Slim PS2 worth the $130 price tag for me?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GANGSTA287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GANGSTA287
Member since 2005 • 967 Posts

I own a PS3, 360, and Wii...

I'm at college and had my PS3 up with me but with the size of the dorm rooms I just got ticked off with it and it's awkward size plus the fact that it had some problems with my HDTV...

I made the mistake of bringing it home over a break and my brother now thinks it is his... so outside of my laptop and PSP I am system-less while at college...

I was an Xbox owner and a N64 owner before that, so I've never really gotten to play many of the Sony lineup (with some exceptions)

But anyway, as u can see I am pretty well off so I was wondering if a handful of games like MGS3, FFXII, NFL2K5 and maybe some old PS1 games lif FFVIII would justify paying $130 for an old system?

also any other recomdations for games If I do get it?

Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

I don't know what the status of the rumored PS2 price drop is. I know there are a few threads about it but I haven't checked on them recently. It is possible that if you hold out you can get a PS2 for $99. I recently bought a white PS2 w/ Singstar bundle for only $99 (Amazon Deal of the Day). Also Target just had a $99 PS2 in one of its recent sales ad.

I couldn't pass on that deal because I have a fairly large PS2 library already. (Also I wanted to have a PS2 for every TV in my house and one in every color.;))

The slim PS2 is a lot smaller than the PS3. The PS3 is definitely a monster. So if space is a problem for you that is a definite plus.

The PS2 already has a large library filled with great titles. This might be an opportunity for you to get a lot of great games for a cheap price. Also, the PS2 is not quite dead yet - there are still games coming out for it that might interest you. (You didn't give much info about your game tastes so I can't really make any recommendations.)

On the other hand, you already moved on to the next gen. If this is a sign that you are the kind of gamer who is really only interested in the most recent/cutting edge games, then you should probably just put your money towards another PS3 and make sure it is backwards capable so you can play the few PS2 games you already own.

If you are the type of gamer that likes to play good games and think you might be interested in exploring more of the PS2 library, then go ahead and get the PS2. If worst comes to worst you will just end up with an extra system in your house that you can connect to an extra TV. The slim PS2 takes up hardly any space at all so it won't be a big deal to have an extra one around.

GANGSTA287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GANGSTA287
Member since 2005 • 967 Posts

wow... nice...

I had never heard of a rumored price drop... If I can find one of those white or silver PS2s for $100 then I'll definately grab it.. thanks

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#4 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well even without the drop,, you can always go to pawns and look for used units,, im sure they work, as pawns are supposed to test them before getting them on shelv so right now buying new used or whatever is still good,, with the big library of games and ps1 games to sort through i say go ahead 130 is a good price for a gaming console considering gamecube isnt out no more ,, if it were id say get a gc but nope ,, ps2 seems to be the best for the person in collage but you do already have a ps3, 360 psp and a laptop ,, so i dont know its your decision not mine to make im a vintage collector old or new if it plays games ill buy it

spanky333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#5 spanky333
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

The PS2 slim is only a little bigger than two dvd cases. It will fit anywhere, and there are almost 2000 titles for it, most of them costing under 10 bucks each.

I am loving my own new found PS1 years since I can play those on it too, and my PS2 library contains some all time classics that I can see playing for years to come. The PS2 slim is definitely worth the 130 dollars.

Uhero41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Uhero41
Member since 2007 • 450 Posts
Definetly go for the slim. It is small, and has tons, and I mean tons of games. I'm sure you could find quite a few you would like if you got one.
summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts

everyone pretty much said good things about the PS2 so i'll list some games :D
God of War - definitely
Okami - definitely
Devil May Cry
Guitar Hero
Persona 3
Mercenaries
GTA SanAndreas
Silent Hill
Resident Evil 4
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy X
ICO
Jak and Daxter
Tekken
Twisted Metal
Dragon Quest VIII
Dark Cloud 2
Bully
Shadow of the Collossus
and also being released on the 18th is a Metal Gear Solid collection whcih has all 3 games for only $30, something you might be interested in ;)