Skyrim Official Thread - Dawnguard Expansion Announced - First Details!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

1yMjx.jpg

RELEASE DATE:

11/11/11

NEWS:

6/2/12- The Dawnguard DLC has been announced. It will cost $20. NeoGAF has some details from the newest Game Informer.

11/8/11- Bethesda released a new trailer today.

10/17/11- New previews and screens! - 1up, Gamespot, IGN

XMwQN.jpg

Here are the achievements for the game.

The voicecast has been announced.

Details on perks.

Huge gameplay walkthrough video!

The first two DLCs will be timed exclusives for the 360.

8/5/11-Bethesda announces $150 collectors edition for Skyrim

6/16/11 - There are rumors that romances are in the game.

6/8/11 -Full 14 minute gameplay video straight from G4, New screens posted:

1LRMv.jpg

6/6/11 - E3 Gameplay Demo!

4/18/11 New Previews today, as well as the first screens of Kajit and Orc characters.

Gamespot

Destructoid has a great writeup on what they saw.

Computer and Videogames

Eurogamer's article

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim/preview-2974.htmlVideoGamer

RockPaperShotgun has 20 reasons to be excited about Skyrim

Joystiq has an article up.

IGN interviewedTodd Howard from Bethesda on the evolution of the Elder Scrolls series. Here are the details and some new screens:

- Bethesda's using Havok's animation system (Havok Behavior) in their game

- The .nif file extension used for mods is still used in Skyrim

- Alongside the Fast-travel system from Oblivion will be a Carriage-system that takes you to other cities for a certain fee. This includes cities you haven't visited yet.

- There will be areas that are too hard for low-level characters.

- There is no set amount of Dragons in the game, they're placed pretty randomly, like other creatures

- The conversation system, while now in real-time and without the zoomed-in view, still functions similarly to Oblivion's

- The new combat system is also supposed to help players differentiate and develop their characters into a specific form: "You can't be everything at once."

- There's crafting for each archetype (Magic, Combat, Stealth). The magic crafting system, as we know, is Enchanting, and allows you to enchant items and tinker with their effects.

- There are more unique armor sets than in Oblivion

REVIEWS

Gamespot- 9.0

IGN- 9.5

Giant Bomb- 5/5

Joystiq- 5/5

Eurogamer- 10

Edge-9.0

Game Informer- 9.5

PC Gamer- 9.4

Gametrailers-9.3

Gamespy 5/5

Destructoid- 10

VIDEO

Huge gameplay walkthrough video!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Official Trailer

GS's interview with Todd Howard

SCREENS

mb4fat.jpg

ql5NM.jpg

2nlyckx.jpg

24mt4ye.jpg

2wnd9jl.jpg

nm15bk.jpg

ne73ue.jpg

20fgcx.jpg

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

Those aren't new screens. It's good that modding will not be completely different despite the new engine.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rragnaar

Those aren't new screens.

6_Dead_360s
Two of them might be old, but were released as 'new' today, the cave shot and the ice wraith one, but the rest are new. I've followed all the news on this and seen every image posted for it.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

I think I just came looking at those screens :o

Lets See for November Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3? , Mass Effect 3? Good thing I don't see myself picking up a full priced game until Gears 3 in Sept

*goes back to playing massive backlog*

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

Ugly console game, blury as hell.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I might try The Elders Scrolls after all. Never liked the setting of it, but the screens got me hyped.
Mr_Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Mr_Alexander
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts
[QUOTE="6_Dead_360s"]

Those aren't new screens.

rragnaar
Two of them might be old, but were released as 'new' today, the cave shot and the ice wraith one, but the rest are new. I've followed all the news on this and seen every image posted for it.

rragnar is right, the first one is without a doubt new at least. Thanks for the info dude.
Freak2121GTAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Freak2121GTAF
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

The fast travel system from Daggerfall is back! In other words, we have a GOOD fast travel system now.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Im wondering if they changed archery in anyway. I found the archery in oblivion to be awkward and have a wierd drop point/arc.

hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#10 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

Im so hyped for this game, can't wait, thanks for the info.

