Should I play Final Fantasy 7 and 9 ? Help convincing.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Legendarycr8ter
Legendarycr8ter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Legendarycr8ter
Member since 2012 • 354 Posts
I was around when they were out, I remember seeing Final Fantasy 7 commercials, and thinking about buying it. But when I palyed the demo, it just seemed bat to me. the heavy anime, the bad one dimensional personalities, and the horridly textured graphics. The CG was ok, but it just seemed like a bad game right off the bat. Yet people, who i though they were crazy, would go and buy it like crazy. For Final Fantasy IX, it just seemed weird, it was like a furry group off to go on a Disney like adventure with poor dialouge, and a bunch of cutscenes. I played a bit at a store that had the game hooked up to the Tv, and the amount of filler and lack of gameplay for the first 2 hours I played it just... wow. These are the only two Final Fantasy games I have not played, I brought 8 due to the fact it seemed like they were going more toward a realistic route, and trying to make sense, with better looking graphics, and nice CG. The plot ended up being completely awful, grinding and magic and triple tryad were implemented so poorly, along with a slow battle system,, especially for most animations, and the high encounter rate. Other things include, plot holes, random skips with no explanation, and the fact leveling up is almost entirely useless since everything levels up with you, making trying to make the game less tedious (it's not hard it just tries patience) impossible. So I never looked back to 9 or 7 due to 8, being one of the worst games I have ever played in my life of all time through generations of systems. BUT, and BUT, perhaps..... 7 and 9 might not be so bad, but how does 9 and 7 compare to games like: FF12 FFXiii FFX FFV FFVI these are the only FF games I can stand playing more than once, but 8 was just a terrible game in general. Now, if 7 and 9 have similar quality to these games at least in someway (Xiii,12,and X are bad to me, but I find them legit FF games.) than I may go back and play them. I just want to make sure i am not getting another FF8. I avoided and never looked back at the PSX FF titles for a reason. In fact, it made me stop even looking at any Square Enix title during 5th gen.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

trust me, go with VII. IX is good, but VII is way better imo.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

They're the only post-16-bit FF games I've enjoyed. So I recommend them. They're games that seem to be more about the story and adventure, and less about the romance and characterization. (Characterization is getting over-rated and forcing story to take a backseat too often today, and I think that's a mistake. Characterization is important, but the story should be more important in RPGs.)

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts

10,12,13 are 'LEGIT' final fantasy games? don't play ff7 or ff9.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9592 Posts

FF 9 is the only GREAT FF after the first 6. It takes the game back to its roots. 7 is a great game as well, but doesnt touch 9 imo. 8 and 10 are good but not great. Everything after 10 is a steaming pile of fecal matter. Once again in my opinion.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
9 is one of the best of the bunch as far as FF's go IMO...certainly the best from the PS1 era (especially the characters). 7 did the most for the genre, but it is not really a great game IMO. The characters and especially the dialogue are pretty crappy in hindsight. But, as I said, no RPG did more for the genre. So it is good to play just for that alone.
KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

Q. Should you play them?

A. Yes, yes you should.

Q. Why?

A. Because they are both great games.

If you like any of the other FF games, or any old JRPG, you should like both FF VII and IX. The main problem with VII is the translation wasn't that great and the dialog can be bad because of it.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I liked 9 better than 7. But then, the fan-gush over 7 might be one of the big reasons why I hate that game. HATE it. HATE IT!!!

:lol:

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Australianpope
Member since 2012 • 211 Posts

They're the only post-16-bit FF games I've enjoyed. So I recommend them. They're games that seem to be more about the story and adventure, and less about the romance and characterization. (Characterization is getting over-rated and forcing story to take a backseat too often today, and I think that's a mistake. Characterization is important, but the story should be more important in RPGs.)

