So what games didn't live or live up to the hype on your expectations gamers?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

All aboard on the hype train!

Let's face it, hype can be a gamble, the game living up to the hype that it was promise, other times, failed to deliver what was promise by the developer/publisher. Most video games need some form of advertisement in order to saturate the masses. Which is what brings us, I been hurt by very few games that didn't meet my expectations cause I was on the hype train but others have met my hype expectations which I was satisfied. Here is my list I was hype for:

Games met my expectations I was hype for: The Last of Us, Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Doom 2016, Alan Wake, Infamous: Second Son, Bayonetta 2, Metal Gear Rising, and XCOM 2.

Games I was letdown by the hype: The Order: 1886, Duke Nukem Forever, Quantum Break, Evolve, PlayStation All-Stars, Kinect for Xbox 360, Star Fox: Zero, and The Division.

There you have it, I do still kinda get into a game that I'm hype for and right now, only one game I'm hype is just: Horizon: Zero Dawn. But other then that, I do a lot of research into a game I'm excited out and try to keep my expectations between high/low.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

Going from more recently/ post 2014-

Little Big Planet 3 is likely the biggest let-down.

It always looked fishy, but as a long-time community member and Little Big Planetarium blogger tried my best to stay positive. Sumo Digital killed the franchise in 2014 and that's not an understatement. LBP3 was the buggiest game, corrupting your save files and crashing PS4s on common occasion regardless of which modes you're playing. Did it ever get fixed? No, they just released expensive DLC on-top a broken game.

And somehow most media outlets like GameSpot gave this trash of a game an above average review? It's perhaps the worst PlayStation exclusive made in recent memory.

Some other games that didn't live up towards my expectations are Thief, Dragon's Dogma: Online, Shadow of the Beast, Monster Hunter X and TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan. But at least they're playable, and in some cases fun. So in all respects LBP3 takes the cake.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

Spore

I expected more depth and complexity from it, especially the much advertised creature stage. I was also dissapointed from the editors. It was only cosmetic. You could make a formless blob as a creature and it would work as long as you had the correct parts on it. It was the same with vehicles. You could't create your own types of vehicles. All had one behaviour.

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheManofPears
Member since 2016 • 284 Posts

Fallout 4, they stripped away most of the RPG elements, like everyone says the dialouge system and the dialouge itself was trash. The main character voice acting was terrible, ruined immersion (the male anyway). There was no decisions that allowed me to feel I had an impact on the world (in contrast to TW3 which did so well).

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Star wars Battlefront (the new one)

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

Bioshock: Infinite. But most recently, Fallout 4.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10481 Posts

thief, watch dogs and fallout 4 spring to mind in recent years as disappointing. thief was just plain bad, particularly disappointing after dishonored. sluggish controls, laborious quests, simplistic stealth and it brought very little that was new or interesting to the table. watch dogs was the final confirmation to me that ubisoft had lost the plot and were building all their open world games from the same template and fallout 4 was ok and quite fun in places but was more a stripped down fps with puddle deep rpg elements than a fallout game and so overall has to be considered disappointing, particularly after waiting several years for it. plus technically / visually it was terrible

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

Of all time? Daikatana. Any one that was around for that game's development, marketing, and abysmal release knows what I am talking about.

Recently, however, I found Battlefront and Fallout 4 to be the most over-hyped. They're not necessarily bad games, they are just so incredibly mediocre, there is no excuse for them to be so unsatisfying.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Exceeded Expectations:

• Mass Effect 2
  • Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Alan Wake
  • Max Payne 2
  • World in Conflict
  • Company of Heroes
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Torchlight 2
  • Divinity: Original Sin
  • Thief: The Dark Project
  • Half Life 2
  • Portal 2
  • Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
  • Total War: Shogun 2
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • The Last of Us
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Broken Sword: Shadow of Templars

Met Expectations:

• Crysis
  • STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
  • Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos
  • Total War: Warhammer
  • Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
  • Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Metro 2033
  • Deponia: The Complete Journey
  • Broken Sword V: The Serpent's Curse

Disappointing:

• Max Payne 3
  • Thief
  • Duke Nukem: Forever
  • Crysis 3
  • Dragon Age 2
  • Total War: Rome 2
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I've learned to always have a healthy spoon of cynical in my mouth, even regarding games I look forward to.

Helps with avoiding that Hype train.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

Hitman Absolution. Not an outright bad game, but made some poor choices with the franchise, namely, more linear, no exotic world locations, fairly broken disguise system, QTE's e.t.c....

