SNES vs Sega Genesis/Mega Drive [poll added]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

genesis is not a common word that people know what it means. it derives only from the bible and unless you know some elements of the bible like the books names and storys you have no idea what genesis is.

bultje112

maybe if you're iliterate :|

like most people in europa don't know. as I said if 80% of the people here in netherlands at least don't know christmas is supposed to be the celebration of the birth of jesus then how do you think they know what genesis is.

bultje112

like most people in europe don't know? feel to provide a link to back up your claim

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#352 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

Jag85

Wow I did not know that about Sega. I guess it makes sense considering their arcade background, ironically they helped kill arcades. I honestly not sure what this thing about religion, I never thought of it in a religious way, that would be like making a connection between the bible game, and the NES.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#353 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19511 Posts

maybe so, but in the end, when you read the word "genesis" you're more likely to connect it to christianity, which was my original argument

rilpas

Fair enough.

Wow I did not know that about Sega. I guess it makes sense considering their arcade background, ironically they helped kill arcades. I honestly not sure what this thing about religion, I never thought of it in a religious way, that would be like making a connection between the bible game, and the NES.

mahlasor

Well, Sega certainly played a major role in both the rise of the arcades and the fall of the arcades. Because of their push to bring the arcades home during the 90s, they ended up rendering the arcades obsolete by the time the Dreamcast came along. The Dreamcast's failure was not the only reason Sega existed the hardware business, but the other main reason was because of the decline of the arcades, the other half of Sega's business at the time.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#354 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

the decline of the arcades had nothing to do with thbat. the reason the arcades declined as because home consolkes had started to surpass actual arcade hardware technology. that and online gaming meant in the west at least the market for arcades was gone. I still mis it every day

HadronVulture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355 HadronVulture
Member since 2012 • 198 Posts
The SNES has always been one of my favorite consoles; The Sega Genesis just did not have any games that really excited me that much.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"] The name Sega Mega Drive was originally conceived to match the naming scheme of its predecessor, the Sega Master System. Since the Sega Master System was very successful in Europe (where it dominated the NES), the Mega Drive would have been a suitable name for a successor console. In North America, on the other hand, the Sega Master System was unsuccessful, so they probably made up the name "Genesis" to indicate a fresh start for Sega in the region, though that was only after legal issues prevented them from using the Mega Drive name. [QUOTE="rilpas"]well in Japan it's called the PC engine, I'm guessing they didn't want IBM to sue them :PJag85

Except that IBM couldn't even be bothered to sue all those IBM PC clone manufacturers... But I think the name has more to do with the Japanese using "computer" in a more general sense at the time, like the NES's original name "Family Computer", later shortened to Famicom.

Genesis came first, because Sega wanted to beat out the NES. Yet I still believe the NES was a way better system than the Genesis simply due to the ambition to which games were made, howfar the hardware was driven and also of course because of the first party classics. Mario games have and always will beat out Sonic games over and over, and taking the history of the Sonic games vs Mario games across several systems since then, this theory only proves more and more true.

Then the SNES came along and brought us even greater classics. Yet, not only that, but the SNES was a much stronger piece of hardware than the Genesis, and could do lots more. This was plainly evident by the fact that whenever arcade ports were brought over for both systems, the SNES always had the Genesis beat - games like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat prove this. Forget the fact that Mortal Kombat for the Genesis had blood. The SNES version not only looked way better, it also played way better. The controller was also more flexible and had the capacity to handle more complicated games (I'm still wondering how SF2 and MK gamers were able to play those games on that piece of crap Genesis 3-button controller... was the Start button used as a punch button or something? Lol)

Sure, Genesis had a much more obnoxious and forceful fanboy crowd, but the SNES gamers and Nintendo themselves simply sat back and said "look, boast all you want, you and I know that the SNES has got you all beat hands down." And it did.

