Should I buy a WiiU or 3DS XL?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Zijuun
Member since 2013 • 95 Posts

I have a PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. I had a Wii and DS, but I sold both of them. I'll be getting a PS4 soon too.

I'm planning on buying a WiiU or 3DS XL, which one?

I like some games for both, I just want to kill some time with Nintendo games. I don't mind playing JRPGs like Pokemon, I prefer a home console over a handheld (Nintendo's case might be different) and I like online/multiplayer. Money isn't a problem either.

Which do your reccomend me?

For Nintendo, I mostly look for platformers, action RPGs, 1st party games (a lot of Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon), etc. I want a console with games that has more bang for your buck. And please consider WiiU's future into consideration as well, some good games seem to be coming out for it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Honestly i wouldn't buy a Wiiu at this point, the system is dying and a lot of the big games wont even be developed for the console.

So i would go with the 3ds or put the money aside or at least wait until the WiiU gets another pricedrop.

BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts

I have both, and the 3DS definitely has the better library of games. But I wouldn't want to miss out on a future Zelda, Mario 3D Land, etc.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

3DS XL

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zijuun

Thanks @Jacanuk I agree that WiiU isn't worth the 250 $ right now. I'd gladly buy it if it was around 200 $ (where it seems it's worth).

Thanks @BadNewsBen I also agree that the 3DS has some really good games while WiiU I can see some (but not worth 50/60 $.

Bump~ Anyone else?

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zijuun

@Jacanuk I agree that WiiU isn't worth the 250 $ right now. I'd gladly buy it if it was around 200 $ (where it seems it's worth).

@BadNewsBen I also agree that the 3DS has some really good games while WiiU I can see some goo games (but not worth the 50/60 $).

Thanks for answering!

Bump~ Anyone else?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Get the 3DS.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts

The 3DS is a definite 'yes'. There are more than enough games to be worth a purchase.

As for the WiiU...I bought one lastweek and I'm certainly enjoying it so far. I'm glad I waited a year to purchase it, since I've now got 6+ games in my backlog worth playing, and some great stuff coming soon/next year. I don't see mine gathering dust for a good long while.

If you can find a good bundle/price for it, you might be able to pick up enough games now to justify a purchase. Then again, if you're on the fence about the current library, there's no rush - pick it up when your most wanted Nintendo title gets released.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

Definitely a 3DS, because it describes a next-gen-gamer-on-the-go type,I feel bothered that I don't have it myself(damn studies prevent me from having my hands on it)

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

I really don't know which I'd recommend. I love handhelds, which is why I bought my 3ds on day 1, but I never did get around to buying a Wii U. If you like action RPGs and playing online, I'd highly recommend Heroes of Ruin if you go with the 3DS- classic loot gathering with online play and voice chat on a handheld. It is awesome.

Truvietplaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Truvietplaya
Member since 2003 • 659 Posts

3DS. Wait until Mario Kart come out for the Wii U to get it.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

How is this a question? Wii U is a hot mess at the moment while the 3DS is a beast.

OldDadGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OldDadGamer  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 3518 Posts

Bought a WiiU for my kid, who loves it, and found myself enjoying it far more than I thought I would. The games are, for the most part, fluffy bubblegum just-trying-to make-you-smile fun. Have yet to come across one that's great art, but when you want something that isn't all that serious, it's a great escape. I think that if it was your only console you'd find yourself wanting something more substantial gamewise, but if you already have all the others pick it up.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#14 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Well here's what I'll list as good games for each system that are out right now or coming out in the near future.

3DS:

• Super Mario 3D Land
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
  • Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  • Pokémon X/Y
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Mario Kart 7
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2 (maybe)
  • and Link Between Worlds will be out this Friday

WiiU:

• New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi U
  • Lego City Undercover (I actually hear it's pretty good)
  • Pikmin 3
  • Wonderful 101
  • Rayman Legends (though this is multiplatform)
  • Sonic Lost World (that depends on how much you like Sonic)
  • Wind Waker HD
  • And Mario 3D World is out on Friday as well.

as of right now the 3DS has a few more good 1st party games namely because it was out before the WiiU. Of course both have the Eshop of downloads both old Nintendo games and indies like Cloudberry Kingdom and The Cave. And both are backwards compatable with Wii and DS, so you got that too.

Since you said you just want to kick back with Nintendo games, I won't go into any detail over hardware specs.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts

@kbaily: I'd add Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies to your 3DS list, plus a bunch of solid RPGs like the Etrian Odyssey titles. I've also heard that ZombiU is a highly underrated title on the WiiU, but I'm still waiting for my copy to ship so I can't really confirm it myself.