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

The most obvious one for me is MGSV, I'm a massive MGS fan and this game wasn't enough MGS and it was properly unfinished.

I'll also mention GTA IV, again, a massive GTA fan and when it made the jump to PS3, I was like damn, this is gonna be good. It was certainly a good game but it lacked the scope of San Andreas or the vibrancy and fun of Vice City. V was a real return to form.

I would say FF XIII too but I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be and once you make it through the opening few hours, you start to appreciate what SE were trying at the time.

Todd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Todd
Member since 2016 • 21 Posts

Fallout 4 was definitely not as great as it hyped up to be. Seems like I'm not the only one with that point of view.

I'd say GTA V for the PS4 exceeded my expectations (never played it for the PS3). Just driving around and enjoying the scenery in first person was pretty gratifying for myself.

tomclancyhaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tomclancyhaha
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

I remember I was hyped for games like Modern Warfare 3, Batman: Arkham Knight, Tom Clancy's Division and Battlefield Hardline but they turned out to be shitty games more or less. Instead the games I wasn't hyped for truly touched my soul, games like the Last of Us, Black Ops 1 and Red Dead Redemption. The only games that truly have lived up to the hype I had on them were Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops 3, Uncharted 4, Gears of War 3, God of War 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I hope someday I'll come around this article again and name Infinite Warfare as a game that has truly lived up to my expectations lol

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

I've played too many games to remember all the ones did or did not live up to the hype. I think I'm a bit of an abonormal gamer though, I tend to find ways to enjoy bad games. I'm too stubborn to let a reviewer tell me what is and isn't worth my time. So I'll add a small explanation why these fall the way they do with what I expected to rate the game vs my actual rating.

Games that exceeded my expectations(expected score/actual score): The Order: 1886(60/90), Duke Nukem Forever(35/65), Quantum Break(80/90), The Division(85/85), Homefront: The Revolution(60/75*), Too Human(35/65), Red Faction: Armageddon(45/85), Singularity(65/85) Rogue Warrior(45/65).

One thing to keep in mind with these games, hype can go two directions. In the case of many of these games, the hype train derailed before it go to the station, which actually lowered my expectations. So I went into most of the games expecting a bad experience. I find that a lot of reviewers, especially those here, are very biased and jaded. Games get rated based on how they compare to another game, which really should only apply to sequels and spiritual successors. Also keep in mind some of these that I still gave low scores to(like DNF and RW) had elements that I really enjoyed that make them memorable even though they weren't very good.

Games that did not meet my expectations: Destiny(99/80), Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare(90/65), Uncharted 3(95/70), Grand Theft Auto V(99/90), Fallout 4(90/61).

I think those are 5 of the most hyped games in recent memory and while some were good, they're weren't as good as they are made out to be. In the case of GTAV, it's more a product of too much Michael and Franklin, not enough Trevor.

AdmiralAdmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AdmiralAdmiral
Member since 2016 • 94 Posts

Fallout 4. The worst Fallout entry in the series and one of the worst games I have ever played. Never been more disappointed in a game. I ended up giving it away to a friend, so at least someone could enjoy the game I wasted money on.

Velius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Velius
Member since 2016 • 66 Posts

The greatest disparity between hype and quality was seen in The Last of Us.

Not a bad game at all, just the insane amount of drooling was unwarranted. The Naughty Dog project is reiterated in every game they make. Nothing wrong with that but it's nothing special.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

All time? Too Human. I still had some fun with it but it was mediocre at best just as its score shows. I love Norse mythology and the sci fi angle to it was right up my alley.

Bionic Commando for PS3/360. I was so excited when I saw an up to date take on that classic and then it sucked dog shit from the tap.

Homefront The revolution. Another that can be fun played with someone but my battle buddy and I mainly just made each other laugh making fun of it

Resogun-after all the talking it up, I bought it this past week and its blah.