rangegear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 rangegear
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts
Some are new but not most. Cant wait for this game though.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rragnaar
Some are new but not most. Cant wait for this game though.rangegear
I think that the old ones were in Game Informer and that this is the first time they've been on the internet outside of scans. I could be wrong. All I know is IGN listed them as added today, and that GS and a few other sites don't have them posted.
TheArGaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheArGaia
Member since 2011 • 629 Posts
Cant wait :D Day one buy for sure, Bethesda can do no wrong....
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

the landscapes look like they will behave well. in oblivion (atleast on consoles), the bigger views looked barren. it was one of many little "see but dont touch" graphical hitches.

also, that mage is ripped. id be more worried about a punch than that ball of flame hes gripping.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Ha! I was just reading it before I saw this thread. :P

Crafting for the stealth class has made me even more excited.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LoG-Sacrament

LikeHaterade
id assume its poison making from the alchemy skill or something.
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Skyrim is looking better and better as more information is released. I can't wait to play it.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rragnaar
[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

LoG-Sacrament

That is my guess too. Maybe even some sort of projectile crafting too.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Only game I am truely hyped for this year. Sounds magical and engaging.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

rragnaar

That is my guess too. Maybe even some sort of projectile crafting too.

it would be pretty neat if i could make arrows in the field and save myself some trips to shops.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Yeah, I recognize some of the shots, like with the wolves. Those were used in the Game Informer issue awihle back.

I'm pretty stoked for this game. I think this will be my birthday gift for this year. Can't wait!

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rragnaar

Bitgamer has a new preview of the game in which they talk a bit about the new menus and taking down massive dragons.

Though recognisably dragons, these beasts are weirdly long-limbed and impressively heavy compared to games' usual take on them. When the beast's vast bulk is finally brought to earth by a barrage of spells and arrows, it hits the ground hard then skids a good 100 feet like a crashing plane. Even then, it gets back to its feet and continues to fight from the ground, dragging itself along on its hole-pocked wings like a bus-sized bat. These creatures don't die easy.

They do die, though. As the hulk finally breathes its last breath, its body catches alight from within, flames scorching it down to the bone. The reason? Well, you've just devoured its soul. Why and to what end is one of the many mysteries that still remain in Skyrim. Also yet to be unveiled are the game's guild and faction systems, its five cities, whether rideable horses will return and just how powerful those Shouts will get.

bitgamer

Eurogamer's article

- Puzzles will involve levers, switches, all kinds of traps, and even tiny visual hints left on objects which you can examine in your inventory.
- Running water will often be used as a visual indicator of the way to a dungeon exit.
- "There's a new conversation system in Skyrim. You still listen to someone and then choose options from a list, but the selections are nicely arranged and you can look around the shop while you listen, rather than staring intently into each other's eyes in the tunnel-vision fashion of Fallout. (There's no persuasion wheel, although a speech skill remains.)"
- There's bats.
- "We also learn there is no set level cap, but levelling is faster in Skyrim than in either Oblivion or Fallout 3, so you accumulate more perks. (Don't worry though, you won't max out too quickly.) A new take on the skill system means that every skill effects your levelling, which Howard says will encourage you to use a broader range of them - although the slick interface already does a neat job of that."

RockPaperShotgun has20 reasons to be excited about Skyrim

Joystiq has an article up.

- There's fish in the rivers, which sometimes "jump their way upstream".
- Dovahkiin can pick flowers.
- "Dovahkiin actually looks as if he is firmly planted onto the earth."
- The game map is actually an in-game POV high above the gameworld.
- The level cap is supposedly set at level 25, but this is refuted by Eurogamer (see above).

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Looks liked the learned a lot from their work on Fallout, looks great!
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rragnaar

Here are some new screens, including a Kajit and an Orc!

I'm sure these last two shots were in that Game Informer, but they are new for the interwebs.

I'll edit this thread into some semblance of order when I get back from this delivery I'm about to go on.

Avatar image for Darkwanderer000
Darkwanderer000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Darkwanderer000
Member since 2011 • 213 Posts
Holy Satan, the Khajiit look badass. And such damn gorgeous graphics. I hope I don't have to spend a fortune in PC upgrades for this...
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Hmm, despite my low standards for this I am disappointed by the 20 reasons to be excited for Skyrim link. Looks like we will have even less character customization this time. I am definately passing on this game.

