Should there be always be way to escape?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AntJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AntJR
Member since 2012 • 56 Posts

Do you think there should always be a garaunteed way to escape from areas like dungeons and caves? How about battles(regular battles, or even battles that are usually inescapable)? And should there always be a consequence for attempting to escape areas and fights?(the enemy gaianing extra turns, having to wait for an opening, gaining zero expereince points etc.).

To me, escape should be available at all times, every character should be able to escape at the same time, with no costs(not even ability point costs if its a special ability), and the enemy should never prevent escape. Even experience should still be granted.

One of my ideas, with any game that uses points to gain strength, the experience would be calculated with each attack landed, so if you ran before defeating the enemy, you'll still have expereince, based on how much damage you did and you'd even get some expereince just by entering battle with the enemy. You can escape battles(even boss battles) by teleporting away to heal, get items etc. and come back to resume the fight at any time. Also, for escaping areas, you get that ability at the start of the game, and can use it any time you want, you'd be able to come back at that exact same spot you were last standing, of the area you visited. :)

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
Wow, errr, yes no.
AntJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AntJR

Wow, errr, yes no.Justinps2hero

Which one? or do you mean both yes and no?

Saladin__7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Saladin__7
Member since 2012 • 116 Posts
That sounds easy.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Without the threat of dying there is no challenge.. which would likely make the game boring.
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Not sure if this is a game I'd want to play.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#7 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

No, just no.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

There have been times where I'd find myself in a dungeon or wherever and things get tense. The road ahead becomes deadly, but the road back can seem just as perilous. Without a means of escape, certain death is a distinct possibility.

This usually happens when I forget to stock up on items at the shop.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

No, you could just hit the enemy with everything you've got, teleport away and wait for your health and mana to recharge, teleport back in and hit 'em with all you've got, etc. There'd be no way you could lose and it would be boring.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts
Games should be more fun than frustrating, so there should be options that suit all skill levels.
Abigorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 Abigorus
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

Games can be/are frustrating, but as frustrating as they may be, the more rewarding they are when you complete them!

Should there always be a way to escape? No. Bring back more medpack games.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Depends on so many factors...game, genre, difficulty level, which age class it's marketing for and so on and so on.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts
No I don't think that there should always be a way to escape.
AntJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AntJR

No, you could just hit the enemy with everything you've got, teleport away and wait for your health and mana to recharge, teleport back in and hit 'em with all you've got, etc. There'd be no way you could lose and it would be boring.

Jackc8

You wouldnt be required to do that, its more of an optional thing really.

Saladin__7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Saladin__7
Member since 2012 • 116 Posts

One of my ideas, with any game that uses points to gain strength, the experience would be calculated with each attack landed, so if you ran before defeating the enemy, you'll still have expereince, based on how much damage you did and you'd even get some expereince just by entering battle with the enemy.

AntJR
That sounds like what Game Arts did in Grandia. Weapons are used in battle and level up as you use them during the battle. Maces, swords, bows, hammers. They all level up in-game and increase specific attributes of the character wielding them.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Some games maybe. If it was implemented into all games, we should be able to turn it off.

AntJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AntJR

[QUOTE="AntJR"]

One of my ideas, with any game that uses points to gain strength, the experience would be calculated with each attack landed, so if you ran before defeating the enemy, you'll still have expereince, based on how much damage you did and you'd even get some expereince just by entering battle with the enemy.

Saladin__7

That sounds like what Game Arts did in Grandia. Weapons are used in battle and level up as you use them during the battle. Maces, swords, bows, hammers. They all level up in-game and increase specific attributes of the character wielding them.

Your weapons level up? That sounds awesome, I'll have to check that out sometime :)

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I don't mind not being able to escape easily as long as escaping has its own meta-game and considerations. In FF7 for instance, sometimes you can try to escape from simple monsters for minutes at a time and get nowhere, at other times you barely touch the triggers and you are gone; no idea what the game is basing the escape probability on. Make the escape factors transparent to the player and it could become a tactical consideration in its own right. To counter this the penalty for death should be as soft as possible, like the way Xenoblade promptly plunked you back outside the last checkpoint.

Also in regards to experience. It should definately be awarded per enemy felled and not per mob felled. Very annoying to kill off 2/3 enemies only to have the last one run off on you and you are left with nothing for the trouble...even more annoying when is one of those high-agility, low-HP, resistant to nearly everything type of enemies.