SNES vs Sega Genesis/Mega Drive [poll added]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

I have to say I liked SNES better back then but now I almost like Mega Drive better.

Kaszilla

Sonic and knuckles is better than Yoshi's island.

Well, I wouldn't agree with this but to each his own eh.

s3g3nd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 s3g3nd0
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Genesis does what nintendon't

rabbids4eva

Super NES is what Genesisn't

Graphics: SNES most of the time

Sound & Music: Mega Drive/Genesis most of the time

Outcome: Tie (I have both and they are equally great)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 nameless12345

[QUOTE="rabbids4eva"]

s3g3nd0

I found the MD sound in most multi-plats considerably worse than SNES' sound. MD has a higher default res tho.

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts
I'd have to say MegaDrive but only because it's what I grew up on.
Urban_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Urban_Flow
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

Sega Genesis 4 Life. I never liked SNES.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#56 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I'd say Sega Genesis
AppleJudgement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 AppleJudgement
Member since 2011 • 475 Posts

I absolutely adore both systems. Two of the greatest systems EVER made. And the intensecompetition between Nintendo and Sega bred that greatness in those systems. Both have very solid hardware, and a great library of games.

Howeverif I was made to choose between them, I'd choose SNES simply because I prefer it's game library to Sega Genesis's game library. And most of the multiplatform games look and/or sound better than the Genesis versions.

The best way to compare systems, though, is to compare it's game libraries, which is what REALLY counts when comparing systems.

FavoriteSNES Exclusives:

• Aero Fighters
  • Actraiser
  • Breath of Fire 1 & 2
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country 1-3
  • Final Fantasy 2 & 3
  • Final Fight 1-3
  • F-Zero
  • Gradius III
  • The Illusion of Gaia
  • Mega Man 8
  • Mega Man X 1-3
  • Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
  • R-Type III
  • Star Fox
  • Street Fighter: Alpha 2
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super R-Type
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
  • Tetris + Dr. Mario
  • X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

FavoriteSega Genesis Exclusives:

• Altered Beast
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Eternal Champions
  • Golden Axe 1 & 2
  • Mortal Kombat 1 (The Uncensored Version which is VERY Censored on SNES)
  • MUSHA
  • Phantasy Star 2-4
  • The Punisher
  • Revenge of Shinobi
  • Ristar
  • Road Rash 1-3
  • Shining Force
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Space Harrier II
  • Spider-Man (1991)
  • Splatterhouse 2 & 3
  • Streets of Rage 1-3
  • Strider
  • Vectorman 1 & 2
  • X-Men 1 & 2

Great Games on Both Systems:

• Cool Spot
  • Darius Twin
  • Death & Return of Superman
  • Maximum Carnage (Spider-Man)
  • Mortal Kombat 2 & 3
  • Raiden
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Seperation Anxiety (Spider-Man)
  • Street Fighter II
  • Super Street Fighter II
Emerald_Warrior
In terms of high quality gaming I will always believe it is ndeniable that the Neo-Geo/Turbo16/cd combo is the best two systems that gen especially since it covers EVERYTHING in almost every genre you can think of and all these original games while Genesis and SNES games, especially thrid parties, focused on copying but eh. Genesis and SNES were goo. Just not better than Nec and SNK. At the time. Nec became irrelevant as soon as the first demo of a PC-FX games was shown.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

In terms of high quality gaming I will always believe it is ndeniable that the Neo-Geo/Turbo16/cd combo is the best two systems that gen especially since it covers EVERYTHING in almost every genre you can think of and all these original games while Genesis and SNES games, especially thrid parties, focused on copying but eh. Genesis and SNES were goo. Just not better than Nec and SNK. At the time. Nec became irrelevant as soon as the first demo of a PC-FX games was shown. AppleJudgement

I don't remember the TG16 or the neogeo having very many RPG's or racing games

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Both, i can't really choose

Sound & Music: Mega Drive/Genesis most of the times3g3nd0
it is the other way around IMO

