SNES vs Sega Genesis/Mega Drive [poll added]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Yeah would you rather have a Mega Nintendo, or a Super Nintendo? Alright, the Genesis won, we can lock this thread ;P

mahlasor

I like the Mega Drive name over Genesis. Sega would keep the name for the US but they had legal issues.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Yeah would you rather have a Mega Nintendo, or a Super Nintendo? Alright, the Genesis won, we can lock this thread ;P

nameless12345

I like the Mega Drive name over Genesis. Sega would keep the name for the US but they had legal issues.

Wait, really? I think Genesis is one of the best product names of all time. Probably the ballsiest ad campaign EVER in the us. "GOD created Genesis?" Something like that could never happen these days.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#303 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

it's a great name for the (christian) usa but in europe or japan it would never work

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

it's a great name for the (christian) usa but in europe or japan it would never work

bultje112

Yeah, I don't think the christians would be too keen on a videogame console being called Genesis. The name just holds more weight than Mega Drive.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
I also think Megadrive sounds a lot more badass then Genesis, but then again, I think it all depends on which console you grew up with
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Heirren

Yeah, I don't think the christians would be too keen on a videogame console being called Genesis. The name just holds more weight than Mega Drive.

yes in the usa where people may know genesis is a biblical name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

The word genesis is in the dictionary. The ad campaign did bring God into it, which is just crazy, but the name was more about the start of next gen gaming.

Genesis: The origin or coming into being of something.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

The word genesis is in the dictionary. The ad campaign did bring God into it, which is just crazy, but the name was more about the start of next gen gaming.

so are 15 thousand other words that many don't know

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

so are 15 thousand other words that many don't know

Are you seriously insinuating that people don't know what genesis means? :lol:

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 bultje112

in europe not many, no. in japan same thing. where I live 60% of the population don't even know that during christmas christians celebrate the birth of jesus christ

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 rilpas

in europe not many, no. bultje112

What? :| I'm european and I find that insulting, are you telling me the UK isn't religious? Portugal? Spain? France? Fricking Itally? the nation where Christianity hails from

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

in europe not many, no. in japan same thing. where I live 60% of the population don't even know that during christmas christians celebrate the birth of jesus christ

bultje112

I don't believe that. Genesis is not some obscure american-only urban type word!

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Heirren

Wait, really? I think Genesis is one of the best product names of all time. Probably the ballsiest ad campaign EVER in the us. "GOD created Genesis?" Something like that could never happen these days.

Back in the early 90s it was popular for consoles to have "Super" or "Mega" in their names and game titles (i.e. Super Street Fighter II, Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart, ect.). It was a way of expressing hardware power and "awesomeness" to the kids (besides the bits) as well as to express exclusivity (altho to a lesser degree). The N64 was also supposed to be called the "Ultra 64" before it became just N64 (which was also expressing the "bits" which later became less relevant but it has a nostalgic connotation for some of us).

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 rilpas

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Heirren

I don't believe that. Genesis is not some obscure american-only urban type word!

Agreed, hell if the megadrive were called Genesis, most likely my parents would have hated Sega, they probably would have thought the name was an insult

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

in europe not many, no. rilpas

What? :| I'm european and I find that insulting, are you telling me the UK isn't religious? Portugal? Spain? France? Fricking Itally? the nation where Christianity hails from

south of europe is crhistian yes. but the rest not.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

in europe not many, no. bultje112

Except the markets I mentioned (_UK, France, Itally and to a lesser degree, Spain) are the Europe's biggest markets

you can also add Germany into the mix as well as over 65% of it's population is religious (at least according to their last census)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"] What? :| I'm european and I find that insulting, are you telling me the UK isn't religious? Portugal? Spain? France? Fricking Itally? the nation where Christianity hails from

rilpas

Except the markets I mentioned (_UK, France, Itally and to a lesser degree, Spain) are the Europe's biggest markets

you can also add Germany into the mix as well as over 65% of it's population is religious (at least according to their last census)

Not only that, but it is sort of indirectly calling people stupid, or illiterate.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Heirren

Not only that, but it is sort of indirectly calling people stupid, or illiterate.

agreed, even if you're not religious, who hasn't heard of the book of Genesis? I'm not Muslim, but I still know what the Quran is

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Back in the early 90s it was popular for consoles to have "Super" or "Mega" in their names and game titles (i.e. Super Street Fighter II, Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart, ect.). It was a way of expressing hardware power and "awesomeness" to the kids (besides the bits) as well as to express exclusivity (altho to a lesser degree). The N64 was also supposed to be called the "Ultra 64" before it became just N64 (which was also expressing the "bits" which later became less relevant but it has a nostalgic connotation for some of us).

