Should I skip current gen systems and stick to my PS2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

My brother gave me his PS2 that he didn't want anymore several years ago. Starting about 3 years ago I completely stopped using it myself, and during the time that I did play it, I never got into any of the many great RPG's for it. Lately I've been wanting to get back into console gaming, but I'm not really interested in any of the current gen systems. The PS3 seems overpriced. The 360 has been out for 4 years now, so it doesn't really seem worth buying this late in its life. I've only heard good things about the wii, but there doesn't seem to be a single major RPG on it that I would want to play.

Right now I'm planning on just buying a new power cable, controller, and some new games (Final Fantasy X and XII, and Dragon Quest VIII for starters) for my PS2. Do you think it would be wise for me to do this, and just wait for the next gen consoles to come out?

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
Sure, play some PS2 games until you feel the PS3 is worth a purchase. Pick up Okami, Ico, and Shadow of the Colossus.
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

That's about what I'm doing.

Figure I won't blow all my money on current consoles, and just try to mooch as much as possible off my friends. Then come next gen I'll just have all the money I saved + more for those consoles.

Seems worth it to me since I'm not overly interested in many of the console games as of now. My PC, and DS are holding up really nice in the gaming department 8)

pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

My brother gave me his PS2 that he didn't want anymore several years ago. Starting about 3 years ago I completely stopped using it myself, and during the time that I did play it, I never got into any of the many great RPG's for it. Lately I've been wanting to get back into console gaming, but I'm not really interested in any of the current gen systems. The PS3 seems overpriced. The 360 has been out for 4 years now, so it doesn't really seem worth buying this late in its life. I've only heard good things about the wii, but there doesn't seem to be a single major RPG on it that I would want to play.

Right now I'm planning on just buying a new power cable, controller, and some new games (Final Fantasy X and XII, and Dragon Quest VIII for starters) for my PS2. Do you think it would be wise for me to do this, and just wait for the next gen consoles to come out?

The wii is not a good console for a gamer Nothing wrong with sticking with the ps2, it is still my favourite system ps2 > ps1 > 360 > ps3 > megadrive > gameboy colour > wii Some good ps2 games: finaly fantasy X, all the GTA's, Bully, Resident Evil Code Veronica X etc Also, the 360 is not near its death date just yet. The current gen appears as if its going to last longer than usual, there has been no talk of other consoles yet and the xbox 360's Project Natel or how ever you spell it wont be released for im guessing around 3 years, what we saw at E3 was just a prototype. So seriously if you can afford a 360 i would get one
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
The answer is yes. Current gen RPGs (from my understanding) aren't the greatest games, so waiting for a price drop to scoop them up cheap would be a wise decision. As for the PS2, I would just say browse Gamespot's "RPG" list under PS2>All Games and pick out what seems interesting. If your a true die hard RPG fan, the console kings of the genre go something like this - Snes>PS1>NES>PS2>DS ((Only an opinion).
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Do what your heart tells you.

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
Hmm well there are quite a few awesome games you'll be missing, try to play some games on a friends' this-gen console and see if you'd like to grab one. PS3, 360, and Wii all have awesome games to offer.
bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

I think you shoud play all the fabulously great games on the PS2 before you need to buy a next gen console, definately.

*cough*Bully*cough*

300DarkKnights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 300DarkKnights
Member since 2009 • 98 Posts
Yeah, I've really enjoyed my PS2 alot lately. I'm going to eventually get a PS3 but my PS2 is keeping me entertained (+ my Gamecube). I've gotten 30+ games for my PS2 in the past few months and I've spent a fraction (of a fraction) of money compared to nearly $1000 it would cost for as many PS3 games. There are hundreds of great games for PS2. I don't know much about RPG's myself, I don't play them, but I know of these incredible titles: Resident Evil 4, God of War 1 & 2, Burnout Takedown/Revenge, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Okami, X-Men Legends 1 & 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Tekken 5, Twisted Metal Black, and many many more. I'm currently saving my pocket change, (yeah I said it) putting it in really big jars. In a few months I'll have enough to get a PS3, but until then, I got plenty to do. :)
Dollar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 Dollar75
Member since 2006 • 718 Posts

Absolutely not. For the dozens of average games that this gen has, there are dozens more that are top notch and will be remembered. Your choice though

skrillalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 skrillalover
Member since 2003 • 1348 Posts

keep the ps2 skip current gen

get metal gear solid 1 2 and 3. god of war 1 and 2. final fantsay x and xii. dragon quest viii. okami. shadow of the collosus. there are tons more that are so awesome you really wont miss out at all. i dont own any current gen systems currently. i just play them all at my friends houses, and i get more than my fill.

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 amoremono1
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

I say sure....wait till the ps3 drops in price and games are cheaper, and the good games will be just as good as they are now. The ps2 has a massive library of awesome games, and most are nice and cheap now, so you could game for years catching up on the last 3!!

Ive got a ps3, and a Wii, and an XBOX, and PSP, and some console games, and still I find good games for the ps2 and play it regularly. It is, imo, the best system ever.

JmanRBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 JmanRBS
Member since 2006 • 394 Posts

Im pretty much doing the same thing with sticking to the ps2 and such, but heck I still play PS1 games. And I as well don't own any new gen systems unless you count the DS Lite one. Heh

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#14 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

The PS2 is a good system. I played that for a long time until I got my Wii. The PS2 has alot of good games and retailers like Gamestop are full of used PS2 games.

If you're looking for a next-gen system (or current-gen, I guess you could say) without overpricing, I think the Wii is probably the way to go. Also, if you're looking for something new, Nintendo just released the Wii Motion Plus accessory, which opens up a whole new world of gaming control. Grab a Wii and the game Wii Sports Resort-- the game comes packaged with the Wii Motion Plus.

As for RPGs, the Wii has a game called Rune Factory: Frontier...I'm not sure how deep it is though.

Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

you have a PS2? lucky. I didn't have one till i got my 360. Stay with the PS2. lots of good games came out for PS1 and PS2 worth playing. plus, that generation was a lot better than this one.

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 IpodHero176
Member since 2006 • 16952 Posts

I would say yes. The PS2 had many great games and amazing JRPGs. I would stick with it until you feel right to move on.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Do whatever you can to get a backwards compatable PS3. If that fails, stick with the PS2 and upgrade in a few years.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
Yeah, stick with the PS2. You'd be saving a lot more money that way, now that PS2 game prices are cheaper than ever before. You could get 3 AAA PS2 games for the price of 1 PS3 game.
TissueShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 159

#19 TissueShoe
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts
I've been wanting a PS2 even now, actually, because there are a lot of great games for it. I think if there are PS2 games you still want to play, then don't bother with a new system. It saves you oodles of money not buying a current system and not to mention PS2 games can be found for really low prices these days.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
It's up for you. This board is not for console recommendations.