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

[QUOTE="AppleJudgement"] In terms of high quality gaming I will always believe it is ndeniable that the Neo-Geo/Turbo16/cd combo is the best two systems that gen especially since it covers EVERYTHING in almost every genre you can think of and all these original games while Genesis and SNES games, especially thrid parties, focused on copying but eh. Genesis and SNES were goo. Just not better than Nec and SNK. At the time. Nec became irrelevant as soon as the first demo of a PC-FX games was shown. ohthemanatee

I don't remember the TG16 or the neogeo having very many RPG's or racing games

They didn't. Neo Geo was basically only really good for fighters and the TG16 for shumps. I can't think of a single RPG for the Neo Geo - and why would there be one? It was the home variant of an arcade platform. I can't really say that much about the japanese-exclusive PCE games on CD-ROM, as I've only played a small selection of them (though most of the titles considered important) - but I wouldn't count on the vast majority of them being worthwhile.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#61 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="rabbids4eva"]

s3g3nd0

Definetly don't agree with this. There are exceptions, such as the Sonic the Hedgehog games and Strider, but a good majority of Genesis games has music that sounds really bad and really similar to each other. While the SNES has some really fantastic music from series like Chrono Trigger and Donkey Kong Country.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

the music is a bit of a mixed bag like with most. some genesis sound awesome and better than snes(sonic 3d). same way as some genesis games look and above all play better because no slowdown and faster processor. especially sports games or shooters

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 doubutsuteki

the music is a bit of a mixed bag like with most. some genesis sound awesome and better than snes(sonic 3d). same way as some genesis games look and above all play better because no slowdown and faster processor. especially sports games or shooters

bultje112

I've learnt to better appreciate the soundtrack to SOR3 lately - eventhough I consider much of it to be plagued with what I prefer to describe as moron beats. It's still very impressive in its entirety. Basically, what synthesis allows for is greater freedom in bending/molding sounds. Doing something similar on the SNES that sounds "real" and that has any kind of similar energy or punch to it is basically not possible - it'll be a muffled sounding clicking sample mess. The SNES sound hardware is put to best use in orchestral music, IMO.

Boss Theme

Beat Ambience

Random Cross

Crazy Train

Inga Rasen

Fuze

Among the tracks that most recall SOR1&2 is:

Happy Paradise

Edit: Meant to post rips, not tracks from the OST. Oh well, the differences are small.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 nameless12345

bultje112

The slow CPU issue on the SNES could effectively be resolved with add-on chips, which were quite frequent on the SNES. For example Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings used the DSP chip (for increased scaling capabilites, i.e. Mode-7), Star Fox used the Super FX chip (for faster 3D graphics) while Kirby Super Star, Dream Land 3 and Mario RPG used the SA-1 chip, which was the same as the SNES CPU but clocked much higher (10 Mhz opposed to 3.5 Mhz).

SNES also had a higher color palette and could display more colors at once. Altho some MD games managed to look quite colorful too with the help of palette-swapping tricks (the Sonic games in particular).

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 JuarN18

The SNES sound hardware is put to best use in orchestral music, IMO.doubutsuteki
it is also very good emulating a bass and percussion instruments for example:

Vampire Killer SNES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR1W_OsAc6k&feature=related

Vampire Killer Genesis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef98gcC9EPU

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 doubutsuteki

[QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]The SNES sound hardware is put to best use in orchestral music, IMO.JuarN18

it is also very good emulating a bass and percussion instruments for example:

Vampire Killer SNES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR1W_OsAc6k&feature=related

Vampire Killer Genesis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef98gcC9EPU

I think that both versions sound atrocious. Unlike on the NES.

More Konami goodness on NES: Rollergames 1st example | 2nd example

And since it's morning (here anyway) :cool:

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 JuarN18
That Mr Gimmick game looks awesome, the music is really good too
I think that both versions sound atrocious.doubutsuteki
:shock: i still prefer the SNES version, to each his own i guess
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 doubutsuteki

That Mr Gimmick game looks awesome, the music is really good too

JuarN18

I think that the game is mediocre at best (and Rollergames is an unfair and unforgiving piece of trash, one of Konami's worst games). But - yeah, the soundtrack is well above average IMO.

:shock: i still prefer the SNES version, to each his own i guessJuarN18

Of course.