I'm not grasping your point.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

I wanted to say the name Mega Drive seems more "in-line" with Super Nintendo than Genesis to me. Besides, it just sounds cooler. Never understood "Turbografix" tho :P

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

Did this thread just become about the semantics of the name Sega Genesis, honestly I never thought anything of the name in a religious sense. That is rediculous if someone would not buy a product just because it had a name that happened to be in the first book of the bible. Someone has a phobia.:? Naah, I like the Genesis name, it just seemed to make since, when I foundn out it was called the Mega Drive, I kind of thought that name was so boring. It just had the conotation of just being a piece of hardware. Genesis is a much more original name than just using super, or mega, with the word drive. When I think of a drive, I think either cars or computers. Case in point, the name Genesis makes since today, as mega drive does not hold much weight. Just like calling the original NES, the famicom, famicom sounds boring.

edit: yeah turbographics also does not have a long lasting name, it quickly wears out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

I wanted to say the name Mega Drive seems more "in-line" with Super Nintendo than Genesis to me. Besides, it just sounds cooler. Never understood "Turbografix" tho :P

Yes, but Genesis was released first. Sega, for a long period, maintained some great marketing minds. They obviously made some bad decisions, product wise, but Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast all looked great, and the names rolled off the tongue nicely. Had sega not F'd up with SegaCD and 32X, the Saturn probably would have competed better with the Playstation. Sega did WONDERS with the dreamcast launch...

Turbografix16? Well, it was all about graphics back then, especially in relation to numbers. The actual name though, imo, sounds like something Japanese that didn't translate well into english.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 rilpas
well in Japan it's called the PC engine, I'm guessing they didn't want IBM to sue them :P
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 bultje112

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Heirren

every person knows what the bible is yes, but not what genesis is. it's a bible book. basiclaly nobody knows them these days, a serious amount of christians don't even know the names although genesis is probably the most well known.

in germany 10% of the population is muslim. and 30% is christian. all the rest have other religions or their own religions or don't believe in anything at all. same for uk, netherlands, belgium, scandinavia and france. these religon polls are very much open. people are baiscallya sked if they believe in a god or in something of which usually 80% says yes and keep in mind countrys in southern europe have deep catholic roots but the countrys themselves are very secular. france may be the most perfect example of that in fact.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 mahlasor

I do not get how this turned into a discussion about religion, it is just a name that means the beginning, it definately suited the situation. It was the beginning of new gameplay, etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

bultje112

every person knows what the bible is yes, but not what genesis is. it's a bible book. basiclaly nobody knows them these days, a serious amount of christians don't even know the names although genesis is probably the most well known.

in germany 10% of the population is muslim. and 30% is christian. all the rest have other religions or their own religions or don't believe in anything at all. same for uk, netherlands, belgium, scandinavia and france. these religon polls are very much open. people are baiscallya sked if they believe in a god or in something of which usually 80% says yes and keep in mind countrys in southern europe have deep catholic roots but the countrys themselves are very secular. france may be the most perfect example of that in fact.

I don't think you understand just how wrong you are. Pigeon-holing the word to just religion, specifically, is silly.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 mahlasor

Exactly, I have never thought about religion when playing the Sega Genesis, maybe when I read the book of Genesis I thought "lol my Sega system is holy." And that is why it kicks ass, it is a holy system of kicking ass and chewing bubble gum. And I am all outta gum.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#328 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

bultje112

Your statistics are way off. I've been to Germany, and I didn't even need to look up the statistics to know you were wrong, but it's 65% of Germans are Christian, and 5% are Muslim. Not really that different then the US (I think it's like 75% Christian in the USA) I'm pretty sure that almost all non christians know what genesis is too since the term is used in many non religious settings.