Gears Judgement

Exceeded: Halo 2-4; 5 met them. Half Life 2; Witcher 3; NHL 95; MGS3; MGR; Ninja Gaiden (xbox); GoW2; GTA VC and 5

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Macutchi

couple of other disappointments that spring to mind - crysis 3 was massively disappointing, albeit a gorgeous one. crysis and warhead are two of my favourite fps ever but i also enjoyed the 2nd. 3 wan't fit to lick the boots of the second and was a million miles off the quality of crysis 1 and warhead. possibly the most tragic conclusion to a potentially legendary gaming trilogy ever.

halo 4. could tell a mile off it wasn't made by bungie. it was simply missing the magic of the previous games. there wasn't anything particularly glaringly bad about it, more death by a thousand cuts of niggles, frustrations and small poor design choices.

and mass effect 2. i'm probably in the minority here but i thought the first was a rough around the edges yet extremely fun and gripping rpg with amazing atmosphere and an epic edge of the seat story, and the second was a slick but soulless glorified recruitment drive with none of the charm of the original. i tried a few times to finish it but couldn't, bought the third mass effect game but never even played it

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30687 Posts

@velius: I'm inclined to agree. Is TLoU a good game? Yes. Is it the best game ever like some have tried to make it out to be? Far from it.

Another game that falls into that category was GTA IV. I have never been a huge GTA fan, I tend to get bored with them. But the reviews were singing its praises, making it out to be an experience that changes gaming. It was none of that and even more boring than its predecessors. I haven't even looked at GTA V.

Velius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Velius

@Sepewrath: One of the things that bothers me is that nobody seems to want to admit that those kinds of games (TLoU) take away from what it means to be a video game. Quick time event based games, and games that heavily draw from film, dilute the form. While it may not seem like it, there is a world of difference between a Halo game and Metroid Prime. Metroid Prime is nothing but pure gaming. It's 100% veal. The story isn't given to you in tidbits of cinematic cutscenes. You play the story. When you roll up into the morph ball, or when you finally get the Varia suit.

That this is lost on people is worrisome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#22 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Three big ones for me would be the Division, Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

The Division turned into a bullet sponge grind, and I regret being fooled by Ubisoft yet agin, with their formulaic as hell structure. Get supplies, rebuild bases, unlock perks etc etc etc.

F04 and Skyrim did not evolve from the previous games in their series, technically, graphically, gameplay, or story wise.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#23 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6098 Posts

The Division.Anything Call of Duty.Minecraft.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Macutchi

@velius said:

@Sepewrath: One of the things that bothers me is that nobody seems to want to admit that those kinds of games (TLoU) take away from what it means to be a video game. Quick time event based games, and games that heavily draw from film, dilute the form. While it may not seem like it, there is a world of difference between a Halo game and Metroid Prime. Metroid Prime is nothing but pure gaming. It's 100% veal. The story isn't given to you in tidbits of cinematic cutscenes. You play the story. When you roll up into the morph ball, or when you finally get the Varia suit.

That this is lost on people is worrisome.

i think you're missing the point with the tlou. no-one is under any illusion about what kind of game it is and that it's in any way comparable to a game like metroid or halo in terms of gameplay. it's probably the closest thing we have to an interactive game / movie hybrid besides uncharted 4 that actually works i.e.manages to pull both strands together successfully.

the game's focus is clealry its story and creating a deep emotional tie between you and the two main characters. the gameplay itself is limited to playable but simplistic stealth / scavenging / survival (horror-esque) based sections that are used to drive the story forward. if this was some kind of epidemic in gaming i would take your point but you can pretty much count the amount of games like this on one hand (heavy rain and until dawn are two others that spring to mind, although both are far more limited gameplay wise). no-one is picking up tlou expecting to get free flowing doom 4-esque gameplay they're expecting a unique heavily cinematic gaming experience

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

The battle system is standard fare for SMT games, with a few new additions. No problems there.

Presentation and story are extremely sugar-coated and girly, even for this type of game. Big problems.

And just for reference, I can take Final Fantasy X-2 much better than I can take this game.

Velius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Velius

@Macutchi: I believe I do get the point, I guess I just don't like it. You're right, that style isn't mainstream, at least in this particular dosage but therein lies my worry. Many games have little traces of it. It's easy, and there is an immediate and readily apparent appeal, since most people love movies.

I enjoyed The Last of Us. But I worry about gaming in general moving in that direction, because at that point I don't think we could rightly call it gaming. I hope you're right though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

I was genuinely exited for the Witcher 3, while the Witcher 2's combat was nothing to write home about, it was serviceable.

After booting this up after about 40 minutes I got close to throwing my mouse at the tv - I still have difficulty comprehending how this got such good reviews on the pc when the controls were so abysmal.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Macutchi

@velius said:

@Macutchi: I believe I do get the point, I guess I just don't like it. You're right, that style isn't mainstream, at least in this particular dosage but therein lies my worry. Many games have little traces of it. It's easy, and there is an immediate and readily apparent appeal, since most people love movies.