While I won't start going into detail about specific game genres, and if RPG's had better games on Genesis, or action games were better with the SNES. Whatever. We're talking about not only hardware here, but how each company promoted and sold their product, and of course how they maintained it throughout the system's longevity. This is not some debate like the 360 vs the PS3 (even though I personally think the 360 is crap compared to the PS3, even though the 360 has a more mainstream fanboy casual gamer crowd), because in terms of hardware, both systems are virtually identical. No, the SNES is a clear winner over the Genesis in every aspect of the hardware department, so it surprises me that this vote could put the Genesis over the SNES, even though to all gamers alike, no matter WHAT platform you have now, cannot deny that Nintendo has done more to progress the video game market than any other company ever has overall.

metalgrinch

2. The Mega Drive had a faster CPU and a larger colour palette than the SNES. The SNES was technically superior in some ways, while the Mega Drive was superior in other ways.

The bold is not true unless you mean the 32X.

I agree Sega arcades were pretty amazing back then. There may be some negative things said about their console hardware but their arcades were cutting-edge.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 mahlasor

Gahhhhh, epic long quote! ^

The SNES has always been one of my favorite consoles; The Sega Genesis just did not have any games that really excited me that much.HadronVulture

*looks at poll* looks like the Nintendo sheep have arrived. I like to see you explain your reasoning the Sega Genesis had nothing that did not excite you, this should be good. I am not talking about a general reason, more specifics of what brought you to that conclusion.

*secret 0_- face*

I also missed the arcades, I remember playing Terminator, the arcade! And all those momment where the coin machines were damaged, or for some reason we could play one game infinitely, maybe it was on purpose.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

yeah it;s funny. in whatever polls sega always wins in the beginning and then come teh nintendo sheep from whatever parts of forums we never seen to vote while never having owned a sega system

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 rilpas
It's just a poll man, doesn't mean anything
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

genesis is not a common word that people know what it means. it derives only from the bible and unless you know some elements of the bible like the books names and storys you have no idea what genesis is.

rilpas

maybe if you're iliterate :|

like most people in europa don't know. as I said if 80% of the people here in netherlands at least don't know christmas is supposed to be the celebration of the birth of jesus then how do you think they know what genesis is.

bultje112

like most people in europe don't know? feel to provide a link to back up your claim

Holy cow this is still going on?! :lol:

Genesis is also synonymous with science and popular media. WRATH OF KAHN!!!!!!

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 mahlasor

It's just a poll man, doesn't mean anythingrilpas

The poll seems kind of accurate to the way I see it.:D Sega Genesis just is somewhat cooler. Btw I went to gamers and saw Super Metroid, Mario Kart, I think Kirby, and I was like "if I didnt get rid of my SNES." Of course I kind of want money, and well I kind of like how my Sega Genesis blends in with my tv. Why is the Super Nintendo all purple and white? Such a strange color scheme. I like how the Sega Genesis is so sleek and sexy. You cant get chicks with a SNES, but you could impress them with a Sega Genesis.:D

disclaimer: fvck what women think.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362 Jag85

the decline of the arcades had nothing to do with thbat. the reason the arcades declined as because home consolkes had started to surpass actual arcade hardware technology. that and online gaming meant in the west at least the market for arcades was gone. I still mis it every day

bultje112

Consoles couldn't surpass the arcades, because the arcades were like PCs: they could always be upgraded. Nevertheless, by the time the Dreamcast came along, consoles could produce accurate enough arcade conversions that the arcades were no longer seen as necessary. And to make it worse, PCs also had the ability to continuously upgrade, making the arcades redundant. And like you mentioned, the rise of online gaming also ended up becoming a replacement for the kind of social gaming that the arcades were known for, though social arcade gaming is still alive and well in Japan.

The bold is not true unless you mean the 32X.

I agree Sega arcades were pretty amazing back then. There may be some negative things said about their console hardware but their arcades were cutting-edge.

nameless12345

Actually, you're right. The SNES had a larger colour palette. What I was thinking of was the contrast levels. If you compare the SNES and Mega Drive versions of Street Fighter II, the Mega Drive version has more contrast and saturation, while SNES version has more varied colours but less contrast.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Actually, you're right. The SNES had a larger colour palette. What I was thinking of was the contrast levels. If you compare the SNES and Mega Drive versions of Street Fighter II, the Mega Drive version has more contrast and saturation, while SNES version has more varied colours but less contrast.