I don't know why all of this is relevant thought lol.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 rilpas

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

bultje112

you'd have to pretty iliterate to live in the Western world and not know what the book of genesis is, regardless of your religion

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 mahlasor

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

imagine this game: Super Halo XD

Gary4safc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 Gary4safc
Member since 2012 • 77 Posts

Sorry I just can't vote on this. I loved both systems 100%. Playing Mario bros and Sonic the hedgehog made my childhood.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 mahlasor

Oh come on, you can plug headphones into the Sega Genesis! I have done it, such beast sound!

Fezzinator101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#333 Fezzinator101
Member since 2011 • 195 Posts

Sorry I just can't vote on this. I loved both systems 100%. Playing Mario bros and Sonic the hedgehog made my childhood.

Gary4safc

Same here i love both.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 mahlasor

Oh I loved both too, didnt mean I didnt have one I liked more than the other. But it is kind of true, they both were. This is not really a thread why one console sucks, and the other does not. But I believe there is the misconception that the Super Nintendo was just so overwhelmingly superior.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#335 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

I much prefered the snes. Snes was more technologically advanced (you can split hairs and cherry pick all you like buts its true) and although they had their work cut out for them, they had the most awesome games.

bultje112

I know someone else has alrady debated this with you but I am astounded you think the USA is the only christian nation out there. And the naming of the console didnt have as much to do with the religion as the name itself would suggest (it may even shock you that not everone in the US is christian, there are a lot of other religions and a massive athiest population). Though to avoid the religion thing Sega were planning on using the name megadrive but legal issues, presumably another company registering the name already, prevented them using it. So Europes religious tendencies (which i shant detail since I already said I want to avoid it) had nothing to do with the megadrive name since it came first.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 bultje112

the usa is a very christian country. as I like to call it every aspect of it basically has a christian sause over it. completely different from europe. I'm a teacher in history and religion I'm very aware of what countrys are christian and not and how it works. I've also traveled to many places

I know why sega chose the name because it's the beginning of a new era with sega. however in the usa more people would recognize that than in europe or japan. that's why it was a smart choice from sega for the us market

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#337 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

Genesis came first, because Sega wanted to beat out the NES. Yet I still believe the NES was a way better system than the Genesis simply due to the ambition to which games were made, howfar the hardware was driven and also of course because of the first party classics. Mario games have and always will beat out Sonic games over and over, and taking the history of the Sonic games vs Mario games across several systems since then, this theory only proves more and more true.

Then the SNES came along and brought us even greater classics. Yet, not only that, but the SNES was a much stronger piece of hardware than the Genesis, and could do lots more. This was plainly evident by the fact that whenever arcade ports were brought over for both systems, the SNES always had the Genesis beat - games like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat prove this. Forget the fact that Mortal Kombat for the Genesis had blood. The SNES version not only looked way better, it also played way better. The controller was also more flexible and had the capacity to handle more complicated games (I'm still wondering how SF2 and MK gamers were able to play those games on that piece of crap Genesis 3-button controller... was the Start button used as a punch button or something? Lol)

Sure, Genesis had a much more obnoxious and forceful fanboy crowd, but the SNES gamers and Nintendo themselves simply sat back and said "look, boast all you want, you and I know that the SNES has got you all beat hands down." And it did.

While I won't start going into detail about specific game genres, and if RPG's had better games on Genesis, or action games were better with the SNES. Whatever. We're talking about not only hardware here, but how each company promoted and sold their product, and of course how they maintained it throughout the system's longevity. This is not some debate like the 360 vs the PS3 (even though I personally think the 360 is crap compared to the PS3, even though the 360 has a more mainstream fanboy casual gamer crowd), because in terms of hardware, both systems are virtually identical. No, the SNES is a clear winner over the Genesis in every aspect of the hardware department, so it surprises me that this vote could put the Genesis over the SNES, even though to all gamers alike, no matter WHAT platform you have now, cannot deny that Nintendo has done more to progress the video game market than any other company ever has overall.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 nameless12345

Genesis came first, because Sega wanted to beat out the NES. Yet I still believe the NES was a way better system than the Genesis simply due to the ambition to which games were made, howfar the hardware was driven and also of course because of the first party classics. Mario games have and always will beat out Sonic games over and over, and taking the history of the Sonic games vs Mario games across several systems since then, this theory only proves more and more true.