Emerald_Warrior
I don't agree with this. RPGS should be about Role-playing and controlling the story, what you are stating is turning all RPGS into Visual novels, which Jrpgs in a lot of games are on the border of. It should be a mixture of both on even lengths.
BenefitEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BenefitEvil
Member since 2012 • 44 Posts
To me the Final Fantasy series has been about theme and level up/battle system mechanics. If you like a semi post apocalyptic world with a little steam punk splashed in go with FF VII. The battle mechanics are the "polished" version of 6 which imo did it better. If you have never played FF VII then I would recommend it for the place it has in gaming history. Final Fantasy IX is a sword and sorcery style theme with a ability learning battle mechanic. You learn new abilities by using weapons. Personal its one of my fav FF but a big reason is because I like the theme. Both have there place and are worth playing I think because it was at the end of the PSone's life FF IX gets some things very right that FF VII missed the mark on a bit. This of course is because they had more time with the hard ware.
Legendarycr8ter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Legendarycr8ter
To me the Final Fantasy series has been about theme and level up/battle system mechanics. If you like a semi post apocalyptic world with a little steam punk splashed in go with FF VII. The battle mechanics are the "polished" version of 6 which imo did it better. If you have never played FF VII then I would recommend it for the place it has in gaming history. Final Fantasy IX is a sword and sorcery style theme with a ability learning battle mechanic. You learn new abilities by using weapons. Personal its one of my fav FF but a big reason is because I like the theme. Both have there place and are worth playing I think because it was at the end of the PSone's life FF IX gets some things very right that FF VII missed the mark on a bit. This of course is because they had more time with the hard ware. BenefitEvil
There are games that got 1.5 out of ten for introducing thing in gaming history, that is not a valid reason to buy it. Although 9 sounds interesting from some posts here so far.
Sidian1626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sidian1626
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I find more and more nowadays people hating on FF7 but it seems to be more derived by how much the game is loved rather than legit gripes about the game. I'm not sure what it is about something being so well-liked that it turns others off. Ive gamed a LOOOOONG time. From atari 2600 days. Few games have ever really challenged my thought on what a game was...super mario 3, link to the past, mario 64, and goldeneye are a few. Final Fantasy 7 set a bar so high i have not found its equal since. It literally re-defined what i knew about storytelling in gaming. When i play that game or any of its spin-offs, it doesnt feel like im playing a game but visiting old friends. Everything from the characters, to the story, to the music, to the beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds and of course to the gameplay is fantastic....thousands of secrets to discover, tons of mini-games and of course side quests. Beating Emerald and Ruby Weapon (without the internet mind you) was one of my greatest moments ever in gaming. I spent hundreds of hours in this game, had many attempts at "perfect" files and was a favorite among all my friends before long. Final Fantasy 7 to me was more than simply a game it was an experience. Theres no other way i can describe it. I'm sorry if that bothers some snobs who dont get it. Final Fantasy 9 to me was a good game and i remember liking it quite a bit but its not on the same level as 7. i only completed it once and to be honest i can barely remember much of the game. I do remember being irritated when the final boss came out of nowhere, and on disk 4 many places you visited throughout the game became closed off now that you finally had the airship to revisit them which SEVERELY damaged my opinion of the game...i wanted to go back, explore and see what the npcs had to say at this point and to me this was extremely lazy. oh and while i know this isnt about he game really it had the worst brady games strategy guide of ALL TIME (almost all useful information it withheld and told you to go to sony's PlayOnline or whatever it was called to find out the rest despite the fact you just blew 20 BUCKS ON THE DAMN GUIDE) . i would still recommend 9 of course but nothing has ever matched Final Fantasy 7 for me.
Legendarycr8ter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Legendarycr8ter
[QUOTE="Sidian1626"]I find more and more nowadays people hating on FF7 but it seems to be more derived by how much the game is loved rather than legit gripes about the game. I'm not sure what it is about something being so well-liked that it turns others off. Ive gamed a LOOOOONG time. From atari 2600 days. Few games have ever really challenged my thought on what a game was...super mario 3, link to the past, mario 64, and goldeneye are a few. Final Fantasy 7 set a bar so high i have not found its equal since. It literally re-defined what i knew about storytelling in gaming. When i play that game or any of its spin-offs, it doesnt feel like im playing a game but visiting old friends. Everything from the characters, to the story, to the music, to the beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds and of course to the gameplay is fantastic....thousands of secrets to discover, tons of mini-games and of course side quests. Beating Emerald and Ruby Weapon (without the internet mind you) was one of my greatest moments ever in gaming. I spent hundreds of hours in this game, had many attempts at "perfect" files and was a favorite among all my friends before long. Final Fantasy 7 to me was more than simply a game it was an experience. Theres no other way i can describe it. I'm sorry if that bothers some snobs who dont get it. Final Fantasy 9 to me was a good game and i remember liking it quite a bit but its not on the same level as 7. i only completed it once and to be honest i can barely remember much of the game. I do remember being irritated when the final boss came out of nowhere, and on disk 4 many places you visited throughout the game became closed off now that you finally had the airship to revisit them which SEVERELY damaged my opinion of the game...i wanted to go back, explore and see what the npcs had to say at this point and to me this was extremely lazy. oh and while i know this isnt about he game really it had the worst brady games strategy guide of ALL TIME (almost all useful information it withheld and told you to go to sony's PlayOnline or whatever it was called to find out the rest despite the fact you just blew 20 BUCKS ON THE DAMN GUIDE) . i would still recommend 9 of course but nothing has ever matched Final Fantasy 7 for me.