Jag85

That doesn't make any sense. The Genesis has "more contrast and saturation"???????

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Heirren

That doesn't make any sense. The Genesis has "more contrast and saturation"???????

Watch this Street Fighter II comparison video and you'll see what I mean:

Classic Game Room - SEGA vs. NINTENDO - STREET FIGHTER 2 review

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

SNES looks better in every way. Genesis version is rather ugly, and yes I have played it.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 mahlasor

I liked that review, he goes into specifics. But I hate these type of fighting games, anyone who uses games like this as a comparison... Fighting games suck, the ones where you are on this stage etc. I am not sure why the sound on the Sega Genesis is so scratchy, I played Robocop Version the Terminator, and when that female says "terminatorrr," it is very smooth. Anyways this is what I meant about graphic differences, the SNES seems to have a different color scheme.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

genesis fo sho

i just modded my genesis for s-video

sound on genesis is way sexier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9COjyJVqQsU

I have musha on my genesis :> for it with shinobi 3 for only 80$ :D (I say only, it goes for 250$ now!)

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#368 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

SNES looks better in every way. Genesis version is rather ugly, and yes I have played it.

I have both versions, and definitely agree with this. Genesis version is pretty ugly, though the actual gameplay is better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] Watch this Street Fighter II comparison video and you'll see what I mean:

magnax1

I have both versions, and definitely agree with this. Genesis version is pretty ugly, though the actual gameplay is better.

I don't believe that is true. Street Fighter was my favorite game back in that time and I swear it drops some animation, or the timing is quite different.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 rilpas

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

I don't believe that is true. Street Fighter was my favorite game back in that time and I swear it drops some animation, or the timing is quite different.

well the video review you were linked to (and likely did not watch) does state the SNES version has some slowdown problems

though, I still prefer the SNES version

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

rilpas

well the video review you were linked to (and likely did not watch) does state the SNES version has some slowdown problems

I did watch it. While I don't like his tone, I usually think he does a good job. Here though, he mentions contrast/saturation as if he has no clue what he's talking about. A lot of times contrast will be boosted to hide a lack of detail, which is often the case in the Genesis version. Bringing up color saturation is rather pointless, or pointless if not done properly.

I remember playing the genesis game and thinking how something was just off, gameplay wise. As if there was slightly less animation which threw off a lot of the timings.

"and likely did not watch"...:lol:

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

I did watch it. While I don't like his tone, I usually think he does a good job. Here though, he mentions contrast/saturation as if he has no clue what he's talking about. A lot of times contrast will be boosted to hide a lack of detail, which is often the case in the Genesis version. Bringing up color saturation is rather pointless, or pointless if not done properly.

I remember playing the genesis game and thinking how something was just off, gameplay wise. As if there was slightly less animation which threw off a lot of the timings.

I do like it that whenever someone says something *gasps* positive about sega either that person doesn't know what he's talking about or "makes no sense"

care to show us your PHD in programing?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

I do like it that whenever someone says something *gasps* positive about sega either that person doesn't know what he's talking about or "makes no sense"

Um, I've said plenty of positive things about SEga on this board. Programming? Who's talking about programming?

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

Um, I've said plenty of positive things about SEga on this board. Programming? Who's talking about programming?

yep, positive, like how Sega Genesis isn't much of a jump from the NES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

You blew that out of proportion and out of context. I said that quite a few early genesis games did not feel like a huge step up from the nes.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 rilpas

You blew that out of proportion and out of context. I said that quite a few early genesis games did not feel like a huge step up from the nes.

Heirren

*uses Heirren's defense*

that makes no sense, you don't know what you're talking about

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

rilpas

*uses Heirren's defense*

Excuse me? I gave my reasoning. If you are 16 years of age I forgive you.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

*uses Heirren's defense*

so did everyone else? :|

EDIT: lol at the age card :lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

*uses Heirren's defense*

rilpas

Wha? You assume too much.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

let me guess, "it makes no sense"?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

No, and I'd appreciate it if you would stop being so disrespectful. I'm an adult, I still play videogames from time to time, and I realize that posting on a site like this that an age difference can be very wide when conversating. You're assuming I meant that in a derogatory fashion, when I didn't. There's no point in getting upset or annoyed on a discussion forum--though some of LoosingENDS threads, on the other hand...

