So I picked up Shadow of Mordor

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

I haven't bought many games of late because they tend to be a lot of the same, but I am pleasantly surprised. I watched a lot of youtube stuff but playing the game definately gives you a better feel. It got compared to games like Assassins Creed and Batman and the similarities are there but that's where it ends. It's really it's own game and does a good job of balancing itself. It's not even necessarily my genre or type of game but what it does is fun and it's really something new and innovative and it's own game. Maybe not the holy grail of that and I'd love to see more developers trying different things but it is something. Really nice job of balancing tactical combat and things to do in an open world and it has it's own flavor and really feels next gen and has some really nice new tech in it not just the nemesis system.

I kind of agree with Gamespot's selection as game of the year after playing it. I'm only about 5 hours in but I'd say it's one of the most refreshing big budget games I've played in a while. This is what I'd hope games would be more of.

You can see the effort put in to establish something new and Monoloth delivered.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

I haven't bought many games of late because they tend to be a lot of the same, but I am pleasantly surprised. I watched a lot of youtube stuff but playing the game definately gives you a better feel. It got compared to games like Assassins Creed and Batman and the similarities are there but that's where it ends. It's really it's own game and does a good job of balancing itself. It's not even necessarily my genre or type of game but what it does is fun and it's really something new and innovative and it's own game. Maybe not the holy grail of that and I'd love to see more developers trying different things but it is something. Really nice job of balancing tactical combat and things to do in an open world and it has it's own flavor and really feels next gen and has some really nice new tech in it not just the nemesis system.

I kind of agree with Gamespot's selection as game of the year after playing it. I'm only about 5 hours in but I'd say it's one of the most refreshing big budget games I've played in a while. This is what I'd hope games would be more of.

You can see the effort put in to establish something new and Monoloth delivered.

Wait until you unlock powerful runes and all your abilities. It's awesome what Talion is capable of. I completed the game a few days ago and can honestly say it just keeps getting better. I bought the season pass and have all dlc. The expansion is pretty sweet. a 9/10 for sure.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Celtic_34: i still think Dragon Age Inquisition was better, but Shadow of Mordor was a damn good game

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@The_Last_Ride:

I still have to try shadow of mordor.

with the exception of some parts..i hated inquisition.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I picked it up over the holidays for $25, but after playing it I wouldn't have mind paying the full $60 for it! The game is a blast!!!

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

I just wonder how long before people complain it's too hard or too complicated. The way the game is designed it pretty much does everything for you you just have to be somewhat good at it. I've died quite a bit. I don't get mad at that. I like a challenge.... The game has a really good mix of fun factor and depth it and how it's designed is ab out right to me. We need more games like this that do other things.

The game to me is pretty much perfect for what it's trying to be. It's not dark souls insanity and it's not assassins creed cheesyness. It's somewhere In between. Just a good all around game.

Games I buy where I feel like I didn't waste my money are far and in between. I got this for $30 and well worth it. Really fun game.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#7 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

that excitment of the game you're feeling runs out after a while. after 5 hrs or so i was really getting bored of the game.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Great choice i finish it 88% complete 37 hours its great experience

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I haven't played Mordor I just don't like these type of games.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Its next up in my backlog. Looking forward to finally playing it.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#11 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

Shadow Of Mordor really is a great game as far as i'm concerned, and I think the nemesis system is one of the most interesting features I saw in a game last year, if not the most interesting. i think its a great game overall, and is an example of the kind of innovation that we can still get in a triple a release, despite all of the garbage that was released last year

CDsmasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 CDsmasher
Member since 2009 • 106 Posts

Yeah SoM was a very pleasant surprise. Dragon Age Inquisition sucked donkey balls and I'm still shocked by how well it was reveived. Goty?! WTF?! This is coming from a Bioware fan who loved every single game they made, including DA:2.

th4no5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 th4no5
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Celtic_34: i still think Dragon Age Inquisition was better, but Shadow of Mordor was a damn good game

2nd this. I loved both games but DA:I was better.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

Its next up in my backlog. Looking forward to finally playing it.

I hope u enjoy it mate.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

Damn now I want to play this game but I have 5 games to finish so I guess I will just have to wait.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

I think this is my favourite game of the gen to date. Great game.