Should The Last of Us get a Sequel?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Khasym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By Khasym

Poll Should The Last of Us get a Sequel? (37 votes)

Oh God Yes!!!! - There's just so much story and setting that can still be explored!!! 32%
Kind Of - I loved the first story, but there's a little wiggle room for a sequel. 11%
Not Really - I think the first game was more than enough. No need to try and dig out the same emotions. 16%
Please...Just....No - Let's not put this game on the sequel mill!! We can have a unique experience instead of repeat after repeat. 41%

Okay, I want to set a few rules: No spoilers, and no reviews of the game. There's plenty other places to go for that. Let's keep this one on topic.

I just finished The Last of Us, and after getting the tears out of my eyes, I jumped online to see some tips for multiplayer.....and then I found it. Sequel-itis, a disease just as deadly to a video game as the Cordyceps fungus is to humans in that game.

Do we REALLY need a sequel to this game? Does the gaming community even want one? If I want to feel this game again, I'll just wait till it's faded from my mind, and play it again. Why do we need to go BACK to this world in a sequel?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a need for a sequel. This was a massively personal story. It's hard to have that kind of story, run on and on. And that's assuming that the sequel lives UP to the quality of the first game.

• 
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Yeah it's a tough one... Part of me doesn't want a sequal, but I think there is more story to be told. Maybe one more game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Hell Yeah it should get a sequal and it should be Multiplatform... But most importantly... It should have CO-OP...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu

Geez... If you people wanted a good story so bad why didn't yall just pick up a damn book.

Khasym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Khasym
Member since 2003 • 585 Posts
@Lulu_Lulu said:

Geez... If you people wanted a good story so bad why didn't yall just pick up a damn book.

Cause you can't feel fear as you realize you maneuvered yourself into a trap. :-)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu

@Khasym

Are implying Books can't be scary... And did TLOU serously scare you ? lol

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69427 Posts

Yes. They need to make more sequels of this game. I particularly looking forward to Last of Us 5 HD edition.

BatladyMia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 BatladyMia
Member since 2014 • 26 Posts

I'm totally fine either way. They can do whatever they want with a sequel (I'd prefer different characters) and I'd be happy, or they could just leave a wonderful story alone. Either way I'm not crying foul with Naughty Dog or their "artistic integrity."

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu:

I think he's implying that books can't replicate the feeling that occurs when the player makes a mistake and has to improvise the situation. It's a different emotional state than reading immutable text on a page. The scenario changes based on your actions.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

No. The world doesn't need more of that shit.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

Milking is inevitable if you make a bestselling game nowadays

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Minishdriveby

Which only works well if the gameplay is solid and consistant. Sometimes I get spotted because ellie is standing behind me, preventing me from backing out of the way, it also doesn't help if you kill an enemy who has a gun but drops no bullets, who when I throw a brick into a clicker's face but it just keeps coming.

Most times I often find TLOU caught in between trying to be a video game and trying to be realistic. The effect is severely hindered by tiny inconsisties like that.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I think TLoU stands beautifully on its own, and can very much understand the reasoning for not wanting a sequel. I don't want to see the ending extrapolated on, nor where it goes afterwards. The ambiguity and personal interpretation is a large part of what makes it so powerful and moving. But then again, I don't oppose a sequel just because "it's a sequel, it's a cash-in, it's a sellout". With that mindset, we'd not have the Godfather II. There's nothing wrong with continuing a story if the creators feel there's valid impetus and grounds for elaborating on the narrative.

So I wouldn't entirely be against one, but the way it was ended really I felt was made to be a one-and-done deal and a follow-up continuing Joel and Ellie's storyline would feel misplaced and not needed. That said, I would love to see a prequel. The period explored from the outbreak and Sarah's death, exploring Joel's descent and many of the events in his past that were alluded to in the main game (his life as a smuggler, him and Tommy falling out, his relationship with Tess, him being a hunter and what made him stop), etc. There is so much material to explore in such a tumultuous period as the downfall of humanity, and how it would affect different people. Seeing civilization crumble realized as ND does it would be nuts.

