Should I get rid of my Xbox 360, PS2 and Wii U?

Ismaeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ismaeel
Member since 2016 • 37 Posts

Here's my situation.

My video game consoles are taking up quite a lot of room, in terms of power sockets, HDMI slots and physical space, and the consoles that I have mentioned are ones that I don't play very often anymore. I've also got a plan in my mind as well, and have different reasons for considering getting rid of each system.

I aim on replacing my PS2 with an original PS3 60GB, as that has backwards compatibility and I can finally be able to play Metal Gear 4 (I've recently got into this franchise and am play 1 at the moment).

My Xbox 360 is proving to be less useful to me, as more and more games that I own are becoming backwards compatible on the Xbox One. Although there's many great games I own that aren't backwards compatible yet (e.g, Burnout Revenge, Forza Motorsport 2 - 4, Grid, Need for Speed games), I can happily wait for them (although is a risk that they may never be compitable).

The Wii U games I own are available on another platform, with exception of the exclusive on the system, and with the Nintendo Switch reciving games re-released (e.g. Mario Kart 8), it will be less difficult to get rid of it. However, it does mean that all Wii games will likely have to go, and no more Super Smash Bros for the Wii U (although I have a 3DS version). Then again, it is a dead system.

Hopefully, with feedback, I can come to a conclusion and make a firm decision.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Note: I'm a gamer from the UK, so consider that when discussing about the PS3.

Ismaeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ismaeel

Also, to add another point, I have my brother' 60GB PS3, but it has the Yellow Light of Death. If I were to replace my PS2, should I have that repaired?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7265 Posts

Just keep in mind that the 60 gig PS3s are unreliable. Mine broke twice already. I repaired it myself the first time, and got it professionally fixed the second. The Yellow Light of Death has hit every PS3 owner I know at one point. If you're fairly tech-savy and can keep fixing it yourself, it might be worth it. Otherwise, the PS2 may be nice to keep around.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44155 Posts

I'd recommend keeping them and just box them back and put them away. You never know if you might want to play some games that may not be playable on the newer systems.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@ismaeel:

I wouldn't rely on Xbox One backwards compatibility if I were you. Some games are noticeably glitchy on the One.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@ismaeel said:

Also, to add another point, I have my brother' 60GB PS3, but it has the Yellow Light of Death. If I were to replace my PS2, should I have that repaired?

as far as I'm aware, there is no permanent fix for the YLOD. I'm sure plenty of people advertise that, but read up on it thoroughly before shelling out money to have it done. YLOD comes about from components on the PCB flexing and terminals separating from the board, and the only ideal fix would be a properly reprinted board. Because of the precision nature of PCB, the YLOD repairs that I am aware of are clumsy heating techniques that reflow the existing solder on the PCB in an attempt to re-establish severed connections on the chips. This could easily weaken other connections by causing their solder to run, or bridge terminals. I doubt this is ever a lasting repair; my bet is that even if the connection is repaired, the same or even a different one is liable to fail in the not too distant future

*edit* as judaspete's response above seems to support

Paradox7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Paradox7
Member since 2017 • 7 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

I'd recommend keeping them and just box them back and put them away. You never know if you might want to play some games that may not be playable on the newer systems.

This, all the way. It;s unlikely you'll be able to sell these consoles for that much money. If you just pack them up and put them somewhere out of the way, you'll never regret not being able to play any generation exclusives again.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

Move your consoles out of the way and bring them out when you have that want to play them. You aren't going to get much money for them anyway and you'll likely regret it when you have the inkling to play the ps2 or something.

I still have my ps2, ps3, gamecube, wii, gameboy color, gameboy advance, nintendo ds, psp, etc etc.

@judaspete said:

Just keep in mind that the 60 gig PS3s are unreliable. Mine broke twice already. I repaired it myself the first time, and got it professionally fixed the second. The Yellow Light of Death has hit every PS3 owner I know at one point. If you're fairly tech-savy and can keep fixing it yourself, it might be worth it. Otherwise, the PS2 may be nice to keep around.

I've never had the YLOD and I've had a ps3 for years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I recommend against selling any of them. I've made the mistake of selling consoles in the past when I thought for sure that I no longer had any use for them and I have always eventually regretted it and ended up having to re-buy the consoles back.

Even if you don't see any use for the console at the moment, you never know when you might want to play it again in the future and you are unlikely to get much money from selling them anyway, so I think you should just box them up and put them into storage somewhere if they are taking up too much room.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

not all 360 games get backwards compatibility, so it is worth keeping 360 in storage somewhere so that you can pull it out if need arises.

I do not, however, see any reason why you should keep WiiU.

Ismaeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ismaeel

Thank you to those who have responded to this post.

