Skyrim vs Fallout 3?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FPSunionOWNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 FPSunionOWNS
Member since 2007 • 2030 Posts

i think the two best games of this generation were fallout 3 and skyrim, and i think skyrim was a little bit better what do you guys think?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I prefer skyrim.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
TES and Fallout are kind of the same game series in my eyes. Skyrim is exactly how a series' newest game should be: Bigger, prettier and with more variation.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'm more of a sc-fi guy myself and prefer laser guns and power armor to wizards and dragons, but I still have to give the nod to Skyrim.  It had a ton more quests, and much better stories - both the main ones and the faction questlines.  I also loved the whole skill tree thing in Skyrim.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Out of those two - Fallout 3. But Fallout New Vegas tops them all!

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#6 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

EvilSelf

Exactly this.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

Blueresident87

Exactly this.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

I prefer Fallout (any of em) because the world is faaar more original and fleshed out. I love running around searching for stories in the dead decrepit ruins of civilization, stories of the final hours of ordinary people before the bombs fell, or their attempt at survival. It just seems more fleshed out and believable. The Elder Scrolls series, while also great, seems a lot more dead to me (ironic). The fantasy is generic as hell, as are the themes. Also the scale is stupid.While the scale in Fallout 3 and New Vegas is also off, it's not as bad as in TES.

I literally had a hard time playing Oblivion when "The Great Daedric invasion of Kvatch" consisted of 5-10 Daedra outside a church, and 5-10 people inside the church. Same thing happened in Skyrim, "Mighty Dragon Attack" consisted of 5 town guards fighting a dragon in a field. It just makes me weep a bit inside to be honest. Battles in Fallout are a lot more believable because you're usually just fighting petty slavers and bandit gangs. Though stuff like the liberation of Anchorage also made me cringe when it consisted of 6 guys in power armor and you. I just wish Bethesda would stop trying to make epic battles if their engine can't handle more than 20 guys at once on screen.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#9 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Really like both games, but I prefer Fallout 3's setting and the lore of the franchise. Skyrim is definitely a step up from Fallout 3 in terms of visuals, and I think there's more to do, but overall I'm sticking with Fallout 3.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I enjoyed Skyrim more. While Fallout 3 is definitely better in RPG mechanics, Skyrim's world I found to be vastly superior to the wasteland of Fallout 3. Plus I thought Skyrim had better combat.  

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Without a doubt, Skyrim. I found Failout 3 and Failout NV to be boring as hell, it's funny cause people say Skyrim's combat is dull and boring, well Failout 3 and NV's combat is 1000x times worse.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#12 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I'm not a fan of the medieval setting, so don't really like the look of Skyrim. However, post-apocalyptic settings are amongst my favourite, and Fallout 3 is an outstanding game.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blueresident87

I just realized there is an 'other' option in a poll that is specifically about 2 games...

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#14 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

Although I put a ton of hours into Skyrim, I'll have to go with Fallout 3 GOTY edition.  That world, the atmosphere, just struck a chord with me, and it became one of my favourite games of all time.

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

I found Fallout 3 to be much more engaging. Skyrim is fun sometimes, but I get bored easily and still haven't been able to finish it. I like sci fi stuff more as well.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blueresident87

I found Fallout 3 to be much more engaging. Skyrim is fun sometimes, but I get bored easily and still haven't been able to finish it. I like sci fi stuff more as well.

Deadpool-n

Have you played Fallout: New Vegas? If yes, have you played the Old World Blues expansion for it? It's got a strong sci-fi element and it's a whole lot of fun.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts
Fallout 3 is the better RPG, while Skyrim is the better game. Still, I'd take any other Fallout game over either of them.
naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

Skyrim hands down. I played over 60 hours of Fallout 3 but I never really felt that addiction like I did with Skyrim. Back when I got Skyrim, I used to play 7 hours a day for atleast 2 weeks. Apart from that The Elder Scrolls has more interesting lore and much better side quests. Most of the side quests from F3 were pretty meh unlike Skyrim's or even Oblivion's.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

I'll take New Vegas, Morrowind, or Shivering Isles thanks.