It would seem a shame that such effort put into creating such a believable world wouldn't be touched again, but I'm not worried. I don't doubt we're going to see another one, it's just too successful and immensely popular of a new AAA IP not to, but I have faith that Naughty Dog will handle it with the dignity and respect it deserves.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Nope I think the ending was perfect and I think if you delve back in, it will just sort of diminish the quality of the story in the first, I don't think with Joel and Ellie you could get better, so if there was a new game in that world I think it should be called something else, and have a series of games within the world. so we have The Last Of Us, and then we have a game called The Last City or something I don't know but a completely different set of characters and stories, which maybe all interlink some how, but please god naughty dog don't carry it on with joel and ellie, please.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

like many polls that add qualifiers to the options that make zero sense and are limiting i'm not answering the poll.

however, i thought the first game epitomizes this generation of games: cinematic, generic, mundane and mediocre gameplay. however, i absolutely think there should be a sequel.

hopefully, they'll improve and innovate the a.i., stealth, cover and shooter mechanics, for starters. as well, i hope they create a story that isn't cliched, forced and perfectly p.c..

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Well, i think you can be sure that The Last of Us will have a sequel so it doesn't really matter what anyone want.

Hopefully though it wont be with the same boring Ellie from the first she has made her trip and is done.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

YES

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu

To Be Honest..... State Of Decay is alil bit better in certain areas particularly where Narrative is concerned. No seriously !

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#19 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

To Be Honest..... State Of Decay is alil bit better in certain areas particularly where Narrative is concerned. No seriously !

There are some things to like about SoD, but overall I found that game to be really bad. Terribly bad.

About TLoU, I don't really care but it would be great to see them leave it as a standalone experience. They rarely do such a thing though.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu

@Blueresident87

Yep ! Pretty Much....

Great Games are not about great ideas, they are about great execution... State Of Decay did not execute a single one of its core ideas properly..... So very unfortunate.... Hopefull they'l come out with Nation Of Decay and fix all those problems but more importantly... Add some god damn CO-OP !

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#21 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Blueresident87

Yep ! Pretty Much....

Great Games are not about great ideas, they are about great execution... State Of Decay did not execute a single one of its core ideas properly..... So very unfortunate.... Hopefull they'l come out with Nation Of Decay and fix all those problems but more importantly... Add some god damn CO-OP !

Co-op would be a must, no doubt. I was so very disappointing with SoD, because their ideas were great but the execution was...well, as you said it's unfortunate.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Minishdriveby

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Minishdriveby

Which only works well if the gameplay is solid and consistant. Sometimes I get spotted because ellie is standing behind me, preventing me from backing out of the way, it also doesn't help if you kill an enemy who has a gun but drops no bullets, who when I throw a brick into a clicker's face but it just keeps coming.

Most times I often find TLOU caught in between trying to be a video game and trying to be realistic. The effect is severely hindered by tiny inconsisties like that.

There are constraints to every medium. I don't think Naughty Dog ever denied that the game wasn't a video game and to ensure a sense of tension tiny inconsistencies had to be made in order to allow balance. If every enemy killed allowed the player to gain 8 more bullets there would be no urgency, desperation, or need to use different tactics.

I think the tiny inconsistencies enhance the effect, rather than hinder it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

@Minishdriveby

and yet they have Ellie give you resources which wouldn't be necessary if the enemies dropped them in the 1st place.... Why ? Just why ?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#24 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I don't think it needs one, but it's all but assured it's going to be getting one. This series is too profitable not to turn it into a franchise. Why else would Sony make a movie out of it?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Minishdriveby

@Lulu_Lulu:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Minishdriveby

and yet they have Ellie give you resources which wouldn't be necessary if the enemies dropped them in the 1st place.... Why ? Just why ?

Easy, from a design perspective it helps the player relate and appreciate her company more if she's offering helpful gifts to the player from time to time. It was a common design choice seen in many games for example BioShock Infinite; however, in my playthroughs I don't remember Ellie tossing me resources every couple of minutes like Elizabeth in Infinite, so while Ellie will randomly throw some resource your way occasionally the amount given to the player never offsets the balance as much as if the player was receiving resources from every enemy after clearing out a room of 25 people. There would be no hesitation to clear a room using a gun if you knew there wasn't going to be a consequence to using a gun, i.e. ending the conflict with the same or more bullets that you started the conflict with.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu

@Minishdriveby

Oh No... Not by a long shot ! Thats what the buddy boosts and the ladder segments are for.... Those scenes are nothing like Ellie giving you supplies, you can tell by how little attention they gave these senarios compared to how Bioshock Infinite or Even President Evil 5 and 6 handled them. Nope, Ellie doing all those things from Pointing out enemies about to spot you to throwing bricks around was just to bring balance to a game that would have other wise been too frustrating if you were baby sitting dead weight against fierce encounters that would be too frustrating to handle alone. Compare that to Bioshock, where you actually don't need Lizard breath give you resources. Remember Ellie only does it when you're running low, Lizard Breath throws coins at you no matter how deep in Money you are.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

