Should Sega get behind Homebrewers and support the Dreamcast?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

downnice95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 downnice95
Member since 2013 • 152 Posts
I think it would be a amazing idea for Sega to support these games and Sega to make new games for the Dreamcast. It would be a Niche Market but if the Re Release the console and sell it for 100$. I think it would be cool because the Dreamcast never got a fair shake the last time around
Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts
The Dreamcast is too outdated today to put in new gameplay stuff. They could release a DC2 with updated hardware and sell it for $100 and that would be a much better choice.
downnice95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 downnice95
Member since 2013 • 152 Posts

Maybe a slight update but it does not have to compete with Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and also changing the hardware to much would make it harder for the current developers for it. 

I think it would be a cool idea for Sega

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I think dropping support for the Dreamcast was a mistake on Sega's behalf.

They could have still supported it with arcade ports and such while at the same time making games for other platforms as well.

Anyway, the system is too old now to be of any commercial interest for Sega so the homebrewers will have to keep doing it on their own.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

The Dreamcast is too outdated today to put in new gameplay stuff. Kjranu

You're not serious are you?...

You could make 'new gameplay types' on an atari 2600 

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Why would Sega waste their time on such a limited fanbase compared to the mainstream fanbase of XBox 360, PS3, and Wii U?

If they wanted to do retro-style games, they could just release them via XBox Live, Playstation Network, and Steam. It would reach a bigger audience, and it would cost less to produce since there's no physical media to be produced.

As cool as new Dreamcast games by Sega would be to old-school gamers and collectors like us, Sega really isn't in it for us. They're in it for the money. And making retro-games on the Dreamcast just wouldn't make enough money. New Dreamcast games will forever be a homebrew community thing.

tehMoerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tehMoerz
Member since 2012 • 54 Posts

They could have still supported it with arcade ports and such while at the same time making games for other platforms as well.

Anyway, the system is too old now to be of any commercial interest for Sega so the homebrewers will have to keep doing it on their own.

nameless12345
This is true.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#8 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

Instead of re-releasing a retro console, they could just release the Sega RingEdge 2 arcade system as a console (like what the Sega Naomi arcade system was to the Dreamcast). Its specs are more or less comparable to the PS4 or Xbox Durango. Nevertheless, I doubt Sega would want to take the risk on a new console.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#9 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Instead of re-releasing a retro console, they could just release the Sega RingEdge 2 arcade system as a console (like what the Sega Naomi arcade system was to the Dreamcast). Its specs are more or less comparable to the PS4 or Xbox Durango. Nevertheless, I doubt Sega would want to take the risk on a new console.

Jag85

This would be pretty sweet. Like a modern day Sega versio of Neo Geo.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

logicalfrank

Or a modern day Dreamcast. ;)

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Yes, brilliant. Release games for a non existent market.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#12 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

logicalfrank

That's exactly what I had in mind. Sega RingEdge 2 (or whatever they might decide to call its console equivalent) could establish a niche for itself as the arcade console, just like the Neo Geo did in the 90s.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

nameless12345

already 2013 will see 10 new releases on dreamcast. so I guess it is commercially attractive to some.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

bultje112

already 2013 will see 10 new releases on dreamcast. so I guess it is commercially attractive to some.

And not one of them are from a major game publisher. They're pretty much homebrew games. Those are labors of love. But that does not translate into the sales numbers that companies like Sega, Activision, or Capcom are shooting for.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Emerald_Warrior

And not one of them are from a major game publisher. They're pretty much homebrew games. Those are labors of love. But that does not translate into the sales numbers that companies like Sega, Activision, or Capcom are shooting for.

the argument here isn't taht big companies should be releasing games on dreamcast, but homebrew be supported where possible and sega re releasing new dreamcast at low costs.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

the argument here isn't taht big companies should be releasing games on dreamcast, but homebrew be supported where possible and sega re releasing new dreamcast at low costs.

No, that's not the argument at all. Re-read the original post:

I think it would be a amazing idea for Sega to support these games and Sega to make new games for the Dreamcast. It would be a Niche Market but if the Re Release the console and sell it for 100$. I think it would be cool because the Dreamcast never got a fair shake the last time around

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bultje112

ok my bad. I was merely following the topic title that says sega to get behind homebrewers

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I wish they would team up with Google, make a new $99-$129 console with respectable tablet hardware (Quad-Core Tegra, 1-2GB RAM, etc) and have some android games plus new SEGA first party games.

It'd be like Ouya with SEGA games. I'd love it and I do think if they sold it at a small profit they'd get at least 1-2 million units per year and make bank but it won't happen.

GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts

Sega making new Dreamcast games would be amzing, but I would already be happy if they would just offer licenses again, so developers could bring out official games which would run on any DC and maybe also use the original development tools again.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
You can do whatever you want but Sega is never going to be relevant on the hardware side of console gaming as they were in the early 90s, ever.
GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts

This to answer would require Sega to give it another try. The situation is far too shifty to be sure without trying in my oninion. See Nintendos rise and fall with the Wii.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#22 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

not really, they are doing enough by letting/not caring if indie games get made on their old systems.

I would rather Sega focused on trying to stay afloat....

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

As Darkman said, I think the fact that they don't bother to prosecute all the homebrew stuff out there right now, available via torrent and other fan-maintained sites is more than enough "support"... They would never sink resources into an idea like this. Not that I wouldn't be in line to buy stuff for my DC, mind you... I'd be right there with most of you.

:D

Still, pipe dream.