Then the SNES came along and brought us even greater classics. Yet, not only that, but the SNES was a much stronger piece of hardware than the Genesis, and could do lots more. This was plainly evident by the fact that whenever arcade ports were brought over for both systems, the SNES always had the Genesis beat - games like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat prove this. Forget the fact that Mortal Kombat for the Genesis had blood. The SNES version not only looked way better, it also played way better. The controller was also more flexible and had the capacity to handle more complicated games (I'm still wondering how SF2 and MK gamers were able to play those games on that piece of crap Genesis 3-button controller... was the Start button used as a punch button or something? Lol)

Sure, Genesis had a much more obnoxious and forceful fanboy crowd, but the SNES gamers and Nintendo themselves simply sat back and said "look, boast all you want, you and I know that the SNES has got you all beat hands down." And it did.

While I won't start going into detail about specific game genres, and if RPG's had better games on Genesis, or action games were better with the SNES. Whatever. We're talking about not only hardware here, but how each company promoted and sold their product, and of course how they maintained it throughout the system's longevity. This is not some debate like the 360 vs the PS3 (even though I personally think the 360 is crap compared to the PS3, even though the 360 has a more mainstream fanboy casual gamer crowd), because in terms of hardware, both systems are virtually identical. No, the SNES is a clear winner over the Genesis in every aspect of the hardware department, so it surprises me that this vote could put the Genesis over the SNES, even though to all gamers alike, no matter WHAT platform you have now, cannot deny that Nintendo has done more to progress the video game market than any other company ever has overall.

metalgrinch

Actually MK on the Gen/MD has more responsive controlls. SNES port looks and sounds better but had bugged gameplay and no blood (which was a big problem for a game that bet everything on violence). And the MD main processor was faster than SNES' one (not that it's the most important thing but just to correct your statement that it was better in every way, technically).

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 mahlasor

^ You realise... The Genesis was all about arcade action, right? Well good some new debate, I like this topic. Games like Road Rash were on the Sega Genesis, originally an arcade game. You have it wrong, the Genesis played better, the SNES looked better, it was like the Genesis could emulate the gameplay, but not the graphics. While the SNES could not emulate the gameplay, but they could emulate the graphics and sound. Gameplay > graphics. The thing about how Nintendo only gamers think, is they think only their games matter. Sega had an answer to everything Nintendo was good at, like Sonic. Sonic actually kicked Mario's butt in those days. Mario was the old man, Sonic was the new young person who had more energy. I swear I could mention a game like MUSHA looking so freaking awesome in every aspect, and a Super Nintendo fanboy will just think "yeah but it has nothing to do with Nintendo." Nintendo really created a loyal base, which they had thanks the NES 60 million console owners. The above post = full of misconception. For one thing the Genesis was about bringing arcades to the home. The Sega Genesis has a secret weapo to the rpg problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N6DUOeLhr0

And the Sega Genesis actually got a new RPG game. Though I am not really into RPGs as much, not like this, but maybe some day I will get into pure rpg type games.

edit: someone beat me to it.:P That is what makes this debate so fun because it is not black and white.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 rilpas

Sure, Genesis had a much more obnoxious and forceful fanboy crowd,but the SNES gamers and Nintendo themselves simply sat back and said "look, boast all you want, you and I know that the SNES has got you all beat hands down." And it did. metalgrinch

right because this comment isn't forceful or obnoxious :roll:

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#341 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19514 Posts

rilpas

I'm from the UK too, but I'd have to disagree. The majority of Brits are not religious, but the majority simply identify with Christianity culturally rather than in a religious sense. The term for this would be "cultural Christians". As for France, that country is more anti-religion rather than religious, like with, for example, their attempts to ban religious symbols in public places. As for Italy, that's where Catholocism hailed from, not Christianity as a whole. Christianity itself originates from Palestine/Israel and I can guarantee you that the majority of the population there (i.e. Muslims and Jews) do not know what the word "genesis" means... And that's pretty much why Mega Drive was the console's name used in every single country other than the US and Canada.

agreed, even if you're not religious, who hasn't heard of the book of Genesis? I'm not Muslim, but I still know what the Quran is

rilpas

Yes, but would you know what the first chapter of the Quran is? Exactly, you wouldn't unless you looked it up online. Most non-Christians would know the Bible, but you can't expect them to know the Genesis.