It will in the form of DLC

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Minishdriveby
@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Minishdriveby

Oh No... Not by a long shot ! Thats what the buddy boosts and the ladder segments are for.... Those scenes are nothing like Ellie giving you supplies, you can tell by how little attention they gave these senarios compared to how Bioshock Infinite or Even President Evil 5 and 6 handled them. Nope, Ellie doing all those things from Pointing out enemies about to spot you to throwing bricks around was just to bring balance to a game that would have other wise been too frustrating if you were baby sitting dead weight against fierce encounters that would be too frustrating to handle alone. Compare that to Bioshock, where you actually don't need Lizard breath give you resources. Remember Ellie only does it when you're running low, Lizard Breath throws coins at you no matter how deep in Money you are.

Can both those sequences not be used to establish the same response from the player? It could be argued as well that Ellie's gift giving is more effective in establishing a relationship because she does it less frequently and often only in extremely dire situations while Elizabeth's incessant need to throw things at the player can become a frustration in itself, and again even when Ellie does give you a resource it's not enough to disrupt the balance of the game. I agree the game would have been more frustrating if you had to protect Ellie while playing, but that is not the case and not from which your complaint stems; however, I disagree that the game would have become too difficult if she wasn't there pointing out enemies or giving the player resources.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu

@Minishdriveby

If she actually looked me in the eye and handed it over to me then yeah sure, but all she say is "Take This" and an icon pops ups showing you what you got.... Its not nearly as effective as boosting her over a ledge or moving her on one of those rafts in the water sections, it was designed purely as a gameplay mechanic and it shows. Its no more significant than reloading or melee.

"I disagree that the game would have become too difficult if she wasn't there...."

Theres areas of the game where you go at it Solo, The types of enemies they throw at you are not designed for Joel's or Ellies mechanics when they are alone.... The game already has issues with a partner, being surrounded by clickers alone only further shines a light on them.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Of course, it should get so many of them that it becomes a highly derivative series like Uncharted. It is profitable, so why not?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Minishdriveby

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Minishdriveby

If she actually looked me in the eye and handed it over to me then yeah sure, but all she say is "Take This" and an icon pops ups showing you what you got.... Its not nearly as effective as boosting her over a ledge or moving her on one of those rafts in the water sections, it was designed purely as a gameplay mechanic and it shows. Its no more significant than reloading or melee.

"I disagree that the game would have become too difficult if she wasn't there...."

Theres areas of the game where you go at it Solo, The types of enemies they throw at you are not designed for Joel's or Ellies mechanics when they are alone.... The game already has issues with a partner, being surrounded by clickers alone only further shines a light on them.

I never said it was as effective as the other more personal moments, only that it too serves to strengthen the relationship. By zooming the camera onto Ellie during intense combat scenes, it takes focus off of what the danger is at the moment.

I don't understand how the types of enemies being thrown at you are not well handled alone. Ellie is often doing her own thing, she rarely damages enemies, and rarely helps in combat other than stating that someone is near you and she often doesn't do that. I didn't see a dramatic change in difficulty when the player is alone.

Khasym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Khasym
Member since 2003 • 585 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Of course, it should get so many of them that it becomes a highly derivative series like Uncharted. It is profitable, so why not?

TLoU is a game that did what few other games did; transition very well from an older console generation, to a newer one. it's a game that people are still praising a year after release. Frankly, it's the best looking game on the PS4 right now, and still one of the most memorable experiences....so why taint that legend with sequel-itis, and turn it into something far less than it was?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@Minishdriveby

Look... Theres no reason it can't do both, theres actually many games that prove its possible, however taking everything into consideration... What do you think it was actually designed for ? for the "Feels" or to balance the game due to a mistake in its design ?

FYI, all my complaints come from playing the game on the 2nd Hardest Difficulty. That should clarify a few things.

Do the samething with Bioshock Infinite, playing it on 99 Mode will take this game off anyones favourites list.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu

@Khasym

Oh no its not, TLOU is not the prettiest game on the PS4, not by a long shot !

Besides the only reason it manage to make that transition so well was because the technical leap was not impressive to begin with, its nothing compared to the 6th-7th Gen leap. But more importantly... Why so much emphasis on graphics ? I swear sometimes it seems like thats all people care about. Its literally the only difference between the both versions of the game.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Minishdriveby

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Minishdriveby

Look... Theres no reason it can't do both, theres actually many games that prove its possible, however taking everything into consideration... What do you think it was actually designed for ? for the "Feels" or to balance the game due to a mistake in its design ?