No primary/secondary skills, no attributes, even less skills, all I have seen so far are forests, Bethesda is making the game (meaning bugs), equiping spells, apple inspired UI (this is by far the worst UI I have ever seen from a game, completely impractical), Bethesda hyping up their new engine despite being in fact only a updated Gamebryo I wonder what else they are lying about, the gameworld is even more based around the player than before, quests that may be randomly generated which will most likely mean that the quests will also be of really poor quality. I just hope the mods can fix this game.

By the way, I think the other 2 crafting skills are most likely Smithing (look in the right side of the skills screen) for melee and either Woodworking or Alchemy for stealth. Just to say something positive I will say that the character models have improved dramaticly, I really really like the Khajit.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#28 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Holy Satan, the Khajiit look badass. And such damn gorgeous graphics. I hope I don't have to spend a fortune in PC upgrades for this...Darkwanderer000

LOL, that is what I was thinking. The Khajiit have indeed been improved upon in such a fashion that they just look more intimidating. Which is how they should look. The game itself looks fantastic and sounds like it will deliver in spades. Absolutely cannot wait.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rragnaar

I updated the thread to make it a bit cleaner and I added the previews posted by Gamespot,Destructoid,Computer and Videogamesand VideoGamer. I also added GS's video interview with Todd Howard.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#30 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Amazing stuff! Keep up the good work!

EXEraserVS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 EXEraserVS
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
I was never impressed with Oblivion's graphics. But this looks amazing. I think Bethesda started to hit their stride with Fallout 3 and really became a top developer since then. This further reinforces them as the top developers of this industry.
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

Am I the only one who isn't hyped for this?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rragnaar

It is pretty sweet to see how far they've come since Oblivion.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts
Damn is this game ever looking fantastic and the comparison shot with Oblivion are quite striking. I can't wait for this game and November is going to be insane for games.
LankyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LankyKong
Member since 2011 • 2678 Posts

I've never played an Elder Scrolls game, but this one looks great.

Can't wait.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
This fall is going to be BRUTAL for me while attending college... so many awesome games...
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rragnaar

PC Gamer just published a Q&A with Todd Howard.

Have Bethesda hired more than four voice actors this time?

Yes, thank goodness. "It used to be an issue with disc space," says Howard. "On Oblivion we were literally running out of room on the disc for voice. We've since solved that. There are better compression techniques, so we're not really limited by the physical media as much as how long it takes to record it."

They're spending more time and money on it this time around. The voice actors are better, there's more of them, and they're working with more voice directors in Hollywood this time around. In the presentation I saw, that showed in in your conversations.

"Are there any ideas from the modding community for Morrowind and Oblivion that have influenced the design of Skyrim?"

Yeah, the Oblivion mod "Better Bows". It made arrows more powerful, more likely to kill in a single hit, and balanced it by making it slower to draw the arrow back in the first place. Skyrim takes that pretty much wholesale, and the demonstration we saw had a lot of bow and arrow action.

Can the player ride a dragon?

Sadly not. There might be something "on the edge of that," said Howard during the presentation, but it's unlikely to fulfil your Neverending Story dreams.

Will Levelling work like in Oblivion? Will monsters scale up? /hopes it doesn't

Levelling works like it did in Fallout 3, not like in Oblivion. That means that some areas will scale, some areas won't, and the level of enemy's in each area will be fixed in place when you first visit that part of the world.

Will your inventory be able to show more than 3 items at once? And actually be made with the PC in mind?

Yes, more than three, though they're certainly not focusing on simply jamming more things on the screen at once. Skyrim's new inventory is designed to be slicker than that, and there are a few cool things about it.

The first is that every item in your inventory is shown as a 3D model, which can be zoomed in on and rotated. It's a nice, flashy bit of design that shows off the detail the art team are pouring into the items and weaponry. Which would be fine in itself. But in the dungeon we were shown, the player solved a puzzle by studying an item in his inventory for a set of symbols needed to unlock a door.

You can also bookmark spells and items in your inventory you use regularly, making them easy to find even when you're encumbered by pockets stuffed with calipers

Are dungeons as repetitive as they were in Oblivion?