For example Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings used the DSP chip (for increased scaling capabilites, i.e. Mode-7)[...]

nameless12345

The only problem with mode 7, for me anyway, is that after playing a game like Super Mario Kart for any longer period of time I'm left with a headache.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

Hmmm problem with these argument is a lot of unknown Genesis games are not even knowned, and no one even bothered to mention MUSHA. There is a false notion that the Super Nintendo had way better hardware, because a lot of the first year Genesis games did look inferior. But later on the Genesis really picks up the slack. Its a lot of timing involved, mostly imagine if Sega didnt make so many mistakes, and lose their focus. That is where a lot of good games became overshadowed. There was a lot of untapped power in the Genesis, Nintendo just automatically used the SNES to its full abilities. Games like Robocop Vs. the Terminator being far superior on the Genesis proves my point. I think it comes down to if you like the more kiddish graphics and sound the SNES, over the more adult oriented games on the Genesis. The Genesis had a different tone compared to the SNES. Some say that the SNES had way more clear sound, I think it was that they put more bass simply, while the Genesis has more treble. Though if you own a Model 1 Genesis, it has better sound quality. There is so much that could be discussed, and sometime I will when I feel like it shed some light unto games that were largely ignored.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#70 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I still have a Super Nintendo with 40 games and a Sega MegaDrive with 30 games. The 16-bit era was my most important generation of Videogames. I played tons of hours on both systems. This is when I played the most. However I would have to give the SNES the edge when it comes to my favorite system.

Snes 49.10 Million sold Vs Genesis 39 million sold.16 bit goodness from both consoles.

The model one editions of both consoles are the best, There the ones I have. Didn't like SNES 2, or Genesis 2,&,3

darkdude2k12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 darkdude2k12
Member since 2011 • 874 Posts

SNES handled games much better hands down. Not to mention the fact that SNES had early transparencies, better sound, better color and smoother movement. However, Genesis wasn't a slouch being that it had bigger sprites, actually put blood in games and more hardware. (sega cd, x-band, 32x, game genie, two different style controllers, 3 different styles of Genesisetc)

I'd say Genesis also had the advantage with sports titles. With that said, the SNES had a much better library of games overall. I mean, you're talking Donkey Kong, Mario, Final Fantasy and loads of RPG's, Final Fight series, better Street Fighter games, Metroid, and a ton of gamesmost people haven't played.The Genesis had lots of games aswell that are memorable, but name one game on Genesis that even rivals Donkey Kong Country. In short, they were both great consoles who are almost on par with each other, but I still remember liking the SNES alot more.

Manimal2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72 Manimal2000
Member since 2011 • 174 Posts

Well all the Genesis has is SOnic, SOnic 2, SOnic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles but thats enough to make me like it more.

darkdude2k12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 darkdude2k12
Member since 2011 • 874 Posts

Well all the Genesis has is SOnic, SOnic 2, SOnic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles but thats enough to make me like it more.

Manimal2000

All games which can be beat within the hour. That's not taking anything away from Genesis, but the SNES had more games with replay value. DKC alone has so many levels and secrets as well as most SNES games. Genesis had some gems, but I could name SNES games that were better.

Gen Beat em ups- SOR 1,2,3, TMNTHH, Fist of the North Star, X-perts

SNES beat em ups- Final Fight 1,2,3, Undercover Cops, Double Dragon and Battletoads, Ninja Warriors etc.

Gen Platformers- Sonic 1,2,3, SAK,S3DB, Vectorman 1 and 2, Pulseman, Rocket Knight Adventures (which was better on the Genesis IMO)

Snes Platformers- Donkey Kong country 1,2,3, Super Mario land, Yoshi's Island,Actrasierseries,Hagane etc. (DKC titles alone beat out Sonic games)

SNES RPG's- Secret of evermore, FF3, Chrono Trigger, Secret of the mana 1, 2 and the long list of other RPG's.

Gen RPG's- Beyond Oasis, Phantasy star series, Lunar, Shining Force etc (all under par in comparison to Chrono Trigger or FF)

SNES Graphics- Smooth movement, lots of color, transparencies/mode 7

Genesis graphics- Gritty, washed up at times, big sprites, was capable of some pseudo3D (X-perts)

SNES sound- Better in every way.

Genesis sound- Scratchy, midi quality

SNES controller- Thumbs got sore from them but had smoother control for fighting games.