no, not only is your first 3 sentences full of crap because god knows opinions don't matter anymore unless you hate something for no reason :roll:, but you are heavingly effected by nostalgia. Not only that, but I can tell you if you played more games and really played since the 2600 days Final Fantasy anything would not have reinvented anything in story telling since games were way ahead of the FF series in terms of story, and I highly doubt when I play FF7, I will change gears. ave you ever played video games with a competent story before? Also half your post was a rant instead of answering the question. Now, maybe I should play both games, but the question is which one first? I am seeing a lot of lack of info for 9 in the posts so far, which is werid since FF9 is the highest rated FF of all time on Metacritic. Did nobody buy it?
tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tab134

as i said earlier, don't play either. if you hated ff8, theres no way i could see you liking 7 or 9. that said i'll give my two cents on both. so you've played the ff7 demo, which i remember as being the first reactor up until the first boss, how do you get " bad one dimensional personalities" from the first 20minutes of the game. the character set is arguably the most memorable in the franchise. the story is definitely all over the place, but at least it's not a complete bore like ff8.i like the materia system, every battle gives you xp/ap, ap points level up your equipped materia. the one thing i'll say about to those trying 7 for the first time, the games kind of boring until you reach the shinra building(bout 2-3hours). it's not groundbreaking, its just a solid jrpg. nowwww 9 on the other hand, probably has the most dialog/story out of the ps1 games. yes, the main dude has a tail, get over it. you're party will often split up and have to go through towns/missions one by one. it's probably the most colorful, but the in battle graphics are still pretty bad. the characters are less edgy/predictable. it has a card game to replace the triple triad crap, overall its still as pointless but it's a little less stupid. it's arguably the better of the two, but its not a groundbreaking game either. (edit:i want to point out that i hate ff8, but enjoy the other two.)

BT-445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BT-445
Member since 2012 • 137 Posts

Not VII

VII just plain ****. Its got **** characters, a **** story, a **** villian, really boring, and overall just a chore to play. I really don't see what people saw in VII.

Havent played IX but it never really interested me.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

VII has aged pretty bad. IX is fantastic though.

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Australianpope
Member since 2012 • 211 Posts

as i said earlier, don't play either. if you hated ff8, theres no way i could see you liking 7 or 9. that said i'll give my two cents on both. so you've played the ff7 demo, which i remember as being the first reactor up until the first boss, how do you get " bad one dimensional personalities" from the first 20minutes of the game. the character set is arguably the most memorable in the franchise. the story is definitely all over the place, but at least it's not a complete bore like ff8.i like the materia system, every battle gives you xp/ap, ap points level up your equipped materia. the one thing i'll say about to those trying 7 for the first time, the games kind of boring until you reach the shinra building(bout 2-3hours). it's not groundbreaking, its just a solid jrpg. nowwww 9 on the other hand, probably has the most dialog/story out of the ps1 games. yes, the main dude has a tail, get over it. you're party will often split up and have to go through towns/missions one by one. it's probably the most colorful, but the in battle graphics are still pretty bad. the characters are less edgy/predictable. it has a card game to replace the triple triad crap, overall its still as pointless but it's a little less stupid. it's arguably the better of the two, but its not a groundbreaking game either. (edit:i want to point out that i hate ff8, but enjoy the other two.)

tab134
Legacy Platforms. :) :) I swear this place gets funnier everyday.
tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tab134

[QUOTE="tab134"]

Australianpope

Legacy Platforms. :) :) I swear this place gets funnier everyday.

well i should probably clarify, he hated 8 because "The plot ended up being completely awful, grinding and magic and triple tryad were implemented so poorly, along with a slow battle system,, especially for most animations, and the high encounter rate. Other things include, plot holes, random skips with no explanation, and the fact leveling up is almost entirely useless since everything levels up with you, making trying to make the game less tedious (it's not hard it just tries patience) impossible.", most of these complaints can be easiely applied to 7 or 9. I, unlike him, played ff7 when it was first released and loved it. 8 was a major disappointment for me, i don't exactly hate it nor is it my least favorite final fantasy, it plays almost the same as 7 and 9. considering it plays basically the same, its safe to say legendarycr8ter wont either 7 or 9. it's like telling someone who hated modern warfare 2 to pick up cod4.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

trust me, go with VII. IX is good, but VII is way better imo.

Shenmue_Jehuty

agree completely.

I love FFIX, but FFVII is my favorite game, EVER.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#20 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

VII has aged pretty bad. IX is fantastic though.

whiskeystrike

disagree 100% with this.

final fantasy VII hasn't aged any better or worse than FFVIII or FFIX.

Avatar image for Mike_theMartian
Mike_theMartian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mike_theMartian
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I'm currently playing Vii for the first time. I like the game so far, the dialogue between character is sometimes funny. The battle System is good and easy to understand. I'm only 3 hours in, the story is quite interesting. I'm play the game on my PSP, so the game looks fine due to the screen size of the PSP. I wasn't sure which to get also, but I decided to start with Vii.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#23 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

For FF7 and 9, yes you need to play those games. In my opinion, they are some a couple of the best in the series, and yes I've play VI(III) but barely enjoyed my time with it.