Smoking & consoles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

Can smoking damage console components and in the last period to provoke dyfunction to console?

magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts

Don't smoke, 'nuff said.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#3 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Don't smoke, 'nuff said.

magnusm1
that seriously though no , smoking shouldnt do anything to the console itself, although it can speed up yellowing on light coloured consoles like the SNES and Dreamcast. if youre not worried about the external appearance of the console then no, there is no danger.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
Smoke in general is not good for electronics, though all of my consoles (see signature) seem to have withstood both of my parents smoking my entire childhood.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

yes the tar from smoke can make a disc based console load slower or not even load at all even after cleaning the laser with a laser lens cleaner and alcohol & q tip

TommyWieseau81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TommyWieseau81
Member since 2011 • 455 Posts
No, your consoles will be fine. Unless your smoking right up next to them constantly, in which case it might be a problem :P
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

The tar in smoke when coupled with dust particles can actually cause an internal electrical short if given enough ambient moisture. The tar also acts as an adhesive which helps bond dust to internal parts which can exacerbate overheating issues.

It is really really bad.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

I used to smoke. I started when I was 14 and quit 4 years ago when I was 20. I can honestly say smoking is harmful to your consoles and PC's. I know this because I opened up one of my consoles and PC's when they stopped working to fix whatever internal part was broken and I found yellow tar and dust all over the Motherboard in the system and Graphics Card in my PC. It takes along time for Smoke to do any damage but over time it will mess your electonics up big time. People who tell you differently don't know anything about what smoking does because they themselves don't smoke. Therefor they really shouldn't comment on something they don't do or haven't done. My parents also smoked too. None of us smoke anymore but my suggestion is if you do then don't smoke near the system or buy an Air Filtration system and that should solve your problems. Smoke with the windows open too.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Yes, it is damaging to electronics. However, the real question is: Does it do enough damage for us to really worry about it? Probably not, maybe when it's 20 years and been in an inside-smoker's house the whole time. But after 20 years, it's likely to have other issues as well. And I'm speaking of disc-based systems. Since there are no moving parts in a cartridge-based system, I doubt the smoke damage done to it is anything more than cosmetic.

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hurriflash

Fortunately i don't smoke though it has happened sometimes i can smell smoke coming from other rooms cause parents do. Being me no smoker i have to worry relatively, my room is not subject to direct exposition just undirect, am i correct?

Yes Emerald i had nes and snes and while they worked perfectly and nes still does snes got yellow with time grey pass to yellow really.

CUDCUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CUDCUD
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

It is very rare but some consoles can get lung cancer so for the good of your console and yourself don't smoke.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It is very rare but some consoles can get lung cancer so for the good of your console and yourself don't smoke.

CUDCUD

>

Is this RROD?

JediMindTrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JediMindTrip
Member since 2011 • 98 Posts
Weed smoke??
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bigM10231
Weed smoke??JediMindTrip
weed smoke dont stick to anything for some reason
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bigM10231

[QUOTE="CUDCUD"]

Heirren

>

Is this RROD?

no but its a major factor in other consoles(disc based ones)
Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1644 Posts

Since you don't smoke and are ina different room I can't see smoke as being a major issue. It may be a slightly more noticeable if you clear out the dust with an air duster can, but no where near as much as it would if you were smoking or had the machine in a room with active smokers.

As the others have said the smoke turns back into a tar and makesaverage dust more sticky, making it harder to remove. It doesn't effect old consoles like the Snes much because these systems have no internal fans to suck dust in.

JediMindTrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JediMindTrip
Member since 2011 • 98 Posts
I'm kind of glad I read this thread since i was smokin in my small room playing the PS3, which I purchased this year so not long ago at all. However, I'm playing FF7 right now and fighting the emerald WEAPON as i'm typing this and when I use Knights of Round, (a very long move, I can make a sandwich and take a sh*t by the time its finished) it lags like a mofo in the middle of it.
Avatar image for Videogamefan123
Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Videogamefan123
Member since 2007 • 941 Posts

Well if you've got a system with fans, that can gum them up a little bit. If it's heavy smoking then it can turn older systems with white or beige colors that yellow color(smoking isn't the only cause of yellowing, it also has to do with sunlight and the chemicals used in making the plastic). The only other major effect I can see is that your systems will all smell of smoke, not a problem for the one smoking with them but if you sell them it'll bring the price down.

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hurriflash

Since you don't smoke and are ina different room I can't see smoke as being a major issue. It may be a slightly more noticeable if you clear out the dust with an air duster can, but no where near as much as it would if you were smoking or had the machine in a room with active smokers.

As the others have said the smoke turns back into a tar and makesaverage dust more sticky, making it harder to remove. It doesn't effect old consoles like the Snes much because these systems have no internal fans to suck dust in.

Bond007uk

thank you, i'm most relaxed now

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
Well, I think smoking can make them age faster. Like how the SNES turns all yellow-brownish...I'm sure smoking could contribute to that.