Genesis controller- Much better and thumbs less sore, though fighting games were a pain to pull off simple moves.

Catridges- Genesis had better looking carts IMO. Smaller.

Console appearance- Genesis hands down. The Genesis 2 and 3 are very attractive.

Still doesn't discredit the fact that the SNES is better with games.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Dudersaper
I agree with darkdude here, even though I do prefer the Genesis, mostly out of a matter of nostalgia.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
I personally think the genesis has the best RPG of it's generation: Shadowrun there's just nothing quite like it. And yes, i know there's a shadowrun game for the SNES, but it's quite different
Manimal2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#76 Manimal2000
Member since 2011 • 174 Posts

[QUOTE="Manimal2000"]

Well all the Genesis has is Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles but thats enough to make me like it more.

darkdude2k12

All games which can be beat within the hour. That's not taking anything away from Genesis, but the SNES had more games with replay value. DKC alone has so many levels and secrets as well as most SNES games. Genesis had some gems, but I could name SNES games that were better.

I don't care. I've played the games many times and I can still play them for years to come. I'm super biased towards the Genesis because it was my first system and Sonic 2 was the first video game I ever played.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Dudersaper

[QUOTE="darkdude2k12"]

[QUOTE="Manimal2000"]

Well all the Genesis has is Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles but thats enough to make me like it more.

Manimal2000

I don't care. I've played the games many times and I can still play them for years to come. I'm super biased towards the Genesis because it was my first system and Sonic 2 was the first video game I ever played.

Exactly the same as me :P
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

nameless12345

The slow CPU issue on the SNES could effectively be resolved with add-on chips, which were quite frequent on the SNES. For example Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings used the DSP chip (for increased scaling capabilites, i.e. Mode-7), Star Fox used the Super FX chip (for faster 3D graphics) while Kirby Super Star, Dream Land 3 and Mario RPG used the SA-1 chip, which was the same as the SNES CPU but clocked much higher (10 Mhz opposed to 3.5 Mhz).

SNES also had a higher color palette and could display more colors at once. Altho some MD games managed to look quite colorful too with the help of palette-swapping tricks (the Sonic games in particular).

I dont'care about add on chips. fact is 99% of all snes games didn't use them and especially shooters and sports games suffered from this. huge hardware fault in my book. the cpu was not much faster even than nes. the megadrive was from technical standpoint great system and easy to develop for. that's why to this day it is unclear/debatable which system was more powerful or had better looking/playign games the snes or the genesis. despite genesis being 2 years older.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 bultje112

I personally think the genesis has the best RPG of it's generation: Shadowrun there's just nothing quite like it. And yes, i know there's a shadowrun game for the SNES, but it's quite differentrilpas

and phantasy star 4. snes had quantity in many departments like rpg. genesis had quality although I will say the snes had better game library overall but like I said if you have 15 rpg;'s that are 8/10 it beats down 2 rpg's of 10/10 on genesis. of course snes also had some killer rpg's 10/10s but the genesis top rpg's against snes top rpg's were very close imo. shining force (2) was also the best startegy rpg I played until saturn came with sf3 scenarios

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]I personally think the genesis has the best RPG of it's generation: Shadowrun there's just nothing quite like it. And yes, i know there's a shadowrun game for the SNES, but it's quite differentbultje112

and phantasy star 4. snes had quantity in many departments like rpg. genesis had quality although I will say the snes had better game library overall but like I said if you have 15 rpg;'s that are 8/10 it beats down 2 rpg's of 10/10 on genesis. of course snes also had some killer rpg's 10/10s but the genesis top rpg's against snes top rpg's were very close imo. shining force (2) was also the best startegy rpg I played until saturn came with sf3 scenarios

Phantasy star 4 is a great game, but the SNES DOES have some RPG's in the same league as Phantasy star 4 like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 as for Shadowrun the SNES literally has nothing to compete with, it's a on open ended sandbox RPG, it's like Fallout before Fallout
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 doubutsuteki

SNES Graphics- Smooth movement, lots of color, transparencies/mode 7

Genesis graphics- Gritty, washed up at times, big sprites, was capable of some pseudo3D (X-perts)darkdude2k12

Smoothness of movement? Depends entirely on the game. Although that's more characteristic of Genesis games generally.

