Since Storage is cheaper now, do you think we should stop CD gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for EmeraId_Warrior
EmeraId_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EmeraId_Warrior
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
We have Storage discs(not CDs), SDcards, FlashBoxes, Memory Carts, and tons of others, a lot of which all allow expansion for extra content as well (but would prevent developers from sealing off part of the game and it would have to be external only, which is a good thing. It is time for CD gaming to come to an end, because we don't need it! We can still have boxes!Cardboard, plastic Metal! But we no longer need the flimsy, easy to break, CD's that slowly stream, and because we have yet to get around 8-10X speed for CD like media)including DVD boray etc.) this won't change and lasers will always take the blunt of punishment while playing a game. Especially ones that push the consoles. Yet not, sealed memory in hard format with chip scans and other types are severely cheap. 10 Gigs for $5 per manufacture!!!!! In tons of fromats! These will stream the game to your screen without issues and less moving parts! Fast no loading times, graphics all in place, no pop=in, no load screens, no random freezing or slowdown with bad lasers! No more bad DLC practices like you see on Microsoft Cashbox 360! But people don't think about it why? People are debating against it why? Those will last longer for years, and consoles will have less failure rates! Who is with me!?
Avatar image for VicariousWolf88
VicariousWolf88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 VicariousWolf88
Member since 2013 • 63 Posts

Agreed.. but we might just do away with all physical copies very soon and go straight to digital..

I think thats the way to go since it cuts out the middle man and saves ALOT of money on distribution and packaging and manufacturing.

Games will be alot cheaper like they are on steam.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

I already have -- it's all DD here. I still resent the fact that my books occupy a massive amount of space, and how much of a pain they are to move whenever I change home/city. Why would I want a stupid metal box taking up even more space? :P

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 OmitName
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts
computers, technology in general has failed me too much to ever consider, if it were up to me, not having some manner of a tangible thing. id even support a shift back in the direction of less vulnerable media. sd cards, flash drives, common as they are, perhaps its not too preposterous to hold hope for a return to carts and the like.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

25GB-50GB BluRay/Wii U optical discs are still pretty cheap and likely as cheap as a 4GB flash drive, meaning a few bucks so no. Also, "CD gaming" stopped when all new consoles from 1999 and on stopped using "CDs".

Even then, these discs will just be upped to 100GB or eventually 1TB in capacity, thus making it hard for flash memory to catch up. Check out Holographic Video Disc for reference.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

A pressed Blu-Ray disc at cost is probably les than $0,50 now for 50 Gb so no .

All digital will be the next step .

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

A pressed Blu-Ray disc at cost is probably les than $0,50 now for 50 Gb so no .

All digital will be the next step .

Caseytappy
My step off.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#8 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
In a couple of words: Absolutely not.
Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

No way in hell. Technology is becoming less and less reliable by the day. There used to be a time when hard disks would last you 10 years easily. Now you're lucky to get 5 years out of them. IMO, flash based storage still is too new on the market to be seen of just how reliable it is compared to other storage mediums.

Thanks for the offer but, no. I'd rather have hundreds of discs laying around, ready to transfer over, than have a hard disk or flash drive die without warning.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

So besides paying for the game, you have to pay for the storage medium and the game. Oh and of course for fast internet too, because you'll need it to download all those GBs, hopefully without errors. 

It just doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

Furthermore, game companies are selling their digital copies for the same price than physical ones. Which is just a huge scam if you ask me.

Back then there use to be automated floppy disk vending machines, where you could purchase games in generic floppy disks and save on some money.

Now you don't even get generic DVDs,BDs or whatever, don't save on anything, or get anything extra, but you still have to pay full price.

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
[QUOTE="EmeraId_Warrior"]We have Storage discs(not CDs), SDcards, FlashBoxes, Memory Carts, and tons of others, a lot of which all allow expansion for extra content as well (but would prevent developers from sealing off part of the game and it would have to be external only, which is a good thing. It is time for CD gaming to come to an end, because we don't need it! We can still have boxes!Cardboard, plastic Metal! But we no longer need the flimsy, easy to break, CD's that slowly stream, and because we have yet to get around 8-10X speed for CD like media)including DVD boray etc.) this won't change and lasers will always take the blunt of punishment while playing a game. Especially ones that push the consoles. Yet not, sealed memory in hard format with chip scans and other types are severely cheap. 10 Gigs for $5 per manufacture!!!!! In tons of fromats! These will stream the game to your screen without issues and less moving parts! Fast no loading times, graphics all in place, no pop=in, no load screens, no random freezing or slowdown with bad lasers! No more bad DLC practices like you see on Microsoft Cashbox 360! But people don't think about it why? People are debating against it why? Those will last longer for years, and consoles will have less failure rates! Who is with me!?

Well, I do hear that cartrige systems last longer (my NES from 1988 still works, how many PSX's can you say that about? Though... it's not uncommon if you, you know, take care of your s#*t). And I would love to see another cart based home system.

Also, I don't mind digital as long as it is like gog.com.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Wait a minute

"Easy to break" ???

In the past 20 years, I can't think of one time I've ever broken a CD. In fact, I don't know anyone who has ever broken a CD, unless they were trying to break it.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

If everyone follows GOG's standard of digital distribution, then yes.

pedro45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pedro45
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
yeah, i need physical medium. you're asking to keep repaying for games (if consoles by chance keep BC). it's nice having games digitally, but having them physically gives you so much more ease. too many errors can arise in almost all other ways that don't raise cost.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

No. You have no collection if you have nothing to show for it. If you show me a hard-drive or hi-dens flash stick and say that's your games collection, i'll just laugh at you. ;)

People like collecting things. Things, not data!

Having said that, if they make all next-gen games (new and old) data-stream-only then maybe people will feel they don't need their old PS2 games anymore and increase the availability of physical copies for collectors like me. :)

Avatar image for abcdefgabcdefgz
abcdefgabcdefgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 abcdefgabcdefgz
Member since 2004 • 698 Posts

Yeah the guys making this stuff are a lot smarter than us. There are good reasons systems still use disc based drives over stuff like flash its just more cost effective and large for the price. Flash is still expensive for the storage.