jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I've been playing a lot of Skyrim the past week and I don't think I have it in me to carry on. I hit level 20 and I feel like I'm just doing busy work. Go here do this go here do that. It just feels like choir. I love the world and the enemy variety but the game play bores me.

I joined the thieves guild and did most of the quests prior to getting the nightingale stuff. I quit because I read you don't want to get that stuff until higher level.

I made it to the college but I haven't done any of mages quests yet.

I think I've killed 8 dragons so far.

I've leared 2 shouts but I haven't progressed that story line any further. Seeing how it's part of main quest I figured I'd hold off on that until I saw some other stuff in the game first.

I met some lady I forgot her name from riverwood. We killed a dragon together and now I'm suppose to meet her in the far east of the map.

I also did the dawnbreaker quest.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

@jdc6305: It was more a game of its time, almost seven years ago now, and honestly Oblivion and Morrowind have aged better despite having terrible dungeons by comparison.

The reasons for this is because games have taken what you could call the successful more Action than RPG Skyrim template and since done it better. Or at least done things better in which The Elder Scrolls V lacks.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Yeah....

I much prefer the game with mods for survival mechanics and alternate start. I like to come up with a backstory for my character and role play it. Like maybe you want to play the role of the Dovahkiin - he's most likely a Lawful Good character so it doesn't make sense for him to join the thieves guild or the dark brotherhood, and you're a Nord so you probably aren't interested in magic. Fighters GUild would be a good fit though. You would always try to resolve things peacefully and only resort to violence as a last resort if possible. Maybe you start the game as a simple woodworker in one of the many small towns and you happen to hear about the events in Helgen with the Dragon and travel there to see if you can provide aid or whatever.

Or maybe you just make a pure evil character that summons the undead and you never do the main quest. Maybe you go to the school of magic, but for your own reasons and then you betray everyone, kill them all so no one else can challenge your magic arts.

Playing characters that just do all the quests and get all the things are pretty boring IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Skyrim was a mainstream title to appeal to the masses, toned down so to speak.

For instance, the thieves guild and so on are no where near the standard of Oblivion. We needed a remake of that, not Skyrim.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

Yeah....

I much prefer the game with mods for survival mechanics and alternate start. I like to come up with a backstory for my character and role play it. Like maybe you want to play the role of the Dovahkiin - he's most likely a Lawful Good character so it doesn't make sense for him to join the thieves guild or the dark brotherhood, and you're a Nord so you probably aren't interested in magic. Fighters GUild would be a good fit though. You would always try to resolve things peacefully and only resort to violence as a last resort if possible. Maybe you start the game as a simple woodworker in one of the many small towns and you happen to hear about the events in Helgen with the Dragon and travel there to see if you can provide aid or whatever.

Or maybe you just make a pure evil character that summons the undead and you never do the main quest. Maybe you go to the school of magic, but for your own reasons and then you betray everyone, kill them all so no one else can challenge your magic arts.

Playing characters that just do all the quests and get all the things are pretty boring IMO.

yeah, I do this. But that I have to use my imagination and impose my own rules to make it fun I think illustrates some of the failures of the game. If you're going to make an RPG, you probably should have consequences and ES is pretty much consequence free. Forget about any kind of actual freedom of choice in the narrative. You're free to go around and kill random people (and there's no real consequence for this..the whole jail concept is a fail), but if you want to do something meaningful, it's all on rails. Lack of consequence in character builds bothers me, too. No racial penalties, no skill fatigue (for example, training your strength and using physical solutions causes intelligence based abilities to decline and vice-versa), no heavy armor restrictions for mages, things like that.

If all you ever do is make a jack-of-all trades character, it's the game for you, but I loved heavily skewing my characters in, say NWN to create interesting personas with unique gameplay possibilities - like barbarian druids who can shift into dragon form all day and ethereal rogues that are quite fragile but negate 50% of all attacks and can disappear in plain sight and kill with a single sneak attack (devastating blow, i love you). ES is built more for people that like the ding of leveling up and powering out than the decision making of an actual RPG. I don't think the action angle requires you give up actual build choices and complex questing, but both Bethesda and Bioware have really moved in this direction.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I played Skyrim over the weekend and still enjoyed it immensely. You have to push through the mediocre gameplay to get through to the primary missions. It has an amazing story. I personally love Skyrim. Always have. I know it has its faults, but so does every game out there.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

@Ish_basic: Yeah I agree. You really have to do a lot of work if you want to get a good RP experience out of Skyrim. Everything from heavy modding to researching the lore so you can design a character that fits in the world and makes sense. I think I only put up with it because I like TES universe.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

@Enragedhydra said:
@pyro1245 said:

@Ish_basic: Yeah I agree. You really have to do a lot of work if you want to get a good RP experience out of Skyrim. Everything from heavy modding to researching the lore so you can design a character that fits in the world and makes sense. I think I only put up with it because I like TES universe.

I have found it really hard to go back to Skyrim since I picked up The Witcher 3

I was underwhelmed by The Witcher 3. It felt to me like a cheap Oblivion clone duct taped to a cheap Skyrim clone.

I thought Skyrim was amazing. But I also played it back in 2011/12. So nostalgia may be making me think it was better than it was.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ish_basic

@pyro1245 said:

i put up with it because of the mod community and, let's be honest, there's very little competition in the genre. Nowadays if it's a fantasy RPG, it's often an MMO, which i enjoy, but they don't scratch the same itch.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ish_basic
@bigfootpart2 said:
@Enragedhydra said:
@pyro1245 said:

I have found it really hard to go back to Skyrim since I picked up The Witcher 3

I was underwhelmed by The Witcher 3. It felt to me like a cheap Oblivion clone duct taped to a cheap Skyrim clone.

I thought Skyrim was amazing. But I also played it back in 2011/12. So nostalgia may be making me think it was better than it was.

Witcher 3 has a better story, but I don't like Geralt and he's the only choice I have. Since his story is done, maybe future games will come with a character creator. The open world in that game is pretty pointless, too. Also sick and tired of having to relearn Geralt's skills for the third time AND reacquire equipment, but even with new game+ I was struggling to get through it a second time...combat is just lacking.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
@jdc6305 said:

Skyrim feels like such a choir

I always thought it felt more like an orchestra.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

every open world game are a chore to get through

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Skyrim was GREAT...Back in 2011/12. I wish they would have made sequel instead of just another crappy online game, Elder Scrolls Online.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ish_basic

@todddow said:

Skyrim was GREAT...Back in 2011/12. I wish they would have made sequel instead of just another crappy online game, Elder Scrolls Online.

was a separate company, anyway. But word as of a few months ago is they haven't even started on the next ES game yet, so...

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts

skyrim was overrated as hell. the bad was the combat, the combat is utter trash. thats why held the game back for me. took me 4 to 5 years to finally complete it, which was last month. i kept picking it up and putting it down.

RevolverRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18 RevolverRick
Member since 2017 • 31 Posts

@Black_Knight_00: Twas a symphony. A symphony of re-releases