters for the most part. It's when they arrive shortly after the original games release that I find bothersome.

Scholar of the First Sin for example was a big %#*@ you to the early investors. Same with The Last of Us. But that's just my opinion as someone who bought the originals then 11 months later am being told I was a glorified ßeta tester.

With that. 'most' remasters I have no issue with, as plenty of time has past. Playing classics is awesome and normally fair priced.

Pretty much this. Remasters the very next gen are a f you to the people who bought the original and a shameless money grab. Remasters/updates of stuff like punchout? not so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

Only thing wrong with it is the price. I pay full price twice for the same game. That is genuine bullshit.

Owners of the original game should be able to buy an upgrade for less money. I'd upgrade every time.

Erin_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Erin_Everett
Member since 2016 • 44 Posts
@SoNin360 said:

They're mostly cheap cash grabs and don't really contribute anything to this current-gen. It just feels like this gen is being filled with games of the previous gen. Maybe in the grand scheme of things they don't affect much, but I still find them annoying for the most part.

A good 80% of games developed for every gaming platform in every generation are games that contributed nothing to either their generation or the industry at large. A game doesn't have to push the industry forward to be good. That was true even before the question of re-released and remasters came up.

I'm just happy if I can play an older classic without having to deal with it looking ugly and blurry/jaggy on an HD flatscreen. It also means I have a way to legally buy those games while actually supporting the publisher and/or developer, as opposed to some random shlob on eBay.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

This is only an "internet problem". People in real life love remasters. Just ignore these whiny internet gamers.

These are the same people who claim PS4/xbone has zero games because in their warped minds ONLY exclusives count. LMAO

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#25 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I think remasters are great. Otherwise a lot of the games I enjoyed during my childhood would be lost forever. I'm not so inclined to play games like Dead Island in HD since it's still too recent but I am glad that it will be there a few years down the line when I'm feeling nostalgic.

And guys, remember that developers aren't stupid. They know they can't rely on remasters alone.

Erin_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Erin_Everett

@stuff238 said:

This is only an "internet problem". People in real life love remasters. Just ignore these whiny internet gamers.

These are the same people who claim PS4/xbone has zero games because in their warped minds ONLY exclusives count. LMAO

Or, you know, because hyperbole exists. That's a thing, too.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

@erin_everett said:
@stuff238 said:

PS4 has atrocious exclusives. Cor, my senses are warped!

Erin_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Erin_Everett

@Starshine_M2A2 said:
@erin_everett said:
@stuff238 said:

PS4 has atrocious exclusives. Cor, my senses are warped!

The problem is people are still trying to act like the mother-effing console wars are still a thing when both top-of-the-line consoles have the same things for the most part and PC does a lot of it potentially better (if you can shell out for the right parts and be tech-savvy enough to not fry them once they're in your rig). Console fans can't let go of the Good Old Days when having a specific console was really a gateway to a LOT of very specific good games. It hasn't really been that way since the PlayStation 2, GameCube, original Xbox, and (sort of) the Dreamcast, though. The industry is less platform-segregated now. Choosing between consoles just ends up being a case of choosing between a relatively small handful of games that other platforms don't have. Arguably, the PC is the choice among the three with the best exclusives.

I'm not counting the Wii U in that statement because the darn thing's so far off in its own little world at this point that it may as well not be competing with the others in the first place. Maybe the NX will change that. Maybe not. We'll see.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I agree with ya. Nothing wrong with re-masters - as long as they still make new stuff, I can't see the problem.

Erin_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Erin_Everett

@thereal25 said:

I agree with ya. Nothing wrong with re-masters - as long as they still make new stuff, I can't see the problem.

Better remasters than crappy cash-grab shovelware.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator

What an interesting discussion coming from you all. I for one welcome remasters for the most parts, as long as they are done right of course and we all know were still getting new IP games this gen, remasters are just optional to buy.