Based on them, it seems it would be best for me to keep it in storage and take it out whenever I felt like it. Seems to be the easiest and least complicated issue.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

@ismaeel: I would sell them all personally. Most 360 games are backwards compatible with the Xbone. Most PS2 games you can get through online emulation. Wii U isn't worth keep imho unless you're buying Zelda for it.

Like a previous poster said, you can always buy them again if you feel you need them.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#13 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@putaspongeon said:

Move your consoles out of the way and bring them out when you have that want to play them. You aren't going to get much money for them anyway and you'll likely regret it when you have the inkling to play the ps2 or something.

I still have my ps2, ps3, gamecube, wii, gameboy color, gameboy advance, nintendo ds, psp, etc etc.

@judaspete said:

I've never had the YLOD and I've had a ps3 for years.

Same here, I have a PS3 fat and slim(both since launch), I use the them both a few times a month and they work just fine. Now as far as the general topic, just as others have said, you'll be better off(TC) keeping your old consoles. I still got my Dreamcast, XB360, PS3 Fat & Slim, I love the fact that when I wanna play a classic tittle, it's right there for me too enjoy, I'm not getting ripped off paying for backwards compatibility. TC don't get caught up next-gen hype, it's ok and it's really starting to shine, but you will miss playing your old games.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I keep my consoles always. You can pack them up if you want to disconnect them and clear up space.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

I keep my consoles always. You can pack them up if you want to disconnect them and clear up space.

Same here.

No reason to get rid of consoles.

strongparkour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 strongparkour
Member since 2016 • 192 Posts

@ismaeel: My personal option would be a Nintendo switch, but that would mean you'd have to pretty much sell all your consoles, but trust me it's worth it, I have one myself and think it's great to play on. (Especially Zelda: Breath of the wild).

Ismaeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ismaeel

@strongparkour: I already have the Switch, without needing to sell these consoles, by saving my money. That's not what I mean by bringing up the Switch in this form; what I meant is that with Mario Kart 8 being ported over to that console (and all of my Wii U library games being available on other platforms), do decide as to whether or not it was worth keeping it.

strongparkour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 strongparkour
Member since 2016 • 192 Posts

@ismaeel: OK, what you mean is: You want to decide which console to keep? Correct? If so, I would keep the PS2 because I loved that awesome console back in the day, man.... they were pretty cool.

PS3 I didn't really play that much but I would get rid of it, Xbox 360, I would probably keep it only because I have too many games on it to wanna sell it, take a look on my profile to see how many "Games I own" stack collection, then you'll see why I say that, also tell me which games I have that you think are good to play, if you like.

To be honest... Wii U was a total downside from my perspective, didn't have very great games apart from Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda Breath of the wild.

Hope this helps.

Ismaeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ismaeel

@strongparkour: yes, this reply (and others) have mostly be helped. Thanks again to you (and everyone else in this form) for helping me make a decision.

I'm going to keep my PS2 and just get a PS3 (regardless of the model) when the time comes for Metal Gear Solid 4 (unless it gets released on XBO, PS4 or Switch) and abandon plans on repairing my brother's YLOD.

I'll keep the 360, unless the XBO has all of the games compatibles and runs smoothly.

The Wii U is a bit of an odd one. If more of the Wii U exclusives get re-released (or get a sequel) on the Switch, then there is not point in keeping it (may as well get an original Wii). If that is not the case, then I'll keep it.

But for now, none of them are going.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

the only systems i've ever gotten rid of was my Sega and N64. And i only got rid of them because i hated them and had no attachment to them at all. I kinda can give the same advice, if you don't care about any of the games on the systems anymore, just get rid of them.

Sounds like you like the xbox 360 games still so keep it around until all of them are playable on the xbox one or at least most of them that you like.

A good chunk of ps2 games are playable on the PCSX2 emulator for your pc. I have my ps2 boxed up because i can play them all on my pc, with the exception of a few. DOA for example doesn't play but its sequels were superior so it doesn't matter. I also have a launch ps3 like you do so i can play them on there also if they are too buggy on pc to play. Its too bad your ps3 is failing, with this problem you almost have to keep a ps2 around or you are out of luck.

LordCyphen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LordCyphen
Member since 2017 • 16 Posts

Personally, as I have purpose for a lot of the old systems (have both One and 360, but fell off the Sony bandwagon after PS2), hell I have an Atari, NES, and Gamecube chilling in the next room, but I have alot of these hooked up to system switches and all of the power cords to them banded together so I can pick and choose pretty painlessly what I want to play (maybe I'll find an outlet switch someday, that'd be neat). But that's me personally, so for you, I'd say as long as you're playing games you enjoy on older systems, why not keep enjoying?