I enjoyed The Last of Us. But I worry about gaming in general moving in that direction, because at that point I don't think we could rightly call it gaming. I hope you're right though.

i think as graphics continue to improve there'll be an unavoidable overlap between gaming and movies, particularly with the emergence of vr. but i don't think it'll be at the expense of gameplay, in the majority of cases anyway. people still want to play their games. but to be fair to naughty dog tlou managed to get the balance between everything just about right which is why it was so popular, including with people like you who are against gaming moving in that direction but still enjoyed it. and me too. i've replayed it three times and i f*ckin hate games that are stuffed with qtes.

as far as traces of that style go, if you're talking about qtes, i agree, they're generally horrific and tend to mask a lack of imagination from the developer, as in - we can't figure out how to make this section playable but we're concerned you won't have touched the controller / mouse & kb for a while so here bash this button / key so you still feel involved. i'm 100% with you on that. it's very rare they feel right.

by the way in terms of the opposite side of the coin, if you haven't already done so, i'd recommend picking up doom 4. it's pure visceral edge of your seat fps gameplay. absolutely brilliant

Velius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Velius

@Macutchi: I have, and you're right. I love it! Superb is the incentive they give you to not hide when you're damaged but charge into a bloody war and kill kill kill.

Love the Metroid stealing. Love it.

Rvg_Kirito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rvg_Kirito
Member since 2016 • 37 Posts

In my defense i would have to say the game that did not live up to it's potential has to be. Star wars battlefront (new release) the fact of it is, is that so much content from the first 2 were taken out. Such as the jedi unlocks you get from kills i believe, and the unlimited use of characters and secret characters you can unlock. it was way to focused on the characters from star wars 4,5, and 6. and nothing from the past or the future.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

Sorry guys for not replying here, I been busy lately and almost forgotten I made this thread.

@Cloud_imperium said:

Exceeded Expectations:

• Mass Effect 2
  • Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Alan Wake
  • Max Payne 2
  • World in Conflict
  • Company of Heroes
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Torchlight 2
  • Divinity: Original Sin
  • Thief: The Dark Project
  • Half Life 2
  • Portal 2
  • Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
  • Total War: Shogun 2
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • The Last of Us
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Broken Sword: Shadow of Templars

Met Expectations:

• Crysis
  • STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
  • Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos
  • Total War: Warhammer
  • Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
  • Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Metro 2033
  • Deponia: The Complete Journey
  • Broken Sword V: The Serpent's Curse

Disappointing:

• Max Payne 3
  • Thief
  • Duke Nukem: Forever
  • Crysis 3
  • Dragon Age 2
  • Total War: Rome 2

Great list Cloud, I'm surprise you didn't put Mass Effect 3 as disappointing.

@suicidesn0wman said:

I've played too many games to remember all the ones did or did not live up to the hype. I think I'm a bit of an abonormal gamer though, I tend to find ways to enjoy bad games. I'm too stubborn to let a reviewer tell me what is and isn't worth my time. So I'll add a small explanation why these fall the way they do with what I expected to rate the game vs my actual rating.

Games that exceeded my expectations(expected score/actual score): The Order: 1886(60/90), Duke Nukem Forever(35/65), Quantum Break(80/90), The Division(85/85), Homefront: The Revolution(60/75*), Too Human(35/65), Red Faction: Armageddon(45/85), Singularity(65/85) Rogue Warrior(45/65).

One thing to keep in mind with these games, hype can go two directions. In the case of many of these games, the hype train derailed before it go to the station, which actually lowered my expectations. So I went into most of the games expecting a bad experience. I find that a lot of reviewers, especially those here, are very biased and jaded. Games get rated based on how they compare to another game, which really should only apply to sequels and spiritual successors. Also keep in mind some of these that I still gave low scores to(like DNF and RW) had elements that I really enjoyed that make them memorable even though they weren't very good.

Games that did not meet my expectations: Destiny(99/80), Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare(90/65), Uncharted 3(95/70), Grand Theft Auto V(99/90), Fallout 4(90/61).

I think those are 5 of the most hyped games in recent memory and while some were good, they're weren't as good as they are made out to be. In the case of GTAV, it's more a product of too much Michael and Franklin, not enough Trevor.