Did this thread just become about the semantics of the name Sega Genesis, honestly I never thought anything of the name in a religious sense. That is rediculous if someone would not buy a product just because it had a name that happened to be in the first book of the bible. Someone has a phobia.:? Naah, I like the Genesis name, it just seemed to make since, when I foundn out it was called the Mega Drive, I kind of thought that name was so boring. It just had the conotation of just being a piece of hardware. Genesis is a much more original name than just using super, or mega, with the word drive. When I think of a drive, I think either cars or computers. Case in point, the name Genesis makes since today, as mega drive does not hold much weight. Just like calling the original NES, the famicom, famicom sounds boring.

edit: yeah turbographics also does not have a long lasting name, it quickly wears out.

mahlasor

To me, Mega Drive just sounds like a cooler name for a console and rolls off the tongue more easily. But I think the name preference has a lot more to do with where you grew up. North American gamers will mostly prefer Genesis, while gamers from the rest of the world will mostly prefer Mega Drive.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 rilpas

] I'm from the UK too, but I'd have to disagree. The majority of Brits are not religious, but the majority simply identify with Christianity culturally rather than in a religious sense. The term for this would be "cultural Christians". As for France, that country is more anti-religion rather than religious, like with, for example, their attempts to ban religious symbols in public places. As for Italy, that's where Catholocism hailed from, not Christianity as a whole. Christianity itself originates from Palestine/Israel and I can guarantee you that the majority of the population there (i.e. Muslims and Jews) do not know what the word "genesis" means... And that's pretty much why Mega Drive was the console's name used in every single country other than the US and Canada. Jag85

even if you're not christian, our countries are of christian descent, most of our society was based on christianty, from the way our families are often viewed to the laws we make

I'm not religious, but Religion has shaped most of the western world's society

EDIT: when I say christianty I meant catholocism in general

EDIT2: According to the CIA factbook (which updates it's info with census) 71% of the UK is christian, 83% of France is christian

Yes, but would you know what the first chapter of the Quran is? Exactly, you wouldn't unless you looked it up online. Most non-Christians would know the Bible, but you can't expect them to know the Genesis.stly prefer Genesis, while gamers from the rest of the world will mostly prefer Mega Drive.

Jag85

no I don't, I also don't know the first chapter of the Book of Genesis or even what first chapter of the bibble as I never read it, I don't see how those are related, in the end I still know what they are

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343 bultje112

how do you know what genesis is if you have no idea about the bible. unless it's a portugese word that I don't know

and also the first point. yes it's christian culture which is different from active christian religion. in the usa there's still lots of religion. here in europe you can find huge cathedrals and churches and elements of christian culture and history but the people living here are barely christian anymore. as was said they indentifie with some christian values and with some values not at all.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344 mahlasor

I personally think Mega Drive sounds generic.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 rilpas

how do you know what genesis is if you have no idea about the bible. unless it's a portugese word that I don't knowbultje112

because it's common knowledge?

Do I know the words or the knowledge in there contained? no, I don't. But I still know what genesis means, I also know it's an important christian book

and also the first point. yes it's christian culture which is different from active christian religion. in the usa there's still lots of religion. here in europe you can find huge cathedrals and churches and elements of christian culture and history but the people living here are barely christian anymore. as was said they indentifie with some christian values and with some values not at all.

bultje112

thing is, most of our values comes from christiniaty, christmas, marriage, the laws that were based off the ten commandments

but even if you don't know any of this, I would say you have to be fairly iliterate to read something called "genesis" or "book of genesis" and not make the connection to christianity

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 Jag85

Yes, but Genesis was released first. Sega, for a long period, maintained some great marketing minds. They obviously made some bad decisions, product wise, but Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast all looked great, and the names rolled off the tongue nicely. Had sega not F'd up with SegaCD and 32X, the Saturn probably would have competed better with the Playstation. Sega did WONDERS with the dreamcast launch...

Turbografix16? Well, it was all about graphics back then, especially in relation to numbers. The actual name though, imo, sounds like something Japanese that didn't translate well into english.