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

No, and I'd appreciate it if you would stop being so disrespectful. I'm an adult, I still play videogames from time to time, and I realize that posting on a site like this that an age difference can be very wide when conversating. You're assuming I meant that in a derogatory fashion, when I didn't. There's no point in getting upset or annoyed on a discussion forum--though some of LoosingENDS threads, on the other hand...

I find it so funny that you need to reiterate this so many times, I'm 24, you don't see me going "I'm an adult" "you're a child"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

I find it so funny that you need to reiterate this so many times, I'm 24, you don't see me going "I'm an adult" "you're a child"

Again, you are making the assumption that is what I was doing. You took a few words out of context and spun them the way you would like. And, earlier, you brought up another comment, again, which you took out of context. You're essentially putting words into my mouth.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#384 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
This is why we never get nice threads here, guys! :x
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#385 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

Are you kidding?! The Master System pushed better looking graphics than the NES, and the Genesis is twice the machine the Master System was.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386 mahlasor

I have Musha too! But not Shinobi, never really played it, played the first level, didnt seem to catch my attention. I even have the case for Musha, bought it online, but it is sun damaged on the front.

edit: why the fvck would it not allow me to quote a comment? Anyways I think I just got into Shinobi, it actually is quite entertaining when I play again, I probably just wasnt understanding the mechanics.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 mahlasor

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

Again, you are making the assumption that is what I was doing. You took a few words out of context and spun them the way you would like. And, earlier, you brought up another comment, again, which you took out of context. You're essentially putting words into my mouth.

dude, you called him a sixteen year old ffs. Look we know you are mad because the Genesis is winning in the polls, its k. The SNES is still a good console, I know sheep rely on popularity sometimes to say something is higher quality. But come on, you know what is bs, right?

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Emerald_Warrior

Are you kidding?! The Master System pushed better looking graphics than the NES, and the Genesis is twice the machine the Master System was.

tell that to Herrein, not me, he was the one who said the genesis wasn't much of a jump in comparison to the NES

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 mahlasor

Lol, we showwed him the pics, though I doubt he will say now that it wasnt, it is all about perception when it comes to this debate. That is what makes this debate so fun, and interesting. Not sure why but the SNES and Genesis were just so special.

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#390 Another48hours
Member since 2012 • 1970 Posts

Let's settle this:

Which ever system has games that look closer to this wins!!!

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 rilpas

Let's settle this:

Another48hours

wow, that game is that? it looks awesome

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 Another48hours

[QUOTE="Another48hours"]

Let's settle this:

rilpas

wow, that game is that? it looks awesome

Top Hunter:

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 rilpas
I knew it looked like a neo geo game :P thank you :)
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 Another48hours
[QUOTE="rilpas"]I knew it looked like a neo geo game :P thank you :)

Thank me? Why you about to go get it and play it?
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395 rilpas
well it IS on the virtual console
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 Another48hours
well it IS on the virtual consolerilpas
One of the few in a very small collection yes.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Heirren

...In your opinion.

The SNES version looks smoother, but the higher saturation of the Mega/Genesis version balances it out. For example, the Ryu stage looks somewhat more detailed in the Mega/Genesis version because of the higher saturation, but it looks a bit rough around the edges in comparison to the smoother-looking SNES version.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 mahlasor

Let's settle this:

Another48hours

Sega Genesis, Gunstar Heroes. Ristar maybe, but Donkey Kong Country could qualify easily.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

...In your opinion.

The SNES version looks smoother, but the higher saturation of the Mega/Genesis version balances it out. For example, the Ryu stage looks somewhat more detailed in the Mega/Genesis version because of the higher saturation, but it looks a bit rough around the edges in comparison to the smoother-looking SNES version.

Increasing contrast and color saturation, in game, is just a means to hide the detail that isn't even there in the first place. Imo it looks bad--it reminds me of going to Bestbuy and seeing all their tvs set to torch mode. Also, if I wanted I could adjust all that stuff on the tv itself.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 mahlasor

Get over it, the game suck balllllls.