Oblivion's dungeons were mostly designed by just two level designers. Skyrim has eight or nine, and while the dungeon we saw had plenty of the same rocky tunnels we've come to love, they also had moments of real beauty.

PC Gamer

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Thanks for all the info Rag, this game sounds like a huge leap ahead from Oblivion.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

How much do you reckon it will cost to cryogenically freeze myself till November?

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LoG-Sacrament
being able to inspect an item sounds like a good addition. puzzles involving that will help disguise the simple formula of quests we've seen in the past ("kill enemy x", "find x number of item y", or "clear the dungeon"). it will also make objects in the world more tangible. the series has already done a good job by making every item collectible.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#41 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I can't personally wait for Skyrim. Man, believe me when i say this, i am smothered in games that i am still yet to play.

morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

My hope full Skyrim is mixed. It looks like a upgraded Oblivion, and thats not a good thing. (But it can't be worse then Oblivion, so..)

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

nice thread ragnar, its good to see people making threads about skyrim,

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
toby literal trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMKJ9fDM2mo
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rragnaar
[QUOTE="LightR"]toby literal trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMKJ9fDM2mo

:lol:... Rad!
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

I love Morrowind, though it didn't feel alive. Oblivion is meh, but it felt more alive -- but its liveliness looked too fake. Skyrim looks like it'll finally solve problems in this area.

Morrowind is great even without mods. I NEED mods to enjoy Oblivion for more than a few hours due to the atrocious scaling, which makes enemies far stronger than the player character can handle. The scaling gives every bandit expensive, rare armor (which shatters some lore and any sense of realism). Places that had only rats or other weak animals before suddenly have land dreughes. I'm glad to hear that Bethesda is changing things up for this game. I want to never again have to voice grievances regarding scaling in Bethesda RPGs.

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
Beautiful. Can't wait for this. I wasn't a fan of Fallout 3 or New Vegas because I'm just not into post apocalyptic. Fantasy more my style.
pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

Hmm, despite my low standards for this I am disappointed by the 20 reasons to be excited for Skyrim link. Looks like we will have even less character customization this time. I am definately passing on this game.

No primary/secondary skills, no attributes, even less skills, all I have seen so far are forests, Bethesda is making the game (meaning bugs), equiping spells, apple inspired UI (this is by far the worst UI I have ever seen from a game, completely impractical), Bethesda hyping up their new engine despite being in fact only a updated Gamebryo I wonder what else they are lying about, the gameworld is even more based around the player than before, quests that may be randomly generated which will most likely mean that the quests will also be of really poor quality. I just hope the mods can fix this game.

By the way, I think the other 2 crafting skills are most likely Smithing (look in the right side of the skills screen) for melee and either Woodworking or Alchemy for stealth. Just to say something positive I will say that the character models have improved dramaticly, I really really like the Khajit.

Maroxad

I dont understand why your being so nitpicky with this game. Yes, it will have less character customization, but if your playing an elder scrolls game just for character customization your missing the point. I'm glad there streamlining it, in Oblivion i found that I was so worried about leveling up my character properly, and not gimping it, that I really couldnt immerse myself in the world, which is the point of an Elder Scrolls game.And dont forget that they are adding to the character development too with perks and shouts, whicch I found was a much more enjoyable system in Fallout 3. Also, there are only 3 less skills, and they are the ones that nobody care about like acrobatics and athletics.

In addition, Bethesda has not even released info on the cities, so the game is not going to be just forests.And from my impressions the Creation Engine is NOT just an updated Gamebryo, the CE is so much more powerful. I mean it renders individual snowflakes on the ground, better animations, better character models, better combat, way better draw distances. Add to that new radiant AI and radiant story.

I really dont understand how people still manage to criticize this game, when it seems Bethesda has gone out, actually listened to its customers (which is rare), and make right almost EVERYTHING that was wrong with Oblivion

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
I am pretty stoked for this game to come out. I do enjoy the Elder Scrolls universe. For all Bethesda's faults, I'm a fairly big RPG fan in general and find myself buying plenty of RPG's that may even be a flop at the end of my experience. I'm hoping this one won't be a let down!