So collecting video games is a waste of time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

action1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 action1234
Member since 2006 • 958 Posts
So I just that collecting video games and trying to collect rare video games doesn't matter anymore because in around 50 years, we would be able to play these games by the click of a mouse...and they won't be worth anything. So is it a waste of time?
FLCL_neku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FLCL_neku
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts

UM...no lol--Ive spend to much money to build up my collection:3

That's just negative thinking....but you might be right:(

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts
So I just that collecting video games and trying to collect rare video games doesn't matter anymore because in around 50 years, we would be able to play these games by the click of a mouse...and they won't be worth anything. So is it a waste of time?action1234

I don't know if it's a waste of time, but it's certainly not a good investment over a 50-year period.
Honestly, what's the demand for Atari cartridges today? Those are only 30 years old.
Robot_Vampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Robot_Vampire
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts

We probably will be able to buy all the games we want in 50 years time but I always prefer having the original stuff in terms of games. Some people build up video game collections to play them so I can't see myself waiting 50 years to play a few games when I can play them now.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
For a 50-year period yes, collecting them is a bad idea. Buying them to play is perfectly okay.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Eventually they will just have us download all our games and we won't be able to collect discs or cartridges.
jamestabang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 jamestabang
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts
Yes, they are not just a waste of time but money as well. You may definitely get some bad games and will rue buying it someday.:P
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

There have been discussions about digital distribution a few times in the Candid Collectors' Union. I was never really an active participant in those discussions, so here's my take.

Physical media will always have certain advantages over digital distribution. The publisher cannot revoke your right to play the game. If the service dies or the company goes out of business, your games are still available. You are not bound by the restrictions of the publisher or distribution service.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Yes, they are not just a waste of time but money as well. You may definitely get some bad games and will rue buying it someday.:Pjamestabang

So we should probably just stop playing games then. There's always a chance you won't enjoy a game. I don't rue buying games. I rue getting rid of games. There's always a chance I'll want to play a certain game, even if I didn't enjoy it initially.

jamestabang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 jamestabang
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts
Huh.. Never thought of that. I interpreted the topic as games collected before but not being played at present. Well, I am like that at times. Sorry, maybe I was just not in a "good mood" a while back.
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

If by collecting you mean keeping them until they gain in monetary value then it really is a great big waste of time and money because you will never get anything like your original investment for them. Also there are much more profitable things to invest your money and efforts in.

If you collect because you enjoy having them (and preferably playing them), and you think that you will continue to do so then collecting games is fine as is collecting cds and dvds, but they will never gain in value.

Boostd4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Boostd4
Member since 2006 • 167 Posts

If by collecting you mean keeping them until they gain in monetary value then it really is a great big waste of time and money because you will never get anything like your original investment for them. Also there are much more profitable things to invest your money and efforts in.

If you collect because you enjoy having them (and preferably playing them), and you think that you will continue to do so then collecting games is fine as is collecting cds and dvds, but they will never gain in value.

bugsonglass

+1

It's pretty much like buying a car...once it leaves the store it's already lost 25% of it's value. Now..that being said there are exceptions like Guardian Heroes for the Saturn and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 for the PS2. But even those won't pay for that new house.

adarmus47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 adarmus47
Member since 2006 • 158 Posts

I recently decided to add all the PC games I have on the bookshelf to my profile on Gspot and it totalled 143. There are also more in storage boxes in my spare room that I can't be bothered pulling out.

I don't really see there being any value in them in a years time or 50 years. I buy games because I love playing. I think the hours of enjoyment I get from a game is reward enough. Of course a lot the games I have are rubbish but that is all part of the search for that great game you find that blows you away.

four_of_clubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 four_of_clubs
Member since 2005 • 4474 Posts

bugsonglass

In my case, I collect SNES and NES video games... alot of them aren't worth a whole lot of money, but it's still really nice to say I own these games (and to play them too, of course :P) That being said, several of these games ARE worth quite a bit (Chrono Trigger, Aero Fighters, Harvest Moon etc.). Worth much more on ebay than any new game today. They couldn't pay for a house, but definetely, when sold as a package, could rake in a lot of cash.

Not that I'd ever sell my games, proving I do it for a personal gain.

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
But it is a fun diversion from the meaningless of our lives.
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
If you do it as a hobby and to show your collection to everyone, then it's not bad at all. Doing it to sell it later, it's a waste of time.
lordsidious002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 lordsidious002
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

bugsonglass

how true. i know a lot of people who collect stuff for value and then they try and sell it and they don't get nearly the amount they thought they'd get for it.

Cerussite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cerussite
Member since 2007 • 3084 Posts
I only "collect" games to play them. I don't collect them for the sake of collecting them, though. So yes, in a sense, they'll be worthless in 50 years.