Should Mortal Kombat Tone Down The Violence?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3186 Posts

There have been a number of people making topics about MK covering up the female characters, and some people point out the violence should bother folks more than boobs. So, I'll bite. What do you think? Has the violent imagery in recent Mortal Kombat games gone too far?

Personally, I think it could benefit from scaling things back a bit. The games keep having to one-up themselves to the point that the X-ray Moves and Fatalities are so elaborate and long. They kind of interrupt the flow of gameplay. I mean, it should never be a tame bloodless affair, but at least keeping the X-ray moves quick and simple could be to the games benefit.

Anyway, what do you think?

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2050 Posts

I kinda think it has gone to a ridiculous level now lol. I miss the MK2 days where the real gore was earned through fatalities.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3240 Posts

Hell no

Avatar image for deactivated-5d35e2183f2b7
deactivated-5d35e2183f2b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d35e2183f2b7
Member since 2019 • 80 Posts

I don't think they should tone it down, but I don't like that fatal blow look like fatalities that doesn't kill people. Also I feel like there should be more blood when someone gets open.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8672 Posts

Depends on creators intent in the art department with these games.

I don't think either sexual themed content or horrific violence should be altered if it breaks the vision of the game.

The people who complain about this stuff tend to not have a creative bone in their body. So such opinions should be ignored, let artists be artists.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 38648 Posts

Remember what happened to MK vs DC? Yeah lol.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 28738 Posts

No I don’t think so. However I think the developer should do whatever they feel like doing so if that was something that they decided to do then I wouldn’t really be too bothered by it either.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 10480 Posts

More babalities and friendships.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I felt the violence was so cartoony in MK11. Way more than in MK X or 9.

I think it is in the way the blood is animated and the texture of it. Also the fatality are quite ridiculous this time.

I still think the most violent MK was MKII. The gore was all in the fatality and they were brutal at the time. They weren't joking, it was dark. From MKIII through 9 it was so ridiculous, too ridiculous. MK9 was a lot more serious.

X rays were interesting and they are strategic move especially in MK11 were you can only do it one time in every match ...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44629 Posts

If they did, it wouldn't be MK any more. Leave the violence in.

With that said, it doesn't really appeal to me. I don't know if it's just me, but I think you get to a certain age and that kind of thing just doesn't do it for you anymore.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#11 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2074 Posts

Nah, that's what makes it.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 3723 Posts

No they should not. It is the fighting game that people go to for gore. I'm a Street Fighter guy myself, but I think it is what the fans want.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 judaspete

After thinking about it a bit more, I think it might be a good move for the franchise to tone things down. There is a perception that violence is the main draw, but MK has grown into a genuinely good fighting game. There are always a ton of secrets to discover, plus the lore is way more fleshed out than anything else in the genre (OK, Blazeblue may have them beat but their story is boring and poorly presented). I love how it pulls influence from a myriad of different mythologies to create something unique and wholly it's own. People might recognize that more if the violence was less. I don't know, just a thought.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
MclarenMaster18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14 MclarenMaster18
Member since 2014 • 1894 Posts

In my personal opinion: Yes

I find the game is way too disturbing so that's why I personally think Killer Instinct is much better than Mortal Kombat in my opinion.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 2561 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

No I don’t think so. However I think the developer should do whatever they feel like doing so if that was something that they decided to do then I wouldn’t really be too bothered by it either.

Bingo. Games like Mortal Kombat create a little more variety for gamers. People can always stick with their Street Fighters, Tekkens, or Blaz Blues if they're a bit squeamish or if they find it distasteful

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By judaspete

@valgaav_219: I agree that developer should do what they want, but I do wonder if this is what they want. They could feel stuck having to constantly one-up themselves, but keep going for fear of fan backlash. The violence is so elaborate now that it must take up more time an resources with each new game, but they may feel they have no choice. Remember when Armageddon had that Create a Fatality thing instead of unique ones for each character? Fans were pissed.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
GettingonwithGamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GettingonwithGamingLife
Member since 2017 • 258 Posts

Crazy ridiculous level that it makes it too unrealistic and over the top. In fights no one has time to do that. On the other hand I wana play thsi game because it looks more exciting than street fighter to me....so the violence could stay.

XStation72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By XStation72
Member since 2019 • 3 Posts

Hell no. If people don't like the series or think it's too violent there's tons of Fighting games out there that are nowhere near as violent as MK is. Play those instead.