Silly question - unplugging PS2 slim after each usage

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

This is just a silly question I have about the PS2 slim, since I unplug mine after I am done using it.

Is this considered harmful to unplug the PS2 after each uage? I've done this each day I play it from the time I bought the system 3 years ago. I'm just curious if what I'm doing is wrong or can potentially damage the PS2.

Anyone know?

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I wouldn't think so, as long as you power it off correctly, THEN unplug it.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#3 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I do that too.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't really help anything either.

-Byshop

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#5 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
I turn off the switch after I'm finished playing it, so yeah, I do unplug it as well. And it's never damaged the system. In fact, I think it's a good thing - it doesn't drain power when it's not being used.
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
I switch everyone of my systems off at the wall every night to avoid the glow of their LED lights, and not a single one seems to have a problem.
hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

i do this operatione everytime as well

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rwallacefan
Thanks everyone :)
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't really help anything either.

Byshop

Indeed, the energy you save with the console plugged in in comparison to the console unplugged is very little.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts
I turn off the switch after I'm finished playing it, so yeah, I do unplug it as well. And it's never damaged the system. In fact, I think it's a good thing - it doesn't drain power when it's not being used.Spinnerweb
There's an off switch on the slim?
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#11 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]I turn off the switch after I'm finished playing it, so yeah, I do unplug it as well. And it's never damaged the system. In fact, I think it's a good thing - it doesn't drain power when it's not being used.Trail_Mix

I'm thinking spinner is speaking for the original PS2. I also flip the switch off in the back of mine and I've had the original since the year it was released.
Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts
[QUOTE="Trail_Mix"][QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]I turn off the switch after I'm finished playing it, so yeah, I do unplug it as well. And it's never damaged the system. In fact, I think it's a good thing - it doesn't drain power when it's not being used.shadowchronicle

I'm thinking spinner is speaking for the original PS2. I also flip the switch off in the back of mine and I've had the original since the year it was released.

I was just curious because for the longest time I didn't know how to turn off my slim PS2. I thought I was just missing something. So instead I would just unplug it, but it didn't seem right at the time.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#13 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
[QUOTE="Trail_Mix"][QUOTE="shadowchronicle"][QUOTE="Trail_Mix"] There's an off switch on the slim?

I was just curious because for the longest time I didn't know how to turn off my slim PS2. I thought I was just missing something. So instead I would just unplug it, but it didn't seem right at the time.

No, I mean the switch that I plug the power cord into. I have a slim PS2, and it doesn't have a power switch that fully turns it on or off, just the button used to power it up. (The one that glows red when it's off, if I'm not being patronizing). The switch I turn off looks slightly like this :P  Again, sorry if I'm being patronizing.
Arachnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Arachnos
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I'm unplugging mine too. The only thing that can go wrong is damaging the socket by constantly harassing it.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#15 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

It doesn't hurt anything, but why would you do that? There is no benefit, 'saving electricity' would be so minimal

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

It doesn't hurt anything, but why would you do that? There is no benefit, 'saving electricity' would be so minimal

Blueresident87
He might just not like the LED light. I find that they bug me at night when I'm trying to sleep.
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rwallacefan
[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

penpusher
He might just not like the LED light. I find that they bug me at night when I'm trying to sleep.

That's exactly it :)
dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

This is just a silly question I have about the PS2 slim, since I unplug mine after I am done using it.

Is this considered harmful to unplug the PS2 after each uage? I've done this each day I play it from the time I bought the system 3 years ago. I'm just curious if what I'm doing is wrong or can potentially damage the PS2.

Anyone know?

rwallacefan
No, it doesn't hurt. Doesn't help either. All it would do is reset the system's internal clock.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#19 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

[QUOTE="penpusher"][QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

rwallacefan

That's exactly it :)

Huh, I must admit I never thought of that, I still have my brick-style PS2 that has the master switch on the back.Â