SNES sound- Better in every way.

Genesis sound- Scratchy, midi qualitydarkdude2k12

Haha, MIDI? Are you for real? You've heard the soundtracks to the SOR-games, and yet you manage to come up with something like that.

This is MIDI.

Your preference is for a crude sampler that was improved in almost every way for the PlayStation. It cannot be compared to the sound hardware on the Mega Drive, they're worlds apart.

SNES controller- Thumbs got sore from them but had smoother control for fighting games.

Genesis controller- Much better and thumbs less sore, though fighting games were a pain to pull off simple moves.darkdude2k12

Referring to the original 3-button controller for the Genesis then?

Catridges- Genesis had better looking carts IMO. Smaller.darkdude2k12

The only thing we agree on - and the most redundant thing too.

Console appearance- Genesis hands down. The Genesis 2 and 3 are very attractive.darkdude2k12

They look cheap - and they were for a fact cheaply made, inferior models to the original Mega Drive.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

I don't know if one was better than the other. I'd say that SNES was better with original games, while Genesis was absolutely awesome at bringing home the arcade experience.

SNES had games like Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, LOZ, etc.

Genesis brough home wonderful versions of arcade classics like Altered Beast, Space Harrier II, Super Hang-on, Strider, After Burner, etc.

Actually, now I think I change my answer to Genesis (if I HAD TO pick one).

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#84 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Super Nintendo by far Best ystem ever.

It got the best versions of the multiplats, a better controller, and way more legendary exclusives.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 BuryMe

cant understand how ppl like snes

the same games over and over

childish

genesis with sonic and ecco

shining force 1+2

and many more is the real winner

yomanjdf

Does not compute...

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 nameless12345

[QUOTE="yomanjdf"]

childish

shining force 1+2

BuryMe

Does not compute...

Yeah, I almost forgot that Sega fans already called Nintendo "kiddy" back then. And then they went to play Sonic and Mickey Mouse :P

Avatar image for Vortexshadowray
Vortexshadowray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Vortexshadowray
Member since 2012 • 110 Posts
SNK, NEC, Philips, and Commodore. but in this case Gen. Both had so much unoriginality and mee too games though it scares me. "Wait that item is cool. let's put in in our game" 37 others 'MEEE TOOOOOO" HEY! Let's use this battle system" 343434 others :MEEE TOOOOO" Let;s thing of some bizzare idea no one will think of and use it in our game only. "USSSS TOOOOO" that was 533566655 people that time.
Avatar image for Vortexshadowray
Vortexshadowray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Vortexshadowray
Member since 2012 • 110 Posts

It got the best versions of the multiplats, a better controller, and way more legendary exclusives.

BuryMe
Since you said system ever, that's a loophole to destroy your best multiplat claim. NES nor Gen had the best multiplats. Legendary exclusives? Debatable, and most of them no one gave a **** about till the next gen. Denying that is utter failure.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 BuryMe

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

Vortexshadowray

Since you said system ever, that's a loophole to destroy your best multiplat claim. NES nor Gen had the best multiplats. Legendary exclusives? Debatable, and most of them no one gave a **** about till the next gen. Denying that is utter failure.

Super Mario World, Zelda, Super Metroid, Kiler Instinct, Donkey Kong Country, etc. were pretty popular in their day...

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 bultje112

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

[QUOTE="yomanjdf"]

childish

shining force 1+2

nameless12345

Does not compute...

Yeah, I almost forgot that Sega fans already called Nintendo "kiddy" back then. And then they went to play Sonic and Mickey Mouse :P

there's not much kiddy about sonic and mickey wasn't exatcly popular compared to streets of rage, golden axe, mortal kombat, sports games etc etc

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#91 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

I'm a huge fan of both consoles and I am a die-hard Nintendo fan, which is why it pains me to say the Genesis was slightly better.