@groowagon said:

Only thing wrong with it is the price. I pay full price twice for the same game. That is genuine bullshit.

Owners of the original game should be able to buy an upgrade for less money. I'd upgrade every time.

I feel you on the price wise. I will admit that I do pay upfront remasters if it happens to be mt favorite game from last-gen such as The Last of Us, I wanted the PS4 version so badly, I even pre-order the digital version for it and I couldn't be happier, despite I still have my PS3.

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

During the ps2 era I played pretty much everything I wanted to as I had the time to do so. So when the hd remasters churned out on PS3 I used to have abut of a moan about it. This gen though I've changed my tune as its enabled me to play some gems that I missed last gen like the last of us, tomb raider, Dishonored, and borderlands.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

Because I'm spoiled by the fact that I have 30 years of backwards compatibility on my PC.

It's not that I dislike remasters though. Sometimes they are justified. Sometimes the jump to remaster brings a bunch of new features including online play, tons of bug fixes, and fully updated graphics.

I dislike it when companies like Sony drop BC (both midway through the PS3 generation, and also the PS4 launch), and then start re-releasing old games like crazy, and all they have is a slight resolution boost. That to me screams milkage.

I think I'd feel different about it if I actually still had the option to play the original version with the choice to play the new remake on the same system. Kind of like how I have the choice to use my current DVD library in my bluray player, but I could also go buy bluray copies of my favorite movies.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

It depends, if it's a remaster where they are just porting it to the new consoles like Darksiders 2, Deadpool, Prototype, etc.. it's kind of a big middle finger to gamers. But when it's an actual remake like the Resident Evil REmake where it's a completely new looking and feeling game with updates graphics, that is when remasters are welcomed.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

This is the problem with brain washed consumers, they don't see anything wrong with selling a decade old game, with slightly better graphics to a bunch of people who have already played that game and probably have it laying around. All the wile, the current gen of consoles is still lacking it's killer app. But yeah, we shouldn't complain about there being more remasters on the market than actual AAA releases. -__-

Avatar image for MasterTankallex
MasterTankallex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MasterTankallex
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts

The only way I would see remasters as a problem is if that's ALL that is being released, which clearly isn't the case. I personally love remasters, as it allows me to have a shot at playing a great game I may not have been able to play before. I personally can't wait for the remastered version of System Shock, never had a PC I could play decent games on when I was younger, and now that I'm an adult and I do, I can try this game out.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#37  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

This generation has been relying far too much on remasters. Some of them are justified, but most of them are of games that are not that old whatsoever. When the actual new games are so uninteresting and so many remasters are happening (like they are now) there's a problem.

NingYupOwaDat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NingYupOwaDat
Member since 2016 • 182 Posts

I dont think ps3 or 360 games should be remastered for a few years at least.

Having said that i have gta5 and last of us on ps4 because i missed them on ps3.

Have to say i bought a lot of remastered ps2 games last gen and i loved it. Resi 4 ratchetvand clank trilogy, mgs2 and 3 hitman trilogy among others were all great games and i was delighted to get them in hd

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@dethtrain: Its been happening since the 7800 kid, its nothing new to this gen.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@turtlethetaffer: What problem exactly? If people didn't want the remasters they wouldn't sell and developers would stop making them. The fact of the matter is there's nothing wrong with remasters and it seems only whiny internet crybabies complain about them, but they also whine and complain about everything.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#41 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@vfighter: Did you not read my post? I completely understand supply and demand and I honestly wish people would stop buying remasters because I'd rather have studios dedicated to making new interesting games instead of just rereleasing games that have only been out a few years. The example I look to is Last of Us. The so called "remaster" was released only a year after the original game came out. I very little point in that.

You can go ahead and disagree with me, but you don't need to be an asshole and call people who disagree with you names. It shows you have a weak argument.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

Battlezone remastered? That's awesome, missed the memo on that one! That game became quickly unplayable after 3dfx was scooped up by Nvidia.