Very well said there. I guess for me, what ruins the hype for me would be showing too much gameplay or releasing early reviews before the main game is release is what kind hurts the hype.

@rvg_kirito said:

In my defense i would have to say the game that did not live up to it's potential has to be. Star wars battlefront (new release) the fact of it is, is that so much content from the first 2 were taken out. Such as the jedi unlocks you get from kills i believe, and the unlimited use of characters and secret characters you can unlock. it was way to focused on the characters from star wars 4,5, and 6. and nothing from the past or the future.

Funny thing is, I made a hype thread in System Wars last year for Battlefront when I got it on PC, the game wasn't all that bad but I can agree some people stated that it's very boring and they are right, it does kinda get boring but at the same time, I love Star Wars and the game somewhat met my expectations when I was hype for it.

Rvg_Kirito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rvg_Kirito
Member since 2016 • 37 Posts

@davillain-: the hype for it was good i give it that but the gameplay didnt seem as it was in the past when it was on ps2 and xbox

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

GT5 was a massive disappointment for me. To be fair though it was PD's fault, they kept quiet for so long giving out zero information to the fans so expectations were sky high and the game was never going to live up to them all.

After all of the delays and expectations when the game did finally arrive it still felt very unfinished, I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with a GT game.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Fallout 4

khatibi22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#35 khatibi22
Member since 2005 • 7330 Posts

So disapointed to see so many disappointed Fallout4 players. I got it a few weeks ago but found out it my computer can't run it. I wanted to upgrade just to be able to play this game and XCOM2.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

Resident Evil 6.

chitosan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By chitosan87
Member since 2012 • 103 Posts

SIM CITY by EA … should I mention EA? Yeah

Duke Nukem Forever … this game nuke the whole

Hitman Absolution … just hate the story and locations. That’s it.

MGSV … even I still play this game, I must admit that I hate it. Snake has less dialogue and that Damn Miller has too much lines in this game. Story was meh. The world felt so empty. But I love when I stole other people’ staff in FOB lol…

Fallout 4 ... I even did not finish the game since the story was not really interesting and side mission was just a repetition. It has great world, new features and nice graphic. But it makes me want to paly New Vegas again ... hahaha

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#39 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Raiden... seriously? La Li Lu Le Lo... WTF? There were all kinds of fail in that game.

rusty_nail88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rusty_nail88
Member since 2016 • 7 Posts

the worst for me for me is burnout paradise city. they screwed up on it so bad the game sounds and graphics were awful and it was so easy to hack someone's account all you need to know is the password: 5546 burnout and the person's account name and you could make them loose all the trophy boards and you leader board scores.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain. it had great gameplay but the empty open world, repetitive side missions and the second chapter of the game consists of previous mission on harder difficulty didn't do it for me.

The Last of US was great and I'm thinking of re-buying the remaster version for PS4.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Uncharted 2 was a big one. I was excited to experiene what most considered a huge triumph for its gen. So many people kept assuring me the game keeps you playing the whole time. Unfortunately that's only technically true, it's just most of the time the game limits what you can do so significantly that I wish it was a cutscene rather than force me to play through tons of cinematic walking and climbing.

I really did not like this game at all.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

There is a lot of games that has not lived up to the hype.

The biggest one recently was Fallout 4 and Witcher 3.

Both disappointed in a major way.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

The biggest one is Halo 2. I was so hyped for it, but the campaign sucked.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

Halo 5 :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#46 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@themanofpears said:

Fallout 4, they stripped away most of the RPG elements, like everyone says the dialouge system and the dialouge itself was trash. The main character voice acting was terrible, ruined immersion (the male anyway). There was no decisions that allowed me to feel I had an impact on the world (in contrast to TW3 which did so well).

And that is why I still have not beaten it, and have not played it since april. it is a husk of what fallout used to be, the same Skyrim felt like a husk of Oblivion to me.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

There are probably several games that didn't live up to the hype for me. But the biggest one in recent memory is Destiny. Weirdly though, Destiny is not a bad game! That's the tricky part - and since The Taken King, it's become a significantly better game than it was when it first launched.

In fact, Destiny is, for me, the poster-child of what DLC/digital distribution can do for games in the modern era. If Destiny had simply remained "vanilla" and we'd had to wait for a sequel, then I think my view would be very different.

As well, I think Destiny has evolved into a different game than Bungie originally intended to make anyway; that's also interesting. The way that fan feedback has shaped the experience over time is significant.