FYI, all my complaints come from playing the game on the 2nd Hardest Difficulty. That should clarify a few things.

Do the samething with Bioshock Infinite, playing it on 99 Mode will take this game off anyones favourites list.

I honestly think the resource giving was designed for helping to further bridge an emotional connection and to occasionally help the player.

I'm assuming you played on hard mode then? Survivor mode placed the game higher on my list personally. Infinite was never on a mental favorite list to begin with.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu

@Minishdriveby

Actually Due to the DLC, Survivor mode is now the 2nd highest Difficulty. Thats when I 1st discovered the Resource thing, I never ran into it in the other difficulties.

"I honestly think the resource giving was designed for helping to further bridge an emotional connection...."

Sigh.... :( if you insist...

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Minishdriveby

@Lulu_Lulu: Hmmmm... I still need to play the DLC.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Khasym said:

@foxhound_fox said:

TLoU is a game that did what few other games did; transition very well from an older console generation, to a newer one. it's a game that people are still praising a year after release. Frankly, it's the best looking game on the PS4 right now, and still one of the most memorable experiences....so why taint that legend with sequel-itis, and turn it into something far less than it was?

People still praise The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and claim it to be one of the best games ever made.

Not much a year old game can do in the face of a game that's been praised so highly for 16 years that it still holds a 99/100 on Metacritic (the highest score achieved).

It's been getting arguably better sequels ever since, but it doesn't have the kind of franchise potential as TLoU. Sony is going to keep milking the TLoU IP until it dries up. Just like they are doing with Killzone and Uncharted.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Minishdriveby

Left behind is the only worthy one...

Despite the heavy scripting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

No. I do not think Naughty Dog needs to create a sequel. The game was extremely well written and the downloadable content is more than enough to engage you. I personally feel if they did create a sequel, they would focus on the wrong things and it would just ruin what we already have.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@TheDarkWolf86

Only if you give the original more credit than it deserves.

Sequels usually suck but every now and then a good one comes along and people hold the original to such a sigh standard that the sequel could never live up to, You can't re-experience The Last Of Us 2 like its the 1st time all over again, this was the biggest problems Bioshock ran into and its what caused Bioshock Infinite to be such a disaster.

It happens alot with horror games, its kinda hard to maintain fear once the mystery is gone, because the scariest thing in horror, is not knowing, once you break that illusion, its over ! You have to start over, which means you have to wait until people forget, and thats just not good business.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Minishdriveby

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@TheDarkWolf86

Only if you give the original more credit than it deserves.

Sequels usually suck but every now and then a good one comes along and people hold the original to such a sigh standard that the sequel could never live up to, You can't re-experience The Last Of Us 2 like its the 1st time all over again, this was the biggest problems Bioshock ran into and its what caused Bioshock Infinite to be such a disaster.

It happens alot with horror games, its kinda hard to maintain fear once the mystery is gone, because the scariest thing in horror, is not knowing, once you break that illusion, its over ! You have to start over, which means you have to wait until people forget, and thats just not good business.

Infinite problems stemmed from its combat systems, a grievance that should hold impact with your gameplay first attitude, being extremely shallow when compared to previous games in the series. Even if the original wasn't held in high regards, taking away features doesn't really improve the current game's situation. Matthewmatosis does a pretty good in-depth review of the failings of Infinite.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulu_Lulu

@Minishdriveby

Mathew who ?

Send me linky please... I love people who bash Bioshock Infinite. It really does need to get put in its place

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lulu_Lulu

@Jimmy_Russell

If you got any cash you don't know what to do with then yeah... Go for it, theres a sweet story and interesting gameplay that you won't regret experiencing.... Just don't fall for the hype and you'l be fine.

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

The notion that Naughty Dog should not ever make a sequel using those two characters is absurd to me.

If there's a story worthy of being told, why would they not make a sequel? They are the ones who created this world, this story, those characters, and if they feel they have a story that needs telling, now people don't trust them to tell it and make it worthwhile?

Silly, if you ask me.

Does it need a sequel? Not for me to say. I didn't it create it. But if Naughty Dog has more to tell me then you bet your ass I'm willing to listen.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#47 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I don't mind prequels or sequels to games or movies, just as long as they are creative and quality extentions of the story.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Minishdriveby

@Lulu_Lulu: Matthewmatosis

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulu_Lulu

@Minishdriveby

God Damn Mathew doesn't miss a thing ! Nothing ! Luckily we see eye to eye on the gameplay flaws. :)

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Minishdriveby

@Lulu_Lulu: yes, I really enjoy his critical analyses.