Just to clarify, the Genesis was my first console and I was a die-hard Sega fan until I got a 64 in '97. I guess the reason I love it so much is I was a huge fan of side-scroller beat-'em-ups in my childhood, and the Genesis had Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, etc. It also came with the greatest pack-in game I own, the Gensis 6-Pak, a collection of Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi (which I think is superior to Ninja Gaiden), Sonic the Hedgehog, Columns (a decent Tetris Clone, had some good Roman-style music), and Super Hang-On (a mediocre motorcycle race title, but still kind of addicting). I've owned this thing for 17 years, and I didn't own a Super Nintendo until 8 months ago, and all I have for that is Star Fox and Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (the '94 pack-in), although I have been playing the SNES since I was 3 at my grandparents. The Genesis for better beat-'em-ups and pure Nostalgia.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 doubutsuteki

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

Vortexshadowray

That's a load of bull though. The SNES had lots of popular games in its time. I'm talking from experience, but the fact many SNES-exclusives got sequels on the same system is good enough proof of that today, I think.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

Vortexshadowray

Nobody cared about SNES exclusives until the next-generation? HA! That's hilarious. Were you even there back then, or what? All these games were huge hits:

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country 1-3
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Final Fantasy 2 & 3
  • Final Fight 1-3
  • Mega Man 7
  • Mega Man X 1-3
  • Sim City
  • StarFox
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time
  • Wolfenstein 3-D
  • Yoshi's Island
  • X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
im_mr_brown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 im_mr_brown
Member since 2006 • 2970 Posts

I had a Genesis as a kid but now that I'm older I wish that I would've asked for a SNES that Christmas. Sega reeled me in with the advertising!

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 rilpas

[QUOTE="Vortexshadowray"][QUOTE="BuryMe"]

Emerald_Warrior

Nobody cared about SNES exclusives until the next-generation? HA! That's hilarious. Were you even there back then, or what? All these games were huge hits:

• Sim City
  • Wolfenstein 3-D

if people played these two on the SNES... then they were doing it wrong :P

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Vortexshadowray"] Since you said system ever, that's a loophole to destroy your best multiplat claim. NES nor Gen had the best multiplats. Legendary exclusives? Debatable, and most of them no one gave a **** about till the next gen. Denying that is utter failure.rilpas

• Sim City
  • Wolfenstein 3-D

if people played these two on the SNES... then they were doing it wrong :P

A lot of people didn't have computers back then. They weren't nearly as common in households as they are now. So yeah, a lot of people did play those games on SNES back in the day.

limonman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 limonman32
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

I'm going to say SNES because it had Earthbound, Final Fantasy IV, VI, Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, and more.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

I'm a huge fan of both consoles and I am a die-hard Nintendo fan, which is why it pains me to say the Genesis was slightly better.

Just to clarify, the Genesis was my first console and I was a die-hard Sega fan until I got a 64 in '97. I guess the reason I love it so much is I was a huge fan of side-scroller beat-'em-ups in my childhood, and the Genesis had Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, etc. It also came with the greatest pack-in game I own, the Gensis 6-Pak, a collection of Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi (which I think is superior to Ninja Gaiden), Sonic the Hedgehog, Columns (a decent Tetris Clone, had some good Roman-style music), and Super Hang-On (a mediocre motorcycle race title, but still kind of addicting). I've owned this thing for 17 years, and I didn't own a Super Nintendo until 8 months ago, and all I have for that is Star Fox and Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (the '94 pack-in), although I have been playing the SNES since I was 3 at my grandparents. The Genesis for better beat-'em-ups and pure Nostalgia.

WiiCubeM1

Road rash is >>>> Super Hang on

This is the view I have too, I have both (escept I let my brother borrow my SNES), the Genesis seems more unique, a blast from the past. There are a lot more gems I can find on the Genesis than on the Super Nintendo. You pretty much know what you are going to play with the Super Nintendo, it is just super versions of past Nintendo games. The Genesis had a different style that people could appreciate.

BoSoxIdiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 BoSoxIdiot
Member since 2012 • 183 Posts
SNES reigns supreme.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 bultje112

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

mahlasor

Road rash is >>>> Super Hang on

This is the view I have too, I have both (escept I let my brother borrow my SNES), the Genesis seems more unique, a blast from the past. There are a lot more gems I can find on the Genesis than on the Super Nintendo. You pretty much know what you are going to play with the Super Nintendo, it is just super versions of past Nintendo games. The Genesis had a different style that people could appreciate.

agreed with this post wholeheartedly