Heirren

The name Sega Mega Drive was originally conceived to match the naming scheme of its predecessor, the Sega Master System. Since the Sega Master System was very successful in Europe (where it dominated the NES), the Mega Drive would have been a suitable name for a successor console. In North America, on the other hand, the Sega Master System was unsuccessful, so they probably made up the name "Genesis" to indicate a fresh start for Sega in the region, though that was only after legal issues prevented them from using the Mega Drive name.
well in Japan it's called the PC engine, I'm guessing they didn't want IBM to sue them :Prilpas
Except that IBM couldn't even be bothered to sue all those IBM PC clone manufacturers... But I think the name has more to do with the Japanese using "computer" in a more general sense at the time, like the NES's original name "Family Computer", later shortened to Famicom.

metalgrinch

1. The NES was great for its time, but its hardware wasn't even any match for the Sega Master System, let alone the Mega Drive / Genesis. The Sega Master System also had many ambitious classics to rival the NES, but neither system comes close to the classics on the the Mega Drive.

2. The Mega Drive had a faster CPU and a larger colour palette than the SNES. The SNES was technically superior in some ways, while the Mega Drive was superior in other ways.

3. That's funny, because your love for Nintendo makes you sound like the perfect example of the kind of "obnoxious and forceful fanboys" you're referring to.

4. Sega has done just as much as Nintendo to progress the video game market, if not more. Sega were producing electro-mechanical arcade games as far back as the 1960s, years before either Atari or Nintendo entered the arcade gaming industry. Sega produced the first arcade games played on a screen in the late 60s, years before true video games like Pong came along. Sega produced the first pseudo-3D games with a third-person perspective in the 70s, years before third-person racing games like Pole Position came along. Sega also produced the first isometric games in the early 80s, Sega even produced the first stereoscopic 3D games in the early 1980s, decades before the Nintendo 3DS. Sega also produced full-body motion controls in the early 90s, a decade before the Wii. Sega were also responsible for popularizing polygonal 3D graphics in the early 90s, back when Nintendo were much happier sticking with 2D games. Sega also started the first online console gaming services in the 90s, long before the Xbox. And this just barely scratches the surface of how much Sega has contributed to the gaming industry.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]well in Japan it's called the PC engine, I'm guessing they didn't want IBM to sue them :PJag85
Except that IBM couldn't even be bothered to sue all those IBM PC clone manufacturers... But I think the name has more to do with the Japanese using "computer" in a more general sense at the time, like the NES's original name "Family Computer", later shortened to Famicom.

good call there, I never saw it that way

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

how do you know what genesis is if you have no idea about the bible. unless it's a portugese word that I don't knowrilpas

because it's common knowledge?

Do I know the words or the knowledge in there contained? no, I don't. But I still know what genesis means, I also know it's an important christian book

bultje112

thing is, most of our values comes from christiniaty, christmas, marriage, the laws that were based off the ten commandments

but even if you don't know any of this, I would say you have to be fairly iliterate to read something called "genesis" or "book of genesis" and not make the connection to christianity

genesis is not a common word that people know what it means. it derives only from the bible and unless you know some elements of the bible like the books names and storys you have no idea what genesis is. like most people in europa don't know. as I said if 80% of the people here in netherlands at least don't know christmas is supposed to be the celebration of the birth of jesus then how do you think they know what genesis is.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 Jag85

even if you're not christian, our countries are of christian descent, most of our society was based on christianty, from the way our families are often viewed to the laws we make

EDIT2: According to the CIA factbook (which updates it's info with census) 71% of the UK is christian, 83% of France is christian

rilpas

That's exactly what I mean. The majority of Europeans identify with Christianity only because of how much it has shaped European values/cultures, not because they necessarily believe in it. Yes, the Census figures indicate the majority of Europeans are Christians, but they don't make any distinction between actual believing Christians and cultural Christians.

no I don't, I also don't know the first chapter of the Book of Genesis or even what first chapter of the bibble as I never read it, I don't see how those are related, in the end I still know what they are

rilpas

My point is that the Genesis is only one part of the Bible. It's not the same thing as knowing the name of the entire holy book, like the Bible or the Quran.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Jag85

That's exactly what I mean. The majority of Europeans identify with Christianity only because of how much it has shaped European values/cultures, not because they necessarily believe in it. Yes, the Census figures indicate the majority of Europeans are Christians, but they don't make any distinction between actual believing Christians and cultural Christians.

My point is that the Genesis is only one part of the Bible. It's not the same thing as knowing the name of the entire holy book, like the Bible or the Quran.

maybe so, but in the end, when you read the word "genesis" you're more likely to connect it to christianity, which was my original argument