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

Fallout: New Vegas

FPSunionOWNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FPSunionOWNS

i thought fallout 3 was amazing i got throught every mission in the story except the last because i wanted to get broken steel so i could keep playing when i beat it, my save got deleted though cause i am an idiot.

Do you guys think its worth starting over again if i get the GOTY edition??

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#22 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I thought Fallout 3 was terrible in almost every way, Skyrim I thought was descent but the games magic and leveling made the game broken. I guess Skyrim because Fallout 3 did such a poor job with the environment and towns.

I'll take New Vegas, Morrowind, or Shivering Isles thanks.

scoots9

^ That or just about anything else

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

[QUOTE="Deadpool-n"]

Blueresident87

Have you played Fallout: New Vegas? If yes, have you played the Old World Blues expansion for it? It's got a strong sci-fi element and it's a whole lot of fun.

To be honest, I didn't care for New Vegas that much. I just did not like the missions.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Fallout 3 was the worst of the fallouts for me.  Incredibly shallow and so far off the lore

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

I prefer Fallout (any of em) because the world is faaar more original and fleshed out. I love running around searching for stories in the dead decrepit ruins of civilization, stories of the final hours of ordinary people before the bombs fell, or their attempt at survival. It just seems more fleshed out and believable. The Elder Scrolls series, while also great, seems a lot more dead to me (ironic). The fantasy is generic as hell, as are the themes. Also the scale is stupid.While the scale in Fallout 3 and New Vegas is also off, it's not as bad as in TES.

I literally had a hard time playing Oblivion when "The Great Daedric invasion of Kvatch" consisted of 5-10 Daedra outside a church, and 5-10 people inside the church. Same thing happened in Skyrim, "Mighty Dragon Attack" consisted of 5 town guards fighting a dragon in a field. It just makes me weep a bit inside to be honest. Battles in Fallout are a lot more believable because you're usually just fighting petty slavers and bandit gangs. Though stuff like the liberation of Anchorage also made me cringe when it consisted of 6 guys in power armor and you. I just wish Bethesda would stop trying to make epic battles if their engine can't handle more than 20 guys at once on screen.

chaplainDMK

I think all of Bethesda's open world games have that sort of "deadness" about them. I would say it stems from the drab palette and lighting and the wooden NPCs and character animations. The thing is, that "deadness" actually works in the Fallout setting. So it's like, Fallout's atmosphere is so much more effective precisely because of Bethesda's failings rather than anything they achieved with the game.

Totally agree on the second part about scale. But take Skyrim's civil war mods which literally blanket the country side with battles. It's not really a game engine problem. And ENBs coupled with lighting and weather overhauls really bring Skyrim to life in ways that are suprising. Put all these things together and pretty much every problem I had with Skyrim is gone. So, yeah - vanilla Fallout or TES = issues. Modded = problem solved. usually.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Skyrim is a much better game, IMO.

LAN7ERN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LAN7ERN
Member since 2013 • 352 Posts
Skyrim
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
New Vegas > Skyrim > F3 I'm anxiously waiting for news on Fallout 4. I'd probably faint if it were to be released with the 720/PS4.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

EvilSelf

I have to agree with this. Skyrim has better graphics and environments however I find the Fallout NV lore and quests much more interesting. I also much prefer the fallout way of leveling up.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I prefer Fallout 3 over Skyrim, but I prefer Oblivion over all of them.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#31 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
skyrim by miles. fallout 3 didn't cut it for me. action was awful and the game didn't captivate me like it should have. i think most of this problem stemmed from the fact that i was still in hangover mode from 2007's lineup (stalker, crysis, orange box, bioshock, cod4) and fallout 3 did not deliver the sort of immersion i was expecting. it did have an excellent storyline, though.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
I like them both alot, but I voted for Skyrim.
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Do you guys think its worth starting over again if i get the GOTY edition??

FPSunionOWNS

This is what I did mainly because I wanted tohave the definitive Fallout 3 experience. I havent played Fallout NV or Skyrim because of all the negative things I've read about them.

If I want medieval I'll play Dark Souls or Oblivion but there really is no world like Fallout's.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I've played through Skyrim twice, and still haven't made it half way through Fallout 3. So I'm going with Skycrack.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I am definitely sorry for whoever voted for skyrim. Whoever did is definitely not a true gamer. Skyrim had to improve on its past games like fallout 3 and oblivion but it did not. I played oblivion a year before Skyrim and it was definitely better and much more imerse and a better story. Many features I liked about Oblivion and fallout 3 were not included in skyrim like locational damage in fallout and first person horse riding (and also NPC horse riding) in oblvion. Anyone who thinks skyrim is better than its previous games is either dumb or have not played Oblivion.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 alim298

I've played through Skyrim twice, and still haven't made it half way through Fallout 3. So I'm going with Skycrack.

coasterguy65
That's because fallout 3 is way bigger than the stupid Skyrim
alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 alim298
[QUOTE="yellosnolvr"]skyrim by miles. fallout 3 didn't cut it for me. action was awful and the game didn't captivate me like it should have. i think most of this problem stemmed from the fact that i was still in hangover mode from 2007's lineup (stalker, crysis, orange box, bioshock, cod4) and fallout 3 did not deliver the sort of immersion i was expecting. it did have an excellent storyline, though.

Thanks man, you are saying the exact opposite of what the jurnalists said: They praised the game for atmpsphere (Gamespot rewarded it for that) and blamed it for storyline. I agree with you on the storyline but It seems you have not played fallout 3 enough to have seen some really immersive places.
Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

I think F: NV>F3>Skyrim

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Fallout 3... its my go to video game when i have nothing new to play

FPSunionOWNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FPSunionOWNS

wow did not expect this poll to tie

seninelprimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 seninelprimus
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I love both of them o bits, but I'd have to go with skyrim with this one.
Lordhagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42 Lordhagan
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Skyrim is a great game, but that is all, it is a very fun and very vast typical swords and sorcery game with boring combat. Fallout 3 on the other hand has a totally unique alternate universe post apocalyptic sci fi setting that is glorious. It also has VATS combat which in my opinion is the single most entertaining combat system in the history of gaming. Therefore this is an easy choice for me. Fallout 3 easily beats Skyrim (as well as Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall and Arena! All of which i have played and enjoyed very much! New Vegas is equally good but it is not a Bethesda title so I did not thing it fair to use it against poor Skyrim. Anyways the other issue where Fallout 3 totally kicks Skyrims ass is the writing. Yes Skyrim has vast amounts of songs and annecdotes and ancient legends and borning shit like that. The sheer level of dark humor and hte wonderful voice acting and writing in Fallout 3 is truly without peer in the video game realm. Bottom Line, TES Skyrim is NOTHING compared to Fallout 3!

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Between Skyrim and Fallout 3? easy, Skyrim.....however between Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout New vegas..... I would indeed choose Fallout New Vegas!

widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#45 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

Out of those two I'd have to say Fallout 3. Hands down.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i love both games i prefer SKYRIM

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#48  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@Blueresident87 said:

EvilSelf

Exactly this.

This again.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

no Bethesda game has ever pulled me in like Fallout 3 did

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@lordhagan said:

The sheer level of dark humor and hte wonderful voice acting and writing in Fallout 3 is truly without peer in the video game realm.

What the hell are you smoking ?

Fallout 3 was MISSING the dark humor of the previous Fallout games and the writing was TERRIBLE.

Not that Skyrim is any good either...

Fallout: New Vegas, Gothic 2….far superior open world world rpgs